Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 21:57   #3241
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

My friend twice stayed at Hotel Gee Bee Palace (Near Surya Hotel/Pvt bus stand - Angamaly) and that time the tariff for non a/c double room was around Rs. 1200 (Its NOT a bar attached hotel)

Edit: Check this thread for better results http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-rates-54.html

Last edited by coolclouds : 2nd January 2012 at 21:58.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:48   #3242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good place to stay (URL/Phone#) with family (2 adults + 2 kids) in both Angamaly and Aluva? This is for a family who is planning to visit Thiruvairanikulam temple during the annual 12-day opening of the same starting next sunday. Also, please provide the exact directions to the temple starting with where the exact deviations in both NH-47 and MC Road?

Thanks,
-Ajith
How is the usual route via NH-47 these days? Planning a drive this weekend to Ernakulam this weekend. Specifically, looking for info on the stretch from Chengampally/Avinashi till Mannuthy/Trissur as I am sure that either side (Bangalore->Chengampally and Mannuthy->Ernakulam) are just great as usual !

Will start around 4 AM from Bangalore and so comment on whether Kangeyam/Palladam(+Pollachi/Vadakkanchery) or Palakkad/Shoranur/Thrissur detour is HIGHLY recommended over the usual route !
Old 4th January 2012, 23:18   #3243
Senior - BHPian

Chengampally - CBE bypass : Lots of diversions, but they are manageable with lots of finished sections
CBE Bypass : Great
CBE Bypass (Madukkarai) to Kerala border (Walayar) : Minefield, totall broken surfaces, large potholes
Walayar to Palakkad : Decent road - watch out for broken surfaces near Kanjikkode
(Palakkad to Trichur : No recent drives,hence no idea)
Old 4th January 2012, 23:50   #3244
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How is the usual route via NH-47 these days? Planning a drive this weekend to Ernakulam this weekend. Specifically, looking for info on the stretch from Chengampally/Avinashi till Mannuthy/Trissur as I am sure that either side (Bangalore->Chengampally and Mannuthy->Ernakulam) are just great as usual !

Will start around 4 AM from Bangalore and so comment on whether Kangeyam/Palladam(+Pollachi/Vadakkanchery) or Palakkad/Shoranur/Thrissur detour is HIGHLY recommended over the usual route !
It's actually a tricky question to answer !
Hope this helps (based on my recent experience driving on this stretch from Bangalore-Palakkad).

While there are several diversions on the Chengapalli-Coimbatore sector it is by far driveable except when you're in the midst of truck traffic and regular day time traffic with too many private buses and 2 wheelers.

If you're on this stretch during a non-peak hour it should be fine.

However, keep in mind that after the L&T Coimbatore bypass ends (which is also being widened from what I've heard), there is road widening work and huge craters too that you need to negotiate till you pass Walayar and that is treacherous !.

If you're familar with Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi you can turn off at Perundurai before/after hotel Annalakshmi and you should find yourself on better roads till Palakkad.

Last edited by NPV : 4th January 2012 at 23:53.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:49   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Palghat - Trichur is fine except for few kms around Kuthiran. Detour through Pollachi won't be a great idea.
Old 5th January 2012, 10:26   #3246
Senior - BHPian

I did Bangalore - Aluva last week through Salem-Coimatore route. The road condition is same as what others have posted in previous posts.

Quote:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good place to stay (URL/Phone#) with family (2 adults + 2 kids) in both Angamaly and Aluva? This is for a family who is planning to visit Thiruvairanikulam temple during the annual 12-day opening of the same starting next sunday. Also, please provide the exact directions to the temple starting with where the exact deviations in both NH-47 and MC Road?

Thanks,
-Ajith
I am from Aluva. The only decent hotel in Aluva is Periyar and it is not worth what they charge - around Rs.2000 - 2500 for AC double room. It is an old hotel which was recently renovated, but the age still shows (for e.g. I encountered squeaking beds last time). Gee Bee Palace or Surya in Angamala would be a better option. I had food from Gee Bee Palace last week, it was good.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 5th January 2012 at 10:29.
Old 5th January 2012, 11:28   #3247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I did Bangalore - Aluva last week through Salem-Coimatore route. The road condition is same as what others have posted in previous posts.

I am from Aluva. The only decent hotel in Aluva is Periyar and it is not worth what they charge - around Rs.2000 - 2500 for AC double room. It is an old hotel which was recently renovated, but the age still shows (for e.g. I encountered squeaking beds last time). Gee Bee Palace or Surya in Angamala would be a better option. I had food from Gee Bee Palace last week, it was good.
As far as hotel is concerned, they have booked in Hotel Rukmini which is just where MC Road starts at main Angamaly junction/signal. I know that they have good Veg Thali meals as well, right? I have heard good comments about Gee Bee Palace too and suggested them to consider it as a back-up option in case they have a change of mind.

As far as road condition is concerned, I guess 4-Laning works around Avinashi is somewhat manageable on non-peak hours and in daylight time.
Only (unavoidable) problematic area could be Madukkarai to Walayar stretch and possibly (avoidable by taking Shoranur route) a few kms around Kuthiran.

On the other hand, heard Perinthalmanna->Pattambi route is repaired and is in good condition now. That throws up an option of Gudalur->Kalikavu route which is generally in good condition. Any confirmation on the current condition of Perinthalmanna->Pattambi route to reach Thrissur will be highly appreciated, esp. Ranjit?
Old 5th January 2012, 11:39   #3248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as hotel is concerned, they have booked in Hotel Rukmini which is just where MC Road starts at main Angamaly junction/signal. I know that they have good Veg Thali meals as well, right? I have heard good comments about Gee Bee Palace too and suggested them to consider it as a back-up option in case they have a change of mind.
I do not know about meals there. We went there for lunch very late (around 4 PM) on our way back from Athirapally/ Vazhachal falls, so meals was not available. Their dosa varieties, chapathi etc were good - not oily - and neat place.
Old 5th January 2012, 11:45   #3249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as road condition is concerned, I guess 4-Laning works around Avinashi is somewhat manageable on non-peak hours and in daylight time.
Only (unavoidable) problematic area could be Madukkarai to Walayar stretch and possibly (avoidable by taking Shoranur route) a few kms around Kuthiran.
Honestly, I don't find it very beneficial to take those long detours to avoid a few kms of bad roads. The section from Palakkad bypass to Vadakkencherry has been fully relaid. Vadakkencherry to Mannuthy is patched up - 4-laning works have commenced here, and hence the roads would get bad in the coming days. Kuthiran section is untouched.

I traveled through this section, last about 15 days ago. I was in a bus, but sitting at the first seat, right next to the driver.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:43   #3250
Senior - BHPian

Last time, when I traveled on Dec 24th night (10pm), it took me 2 hrs 20mins from K G Chavadi to Alwaye without any spirited driving and while returning, just above 3 hrs for 12 noon departure from Kaloor till L& T entrance (Just to give an understanding about the road).

I am sure it is going to be more if you detour.
Old 5th January 2012, 15:25   #3251
Senior - BHPian

Heard Idukki borders are opened for traffic. Any updates on this? Have a drive this weekend too
Old 5th January 2012, 15:30   #3252
BHPian

Hi All,

An update on the Thamarassery Ghat section roadwork. As per yesterday's Mathrubhumi (Details), the work on the hairpins would start from January 17th and is expected to be completed in one month. During this period, heavy vehicles will not be permitted on the pass. KeSRTC has arranged minibuses for commuting through the pass so that travellers are not inconvenienced. There are no restrictions on light vehicles as per the report.

I am wondering what route the KSRTC (both KL and KA) interstate buses and the private buses would take during this period.
Old 6th January 2012, 19:20   #3253
BHPian

Quote:

There has been no compelling recommendations to avoid NH-47, in both Avinashi and Kuthiran stretches during non-peak day-time hours, and hence not taking detour (from NH-47) while driving from Salem till Ernakulam. Will provide an update once I am back. Tentative plan to make Ernakulam->Thrissur->Calicut and Calicut->Nilambur->Mysore->Bangalore drives on the return as we need to touch Thrissur and Calicut.
Old 6th January 2012, 20:45   #3254
BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand, heard Perinthalmanna->Pattambi route is repaired and is in good condition now. That throws up an option of Gudalur->Kalikavu route which is generally in good condition. Any confirmation on the current condition of Perinthalmanna->Pattambi route to reach Thrissur will be highly appreciated, esp. Ranjit?
I had traveled the Perinathalmanna->Pattambi route on 23rd December and at that time, the resurfacing of the the initial portion of this road was not completed. Hopefully, it would have progressed further by now.

Quote:
There has been no compelling recommendations to avoid NH-47, in both Avinashi and Kuthiran stretches during non-peak day-time hours, and hence not taking detour (from NH-47) while driving from Salem till Ernakulam. Will provide an update once I am back. Tentative plan to make Ernakulam->Thrissur->Calicut and Calicut->Nilambur->Mysore->Bangalore drives on the return as we need to touch Thrissur and Calicut.
The route through NH-212 (now NH-766) is in much better condition than it used to be a few weeks back. Of course, you need to negotiate the hairpins, six of which are in bad condition. You could run into delays in this section depending on the time of the day and your luck Apart from this, I did not find any issues on this route (taken on 31st December). So you could consider this route too for your return.
Old 7th January 2012, 17:36   #3255
BHPian

Perundurai -> Kangeyam -> Palladam -> Pollachi -> Nenmara road

Quote:
I beg to disagree. I and my colleague went via Kangeyam -> Palladam -> Pollachi to Eranakulam in the last week of Dec, 2011. On the way back, he started a day earlier and came via Palghat -> Coimbatore route to mention that the road is in bad shape and strenuous to drive between Thrissur and Avinashi. Hence I came back via the same route that we went to Kerala.

If you are going to Thrissur or further towards Eranakulam, it is advisable to take Perundurai -> Kangeyam -> Palladam -> Pollachi -> Nemara route. Roads are in great condition and traffic is sparse. For those who wonder if it is around-about way, please check Google maps and see the difference in distance to their own satisfaction. It is negligible. There aren't many great eateries in that route though.

If you have a GPS, from Bangalore set the destination as Kangeyam. Before nearing Kangeyam update the destination as Pollachi and before reaching Pollachi again change the destination as Thrissur or Eranaulam and that will do.

On the way back to Bangalore, 3 kms after Perundurai, by the side of an over-bridge, there is a big Aryas Annachi hotel serving good veg food. The place has hygienic and big bathroom facilities which can cater to large crowd.

Again Nenmara -> Pollachi route is very scenic and is a joy to the eyes -- there are tall trees that umbrella the road, streams, paddy fields, big wind mills and what else.

Last edited by B103 : 7th January 2012 at 17:42.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks