Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 00:03   #3361
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just that do check out on how latch on to Dindigul highway at Trichy.
Its pretty easy. There will be a signboard indicating to take deviation from the NH45 for the Dindigul highway.
Old 6th February 2012, 00:09   #3362
Team-BHP Support

There was a 4-Lane bypass which was being constructed on Trichy outskirts.
Is that complete? What stage it is in?
Old 6th February 2012, 11:28   #3363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Got a live update from my friend who, is on the way to kottayam right now through the kumily route. Seems lot of diversions from dindigul till kl border for road widening. Strongly recommended not to take this route atleast for the next couple of months.
Hey Joe, thanks for the update. Is it that bad now? My friend is a frequenter in this route but hasn't flagged me red while planning for a drive next week. Not sure since he drives in dark and traffic is sparse.
Old 6th February 2012, 11:52   #3364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can also use Theni bypass.
Theni has a bypass ? Anyways it wont take more than 10 min even if you go right through it.

Quote:
There was a 4-Lane bypass which was being constructed on Trichy outskirts. Is that complete? What stage it is in?
From what i read recently, I think they're still surveying for land acquisition for the NH45-NH45 bypass ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Its pretty easy. There will be a signboard indicating to take deviation from the NH45 for the Dindigul highway.
There is a circle after the narrow ROB, you have to take left there. Its not marked and it is confusing at that junction. On the return too, you don't see signages for miles together.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:36   #3365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Theni has a bypass ? Anyways it wont take more than 10 min even if you go right through it.
Here is the link to the bypass

Quote:
From what i read recently, I think they're still surveying for land acquisition for the NH45-NH45 bypass ?!
Thanks. I thought work had already started!
Old 6th February 2012, 16:28   #3366
Senior - BHPian

Just drove from Palakkad to Chennai on my Accord (4th Feb 2012) -

Route taken - Palakkad - Walayar - Coimbatore byepass - Avinashi - Salem - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Poonamalle - Kathipara - Adyar

Total Distance - 570 kms.

Started at 5 AM. Stopped for breakfast near Avinashi at around 715 AM and resumed at 745 AM. Stopped for a coffee and bio break on the first toll booth on NH46. Then stopped again for fuel after Vellore. Reched Poonamalle at 1:00 PM. Reached Adyar at 145 PM. I would think total stoppages of around 1 hour and a total drive time of around 8 hours.

What to watch out for - Construction zones where the 2 to 4 lane conversion is happening between Walayar and Avinashi area - sharp differences between new surface and old surface height. Other than that, pretty much smooth ride. The last few kilometers between Sri Perumbudur and Poonamallee are not as even as the rest of the roads till then - the asphalt seems to have melted and become uneven.
Old 6th February 2012, 19:06   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hey Joe, thanks for the update. Is it that bad now? My friend is a frequenter in this route but hasn't flagged me red while planning for a drive next week. Not sure since he drives in dark and traffic is sparse.
well, I am not sure of the exact road conditions, but from the way my friend was explaining, it looked to be bad. Might also be due to the vehicle which he was driving (i10). He was driving during the day time and crossed these roads after 2 PM.Hence, would have encountered lot of traffic too.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:07   #3368
Senior - BHPian

Flash News:

Toll collection has resumed on the Mannuthy-Edappally section. I think it resumed today. The booth resembles a fortress - heavy police protection. I saw atleast 6 buses full of police guys, in protective gears with lathis ready! So get ready to pay for using the road (plus pay fine for overspeeding!)
Old 9th February 2012, 20:10   #3369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Flash News:

Toll collection has resumed on the Mannuthy-Edappally section. I think it resumed today. The booth resembles a fortress - heavy police protection. I saw atleast 6 buses full of police guys, in protective gears with lathis ready! So get ready to pay for using the road (plus pay fine for overspeeding!)
As expected, BJP called for Harthal in Trichur dist tomorrow from 6am to 6pm.
Old 9th February 2012, 20:12   #3370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
As expected, BJP called for Harthal in Trichur dist tomorrow from 6am to 6pm.
Actually, BJP has not called for the Harthal. Harthal call has been given by the Toll Viruddha Samrakshana Samithi (or whatever name it is ). BJP has extended support to the harthal. According to Malayala Manorama's office in Thrissur, private bus operators too are supporting the harthal.
Old 13th February 2012, 11:50   #3371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
well, I am not sure of the exact road conditions, but from the way my friend was explaining, it looked to be bad. Might also be due to the vehicle which he was driving (i10). He was driving during the day time and crossed these roads after 2 PM.Hence, would have encountered lot of traffic too.
This time we travelled via Palakkad. But coming week, we are taking Kattappana route. Shall update.

Update from Bangalore - Salem -Palakkad - Kottayam trip. Road condition is better than last time except the 4 laning deviations around Avinashi. Do expect slow driving here. Surprised to see the way Palakkad - Trissur route has bettered. Anyways the rough patches around Kuthiran is still there but not many potholes. We were driving a VW Vento and not any instance of underbody touches which clearly states the overall drive condition .
Old 14th February 2012, 09:41   #3372

Hi, I'm looking for advice on route options and conditions from Bangalore to Thirunelli temple in Wyanad. I did see an October 2011 dated discussion in the Kannur thread but that predates the recent road repairs. Also, this thread seems more appropriate.

I'm reasonably familiar with the Bangalore-Mysore-Kalpetta route but there seems to be multiple alternative options to Thirunelli from Mysore. Thanks for your time.
Old 14th February 2012, 12:38   #3373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvkm View Post
Hi, I'm looking for advice on route options and conditions from Bangalore to Thirunelli temple in Wyanad. I did see an October 2011 dated discussion in the Kannur thread but that predates the recent road repairs. Also, this thread seems more appropriate.

I'm reasonably familiar with the Bangalore-Mysore-Kalpetta route but there seems to be multiple alternative options to Thirunelli from Mysore. Thanks for your time.
The road in the best condition would probably be the one via Gundlupet - Bathery, but that would be about 60-70 kms longer than the two shorter routes - one via Hunsur-Nagarahole-Kutta and the other through Mysore-HD Kote Handpost-Bavali-Kattikkulam (both more or less the same distance - the first one may be about 5 to 10 kms longer)

I haven't travelled through either of these routes for some 4-5 months, but if things haven't changed much in the last few months, the HD Kote route would be my preferred one. Except for the 10-15 kms of bad village roads after the WLS entrance near Karapur, the road was in excellent shape all through (compared to the Nagarahole route which has considerably longer stretches of rough roads - almost 40 to 50 kms of average or below average roads between Hunsur and Kutta and some 3-4 kms between Srirangapatna and Yelivala). Even if one takes 45 minutes to cover those 10-15 kms of bad roads, you should be able to make it to Thirunelli faster than the other two alternatives.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 09:57   #3374
BHPian

Here is some good news. Avinashi byepass would be operational from next month and the entire Chengapalli-Walayar stretch widening works are expected to be completed by next March.

The Hindu : Cities / Coimbatore : Avanashi bypass gets ready for use

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 11:11   #3375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Here is some good news. Avinashi byepass would be operational from next month and the entire Chengapalli-Walayar stretch widening works are expected to be completed by next March.

The Hindu : Cities / Coimbatore : Avanashi bypass gets ready for use

-- Wind
Thats a good news and thanks for the update. Its a big relief as the major issue of crossing Avinashi town is getting solved and there is nothing much to complain between Chengampalli and Coimbatore. Now the only worry would be between Coimbatore and Walayar.

Most Viewed