Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2012, 14:31   #4291
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Actually NH212 between Kalpetta and Calicut is in very good condition. It's the stretch between Kerala border and Kalpetta that is bad. (The last 15-20 kms to Kalpetta being extremely so)

I think the route you took must have been SH33 via H.D.Kote and not the one via Nagarahole (it does skim through the southern tips of the sanctuary though). That 16 km stretch through villages has been known to be in terrible shape (Yes it is only 16 kms though it feels like at least 40 ), and had always been one of the "avoid if you can" roads.

The road through Nagarahole is somewhat better - you need to get to that road through Tholpetty-Kutta, which is a left turn at the T junction that you reach when coming from Thirunelli (The right turn takes you to Kattikulam-Bavali/Mananthavady)

The Malavalli-Kanakapura-Bangalore (NH209) route would have been a much better option. As per reports seen here, the Malavalli-Maddur sector has been bad for ages.
Thanks for the update Kala. You are right about the Kalpetta to Muthanga road condition. Kalpetta - Bathery is very bad (Esp Kalpetta - Meenangadi which is horrible) and Bathery - Muthanga is somewhat better with interspersed potholes. Mukkam - Thamarasserry is also in bad shape.

I took the route via Mananthavady - Kattikulam - Rajiv Gandhi WLS - HD Kote - Mysore. The road was fine except the 14km bad stretch after you cross the Forest area in KA.

So when you suggested taking the Kutta route do you mean that we would have to take that diversion which goes to Thirunelli temple nr Kattikulam?

I see that the route touches Hunsur and it is 21kms longer than the Bavali - HD Kote road. So how is the road condition? Is it worth driving those extra kms?

And also any idea about the road condition via NH-209 now? I mean - Kanakpura - Chamrajnagar - Sathy - Coimbatore route. I drove that route last in May.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 29th October 2012 at 14:34.
Old 29th October 2012, 15:30   #4292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
I took the route via Mananthavady - Kattikulam - Rajiv Gandhi WLS - HD Kote - Mysore. The road was fine except the 14km bad stretch after you cross the Forest area in KA.

So when you suggested taking the Kutta route do you mean that we would have to take that diversion which goes to Thirunelli temple nr Kattikulam?

I see that the route touches Hunsur and it is 21kms longer than the Bavali - HD Kote road. So how is the road condition? Is it worth driving those extra kms?
Yes - if you're on a low GC vehicle, that bad stretch near Karapur can be pretty hard on the vehicle, the Tholpetty-Kutta-Hunsur road is likely to be better. The roads on the Kutta-Hunsur stretch that runs right through the sanctuary was a bit on the rougher side when I travelled that way last (probably a year ago), but it is generally better than the SH33 diversion.

And yes, you need to take the left turn at Kattikulam and proceed past the deviation to Thirunelli, and take an acute right turn at Kutta towards Gonikoppal and then take a right turn into the Nagarahole sanctuary/Hunsur after about 5-6 kms.

Quote:
And also any idea about the road condition via NH-209 now? I mean - Kanakpura - Chamrajnagar - Sathy - Coimbatore route. I drove that route last in May.
I drove the Bangalore Chamarajnagar stretch on Friday(and on my way back yesterday), and the roads on those portions continue to be good. The Chamarajnagar-Sathy-CBE route also seems good as per reports seen here.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 16:08   #4293
BHPian

Quote:
Yes - if you're on a low GC vehicle, that bad stretch near Karapur can be pretty hard on the vehicle, the Tholpetty-Kutta-Hunsur road is likely to be better. The roads on the Kutta-Hunsur stretch that runs right through the sanctuary was a bit on the rougher side when I travelled that way last (probably a year ago), but it is generally better than the SH33 diversion.

And yes, you need to take the left turn at Kattikulam and proceed past the deviation to Thirunelli, and take an acute right turn at Kutta towards Gonikoppal and then take a right turn into the Nagarahole sanctuary/Hunsur after about 5-6 kms.

I drove the Bangalore Chamarajnagar stretch on Friday(and on my way back yesterday), and the roads on those portions continue to be good. The Chamarajnagar-Sathy-CBE route also seems good as per reports seen here.
Thanks for the detailed update. Will try the Kutta route next time. Btw, How is the Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet stretch?
Old 29th October 2012, 16:12   #4294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet stretch?
I came via this route yesterday. The ride is little bumpy in some sections. I could do 110 KM/H in some sections.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 16:53   #4295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet stretch
Yes, as Pramod said the road is quite decent most of the way except for a few short stretches which are rough. (But I never touch 3 digit speeds in that sector - generally travel between 50 and 90 only because one can never predict when the next rough patch is going to appear )

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I came via this route yesterday. The ride is little bumpy in some sections. I could do 110 KM/H in some sections.
Were you travelling from the Bathery side or from Ooty ? I was travelling from Kalpetta and got stuck in a traffic jam at the Muthanga sales tax checkpost at around 4 PM for more than half an hour. (Took a total of almost 3 hrs to travel from Kalpetta to Gundlupet). Did you get stuck there as well ??
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 17:03   #4296
Senior - BHPian

The HUnsur-Nagarahole-Kutta-THolpetty-Manathavady-Kalpetta road is in very good condition all throughout. The road to Tirunelli from beyond Tholpetty is also excellent. The only bad road in the Wayandu region is the Kalpetta-Sultan Battery road.

(Note: Update on the Nagarahole road is from 25 days ago, and conditions have not changed)
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 18:49   #4297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Thanks Ramesh. Boh hotels are in the radar. It would be more a matter of timing for me on the choice I guess
Great. Why I suggested Aryaas is that the distance between Aryaas and A2B is hardly 25 kms. You may have just 30 minutes difference between these two.
Old 30th October 2012, 15:39   #4298
Senior - BHPian

Vaikom Bangalore update

Quote:

Were you travelling from the Bathery side or from Ooty ?
I was coming from Nilambur.

Drove from Vaikom to Bangalore on 28th. Started at 6:15 AM from home and reached brookefields at 7:00 PM with breaks of around 1.5 hours. Route taken

Vaikom – Thrissur – Shornur – Kulappuly- Pattambi –Perinthalmanna – Nilambur – Gudalur – Gundlupet – Chamarajnagar- Kanakpura

Total Distance - 543 KMs.

Took more than one hour to cover the last 25 KMs. Also, lost around 10 mins in Nilambur due to a traffic jam caused by a minor accident involving a private bus.

Nilambur route would be my preferred route until Kuthiran is repaired.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:18   #4299
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vaikom Bangalore update

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I was coming from Nilambur.

Drove from Vaikom to Bangalore on 28th. Started at 6:15 AM from home and reached brookefields at 7:00 PM with breaks of around 1.5 hours. Route taken

Vaikom – Thrissur – Shornur – Kulappuly- Pattambi –Perinthalmanna – Nilambur – Gudalur – Gundlupet – Chamarajnagar- Kanakpura

Total Distance - 543 KMs.

Took more than one hour to cover the last 25 KMs. Also, lost around 10 mins in Nilambur due to a traffic jam caused by a minor accident involving a private bus.

Nilambur route would be my preferred route until Kuthiran is repaired.

Hi Pramod, how was the road condition overall? Anything to worry between Gudallur and Vazhikadavu? I may take this route for Diwali holidays, planning to start from Bangalore at 4pm via Kanakpura route, keeping Satyamangalam route as a standby.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:37   #4300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Hi Pramod, how was the road condition overall? Anything to worry between Gudallur and Vazhikadavu? I may take this route for Diwali holidays, planning to start from Bangalore at 4pm via Kanakpura route, keeping Satyamangalam route as a standby.
Make sure you take your sunfilm out,if you havent already.Checking is quite intense at most places in Kerala.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 10:39   #4301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Road conditions were mostly good. Roads are bad at few curves in the Nadugani ghats in the Kerala side but that is typical of any ghat sections. No need to worry. Pulamanthol to Pattambi is little patchy. No deep potholes. Other than these roads are mostly excellent.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 14:19   #4302
BHPian

Quote:
I can vouch for this route. Went on 20th October and returned on 24th October. Roads are awesome, traffic is sparse and driving is very comfortable.

Since my destination is Trichur/Guruvayur most of the time, I am now addicted to taking this route only.

On another point, I was surprised to see decent patchwork done on a good length of the segment between Walayar to L & T Bye-Pass. Referring to the area where you see the flyover/bridge structures. Expected craters but other than for some potholes around one or two of these, the rest were reasonably smooth sailing.
pariwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 19:34   #4303
Distinguished - BHPian

Just did a Cochin-Salem drive on 30th.

Took the Shornur-Ottapalam-Pallakad-Coimbatore-Salem route.

Cochin-Pallakad was brilliant. Just need to be careful within Thrissur and Pallakad so as to not miss the turns.

Pallakad-Coimbatore is also now much decent with most of the potholes patched up.

Coimbatore-Salem had the usual diversions/potholes for the first 20 odd kms but nothing too bad.

Vijayamangalam-Salem is the awesome 4 lane highway as usual.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 21:11   #4304
BHPian

Guys,
Planning a mysore trip with family during Diwali weekend. Couple of questions.
1. Kavery issue? Don't see anything on news recently. Assuming it's safe now.
2. PLanned date is 11th nov to 13th Nov. Is this the right time as it's Diwali weekend. I will be travelling with parents and a little kid and don't want to go if it's too crowded.
Old 5th November 2012, 08:09   #4305
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Guys,
Planning a mysore trip with family during Diwali weekend. Couple of questions.
1. Kavery issue? Don't see anything on news recently. Assuming it's safe now.
2. PLanned date is 11th nov to 13th Nov. Is this the right time as it's Diwali weekend. I will be travelling with parents and a little kid and don't want to go if it's too crowded.
#1 seems to be fine now, what with all the rains doing their part - only thing to be kept in mind is that KA has been directed to release additional 4tmc ft water to TN between now and Nov 15 so just be alert. Also, I don't think this should be a problem if you drive a KA or KL registered vehicle.

#2 needs some thought. Most regular weekends see huge crowds at Mysore and this just increases exponentially with long weekends/festival holidays.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed