Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2012, 17:29   #3886
BHPian

Did Bangalore-Cochin yesterday. Had to take Velanthavalam detour from Coimbatore due to traffic block at Valayar check post. Took around 1.5 hrs to get back to NH near Chandran Nagar.

Road condition between Palghat and Trichur is pathetic. Recommed to avoid unless otherwise you are left with no other option.

Regards
Rex
Old 22nd July 2012, 12:32   #3887
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Did Bangalore-Cochin yesterday. Had to take Velanthavalam detour from Coimbatore due to traffic block at Valayar check post. Took around 1.5 hrs to get back to NH near Chandran Nagar.
Happened to travel from Bangalore to Kodungallur (THrissur) yesterday. Started from Bangalore at 0545hrs and reached home in Kodungallur at 1900hrs, after a 2.5hrs stopover at Coimbatore. There was a huge traffic block at Walayar, and we too took the route via Velanthavalam.

We crossed Ettimadai at 1500hrs, and were in Palakkad bypass (Chandranagar) at 1610hrs. We almost reached Walayar, then turned back and went through Velanthavalam. From Palakkad, we came through Ottapalam, Shoranur, Wadakkanchery, Thrissur. The road is awesome all the way from Palakkad to Thrissur via Ottapalam.
Old 22nd July 2012, 13:38   #3888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Saw this news in yesterday's 'Mathrubhumi' newspaper (6/July/2012). The reported looting happens in empty stretches of Mysore-Kozhikode road.
Seems like thugs are stopping cars especially with KL registration and cleaning people up of all valuables.

There is no need to panic but there aren't any reasons to be careless either - may be like 2 or 3 cars moving in a convoy would not be a bad idea.
Does the article mention in which particular stretch this happened? The general opinion about night driving is that highways are normally safe 24/7, but incidents like this force one to think about timing as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
From Palakkad, we came through Ottapalam, Shoranur, Wadakkanchery, Thrissur. The road is awesome all the way from Palakkad to Thrissur via Ottapalam.
Nice to know there's a good alternative to the main highway between Palakkad and Thrissur which is in ruins now. Driving on that stretch is strenuous and extremely unpleasant! How was the traffic on the route you took and approximately how much longer is the distance?

Last edited by skandyhere : 22nd July 2012 at 13:44.
Old 22nd July 2012, 16:39   #3889
Senior - BHPian

The recent reports seem to indicate that traffic blocks at Walayar are becoming far more frequent, and the road between CBE and Walayar is in pretty bad shape anyway. So I'd think the route via Pollachi-Vadakkencherry makes much more sense these days. Has anyone tried that route of late ? If so, how are the road conditions ?

Since I normally prefer to take the NH209 between Bangalore and CBE, would like to try the Annur-Karumathampatty-Kamanaikenpalayam-Pollachi road (SH165 / SH19) the next time I want to drive to Cochin. SH19 (Palladam-Pollachi) is generally well maintained all the time, so the unknowns are SH165 from Karumathampatty till you join SH19 and then the Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry stretch. Anyone travelled on these roads recently ?
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:48   #3890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
There was a huge traffic block at Walayar, and we too took the route via Velanthavalam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The recent reports seem to indicate that traffic blocks at Walayar are becoming far more frequent, and the road between CBE and Walayar is in pretty bad shape anyway.
Read in today's Mathrubhumi paper that there was a huge traffic jam at Walayar for 36 hours on Saturday morning and the line of vehicles extended 7 KMS on the Tamil Nadu side. This is because of the Onam rush.

@binaiks - Could you please give more details on the route to bypass Walayar?
Old 23rd July 2012, 10:17   #3891
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
One obvious is Pollachi-Vadakkacherry.

Or one can come till Pollachi via Palldam and then take the Palakkad route to go to Ottapalam and continue there on.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:06   #3892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

Since I normally prefer to take the NH209 between Bangalore and CBE, would like to try the Annur-Karumathampatty-Kamanaikenpalayam-Pollachi road (SH165 / SH19) the next time I want to drive to Cochin. SH19 (Palladam-Pollachi) is generally well maintained all the time, so the unknowns are SH165 from Karumathampatty till you join SH19 and then the Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry stretch. Anyone travelled on these roads recently ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
One obvious is Pollachi-Vadakkacherry.

Or one can come till Pollachi via Palldam and then take the Palakkad route to go to Ottapalam and continue there on.
I would suggest the Palladam-Pollachi-Alathur-Padur-Pazhyannur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri-Thrissur road as an alternative to the NH47.NH47 is any driver's misery today and should aptly be termed as "Kerala's sorrow". I would completely avoid it between L&T Bypass,CBE and Mannuthy.The Pazhyannur route is well maintained and wide.I use it every now and then, and during my last drive to Kerala a couple of months back I took the below route:

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...a=1,2&t=m&z=12
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 10:49   #3893
BHPian

Driving to Kumarakom this Thursday night, after going through most of the posts. As it would be a trip without halt i would want to reach Kumarakom by lunch time. Planning to leave Bangalore at 2 Am in the night. I will be following the below route
Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Vedasandur - Dindugul - Batlagundu - Periakulam - Theni - Kumbum – Kumily-Kottayam

any idea on the current road conditions and the time it would take to reach.Also is this the best route to take for return too on Sunday for drive back to Bangalore
Old 24th July 2012, 10:54   #3894
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Driving to Kumarakom this Thursday night, after going through most of the posts. As it would be a trip without halt i would want to reach Kumarakom by lunch time. Planning to leave Bangalore at 2 Am in the night.
- Dindigul-Theni : Quite many diversions
- Beyond Theni dont know the status due to current monsoon

Also do carry food, nothing opens till 6:30 7 AM. You can plan for first food break at Theni
Old 24th July 2012, 11:03   #3895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Driving to Kumarakom this Thursday night, Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Vedasandur - Dindugul - Batlagundu - Periakulam - Theni - Kumbum – Kumily-Kottayam
Since you are driving at night, you can take a slight detour, exit NH49 at Madurai and continue towards Theni. Am not aware of current Dindigul-Vathalagundu constructions and traffic past midnight. Almost a year back, it was difficult to drive at 8pm with lots of traffic. It should be fine taking the route in daytime.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 11:10   #3896
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Since you are driving at night, you can take a slight detour, exit NH49 at Madurai and continue towards Theni. Am not aware of current Dindigul-Vathalagundu constructions and traffic past midnight. Almost a year back, it was difficult to drive at 8pm with lots of traffic. It should be fine taking the route in daytime.
Good point. There is hardly a 20km difference. But I guess Madurai By-pass to Theni would be much better than Dindigul-Batlagundi-Theni.
Old 24th July 2012, 11:15   #3897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dindugul - Batlagundu - Periakulam - Theni

any idea on the current road conditions and the time it would take to reach.Also is this the best route to take for return too on Sunday for drive back to Bangalore
Dindigul-Theni is thoroughly avoidable as of now. Road widening work is on and there are hell lot of diversions and at most of the places you may need to drive without roads. Since, you are driving at night, it is better to go to Madurai and then do Theni.
rameshnanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 11:20   #3898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Good point. There is hardly a 20km difference. But I guess Madurai By-pass to Theni would be much better than Dindigul-Batlagundi-Theni.
Roads were cracked up in 1-2 wayside towns which is not much of a deal. Other than that, its pretty good. I entered NH49 around 1215am and saw less than 10 vehicles the entire 50-60 km stretch

It should be noted, the NH49 exit is on the NH7 bypass itself and no need to go inside town to get on Theni road.
Old 25th July 2012, 09:33   #3899
BHPian

guys,
What is the best route to Parambikkulam wild life sanctuary from Cochin? Googls maps is showing one route via Thrissur-Wadakkenchery-nemmara-muthalamada-Anaimalai-Parambikkulam and another one via Chalakkudy-Valparai-Aliyar-Anamalai. Route via Valparai is little longer and will involve jungle/ghat roads but more scenic. Does anyone have updates on road conditions.
Old 25th July 2012, 09:57   #3900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Route via Valparai is little longer and will involve jungle/ghat roads but more scenic. Does anyone have updates on road conditions.
As per last updates, Chalakudy-Valpara is in good condition, though its narrow.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks