Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2012, 11:53   #4216

re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi,
I am planning to drive down from Bangalore to Cochin and heard that the road condition in Avinashi has not improved yet and road work from Walayar to Trichur.
Is this information true?
What are the other possible routes that I can try?

Thanks
rdee
Old 14th October 2012, 18:26   #4217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdee
Hi,
I am planning to drive down from Bangalore to Cochin and heard that the road condition in Avinashi has not improved yet and road work from Walayar to Trichur.
Is this information true?
What are the other possible routes that I can try?

Thanks
rdee
Yes what you have heard is true.Options are:

Perundurai Palladam Pollachi Kollengode Alathur Pazhayannur Wadakancheri Thrissur Kochi

Avinashi Cbe Walayar Palakkad Ottapalam Shoranur Wadakancheri Thrissur Kochi

Whatever you do,advisable not to take the NH47 between Palakkad and Mannuthy.I would go with option 1.The detailed map is given in some of the earlier posts do a search for it
Old 15th October 2012, 08:55   #4218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Avinashi Cbe Walayar Palakkad Ottapalam Shoranur Wadakancheri Thrissur Kochi
Ranjitp1 do you know the condition of the above route , i had been on the NH47 last month and it blew me off. It is so pathetic that i could go past 20km/hr.

Would also like to know the time it would take to cover the above route and also any good eat outs for breakfast on the above route .

Also not being very familiar with the thrissur town , i would like to get back into NH47 enroute to kochi .Can you throw some insights into any short cuts when coming from shoranur

TIA
Old 15th October 2012, 09:04   #4219
BHPian

Guys anyone know about the current condition of the nh47 from trivandrum to ernakulam? Is there any other route I could take?
Old 15th October 2012, 10:32   #4220
BHPian

The MC Road from Trivandrum all the way till Chengannur is in excellent condition.
From Chengannur, you can come till Changanacherri and then take the AC road to Alapuzha and from Chertala you again have good wide roads till Ernakulam.
Old 15th October 2012, 10:49   #4221
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi All,
Planning to drive to Calicut from Bangalore this Saturday. Couple of questions

1. Any latest update on the Road Conditions (Especially Gundlepet-Bathery- Kalpetta section)
2. I normally leave by 4.30-5am in the morning and take the regular Mysore route. Considering that it is in the middle of Dusserha holidays and peak rush time in Mysore, does it make sense to take the Kanakpura-Kollegala Route in spite of the early start?

Another related question for a friend driving to Cochin: What is the best route to Cochin Via Nilambur?
Old 15th October 2012, 11:28   #4222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Ranjitp1 do you know the condition of the above route , i had been on the NH47 last month and it blew me off. It is so pathetic that i could go past 20km/hr.

Would also like to know the time it would take to cover the above route and also any good eat outs for breakfast on the above route .

Also not being very familiar with the thrissur town , i would like to get back into NH47 enroute to kochi .Can you throw some insights into any short cuts when coming from shoranur

TIA
NH47 can only go worse and now after the rains its pretty pathetic especially the Walayar section and the section between Palakkad and Mannuthy.

Via the Shoranur route,Palakkad-Thrissur would take you around 1hr 45mins to 2hrs.Eateries there is one at Kulappully named Samudra Regency (www.samudraregency.com) other than this plenty of small eateries.

To Bypass Thrissur and get back to NH47 follow the below map.This map helps you bypass Thrissur without getting into the town.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...2,7,8&t=m&z=15

Feel free to pm me in case you need any more details.

The other traffic less route is Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur.You avoid the Avinashi and Walayar mess via this route.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...11,12&t=m&z=15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Another related question for a friend driving to Cochin: What is the best route to Cochin Via Nilambur?
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...11,12&t=m&z=15

Bangalore-Bandipur-Gudalur-Nadugani-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Wandoor-Pattikad-Perinthalmana-Pattambi-Kulappully-Cheruthuruthy-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Kochi

Nilambur-Thrissur would take around 4-5hrs and another 90minutes to Kochi.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 15th October 2012 at 11:35.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 13:44   #4223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Hi All,
Planning to drive to Calicut from Bangalore this Saturday. Couple of questions

1. Any latest update on the Road Conditions (Especially Gundlepet-Bathery- Kalpetta section)
2. I normally leave by 4.30-5am in the morning and take the regular Mysore route. Considering that it is in the middle of Dusserha holidays and peak rush time in Mysore, does it make sense to take the Kanakpura-Kollegala Route in spite of the early start?
1. Roads till Batherry are fine, apart from speed breakers towards KL border inside Bandipur forest. Batherry - Kalpetta is in worse stage. Will eat up lot of your time.
2. For an early start I dont think its required to factor in Dusserha crowd, since the usual Bangalore-Mysore tourist traffic peaks around 7-8AM. However for sake of decreasing driving time you can consider starting a bit early if possible.
I start from my home near Domlur around 3AM and reach Calicut by 9AM in my Alto with ~ 20 mins stop in between.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 23:03   #4224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Guys anyone know about the current condition of the nh47 from trivandrum to ernakulam? Is there any other route I could take?
I used to travel back and forth between trivandrum and ernakulam frequently via nh47. My humble request is please don't take that route at the moment if you really want to keep yourself and your car safe. Till Ochira the road is good but from there to Haripad the road condition is very bad. Entire road is filled with potholes. I wonder how the two wheelers are managed to travel through that road during night time.

Haripad - Ambalapuzha stretch is ok. Again after Ambalapuzha the road is horrible till you reach near Cherthala.

NOTE - Dont know whether any repairs done after 8th of this month(last time i came back from ekm).
Old 16th October 2012, 08:36   #4225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr

NOTE - Dont know whether any repairs done after 8th of this month(last time i came back from ekm).
My friend is driving from Angamaly to Trivandrum now. As per him, the big potholes are patched and the overall condition is not that bad.
Old 16th October 2012, 10:01   #4226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Depending on your budget,Wayanad has all kinds of places now a days.Vythiri is good to keep as your base,Green Gates resort is another nice place to stay if budget permits.Vythiri resort is good.If you want the normal hotel kind of stay then Mint at batheri is good,then there is Isaac Regency at Batheri.Windflower at Vythiri is also good.I would suggest stay at Vythiri and go around as its much more scenic.

Coorg would be a long drive imo,and roads are just about ok.
Decided to go to Wayanad and booked rooms @ Vythiri Greens at Lakkidi.

Starting from Thrissur at 6 AM on 26th and return by 28th evening.
Can someone suggest few good places which can be covered during this time. I am traveling with parents and 2 yr old kid. Few places I have shortlisted are:

Pookode Lake
Banasura Sagar Dam
Soochippara Waterfalls
Kuruva Islands
Thirunelly Temple (tentative, looks like a long drive from Lakkidi)

It will be great if someone can update on the road condition to these places and if they are worth visiting with parents and kid.
Old 16th October 2012, 10:34   #4227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
I am traveling with parents and 2 yr old kid. Few places I have shortlisted are:
Pookode Lake
Banasura Sagar Dam
Soochippara Waterfalls
Kuruva Islands
Thirunelly Temple (tentative, looks like a long drive from Lakkidi)

It will be great if someone can update on the road condition to these places and if they are worth visiting with parents and kid.
I suggest you cover Thirunelli Temple also. . You could club it with Kuruva island, they are not very far from each other if you choose Manantavady-Tholpetty route. The temple and the area around is a perfect place to enjoy nature at it's silent serene best and if you are spiritual, even more great! The drive through the forest would be thrilling for the kid. Only thing is you have to start early, say by 6 AM, visit Thirunelly first, and then proceed to Kuruva.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 13:09   #4228
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore -Vaikom via Nilambur

I will be driving to Vaikom on Sep 20th. Planning to take the Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Gudalur - Nadugani - Vazhikkadavu - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi -Kunnamkulam - Chavakkad - Koduganllor - N. Paravur - Kalamassery - Vaikom route. This route should be around 70 - 80 KMS shorter than the Pollachi - Pazhayannoor route.

I usually go via Mysore city but being Dusserha, should I avoid Mysore and take the ORR? If yes, where can I stop for breakfast? If going via Mysore, I plan to stop at Kamat Maduvan. Or should I avoid the Bangalore - Mysore road and take the Kanakpura - Kollegal - Gundlupet route?

I will be starting at 5:00 AM from Brookefields and plan to reach Mysore at 7:45 AM.
Old 16th October 2012, 13:18   #4229
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore -Vaikom via Nilambur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I will be driving to Vaikom on Sep 20th. Planning to take the Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Gudalur - Nadugani - Vazhikkadavu - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi -Kunnamkulam - Chavakkad - Koduganllor - N. Paravur - Kalamassery - Vaikom route. This route should be around 70 - 80 KMS shorter than the Pollachi - Pazhayannoor route.

I usually go via Mysore city but being Dusserha, should I avoid Mysore and take the ORR? If yes, where can I stop for breakfast? If going via Mysore, I plan to stop at Kamat Maduvan. Or should I avoid the Bangalore - Mysore road and take the Kanakpura - Kollegal - Gundlupet route?

I will be starting at 5:00 AM from Brookefields and plan to reach Mysore at 7:45 AM.
I suggest you to take Kanakpura route instead of Mysore. Beware of speed breakers and also, expect high traffic once get into Kerala roads. Budget for 12 hrs end to end with breaks.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 14:17   #4230
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore -Vaikom via Nilambur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post

Since a crucial verdict on Cauvery water sharing is expected on 19th, I would suggest you keep the option of taking Kanakapura-Chamrajnagar-Gundlupet route open. If the verdict goes against Karnataka, there could be blockades on Bangalore-Mysore road, especially around Mandya.
Not considering the above scenario, I feel there is no harm in going through Mysore city at the time you expect to be there -7.45 AM. Mysore is a calm city and on a saturday morning even on one of the nine days of dussehra, would not be too crowded.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed