Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 14:27   #4006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Vaikom Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
[b]...Had to spend lot of time at toll booths - Thoppur - around 10 mins, Krishnagiri around 15 mins and Attibele around 20 mins. The line of Vehicles stretched to almost a KM at around 9:30 PM. Luckily nobody jumped the queue anywhere.......

...Lesson Learnt - NH 7 - NH 47 route will be the fastest even if there are no road blocks. I covered Vaikom - Bangalore in 10.5 hours in May....
This is the reason why I still stick on to NH47. Small towns, local traffic and extra distance will reduce average speed especially for a day travel.

Considering the time taking at toll booths, I am more inclined towards Kanakpura-Satyamangalam route now. The road surface is too good and average running time would be almost same.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:52   #4007
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Vaikom Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
This is the reason why I still stick on to NH47. Small towns, local traffic and extra distance will reduce average speed especially for a day travel.

Considering the time taking at toll booths, I am more inclined towards Kanakpura-Satyamangalam route now. The road surface is too good and average running time would be almost same.
Or take the Nilambur route. This is the shortest to Kochi and come via Kanakpura road. If the road condition remains the same, I would consider this on my return during the next trip.
Old 21st August 2012, 17:08   #4008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk

Or take the Nilambur route. This is the shortest to Kochi and come via Kanakpura road. If the road condition remains the same, I would consider this on my return during the next trip.
Yes, Nilambur route is shortest, but the traffic may be high once get into Kerala. I am planning this route for Onam holidays, to leave Bangalore by 4pm to avoid traffic on Kerala roads. Only issue will be the humps.
Old 21st August 2012, 17:25   #4009
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Yes, Nilambur route is shortest, but the traffic may be high once get into Kerala. I am planning this route for Onam holidays, to leave Bangalore by 4pm to avoid traffic on Kerala roads. Only issue will be the humps.
Quote:
Nilambur route is good to take before 7am or after 9pm!In between 7am and 9pm traffic is a killer between Vazhikadavu and Kulappully(if you intend to take the Pattambi route).
Old 21st August 2012, 18:05   #4010
Senior - BHPian

Did Cochin Bangalore on last Sunday, drove through Thrissur, Shornur, Kolapully, Palakkad, Pollachi, Kangayam, Perudurai Munnar. Took me 11.5 hrs with a 1 hr lunch break in Pollachi. I am driving to Kerala in another 2 weeks, hope Kuthiran will be repaired by then! .
BTW
1. Is Shornur, Vadakanchery, Nenmara, Pollachi a better option?
2. Got 2 speed tickets, 1 in Vytila bypass after the Vytila junction signal, second was on Kulapully, Palaghat route, should be around 25 kms before Palghat. Please beware.

Adding to the trouble is the long queues at toll plazas. I would have lost around 1 hr for this, one at Bangalore border being the worst

Last edited by gadadhar : 21st August 2012 at 18:06.
Old 21st August 2012, 19:09   #4011
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
1. Is Shornur, Vadakanchery, Nenmara, Pollachi a better option?
A better option would be : Shornur-Pazhyannur-Kollengode-Pollachi
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 19:19   #4012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A better option would be : Shornur-Pazhyannur-Kollengode-Pollachi
Thanks Ampere. I am hoping Kuthiran will be done in 2 weeks, if not will try this road. I hope the road condition is good
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:42   #4013
BHPian

I'm planning to drive down to my hometown (Pathanamthitta) this weekend. Planning to take the Salem, Dindigul, Theni, Cumbam, Kumily, Mundakkayam, Ranni route. Has anybody traveled through this route recently? How are the road conditions? Planning to leave on Saturday early morning around 4:30.
My other option is to go via Kozhikkode, take a break at my in-laws' place and drive down next day morning. I've driven via Coimbatore, Palakkad, Thrissur once, before 3-4 years back and I had a horribly long journey that time.

