Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2012, 09:03   #4351

re: All Roads to Kerala

Hello Guys,

Thanks a lot for the advice. Probably will take SBathery Kalpetta route cos its quite familiar and need to get home urgently.
Might try the new route while returning
Old 14th November 2012, 09:45   #4352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post

If destination is Kozhikode and if you are looking for good roads through out and do not mind driving around 15-20km extra, I advice to take Hunsur-kutta-Tholpetty-Manathavady-Nalam mile-Tharuvana-Padinjharethara-Pozhuthana-Vythiri-Lakkidi-Thamarashery Ghat-Adivaram-Thamarasherry-Kozhikode. The 'less travelled' but best route currently with sparse traffic. Here is the gmaps link http://goo.gl/maps/WKTSx
Will this route significantly increase/decrease the time taken to reach Kozhikode? One major issue I have with the regular Bathery route (apart from the bad stretch of road) is the increasing frequency of jams at Muthanga. Last two times I drove, I was stuck for 30-45 min at the border. What is the scenario at the border in the above route?
Old 14th November 2012, 10:08   #4353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Will this route significantly increase/decrease the time taken to reach Kozhikode? One major issue I have with the regular Bathery route (apart from the bad stretch of road) is the increasing frequency of jams at Muthanga. Last two times I drove, I was stuck for 30-45 min at the border. What is the scenario at the border in the above route?
There is hardly any checking at the border in this route, so there is no fear of any jams at checkposts. There is almost zero lorry traffic. Distance wise, this route would be around 15-20 km more, but can be easily be made up through faster driving with better roads with lesser traffic almost all the way. vis a vis the Bathery-Kalpetta-Vythiri route, this route has fewer towns to cross (the only main one being Mananthavady) and also lesser traffic. There are sign boards at almost all junctions and it is hard to miss a turn. The only issue is the forest gate closure between 6PM and 6AM.
If you need clear directions along the route, please feel free to ask me anytime.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 11:47   #4354
BHPian

Quote:
NH 212 is is absolute shambles from Meenangady till Kalpetta civil station on the S.Bathery-Kalpetta stretch (did not travel, heard from locals)

If destination is Kozhikode and if you are looking for good roads through out and do not mind driving around 15-20km extra, I advice to take Hunsur-kutta-Tholpetty-Manathavady-Nalam mile-Tharuvana-Padinjharethara-Pozhuthana-Vythiri-Lakkidi-Thamarashery Ghat-Adivaram-Thamarasherry-Kozhikode. The 'less travelled' but best route currently with sparse traffic. Here is the gmaps link http://goo.gl/maps/WKTSx
I was actually suggesting that route for Gypsy.

I had driven the Mananthavady - Kattikulam - Bavali - HD Kote route 3 weeks back and except that 14km bad stretch inside the Rajiv Gandhi WLS the roads are very good.

Last month I drove the Kalpetta - SB - Muthanga - Gundlupet route and as you said that after Meenangadi to SB it is horrible with huge craters. SB - Muthanga too has interspersed potholes. And we were stuck in a royal jam at Muthanga for 1.5 hours at 8.30am
Old 15th November 2012, 22:54   #4355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
I had driven the Mananthavady - Kattikulam - Bavali - HD Kote route 3 weeks back and except that 14km bad stretch inside the Rajiv Gandhi WLS the roads are very good.

Last month I drove the Kalpetta - SB - Muthanga - Gundlupet route and as you said that after Meenangadi to SB it is horrible with huge craters. SB - Muthanga too has interspersed potholes. And we were stuck in a royal jam at Muthanga for 1.5 hours at 8.30am
How bad are those 14 kms of roads - say when compared to the current state of the Meenangadi-Kalpetta stretch ? I recall taking about 45 minutes to cover that 14 or 15 kms the last time I travelled that way (about a year or so back), but the later reports here seemed to indicate that the road had become even more horrendous since then. So curious to know how bad it is now.
Old 16th November 2012, 11:26   #4356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
How bad are those 14 kms of roads - say when compared to the current state of the Meenangadi-Kalpetta stretch ? I recall taking about 45 minutes to cover that 14 or 15 kms the last time I travelled that way (about a year or so back), but the later reports here seemed to indicate that the road had become even more horrendous since then. So curious to know how bad it is now.
The road was pretty bad and probably worse than the Meenangadi - Kalpetta stretch. It took me about 70 odd mins to cover this stretch.

But there is some good news. I read in today's Manorama Bangalore edition that the stretch is going to be repaired. The govt has allocated 65 crores for the same and the bhoomi puja is scheduled for today. They expect the work to be completed in 7-8 months.
Old 16th November 2012, 12:29   #4357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But there is some good news. I read in today's Manorama Bangalore edition that the stretch is going to be repaired. The govt has allocated 65 crores for the same and the bhoomi puja is scheduled for today. They expect the work to be completed in 7-8 months.
Yes, read in Manoramaonline's Wayanad local news page that the work starts today and will be inaugurated by the area MP Dhruvanarayana and HD Kote MLA chikanna . The now horrible stretch of around 13 km from Dhammanamkhatta to Udgur Village will be relaid at a cost of 16.5 crores. The time frame given for completion of the work is 6 months. Not posting the link because there is a restriction now to post local language news links.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 12:40   #4358
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, read in Manoramaonline's Wayanad local news page that the work starts today and will be inaugurated by the area MP Dhruvanarayana and HD Kote MLA chikanna . The now horrible stretch of around 13 km from Dhammanamkhatta to Udgur Village will be relaid at a cost of 16.5 crores. The time frame given for completion of the work is 6 months. Not posting the link because there is a restriction now to post local language news links.
Oh OK. Thanks for the correction. I read it in a jiffy while having Tea at the local Bakery and I probably misread the 16.5 Crores as 4 times higher
Old 16th November 2012, 21:31   #4359
BHPian

I travelled the Kalpetta-Meenangadi-Sultan Bathery stretch two days back and oh boy! it's really bad. Sorry state of affairs for a NH to be in.

However, I did notice PWD/NHAI doing some relaying work at the outer limits of Meenangadi towards Kalpetta. It was a very small stretch, just about 10-15 metres or so. A road roller, some workers and an untarred but levelled patch, hopefully means that since the rainy season is over and done with, the relaying/patching of the road has started.
Old 16th November 2012, 22:25   #4360
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
However, I did notice PWD/NHAI doing some relaying work at the outer limits of Meenangadi towards Kalpetta. It was a very small stretch, just about 10-15 metres or so. A road roller, some workers and an untarred but levelled patch, hopefully means that since the rainy season is over and done with, the relaying/patching of the road has started.
I encountered a very similar situation near Muttil just before Kalpetta during my last trip in March this year. Means, the stretch that was patched up then is already being relaid now
Old 17th November 2012, 10:59   #4361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The now horrible stretch of around 13 km from Dhammanamkhatta to Udgur Village will be relaid at a cost of 16.5 crores. The time frame given for completion of the work is 6 months.
This is the stretch that is being relaid on the HD Kote - Bavali route: http://bit.ly/TWS923
I think once this is done, Mysore-Mananthavady via HD Kote - Handpost-damman katta-karapura-udbur-bavali would be a lot easier. Also during inauguration/bhumipooja, the local MP has announced that another 16 crores has been allocated for the development of Handpost-sadgur road. This would be developed into an alternate route byepassing the national park completely (joining kerala via Palvelicham) and hence would be motorable even during night.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:47   #4362
BHPian

Hi

What is the present road condition of Thripunitura - Chottanikkara - Ettumanoor road and the Pala-Ponkunnam road? Chottanikkara road was horrible a year back? How is it now?
Old 19th November 2012, 10:34   #4363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
Hi

What is the present road condition of Thripunitura - Chottanikkara - Ettumanoor road and the Pala-Ponkunnam road? Chottanikkara road was horrible a year back? How is it now?
Pala - Ponkunnam is in good shape. I went last month.

The road I took was Tripunithura - Piravom - Koothattukulam - Uzhavoor - Pala - Ponkunam. The Uzhavoor stretch, though narrow is absolutely amazing to drive.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 15:42   #4364

Quote:
The road was pretty bad and probably worse than the Meenangadi - Kalpetta stretch. It took me about 70 odd mins to cover this stretch.

But there is some good news. I read in today's Manorama Bangalore editiol that the stretch is going to be repaired. The govt has allocated 65 crores for the same and the bhoomi puja is scheduled for today. They expect the work to be completed in 7-8 months.

Hello Guys,

Just back from my bangalore-calicut trip. Avoid taking Sbathery - Kalpetta - Calicut. Horrible, burned a lot of fuel to cover this stretch . 'Instead, After Sbathery, drive about 5 Kms on the same road, there is a place, kolagappara Kavala. Take left and continue through Ambalavayal. At Vaduvanchal, take a right and you will reach Chundale. Back to the same highway, sans the pot holes. This road is far better, with a few bad spots here and there. Its about 10 Kms longer, but its worth. You will save 1 hour, time spend to navigate the pot holes on the highway.
Gypsy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 18:39   #4365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
This road is far better, with a few bad spots here and there. Its about 10 Kms longer, but its worth. You will save 1 hour, time spend to navigate the pot holes on the highway.
Given that NH212 is bad, does it now make sense to take Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Edvanna-Mavoor-Calicut route?

Though its narrow, how is the road condition?

Most Viewed