Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 12:11   #4141
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post

2. NH 48 (Vellore -> Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri ->) and Salem - Ernakulam Highway/NH 544

B. Approximately how much time to factor for each way and is it do-able (not too tiring for a single driver)within Saturday (Onward)and Sunday(Return) ?
My vote goes for the Vellore-Kgiri-Salem-Avinashi-Coimbatore-Walayar-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-EKM.Doable in about 12-13hrs with breaks approx 750kms.

Whether doable on a saturday to and sunday fro is totally dependent on you.Its just a touch and go thing,there is hardly any time for you relax,if you are ok with that kind of driving do it,else its your call.If you leave Chennai around 4 in the morning,you should be in EKM at 4-5 in the evening(assuming you dont run into any jams at any place,nobody can ever predict jams on Indian highways).
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 16:42   #4142
BHPian

Hi,
I am planning a trip to Kanyakumari in my Tata Safari with a couple of friends and need some info on the approx time it would take for me to cover the following routes
Day 3 Gokarna, Karnataka - Bekal, Kerala - wayanad - 475 kms
Day 4 wayanad, Kerala - Kochi, Kerala - Alleppey -- 335 kms

We are planning to start from Wayanad in the evening and reach Alleppey by midnight. Are the road conditions favorable for this & also is it safe?
Old 19th September 2012, 17:22   #4143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Thinking of a Chennai to Aluva road trip this weekend (a family trip and no train tickets available)
Chennai - Chengalpet - Ulundurpet - Kallakuruchi - Attur - Salem - Bhavani - Perundurai - Palladam - Pollachi - Kollengode - Nemmara - Koduvayur - Vadakkanchery - Thrissur/Mannuthy - Chalakudy - Angamaly - Aluva, except 13 Km at Vadakkanchery all the roads are superb. Expect 15 Km of diversions, not bad road, as you approach Salem from Vazhapadi.

This is the condition as of 16-Sep-2012

Start by 4:00 in the morning, you can be at Ulundurpet by 6:30 AM at A2B; buy or have B'Fast & reach Salem by 8:30 to 9:00 AM. Enroute to Bhavani (just 50 Km from Salem), there're plenty of places to have BFast on the highway. You can reach Pollachi sooner or for lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
My vote goes for the Vellore-Kgiri-Salem-Avinashi-Coimbatore-Walayar-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-EKM.Doable in about 12-13hrs with breaks approx 750kms
Salem via Krishnagiri is to be avoided not only longer route but also due to ongoing 6 lane widening construction between Vellore to Krishnagiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Gokarnam - Bekal takes almost a day with the treacherous Bhatkal in between; expect an easy 10 hours drive with breaks

Quote:
Where in Wayanad? Wayanad is a district like Coorg.

If it's Bekal, then Bekal to Kozhikode isn't an issue; this is all I know; my long term memory says roads are bad at Alapuzha; however, this stretch CAN BE done in a day, might take about 13-14 hours with break though.

Quote:
We are planning to start from Wayanad in the evening and reach Alleppey by midnight. Are the road conditions favorable for this & also is it safe?
It is safe, there's nothing concerning safety unless you're driving on a Hartal day.

Last edited by aargee : 19th September 2012 at 17:30.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 17:47   #4144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Gokarnam - Bekal takes almost a day with the treacherous Bhatkal in between; expect an easy 10 hours drive with breaks

Where in Wayanad? Wayanad is a district like Coorg.

If it's Bekal, then Bekal to Kozhikode isn't an issue; this is all I know; my long term memory says roads are bad at Alapuzha; however, this stretch CAN BE done in a day, might take about 13-14 hours with break though.

It is safe, there's nothing concerning safety unless you're driving on a Hartal day.
Pardon my ignorance but what's treacherous about Bhatkal?
I have no idea where in Wayanad. We were planning to stop at Bekal for a couple of hours and then move further south and stay somewhere in Wayanad. Is there a recommended place?
Old 19th September 2012, 18:39   #4145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea where in Wayanad. We were planning to stop at Bekal for a couple of hours and then move further south and stay somewhere in Wayanad. Is there a recommended place?
Bekal to Gokarna is via the infamous NH17 and after every rains the highway breaks up and so it has this year also.In Wayanad,you could stop at Vythiri which has many resorts.Wayanad is actually a deviation which wouldnt serve much in your long drive(not discounting the fact that it is a very beautiful place),instead drive straight to Kochi from Bekal.

There are interior roads from Bekal to Vythiri,Sulthan Batheri(all in Wayanad district),but if you are going stick to the main highways since I am assuming you wouldnt be well versed with the local language.Also Wayanad IMO takes a good 2 days to do justice.Just a drive by is not at all reccomended.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 08:34   #4146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to give you an idea, pls see this route - http://goo.gl/maps/cAC1P I was told this journey takes about 3-4 hours during mid of the day; so we dropped the idea of visiting Gokarnam & returned back to Chennai.

Want to know the timing back to Chennai?
Kollur - 9:00 AM
Udupi - 10:15 AM
Mangalore - 11:35 AM
Sakaleshpur - 1:40 PM
Hosur - 5:14 PM
Which includes the worst part of Shiradi ghats (during 2011) that took away 1:30 hours easily & another 45 minutes break at Sakaleshpur for lunch; this means, a little over 450+ Km in 7-8 hours; I was scared of a mere 120 odd Km as I don't have patience for 3-4 hours for such a short distance by car.

I leave the rest to you to imagine as how bad Bhatkal notorious stretch can be

Quote:
Yes, there're 2 place in Bekal to consider...
1. Right next to Bekal fort there's a hotel called Nirvana; don't worry about cleanliness, it's very good; my take is, you should question the hygiene & cleanliness only when you step into TN You can bargain with these guys & tell them you belong to riding club (mention you're part of CBR 250R guys from Chennai if you want). Vaguely remember that the room tariff here is around 1500 or so for A/C two bed.

2. Some good hotel that n_aditya knows better as he stayed there; pls PM him

Last edited by aargee : 20th September 2012 at 08:39.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 09:05   #4147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Just to give you an idea, pls see this route - http://goo.gl/maps/cAC1P I was told this journey takes about 3-4 hours during mid of the day; so we dropped the idea of visiting Gokarnam & returned back to Chennai.

Want to know the timing back to Chennai?
Kollur - 9:00 AM
Udupi - 10:15 AM
Mangalore - 11:35 AM
Sakaleshpur - 1:40 PM
Hosur - 5:14 PM
Which includes the worst part of Shiradi ghats (during 2011) that took away 1:30 hours easily & another 45 minutes break at Sakaleshpur for lunch; this means, a little over 450+ Km in 7-8 hours; I was scared of a mere 120 odd Km as I don't have patience for 3-4 hours for such a short distance by car.

I leave the rest to you to imagine as how bad Bhatkal notorious stretch can be
So from what I am understanding, the problem area is the stretch between Honavar & Kundanpura. The road improves after this.
I guess we can live with an avg. speed of 30km/hr on this stretch for a couple of hours.
As for doing 120 kms in 3-4 hours, when i head to my hometown Meerut from Delhi in the evenings, this is the average time taken.So we are pretty used to wasting our time in traffic jams.

So Gokarna-Bekal would take approx 7-8 hours. If we leave Gokarna at 5-6 am we should be in Bekal by afternoon which will give us a couple of hours in Bekal. Then heading further south from Bekal I now see 2 options either take a detour to Vythiri, Kerala, India or head straight to Kozhikode. Which one is recommended?
Old 20th September 2012, 09:32   #4148
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I am planning a trip to Kanyakumari in my Tata Safari with a couple of friends and need some info on the approx time it would take for me to cover the following routes

From Bekal, you can take Payyanur - Chiravakku (1km before thalipparamba town)- Take left to Srikantapuram - Iritty - Peravur - Nedumpoyil - Mananthawadi (Wayanad) and see the places in Wayanad and go to Alleppey via Vaithiri - Thamarassery and join in NH

Around Bekal, you can consider http://www.nalandaresort.com/contactus.htm which is in NH17 side at Nileswar.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 15:00   #4149
BHPian

Any repair work carried out in Alappuzha (Kommadi) - kayamkulam section of NH? Any idea
Old 20th September 2012, 15:35   #4150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Any repair work carried out in Alappuzha (Kommadi) - kayamkulam section of NH? Any idea
As per a friend traveled that route to TVM yesterday, the road is not repaired/in bad condition.
Old 21st September 2012, 08:16   #4151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So Gokarna-Bekal would take approx 7-8 hours. If we leave Gokarna at 5-6 am we should be in Bekal by afternoon
We left Kollur by 9:00 AM & reached Udupi by 10:15 & approx 11:45 at Mangalore with a 10 min break. Deduct about 30 min for Kollur to Kundapura, so that should be a little over 2 hours of aggressive driving. Mangalore-Bekal should take not more than 90 minutes. Your estimate of afternoon is very much justified for relaxed driving.

Quote:
Then heading further south...one is recommended?
What is your destination & objective? If it's only drive & enjoy scenics I can suggest wonderful route that will stay evergreen in your memory. But if you're going towards a destination (like to attend a wedding or meet a friend with a purpose) then carry on to it.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 09:03   #4152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi,

- Is there a need to visit Gokarna while coming via Goa or you are look it more from routing standpoint?
- Because, if not then a better way to hit Waynad would to go via Jog/Hassan/Mysore
- Its equally rewarding in terms of what I call "scenic quotient" ! (How is SQ for new abbreviation ! )

You can do : Panaji-Karwar-Ankola-Honnavar-Sagar-Shimoga-Tarekere-Chikkamagulur-Belur-Hassan-Mysore-Gundlupet-Waynad.

As you can see you have an equally good option view lot may places. Near Sagar you can see Jog. And then you also have Chikkamagulur/Belur etc.

Roads are good all across.

Route link for the above

For Waynad-Alleppey-KK

- You can do the regular NH17 till Kuttipuram (Waynad - Calicut bypass - Kuttipuram)
- Kala/Ajit/HVK/Dhanush mentioned about new bypass roads now is Calicut. Do check that out.
- Once on NH17 come down till Kuttipuram.
- At Kuttipuram, get off NH17 and turn to Kunnamkulam
- I remember Ajitbr mentioning that its a beautiful SH and is much better than taking the crowded NH17.
- From Kunnamkulam take the road to Trichur and then get on to GQ to reach Ernakulam.
- There are options to bypass Kunnamkulam too.

Beyond Ernakulam I guess its already known.
Old 21st September 2012, 09:39   #4153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Is there a need to visit Gokarna while coming via Goa or you are look it more from routing standpoint?
- Because, if not then a better way to hit Waynad would to go via Jog/Hassan/Mysore
- Its equally rewarding in terms of what I call "scenic quotient" ! (How is SQ for new abbreviation ! )

You can do : Panaji-Karwar-Ankola-Honnavar-Sagar-Shimoga-Tarekere-Chikkamagulur-Belur-Hassan-Mysore-Gundlupet-Waynad.

As you can see you have an equally good option view lot may places. Near Sagar you can see Jog. And then you also have Chikkamagulur/Belur etc.
@ampere, it will be good to take Hassan - Hunsur - Nagarhole National Park (gate closed between 05:30pm to 6am)- Kutta - Manathawadi route instead of Mysore - Gundlupet. Tholpetty and Thirunelli temple comes in this route.

Also note that you will miss Gokarna along with Bekal in this.

Thanks
Rajesh

Last edited by RajeshK : 21st September 2012 at 09:40.
Old 21st September 2012, 10:04   #4154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
@ampere, it will be good to take Hassan - Hunsur - Nagarhole National Park (gate closed between 05:30pm to 6am)- Kutta - Manathawadi route instead of Mysore - Gundlupet. Tholpetty and Thirunelli temple comes in this route.

Also note that you will miss Gokarna along with Bekal in this.

Thanks
Rajesh
Totally agree you to you on that.

- Thats why I asked him, if visit to Gokarna temple is a must?
- Also why I did not suggest Nagarhole, was because I was not sure, if he could get his routes correctly. Mysore-Gundlupet is a much easier option.
- If he can manage via Nagarhole, nothing like it !
Old 21st September 2012, 11:59   #4155
BHPian

Experts,

I am planning a BLR - MUNNAR trip and was wondering on the best option to take?

1. BLR - SALEM - CHENGAPPALLI - UTHUKULI - TIRUPPUR - PALLADAM - UDUMALAIPETTAI - MUNNAR

2. BLR - SALEM - DINDIGUL - AVOID DINDIGUL THENI - MUNNAR

From previous posts and personal experiences option 1 - upto Chengappalli and option - 2 upto Dindigul is a breeze, the issue is about the subsequent stretches.

Please advise.

Most Viewed