Last edited by A350XWB : 22nd August 2012 at 07:48.
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:44   #4014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I'm planning to drive down to my hometown (Pathanamthitta) this weekend. Planning to take the Salem, Dindigul, Theni, Cumbam, Kumily, Mundakkayam, Ranni route. Has anybody traveled through this route recently? How are the road conditions? Planning to leave on Saturday early morning around 4:30.
My other option is to go via Kozhikkode, take a break at my in-laws' place and drive down next day morning. I've driven via Coimbatore, Palakkad, Thrissur once, before 3-4 years back and I had a horribly long journey that time.
Road widening is on between Dindigul and Theni. You should be prepared for bad roads if you decide on this route. Alternately, you can do Dindigul-Madurai-Theni which would be around 40-50 kms more.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:08   #4015
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I'm planning to drive down to my hometown (Pathanamthitta) this weekend. Planning to take the Salem, Dindigul, Theni, Cumbam, Kumily, Mundakkayam, Ranni route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Road widening is on between Dindigul and Theni. You should be prepared for bad roads if you decide on this route.
Alternately, you can do Dindigul-Madurai-Theni which would be around 40-50 kms more.
Use this to bypass Dindigul-Theni:

Didnigul-Theni Alternative

Last edited by ampere : 22nd August 2012 at 10:17.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:10   #4016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I am hoping Kuthiran will be done in 2 weeks, if not will try this road.
Read in manorama news that there is no progress on the repair of Kuthiran inspite of assurance from CM that the work will be done in 10 days. Only 1.5 KMs has been repaired. For those who can read Malayalam, here is the link.

Manorama Online | Malayalam News | Latest News |
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:04   #4017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Read in manorama news that there is no progress on the repair of Kuthiran inspite of assurance from CM that the work will be done in 10 days. Only 1.5 KMs has been repaired. For those who can read Malayalam, here is the link.

Manorama Online | Malayalam News | Latest News |
Thanks Pramod. There is some protest going on today, hope things will change in next few days.
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:19   #4018
BHPian

I am driving to Kerala (near Aluva) this Saturday. The plan is to start at 4AM in the morning.
Hearing all the horror stories of palakkad-trichur road, and the uncertainty at Walayar, I am seriously thinking of taking the Mysore-Nilambur route.

This is the route that I am planning: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...z=10&via=1&z=9
Has anyone taken this route? How good are the roads and what about the traffic?
What would be a realistic drive time, if we start at 4AM from Bangalore?
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:57   #4019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I am seriously thinking of taking the Mysore-Nilambur route.
This is the route that I am planning
Has anyone taken this route? How good are the roads and what about the traffic?
What would be a realistic drive time, if we start at 4AM from Bangalore?
Bangalore to Nilambur via Mysore-Gundlupet, road was in pretty good condition when I traveled in May. Nadugani ghats was also in good condition then, but things could have changed post monsoons. There are road humps every kilometer inside Bandipur forests which would slow you down, other than that, its a breeze all the way. Beyond Vazhikadavu, expect typical Kerala road traffic!
Also note: I heard, ever since Chamravattom bridge was opened, traffic has increased in leaps and bounds on NH17 (NH66) Chavakkad to N. Paravur. So would not be a bad idea going on to trichur mannuthy bye pass directly from Perinthalmanna via shornur, hitting the 4 lane highway till Aluva and then deviate towards N. Paravur. May be some regulars on the route could throw light on this.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:18   #4020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Also note: I heard, ever since Chamravattom bridge was opened, traffic has increased in leaps and bounds on NH17 (NH66) Chavakkad to N. Paravur. So would not be a bad idea going on to trichur mannuthy bye pass directly from Perinthalmanna via shornur, hitting the 4 lane highway till Aluva and then deviate towards N. Paravur. May be some regulars on the route could throw light on this.
While the traffic has increased, there isn't much effect on the route. Considering the fact that the destination is North Paravur, I think it would be better to continue through Kunnamkulam-Chavakkad-Kodungallur-Kottapuram-N.Paravur itself. Going via Thrissur bypass would mean paying that Toll, and then driving under the constant fear of getting speeding tickets!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks