Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 18:30   #3076
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
I am planning to do Cochin-Bangalore this sunday(18th) via Trichur-Pallakkad-Coimbatore-Salem-Krishnagiri. Mine is a Kerala registered vehicle. Any issues in travelling in this route? I am travelling with my Family. Or should I take the calicut-mysore-bangy route?
The issue is getting softened gradually as the rains stopped and the dam is out of danger, thats what I heard from a friend. Anyways, there shouldn't be a problem in taking NH47 route as the route will be much crowded and lot of takers will be there from both the states. You may take this route itself, unless something serious happen by then.

I clicked on the quote button but by mistake, clicked on a THANKS
Old 13th December 2011, 18:49   #3077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to do Cochin-Bangalore this sunday(18th) via Trichur-Pallakkad-Coimbatore-Salem-Krishnagiri. Mine is a Kerala registered vehicle. Any issues in travelling in this route? I am travelling with my Family. Or should I take the calicut-mysore-bangy route?
No issues as of now,go on the NH47 itself.Its blowing over.
Old 13th December 2011, 20:45   #3078
BHPian

Hi,

Just came across this news below

News Today - An English evening daily published from Chennai

Hope things will be better, as a lot of us will be hitting the road for holidays. I wish BHPians should start a sms service to warn each other (who are already on road with no access to internet). Just a suggestion, but this can be implemented I believe.

Thanks,
Jacob
Old 14th December 2011, 09:35   #3079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joommen View Post
Hi,

Hope things will be better, as a lot of us will be hitting the road for holidays. I wish BHPians should start a sms service to warn each other (who are already on road with no access to internet). Just a suggestion, but this can be implemented I believe.

Thanks,
Jacob
Just mailed you my contact number. I am planning to drive on 23rd or 24th afternoon via CBE-PGT to Kochi. What is your drive plan?
Old 14th December 2011, 14:34   #3080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joommen View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
Jacob
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Just mailed you my contact number. I am planning to drive on 23rd or 24th afternoon via CBE-PGT to Kochi. What is your drive plan?
Guys, it's our annivesary and I have a trip planned to Kochi last week of December. I start from Chennai early hours on 24th. I'd like to be kept in the loop as well if you'd be so kind. I really am skeptical about this trip but as I said it's our annivesary and we don't want to miss this trip.

I take my usual route: Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Ottapalam - Shoranur - Thrissur - Kochi. Given my start time, I think I'll cross CBE max by noon on 24th.

Last edited by ssh1979 : 14th December 2011 at 14:36.
Old 14th December 2011, 16:06   #3081
Senior - BHPian

we'll be driving down to Thrissur most probably on 19th (date not fixed yet) and will be taking the Bangalore > Krishnagiri > Salem > Coimbatore > Palakkad > Thrissur route. will update this thread while passing from Coimbatore to Palakkad. hopefully, the journey will be uneventful.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 18:48   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
The last question reminds me of the news I heard last week. The route through Wayanad ghats will have traffic restrictions from Jan 2 for about a month as the entire stretch, including the 6 hair-pin bends that is yet to have interlocking surface, will be dug up and relaid. Please plan appropriately. I hope cars will be allowed but it will be a one-way convoy system and the traffic direction switching every 30 mins or so. So, please plan accordingly and try to avoid taking private buses during this period. KSTRC is planning to run mini-buses from Lakkidi to Adivaram during this period and you need not purchase separate tickets for this service.

I tried to find the recent Bangalore->Calicut thread but could not figure out the right one. Can anyone point me there and perhaps make this posting there as well or provid a link to this one?
ajithbr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 00:27   #3083
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
we'll be driving down to Thrissur most probably on 19th (date not fixed yet) and will be taking the Bangalore > Krishnagiri > Salem > Coimbatore > Palakkad > Thrissur route. will update this thread while passing from Coimbatore to Palakkad. hopefully, the journey will be uneventful.
From my recent Bangalore-Coimbatore-Palakkad experience:
Please note that there are numerous diversions for road widening on the Chengapalli-Coimbatore and L&T Bypass-Walayar stretches so avoid this if possible or select a non-truck peak hour to pass this stretch.
One alternative is to turn off NH47 at Perundurai and go to Pollachi via Kangeyam. In fact from Pollachi you can also get back onto NH47 on the Palakkad-Thrissur stretch (you can avoid Palakkad this way).
Look at earlier posts regarding these. Also our resident experts @ranjitp1, @ajithbr and @kala are always there with minute details

Last edited by NPV : 15th December 2011 at 00:29.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:39   #3084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
The best route is :

NH 7 and Nh 47 till vijayamangalam.
Then take the right to tiruppur(at vijayamangalam, via uthukuli) and from there to pollachi via palladam.

Pollachi to thrissur is a breeze, atleast until vadakkencherry.
Old 16th December 2011, 13:13   #3085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
The last question reminds me of the news I heard last week. The route through Wayanad ghats will have traffic restrictions from Jan 2 for about a month as the entire stretch, including the 6 hair-pin bends that is yet to have interlocking surface, will be dug up and relaid. Please plan appropriately. I hope cars will be allowed but it will be a one-way convoy system and the traffic direction switching every 30 mins or so. So, please plan accordingly and try to avoid taking private buses during this period. KSTRC is planning to run mini-buses from Lakkidi to Adivaram during this period and you need not purchase separate tickets for this service.

I tried to find the recent Bangalore->Calicut thread but could not figure out the right one. Can anyone point me there and perhaps make this posting there as well or provid a link to this one?
Good to see you back Ajith.Havent been seeing you around . This is the link to the Bangalore-Calicut thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2612664
Old 16th December 2011, 14:19   #3086
Senior - BHPian

I am driving to TVM on 24th or 25th on NH7 through Nagerkoil. Hope there are no issues in the southern border between KL and TN on NH47.

Last edited by vasoo : 16th December 2011 at 14:21.
Old 16th December 2011, 18:02   #3087
BHPian

Planning to drive down to Trivandrum from Bangalore via NH7 on 24th morning around 5AM. Which are the recommended places to have breaks for breakfast and lunch on the way?
Old 16th December 2011, 20:44   #3088
Senior - BHPian

AS per news, Keralites are attacked in Tirupur and KeSRTC stopped services between Palghat and Coimbatore. Some demands Keralites to leave TN within 24 hrs! Don't know whats happening

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th December 2011 at 09:08. Reason: spelling correction
Old 16th December 2011, 21:29   #3089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AS per news, Keralites are attached in Tirupur and KeSRTC stopped services between Palghat and Coimbatore. Some demands Keralites to leave TN within 24 hrs! Don't know whats happening
jeez! that's not good. now i'm wondering if i should change the route
Old 16th December 2011, 23:19   #3090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AS per news, Keralites are attached in Tirupur and KeSRTC stopped services between Palghat and Coimbatore. Some demands Keralites to leave TN within 24 hrs! Don't know whats happening
Bad news! Looks like situation is getting out of hand!

Most Viewed