Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 17:47   #3751
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Similar to deetjohn, I to plan to drive to Palakkad a couple of weekends later. Departure time will be around 1.30 pm from Hebbal area. What route would the gurus suggest?
Old 24th May 2012, 17:59   #3752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I maybe driving to KL over the weekend. I am thinking about taking the NH209 from Bannerghatta Road to Coimbatore and join NH47 from there.

I went to Coimbatore via NH209 last month and the road condition is excellent. Moreover, I thoroughly enjoyed driving on this road. But I am worried about getting stuck inside Coimbatore city.

Is this a good option to take and what is the shortest way to get onto NH47 from NH209? We are looking to drive during the day.
To avoid going into Coimbatore city, turn off NH209 at Annur (south of Sathyamnagalam) and go to Karumathampatti, which is NH47. Karmathampatti is 10 kms before Coimbatore bypass on NH47.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 18:11   #3753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Is this a good option to take and what is the shortest way to get onto NH47 from NH209? We are looking to drive during the day.
Take a left turn at Annur (the road towards Avinashi), and take the right turn that comes up after about 0.5 to 1 km - This takes you to Karumathampatti on NH47 (Distance 18km - road condition very good, sparse traffic).

However you'll need to negotiate about 10 kms of roadwork on NH47 between Karumathampatti and the start of the L&T byepass.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 20:54   #3754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
thanks a lot. Hope the traffic is not that bad till kanakpura (given that it is a friday evening). I am planning to take the NICE road from Hosur road to get out at kanakpura exit. Hope this is the best route for me (starting at 6 PM from CV Raman Nagar)
Joe, below shows the route which I hv mentioned. I believe this could least in traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-cvr_nice-exit.jpg  

Old 24th May 2012, 22:40   #3755
BHPian

Re: Current Condition of Road To kerala- Puduponnani to Calicut

Hi I just drove thro on 5th May from Irinjalakuda- Guruuvayoor-Chavakkad-Puduponnani and crossed the Jhankar (ferry -contact no of the ferry operator is 9947111299 they operate from 7 am to 7 pm) then we drove thro parapanangadi and reached chaliyam ( it was the Hartal day in Kerala ) and fortunately a hotel was open at Chaliyam named "Fast Food" had some great Puttu Kadala and Parathas very fresh. We were to take another ferry after chaliyam and drive thro to Beypore but due to hartal had to take the route to Feroke. The drive till here was very good absolutely no private bus or ksrtc bus spearheading towards you,,found the route to be very safe and relaxed. cheers
Old 25th May 2012, 17:39   #3756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Construction is still going on but its not that bad to consider other routes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Came this route day before yesterday. The works are far from over, but I see that at least one lane or the service road is done neatly – so except at the points of diversion it was not as bad as expected. Should still be better than any other route.
Thanks coolclouds and Path_Finder. I had planned to cover this stretch on 31st May during daytime but it looks like i need to change may plan due the bharat bandh scheduled on that day. So i will have to cross this stretch on 30th midnight itself. Hope it won't be much difficult to manage during nights ..

Not sure how effective the bandh on National Highways and just keeping my fingers crossed
Old 25th May 2012, 18:30   #3757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
So i will have to cross this stretch on 30th midnight itself. Hope it won't be much difficult to manage during nights ..
I always used to cover this stretch after midnight while going to Kochi and never faced any issues. Regarding Bandh, I think there won't be any problem, at least till 7 am.
Old 25th May 2012, 18:48   #3758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Not sure how effective the bandh on National Highways and just keeping my fingers crossed
There would be no safety issues per se.But getting fuel would be a major problem as all the pumps would shut down in the name of taking precautions.
Old 26th May 2012, 12:05   #3759
Senior - BHPian

Kerala is exempted from the Bandh on 31st, since it was already 'celebrated' here on 24th
Old 27th May 2012, 22:10   #3760
BHPian

Bhpians,

Have to drive to Thalassery to attend a friend's wedding. I still haven't finalized the start timings but mostly it would be a night drive. We plan to start either on Tuesday night or a 4-5am on Wednesday. So which route do you guys advise and what sort of roads to expect?
Old 28th May 2012, 12:02   #3761
Senior - BHPian

Any update on the Avinashi - Valayar road section to go towards Kochi? Is it still under construction and we need to take service road which was in bad state.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:47   #3762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Any update on the Avinashi - Valayar road section to go towards Kochi? Is it still under construction and we need to take service road which was in bad state.

Yesterday, while coming back from Vaikom, took the Avinashi bypass. There are signboards pointing to Salem. The bypass is 90% complete. One bridge towards the end is not complete. Did not notice this while going to Kerala but noticed vehicles coming from Salem side yesterday.

Walayar to coimbatore bypass is patchy. The 4 laning work seems to be stopped.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:47   #3763
BHPian

Guys- planning a trip to guruvayoor on june 3 from mysore. Accomodation booked in thrissur, so we need a good hassle free route from mysore to thrissur - can anyone give a final verdict on this?.. I went through all the posts, but need a 100% recommendation- thanks in advance.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:49   #3764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
Guys- planning a trip to guruvayoor on june 3 from mysore. Accomodation booked in thrissur, so we need a good hassle free route from mysore to thrissur - can anyone give a final verdict on this?.. I went through all the posts, but need a 100% recommendation- thanks in advance.
Any reasons for staying at Thrissur? There are lot of hotels in Guruvayur.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:52   #3765
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
If rains dont play havoc next, then you can take Nilambur option.

Gundlupet-Bandipur-Gudalur-Nilambur-Edvanna-Malappuram-Kottakkal-Kunnamkulam-Kecheri-Trichur.

If its starts lashing then good to go via Coimbattore/Pallakkad/Ottapalam-Shornur-Trichur.

As @Pramod mentioned, you can book at Guruvayur itself. Kanoos residence is very decent and nice place.
You dont to go all the way to Trichur (if Guruvayur is the only need).

Last edited by ampere : 28th May 2012 at 12:53.

Most Viewed