Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2011, 18:49   #3046
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by joommen View Post
Last year the roads were packed from 23rd onwards on Coimbatore route, hope good sense will prevail and none of the politicians will try any cheap publicity stunts during the holidays. Drive safely.
A few political outfits in TN have announced a road blockage (all roads from TN to Kerala) on December 21, 2011. I guess they would not spoil things during the vacation crowd - I would be traveling to Bangalore on December 24. Hopefully things don't get bad (I am planning to go via Nilambur-Gudalur-Mysore so that I can reduce the distance in TN and also try for some spottings in the Mudumalai-Bandipore section).
Old 12th December 2011, 09:39   #3047
BHPian

Thanks Binai.

I am not sure about this route as I heard the directions are not marked; is that true?

The second route under consideration is Madurai-Thenmala-Punalur.

The common man can cross their hands, and wait for a quick solution. Heard that farmers on both sides are most affected parties in addition to the drivers.
Old 12th December 2011, 11:06   #3048
Team-BHP Support

My relatives have informed that it is not advisable to use the Dindigul-Theni-Mundakayyam route to get to Kerala owing to riots and processions owing the dam issue. Just thought i'd put it up here as well.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:09   #3049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
My relatives have informed that it is not advisable to use the Dindigul-Theni-Mundakayyam route to get to Kerala owing to riots and processions owing the dam issue. Just thought i'd put it up here as well.
Thanks for the update. How about regular route like Bangalore>>selam>Coimbatore>palakkad? Is there any problem reported in this area?
Old 12th December 2011, 14:04   #3050
BHPian

T-Bhpians,

Pls be aware of the MDMK's road blockade on all roads to Kerala on 21st December. More info here - MDMK to seal six entry points to Kerala in Kovai - southindia - Tamil Nadu - ibnlive
Old 12th December 2011, 14:19   #3051
Senior - BHPian

Lot many cases of unrest getting reported day by day, read some issues in Gudalur as well. Whether the only entry-exit point from Kerala to Bangalore will be Mysore-Calicut? We are a group of 3 vehicles waiting for a safe drive to Kottayam on 22nd eve or 23rd morn.
Old 12th December 2011, 14:31   #3052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Lot many cases of unrest getting reported day by day, read some issues in Gudalur as well. Whether the only entry-exit point from Kerala to Bangalore will be Mysore-Calicut? We are a group of 3 vehicles waiting for a safe drive to Kottayam on 22nd eve or 23rd morn.
Jacs, The Gudalur that they are referring to in the news is the town between Cumbum & Kumily and not the Gudalur in the Nilgiri Dist. AFAIK I have not read about any issues being reported from the Gudalur en-route to Nadugani Ghats & Nilambur.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 14:43   #3053
Senior - BHPian

is the Bangalore > Salem > Coimbatore > Palakkad > Thrissur route safe for travel? we would be driving down to Thrissur this weekend. i wanted to check whether we need to switch routes to Bangalore > Mysore > Calicut.
Old 12th December 2011, 14:52   #3054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Jacs, The Gudalur that they are referring to in the news is the town between Cumbum & Kumily and not the Gudalur in the Nilgiri Dist. AFAIK I have not read about any issues being reported from the Gudalur en-route to Nadugani Ghats & Nilambur.
Agree with Lloyd,the Gudalur being mentioned is the one near Cumbum. Cumbum, Tamil Nadu to Kumily, Kerala - Google Maps

No issues on the Gudalur near Bandipur.Its too long a shot for anything to happen there as that would affect their own revenues coming from Ooty tourists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
is the Bangalore > Salem > Coimbatore > Palakkad > Thrissur route safe for travel? we would be driving down to Thrissur this weekend. i wanted to check whether we need to switch routes to Bangalore > Mysore > Calicut.
No problems with Coimbatore route yet.Like I said,I really dont foresee much trouble in any other parts except for the Theni & Kumily routes as Xmas time too much of goods traffic and human travel happens on this route(not to mention of all that methyl alcohol spirit) that flows into Kerala from TN.There is too much at stake for a protracted road block in between these two states
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 14:55   #3055
BHPian

Quote:
Same with me jacs. I am also planning to drive to Pandalam on 23rd morning. My regular route was Via Kumily as i have to drop a person there. And few times i have tried Via Thenkasi - Punalur route also.
Anyway above 2 options are ruled out, and even not much idea about the situation via Salem - Coimbatore.
Now the other 2 options are via Mysore - Calicut or Mysore - Gudalur - Nilambur. Till now not heard any issues with Gudalur - Nilambur route.
Let's wait and see.
Old 12th December 2011, 16:27   #3056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Agree with Lloyd,the Gudalur being mentioned is the one near Cumbum. Cumbum, Tamil Nadu to Kumily, Kerala - Google Maps

No issues on the Gudalur near Bandipur.Its too long a shot for anything to happen there as that would affect their own revenues coming from Ooty tourists.
No problems with Coimbatore route yet.Like I said,I really dont foresee much trouble in any other parts except for the Theni & Kumily routes as Xmas time too much of goods traffic and human travel happens on this route(not to mention of all that methyl alcohol spirit) that flows into Kerala from TN.There is too much at stake for a protracted road block in between these two states
Am planning to drive down from Chennai to Thrissur via krishnagiri-coimbatore way with my wife, would you suggest to take the risk of going by car or should I just take the flight?

Please do help as I was really looking forward to go by car, wanted to leave on the 15th. Anyone please do update.
Old 12th December 2011, 16:29   #3057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Am planning to drive down from Chennai to Thrissur via krishnagiri-coimbatore way with my wife, would you suggest to take the risk of going by car or should I just take the flight?

Please do help as I was really looking forward to go by car, wanted to leave on the 15th. Anyone please do update.

The Walayar route is fairly safe. What state is your car registered in? If it is a TN registration, there is nothing to worry at all. Things are very safe once you are in kerala.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 16:36   #3058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post

There has been odd instances of stone throwing at Kerala buses last week on the Coimbatore-Walayar stretch. But, now it has stopped, and private vehicles were not targetted. I don't think the issue will escalate further in the coming weeks. And as Binaiks said, if your vehicle is not Kerala registered then there is nothing to worry. Inside Kerala it is perfectly safe
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 16:40   #3059
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Same with me jacs. I am also planning to drive to Pandalam on 23rd morning. My regular route was Via Kumily as i have to drop a person there. And few times i have tried Via Thenkasi - Punalur route also.
Anyway above 2 options are ruled out, and even not much idea about the situation via Salem - Coimbatore.
Now the other 2 options are via Mysore - Calicut or Mysore - Gudalur - Nilambur. Till now not heard any issues with Gudalur - Nilambur route.
Let's wait and see.
What about Salem->Perundurai->Kangeyam->Udumalpet->Munnar-> and then to Kottayam/Pandalam or other places? I dont see any problem in that route. Little roundabout but better than going all the way to Nilambur.
Old 12th December 2011, 16:41   #3060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The Walayar route is fairly safe. What state is your car registered in? If it is a TN registration, there is nothing to worry at all. Things are very safe once you are in kerala.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
There has been odd instances of stone throwing at Kerala buses last week on the Coimbatore-Walayar stretch. But, now it has stopped, and private vehicles were not targetted. I don't think the issue will escalate further in the coming weeks. And as Binaiks said, if your vehicle is not Kerala registered then there is nothing to worry. Inside Kerala it is perfectly safe
Thanks for the update, my car is indeed a TN registered car.

Just for my estimation, how long do you think this route can be covered? Will it be possible under 12 hours? This will be longest journey I will have ever taken, before this I drove only till Salem and back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks