Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 19:19   #3136
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
+1.

Since Pariwar is looking at Veg options, it wouldn't be advisable to continue on to Nilambur. Hotels in kerala (especially the Veg ones) would start closing down past 9PM itself. Non-Veg restaurants are often available until about 11PM. Gudalur-Nilambur is about 53 kms, of which about 19 kms is the Ghat section. The ghat is twisty all the time, plus chances of low visibility, would mean you'd take about 30-60 minutes for this distance.

Continuing to Nilambur is certainly risk. You'd have to have you dinner at Gudalur itself.
Just after Gudalur bus stand that comes on your left while going towards Nilambur/Ooty, you have an ICH (Indian Coffee House) on your right. If it belongs to the same named hotel chain (looked like it !), then it may be a good option for you. There are a couple of hotels, including Harithagiri, just on your right at the point where you exit the Mudumalai/Theppekadu forest as well. Beyond Gudalur, it is going to be 'Swamiye Saranam' only :-)
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 22:31   #3137
BHPian

Quote:
You can take a left at Thamarassery, and go via Mukkam, Manjeri, Perinthalmanna, Melepattambi, Shoranur, Thrissur, Angamaly and so on.
Quote:
There is another shorter route - one has to take a left shortly after Adivaram, and go via Chembukadavu, Thiruvambady, Mukkam, Manjeri and so on.. But this route is very narrow, and could be lonely at times.
Can i take either of the above routes from tamarassery or adivaram to reach calicut (via mukkam). If so how is the road condition? I wanted to avoid taking thamarassery churam since i was told it is in really bad shape.
Old 20th December 2011, 23:09   #3138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Can i take either of the above routes from tamarassery or adivaram to reach calicut (via mukkam). If so how is the road condition? I wanted to avoid taking thamarassery churam since i was told it is in really bad shape.
If you are coming from Mysore side and want to avoid Thamarassery churam in order to reach Calicut, you have two options.

1) Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Areekode - Mavoor - Calicut (or Nilambur - Mukkam - Calicut)
2) Mysore - HD Kote - Mananthavady - Kuttiyadi - Perambra -Calicut

I am not sure of the road conditions in the above routes.

Thamarassery churam was bad with a little bit of patch work done the last time I travelled (October beginning). I am told that some more patch work has been done.
Old 20th December 2011, 23:35   #3139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thamarassery churam is NOT is as bad shape as it is being made out to. The surface is decently patched up - there are potholes, but my Punto could manage all of them. You would not be doing great speeds anyways on the section that the potholes would dent average speeds.
Old 21st December 2011, 06:00   #3140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post
As I can start only around 10 AM, I am thinking of avoiding Mysore road. The two options are

1) Bangalore-Kanakapura-Mallavali-Mysore-Gundlupet
2) Bangalore-Kanakapura-Chamrajanagar-Gundlupet

Which would be a better option given the time of the day?
Option (2) without doubt. No point going to Mysore via Bannur Road. The road isn't as good as NH209 and it'd probably be longer as well.

Quote:
The rest of the route would be Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Wandur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Kecheri

1) Is this the best route or is there any other alternative?
2) I have not travelled the Gundlupet - Pattambi stretch before - how are the roads in this stretch and what would be the approximate travel time for the same?
3) What is the current road condition between Pattambi and Perumpilavu?

Also, is there any recommended place for lunch between Gundlupet and Gudalur. Currently, I am thinking of stopping at CCD at Gundlupet (I hope to reach Gundlupet by 1:30 pm).

Any suggestions for a tea stop around Nilambur?
The route via Wandoor is probably the shortest, and as per reports seen here it has improved from what it was some time ago. But no first hand knowledge, maybe someone else can fill in on this.

Don't recall seeing any good restaurant between Gundlupet and Gudalur. There's the JLR place just outside the Bandipur sanctuary, but never tried the restaurant there (I'd assume they have one ?). So Gundlupet would be the safest bet.

You should get plenty of places in Nilambur for a Tea break. KTDC Tamrind is one that I've seen most recommended.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 14:17   #3141
BHPian

Quote:
Thamarassery churam is NOT is as bad shape as it is being made out to. The surface is decently patched up - there are potholes, but my Punto could manage all of them. You would not be doing great speeds anyways on the section that the potholes would dent average speeds.
Thanks for the update binaiks. I wouldnt mind going a bit slow. By the way, when did you last travelled in this route?

Quote:
If you are coming from Mysore side and want to avoid Thamarassery churam in order to reach Calicut, you have two options.

1) Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Areekode - Mavoor - Calicut (or Nilambur - Mukkam - Calicut)
2) Mysore - HD Kote - Mananthavady - Kuttiyadi - Perambra -Calicut

I am not sure of the road conditions in the above routes.

Thamarassery churam was bad with a little bit of patch work done the last time I travelled (October beginning). I am told that some more patch work has been done.
Thanks sajidclt. Just got to know that one of my friend is taking the option 2 to reach Mananthavady on 23rd Dec and i will update his feedback as soon as i get it. Meanwhile, it would be helpful if someone can shed some light on the road condition beyond Manathavady to Calicut.

As far as the first option is concerend, many BHPians have suggested that should be ideal route but i am bit concerend on the volatile situation in TN/KL borders. Just waiting and watching if the situation improves by the time i travel on 24th
Old 21st December 2011, 15:14   #3142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Option (2) without doubt. No point going to Mysore via Bannur Road. The road isn't as good as NH209 and it'd probably be longer as well.
Have you done this route recently? I travelled on this almost a year back - route was okay at that time. I hope it has become better

Quote:
The route via Wandoor is probably the shortest, and as per reports seen here it has improved from what it was some time ago. But no first hand knowledge, maybe someone else can fill in on this.
I am hoping I would be able to take this route as planned. I have the Bathery route as a backup just in case things are not well in the borders.
Quote:
As far as the first option is concerend, many BHPians have suggested that should be ideal route but i am bit concerend on the volatile situation in TN/KL borders. Just waiting and watching if the situation improves by the time i travel on 24th
In fact, I too am planning to take the Gudalur-Nilambur stretch on 23rd. I am also in "wait and watch" mode. Will update you with my experience once I travel.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Amartya : 22nd December 2011 at 06:25. Reason: Fixed the quoted post. Thanks.
Old 21st December 2011, 15:40   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you done this route recently? I travelled on this almost a year back - route was okay at that time. I hope it has become better
Yes I must travelled on NH209 to Gundlupet at least 15-20 times within the past 1.5 years. The road is still very good, so I never take SH17 these days.

As for the Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore route, it's more than a year since I did it the whole way, that time it had bad patches off and on. A couple of months ago I did travel from Malavalli till Bannur, and found the road to be rough starting from about 4-5 kms before Bannur, no idea of the current state of that road beyond Bannur.
Old 21st December 2011, 19:04   #3144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as the first option is concerned, many BHPians have suggested that should be ideal route but i am bit concerend on the volatile situation in TN/KL borders. Just waiting and watching if the situation improves by the time i travel on 24th
Quote:
In fact, I too am planning to take the Gudalur-Nilambur stretch on 23rd. I am also in "wait and watch" mode. Will update you with my experience once I travel.
Infact I am travelling tomorrow evening to Kottayam via Mysore. Planning to take Gudalur route after checking the news and updates till tomorrow noon. Any red signs will make me stick to Calicut route. Shall try to update you once I reach.

Last edited by Amartya : 22nd December 2011 at 06:25. Reason: Fixed the quoted post. Thanks.
Old 21st December 2011, 19:28   #3145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update binaiks. I wouldnt mind going a bit slow. By the way, when did you last travelled in this route?
I last traveled by this route in November 2011 (about a month back). Back then, patch works were in progress, and the road should be in better health now.

About the Mananthavady-Kozhikode section: Mananthavadi to Panamaram is fairly decent. Not excellent, but good enough. Panamaram to Kalpetta is good for about 40% of the distance, and bad-to-worst in the remaining 60%. But this was in November this year - re-tarring work was in progress at that time, and I hope the works are over by now.

Kalpetta onwards is fairly good. There are some huge potholes around Kalpetta town - just be careful to avoid them.
Old 21st December 2011, 19:37   #3146
Senior - BHPian

Palakkad side

Coimbatore-Palakkad route is open after being blocked during the day, but lines of vehicles waiting to cross the border are from Kanjikode to Walayar or almost 15-20 kms long. No problems in Kerala side, cops themselves are advising motorists to be extra-cautious in TN.

Some used the smaller roads from Mannarkad to Coimbatore via Attapady, Agali, Anakatti to Coimbatore. One of our friends faced some stone-throwing but the official version is that it is peaceful!

Pollachi-Palakkad road faced severe blockade, and also the KG Chavadi road, earlier today.

Trivandrum side

NH47 between Trivadnrum & Nagercoil was totally blocked earlier today, but now traffic is moving.

Tenmala-Schencottah route was closed, some damage reported.

Kozhikode side

Mysore-Gudalur-Nadugani route was blocked totally.

Theni side

All roads leading to KL - Theni-Kumili, Theni-Poopara and Udumalaipet-Chinnar - were blocked, and I guess is still blocked.

The Mysore-Gundulpet-Sultan;s Battery-Kalpetta-Kozhikode route is unaffected because it is KA-KL border without TN in between.
hvkumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 20:44   #3147
BHPian

Hi Kumar,

Thanks so much for the update, is there any way we can bypass the area where night riding is banned? -to reach Kozhikode from Mysore.

Thanks for the advise.
Old 21st December 2011, 20:58   #3148
BHPian

Gudalur Report

Just had a word with a reputed hotel at Gudalur. There was blockade and stone throwing in the morning hours, targeting KL registration vehicles. The police came quickly and arrested people and dispersed the mob. No reported incidents later in the day.

I was also told that they are not targeting KA registered vehicles.
pariwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 21:51   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joommen View Post
Thanks so much for the update, is there any way we can bypass the area where night riding is banned? -to reach Kozhikode from Mysore.
There is a way - you'll have to go via Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Kutta-Mananthavady-Kalpetta-Kozhikode. The road is bad in the Gonikoppa-Kutta section. I had done this route early in November this year - the road is inexistent in many places. There is hardly a single lane, and driving at night would be tough. This route is used by a lot of buses at night, and hence expect heavy traffic.

Last edited by binaiks : 21st December 2011 at 22:11.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 00:09   #3150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Kozhikode side

Mysore-Gudalur-Nadugani route was blocked totally.

The Mysore-Gundulpet-Sultan;s Battery-Kalpetta-Kozhikode route is unaffected because it is KA-KL border without TN in between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Gudalur Report

Just had a word with a reputed hotel at Gudalur. There was blockade and stone throwing in the morning hours, targeting KL registration vehicles. The police came quickly and arrested people and dispersed the mob. No reported incidents later in the day.

I was also told that they are not targeting KA registered vehicles.
Fingers crossed for my travel tomorrow! My plan is to drive via Gudalur in the evening once dark. Plan is to break in Nilambur, stay in a family friend's house and resume next day morn.

Most Viewed