Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:33   #3406
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionforcars View Post
Planning to undertake a journey from Palladam to Trivandrum
Till now I was either following the Madurai –Thirunelveli –Nagercoil route or the usual Palakkad-Ernakulam –Kollam route.

Now for a change I want to travel by this route.

Palladam-Dharapuram - Oddanchathram-Sembatti-Thirumangalam-Rajapalayam-Thenkashi-Chengottai Route.

Please advise me the route I should follow from Chengottai, and about the road condition.

I will be travelling with my 18 months old baby and I am planning for a 5 AM departure.
About the Sembatti-Thirumangalam-Rajapalayam leg, anyone knows whether Thirumangalam is a better option or Sembatti->Batlagundu->Usilampatti->Peraiyur->Rajapalayam?

It has been very very long time since I had ventured into this zone and can't commend anything myself. But some young college folks did Oddanchathram->Trivandrum on this Usilampatti route about a couple of years back, choosing Oddanchathram as a meeting point (at someone's home) of 2 groups, one coming from Palani and another from Velankanni. Did not hear any bad comments then !
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:38   #3407
BHPian

@ all thanks for your valuable comments, keeping my fingers crossed to hear about the current road condition !
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:58   #3408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Please check with Pramod. He had used the Palode option once.
His feedback was that roads were good, but they are narrow.

Here is the route link

Pramod's Post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2554991
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionforcars View Post
@ all thanks for your valuable comments, keeping my fingers crossed to hear about the current road condition !

Thanks Ampere for finding out my thread.

The road condition should not be bad but average speed could be low as you have to pass through multiple towns. Plan for a relaxed drive. No point in pushing yourself to save time. I also travelled with my daughter who was 1 yr 9 months old then. Be careful in the Thenmala ghat section as the road is very narrow in some sections.
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:23   #3409
BHPian

Thanks Pramodpk for your inputs.

The route decided as of now is

Palladam->Sembatti->Batlagundu->Usilampatti->Peraiyur->Rajapalayam->Thenmala->Palode->Nedumangadu

Vehicle-Wagon R

Open to corrections/advices.
Old 24th February 2012, 13:55   #3410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
This time we travelled via Palakkad. But coming week, we are taking Kattappana route. Shall update.
Last weekend had a long drive on the Xylo.

Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Cumbom-Cumbommettu-Kattappana (halt)-Kuttikkanam-Mundakkayam-14th Mile-Chenganassery-Alleppy-Changanassery-Tengana-Njaliakuzhy-Manarcad(halt)-Koothattukulam-Trissur-Palakkad-Salem-Bangalore

Updates :
Dindigul - Theni -Cumbom road widening is in full swing (as updated by JoeCherian earlier) and there are many deviations and narrow strecthes. I travelled suring night and was able to tackle this without much issues. May be day travellers would have to budget some extra time for negotiating this stretch.

Cumbom-Cumbommettu road had many potholes and bad stretches especially in the curves which would come as a surpise during night drives.

Avinashi is still in the deviation and rough patch state only.
Old 24th February 2012, 15:19   #3411
Senior - BHPian

I am doing Bangalore-Kochi tomorrow, may be in the afternoon. Anyone reported any traffic block at Walayar recently? Also, is the Avinashi bypass open?
Old 24th February 2012, 15:24   #3412
BHPian

Quote:
Last weekend had a long drive on the Xylo.
Avinashi is still in the deviation and rough patch state only.
Are you driving a KA-05 Xylo with T-bhp stickers? I remember spotting a Black Xylo with T-bhp stickers while returning from Cochin on 19th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I am doing Bangalore-Kochi tomorrow, may be in the afternoon. Anyone reported any traffic block at Walayar recently? Also, is the Avinashi bypass open?
Last week when I returned there was a 15-20 min traffic jam near Avinashi but nothing at Walayar.

Btw, Avinashi stretch is much better now? Which bypass are you referring to?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th February 2012 at 17:46.
Old 24th February 2012, 15:41   #3413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Last week when I returned there was a 15-20 min traffic jam near Avinashi but nothing at Walayar.

Btw, Avinashi stretch is much better now? Which bypass are you referring to?
Thanks Lloyd for the quick update. I read it somewhere that the Avinashi bypass is getting ready and will be inaugurated soon. There could be a bypass as there were no construction/road widening happened in Avinashi town.
Old 24th February 2012, 16:00   #3414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Lloyd for the quick update. I read it somewhere that the Avinashi bypass is getting ready and will be inaugurated soon. There could be a bypass as there were no construction/road widening happened in Avinashi town.
yes there is a bypass - you can see the road rejoining the current NH47 from the left while coming from Bangalore side
Old 24th February 2012, 16:13   #3415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Are you driving a KA-05 Xylo with T-bhp stickers? I remember spotting a Black Xylo with T-bhp stickers while returning from Cochin on 19th.
Yes its a KA05MG with L2D yellow sticker on rear. But its a Java Brown, misintepreted as blank in dark?

We started around 3PM from Kottayam and reached Bangalore around 3AM in the morn.

Sorry I was sleeping while my friends were driving most of the time and couldn't notice any TBHP cars.

Last edited by jacs : 24th February 2012 at 16:15.
Old 24th February 2012, 16:51   #3416
BHPian

Quote:
Yes its a KA05MG with L2D yellow sticker on rear. But its a Java Brown, misintepreted as blank in dark?

We started around 3PM from Kottayam and reached Bangalore around 3AM in the morn.

Sorry I was sleeping while my friends were driving most of the time and couldn't notice any TBHP cars.
Oh OK. I guess that's the same vehicle I spotted. I remember seeing it stopped somewhere on the 4 lane to Mannuthy 1st and then I guess we overtook you guys sometime later & vice versa.

Mine was a Minimal Grey Palio with a KA-03 regn. Btw, I don't have any T-bhp stickers on my Car
Old 24th February 2012, 16:54   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
One can byepass Paliyekkara Tollgate following the red line in the image. The small road from the northside of Paliyekkara towards the highway is not yet closed due to objection from locals.
I travelled that stretch today early morning. Saw a lot of trucks and other vehicles taking a by road just before the tollgate and then reentering some distance down. Probably they were taking the route you have marked up. I also felt that the Rs55 toll is on the higher side.
But this stretch is the best motorable road in the state as of today. The old 4lane stretch from Ankamali to Alwaye which earlier felt so good to drive suddenly felt bad.
Old 24th February 2012, 17:08   #3418
Senior - BHPian

Fortgot to update that vehicle checking by Police was very frequesnt and detailed in TN as noticed in both of my recent drives. In Hosur and Thoppur, each vehicles coming from Bangalore side were stopped and checked. Saw many vehicle's trunk opened, doors opened etc. Family travellers were not disturbed to such details though.

My friend also updated that their bus was stopped around Theni and checked each nook and corner. So as many private vehicles too.
Old 24th February 2012, 18:02   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fortgot to update that vehicle checking by Police was very frequesnt and detailed in TN as noticed in both of my recent drives. In Hosur and Thoppur, each vehicles coming from Bangalore side were stopped and checked. Saw many vehicle's trunk opened, doors opened etc. Family travellers were not disturbed to such details though.

My friend also updated that their bus was stopped around Theni and checked each nook and corner. So as many private vehicles too.
It may be because of the recent bank robbery in TN
Old 24th February 2012, 19:20   #3420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It may be because of the recent bank robbery in TN
They started checking before that too. I was stopped just before Walayar by TN cops. Boot was checked and had to open my bags.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks