Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 08:24   #4186
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

I did BLR - Cochin last week.

L&T is not spending a single pie in maintaining the road and it shows. The road surface is very uneven and dangerous. The tar is melted on top and the surface is not flat. And I wonder what is stopping them from making it a 4 or 6 lane road.

Less said about the stretch between L&T bypass and Walayar, the better. And KeSRTC terrorize the other motorists to go fast over the bad bits.
Old 5th October 2012, 08:43   #4187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Less said about the stretch between L&T bypass and Walayar, the better. And KeSRTC terrorize the other motorists to go fast over the bad bits.

How was Kuthiran stretch? Any improvements there? I did not see much in the last few pages on this thread, Looks like Pollachi is a perfect alternative.
Old 5th October 2012, 09:24   #4188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How was Kuthiran stretch?
I didn't take that route. I took the Chelakkara - Vadakkaancherry - Thrissur route. Narrow and longer, but very good roads with low traffic.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 09:55   #4189
BHPian

Quote:
How was Kuthiran stretch? Any improvements there? I did not see much in the last few pages on this thread, Looks like Pollachi is a perfect alternative.
Unfortunately took this route last saturday. It was absolutely horrible. This is the worst condition , I have seen this stretch in. It took me almost 2.5 hours to reach mannuthy from Kuthiran. Returned via Kumily-Theni.
JoeMichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 10:09   #4190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
Unfortunately took this route last saturday. It was absolutely horrible. This is the worst condition , I have seen this stretch in. It took me almost 2.5 hours to reach mannuthy from Kuthiran. Returned via Kumily-Theni.
Did this route on Tue towards Chotanikara, returned on wednesday. On tuesday there was an accident causing a roadblock and making the Buses to innovate ways on driving!! The road is terrible and best avoided. The time to cover Kuthiran is extremely difficult to estimate due to the surface, craters and road blocks.If possible avoid this road preferably till chalakudy, else atleast till Trichur.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:24   #4191
BHPian

Did this route last weekend. The stretch between Avinashi and Trichur is deplorable...especially around Kuthiran.

From Trichur onwards the roads are great all the way till Alapuzha.

On our return we took the Alapuzha, Changanaserry, Kumily, Munnar, Udumalaipettai, Dharapuram, Kangayam, Perundurai to Salem.

Except for about 20 kms of the roads inside the Annamalai Tiger reserve (Indira Gandhi National park), the rest of roads (mostly two laned) till Salem are butter smooth with well behaved traffic and adequate signages.
Old 5th October 2012, 12:06   #4192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
Just back to Bangalore from Kottayam. Took Kumily - Theni - Dindigul - Salem route. As NFSfreak mentioned road widening is in progress and roads are virtually
non-existent at some stretches between Theni and Dindigul, but is very much manageable and would say its much easier to negotiate than the craters in and around Kuthiran. Covered the distance of 635 kms in just under 11 hours , with 2 stops.
What time did you start from Kottayam? And how much time did it take for you to reach Dindigul?
Old 6th October 2012, 08:44   #4193
BHPian

Guys, I want to visit nemmara from Thrissur. Is there an alternate way to reach wadakkenchery without going through mannuthy/kuthiran. Google maps is showing some route via chelakkara/pazhayannur. Anyone have more info on this route and road conditions? Is it worth taking alternate route or stick to NH47.
Old 6th October 2012, 12:10   #4194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
What time did you start from Kottayam? And how much time did it take for you to reach Dindigul?
Started around 5 from home reached Dindigul around 11:00
Old 6th October 2012, 13:12   #4195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover
Guys, I want to visit nemmara from Thrissur. Is there an alternate way to reach wadakkenchery without going through mannuthy/kuthiran. Google maps is showing some route via chelakkara/pazhayannur. Anyone have more info on this route and road conditions? Is it worth taking alternate route or stick to NH47.
Chelakkara-Pazhayannur-Alathur route is in good condition. No potholes and smooth mecadam surface till about 10kms near alathur. Road is comparatively narrow with lots of twists and turns. Watch out for that private buses.
They are doing some maintenance work in NH. Iam not sure if it is fully done.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 15:31   #4196
BHPian

Route to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Chelakkara-Pazhayannur-Alathur route is in good condition. No potholes and smooth mecadam surface till about 10kms near alathur. Road is comparatively narrow with lots of twists and turns. Watch out for that private buses.
They are doing some maintenance work in NH. Iam not sure if it is fully done.
If you are coming from Bangalore or Chennai to Central kerala (say Kottayam), then I recommend this route: Bangalore -> Salem -> Perundurai -> Exit highway and turn left to Kangayam -> Palladam -> Pollachi -> Meenakshipuram -> Kollengode -> Alathur -> here you cross NH -> Pazhayannur -> Chelakkara -> Vadaakkancherry -> Thanikkudam -> Mannuthy (Trissur by-pass) -> Aluva -> Sea-port airport road -> Irubanam -> Thripunithura -> Vaikom -> Kumarakom -> Kottayam

The highway between Avinashi and Thrissur is not in good condition and vehicle break-downs are frequent. It is better follow the above route than going via Coimbatore and Palakkad. Driving is a breeze via Kangayam -> Pollachi route. When coming from Pollachi, you can either meet Alathur or Nemmara in NH. If you turn left in NH on either of these points, you are heading to Kuthiran, which is not desirable because of the bad condition of the road.

You are doing a slightly circuitous route when going via Pazhayannur -> Chelakkara instead of taking NH to Mannuthy. But it is worth it. If trying NH, it would easily take more than 2 hrs to cover the 20 KM to Mannuthy because of the pathetic road condition.

I guess, because of Panchayath raj, all panchayats do have funds and so their roads are in good condition. Contrast this with NH, highway authority is stuck with the chicken & egg syndrome -- should road be widened and then asphalted or should it be asphalted and then widened!!

Last edited by B103 : 7th October 2012 at 15:35.
B103 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 18:43   #4197
Team-BHP Support

Re: Route to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
> Thripunithura -> Vaikom -> Kumarakom -> Kottayam
Is the Vaikom Kumarakom road repaired? I heard it was dug up for a long time? I think it because of some water project.
Old 7th October 2012, 21:33   #4198
BHPian

Has there been any trouble reported on the route to Kerala via Krishnagiri, Salem Avinashi. I am hearing mixed reported of some trouble near Coimbatore. Please let me know if there was any. I am traveling to Palakkad this coming Saturday.

I am reluctant to take the route via Mysore because of the protest near Mandya effecting Bangalore - Mysore highway. Is there any alternate route to Mysore without touching Mandya.
Old 7th October 2012, 22:07   #4199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharp77 View Post
Is there any alternate route to Mysore without touching Mandya.
The route via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore is a good alternative. The roads are good all the way till Malavalli, but will have a few bad stretches between Bannur and Mysore.
Old 8th October 2012, 08:40   #4200
BHPian

Re: Route to Kerala

Quote:
Is the Vaikom Kumarakom road repaired? I heard it was dug up for a long time? I think it because of some water project.
Yes, it is in good condition now. (1) It is around 20 km less via this road to Kottayam (2) You can avoid the ever congested Ettumanoor town and (3) Route is quite scenic as well
B103 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks