Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 10:21   #3121
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Just blew a fortune on flight tickets

I didn't want to risk driving (Chennai - Kochi, originally planned for 24th). I thought the risks were too high and not worth it. Even if there are no agitations, I'm wary of heavier traffic, blockades and diversions. And I can't imagine the event of even a single stone being pelted at my beloved, with wife and kid inside.

And, anyday, I would blindly take an extensive & experienced traveller like hvkumar's opinion as advice
ssh1979, It is better to be safe than sorry esp with your family with you. I guess you took the right decision.

My friend crossed Walayar by 7.30am in the morning driving from Chennai with a set of Fake TN number plates (Illegal but street smart considering the situations)
Old 20th December 2011, 10:34   #3122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Thanks hvkumar. Looks like we will have to settle for KTDC Tamarind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
From Gudalur to Nilambur is around 50 kms and includes a ghat section, so it would be pretty late by the time you reach there - past 10:30 PM most probably. Most hotels start closing around that time, KTDC may not be an exception. So I think it'd be safer to try finding some place in Gudalur itself for dinner.
+1.

Since Pariwar is looking at Veg options, it wouldn't be advisable to continue on to Nilambur. Hotels in kerala (especially the Veg ones) would start closing down past 9PM itself. Non-Veg restaurants are often available until about 11PM. Gudalur-Nilambur is about 53 kms, of which about 19 kms is the Ghat section. The ghat is twisty all the time, plus chances of low visibility, would mean you'd take about 30-60 minutes for this distance.

Continuing to Nilambur is certainly risk. You'd have to have you dinner at Gudalur itself.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 11:32   #3123
BHPian

I am scheduled to visit Club Mahindra in Munnar from the 24th to 28th of this month. I was planning to drive via Dindigul-Theni but now don't want to take the chance. What are the alternate routes where I can cross over from Karnataka into Kerala directly without hitting TN?
Old 20th December 2011, 12:16   #3124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I am scheduled to visit Club Mahindra in Munnar from the 24th to 28th of this month. I was planning to drive via Dindigul-Theni but now don't want to take the chance. What are the alternate routes where I can cross over from Karnataka into Kerala directly without hitting TN?
The easiest alternative route for you would be via Mysore-Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta-Kozhikode (bypass)-Thrissur-Angamaly-Perumbavoor-Kothamangalam-Munnar. See the route here.
Old 20th December 2011, 12:27   #3125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The easiest alternative route for you would be via Mysore-Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta-Kozhikode (bypass)-Thrissur-Angamaly-Perumbavoor-Kothamangalam-Munnar. See the route here.
Is this better than the Nilambur-Shoranur route? Never driven on that side of Kerala and I need to get to MC road to get home.
Old 20th December 2011, 12:33   #3126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joommen View Post
Heard that none of the TN vehicles are getting damaged in KL but some anti-social elements are creating the trouble in TN; none of the main stream politics involved. Madurai-Thenmala-Punalur route is said to be peaceful.
This probably would have been the case earlier, but now it seems even the TN devotees are not spared.

The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : Tension spreads to Tirunelveli-Kerala border

It is really unfortunate that two states and people with so much in common are trapped in this situation.
Old 20th December 2011, 12:39   #3127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Is this better than the Nilambur-Shoranur route? Never driven on that side of Kerala and I need to get to MC road to get home.
That was a specific answer to jaganm. He wanted a route that does not touch TN at all. The Nilambur-Gudalur route goes via TN.

There are been no incidences of violence on the Gudalur route, and that route is decently safe. The distance in TN is just about 45 kms, so not much scope for trouble.

The Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur route is actually the shortest route to get to central Kerala from Karnataka, however, the reserve forest and ghats would mean one takes more time to cover.
Old 20th December 2011, 12:49   #3128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was a specific answer to jaganm. He wanted a route that does not touch TN at all. The Nilambur-Gudalur route goes via TN.
Ok same requirement for me, the map is little off, didn't make out that you have to enter TN. Thanks for the map, will be using that road to get home.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:09   #3129
BHPian

Anyone riding to Trivandrum on Saturday, 24th early morning ( planning to start around 4 AM ) ? I would be starting from Marathahalli , maybe we can join on the way and go as a group.

Taking the below route :
Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Madurai - Tirunelveli - Nagercoil - Trivandrum.

If anyone is planning the same route and at the same time, PM me so that we can sync up.
Old 20th December 2011, 15:10   #3130
BHPian

^^ I too planning to start at ~4AM on 24th from Marathahally; but taking Mysore-Gudalloor route to Ernakulam
Old 20th December 2011, 15:17   #3131
BHPian

Visiting Vythiri mid-January. I am weighing the options of driving down myself and hiring a cab, and the road conditions will determine my choice.

Can anyone help with advice?
Old 20th December 2011, 15:25   #3132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way to avoid going all the way to Kozhikode in this route? Can I turn off to south somewhere after Adivaram? GM shows a route through Manjeri. Not sure if this is correct. How is the condition of rod between Gundlupet and Adivaram?
Old 20th December 2011, 15:27   #3133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Visiting Vythiri mid-January. I am weighing the options of driving down myself and hiring a cab, and the road conditions will determine my choice.

Can anyone help with advice?
Easily driveable.Road conditions are ok,nothing alarming as you wouldnt be climbing down the Thamarasserry ghat which is going to be closed for repairs from 1st week of january and traffic restrictions are going to come in place.

BLR-Mysore : 2.5-3hrs
Mys-Gundulpet: 1-1.5hr
Gundulpet-Vythiri:2hours
Old 20th December 2011, 15:31   #3134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Is there a way to avoid going all the way to Kozhikode in this route? Can I turn off to south somewhere after Adivaram? GM shows a route through Manjeri. Not sure if this is correct.
You can take a left at Thamarassery, and go via Mukkam, Manjeri, Perinthalmanna, Melepattambi, Shoranur, Thrissur, Angamaly and so on.

I am not sure if it would give any time advantage at all, since the roads are not in great shape, AFAIK.

Alternatively, you can go via Manjeri, Malappuram, Changuvetty, Valanchery, Kuttipuram, Kunnamkulam to Thrissur. There is another shorter route - one has to take a left shortly after Adivaram, and go via Chembukadavu, Thiruvambady, Mukkam, Manjeri and so on.. But this route is very narrow, and could be lonely at times.

For a new-comer, the easiest would be to stick to the highway itself -S.Bathery -> Kalpetta -> Kozhikode (bypass) -> Kuttipuram -> Kunnamkulam -> Thrissur ->Angamaly..
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 17:30   #3135
BHPian

Hi everybody,

I am planning to drive down to Kecheri from Bangalore on 23rd morning (10 AM start). I am thinking of taking the Gudalur-Nilambur route in view of the current situation.

As I can start only around 10 AM, I am thinking of avoiding Mysore road. The two options are

1) Bangalore-Kanakapura-Mallavali-Mysore-Gundlupet
2) Bangalore-Kanakapura-Chamrajanagar-Gundlupet

Which would be a better option given the time of the day?

The rest of the route would be Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Wandur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Kecheri

1) Is this the best route or is there any other alternative?
2) I have not travelled the Gundlupet - Pattambi stretch before - how are the roads in this stretch and what would be the approximate travel time for the same?
3) What is the current road condition between Pattambi and Perumpilavu?

Also, is there any recommended place for lunch between Gundlupet and Gudalur. Currently, I am thinking of stopping at CCD at Gundlupet (I hope to reach Gundlupet by 1:30 pm).

Any suggestions for a tea stop around Nilambur?

Thanks and Regards,
Sajid

Most Viewed