Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2012, 21:38   #4516
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Any inputs on this route to Cochin....

https://maps.google.co.in/maps/ms?ms...22207,2.469177
Reported bad sections on above route recently.

Why not consider route via Nilambur? its mostly in good shape and shorter compared to Calicut route. Else, Kanakpura-Satyamangalam-Coimbatore too may be considered.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 21:45   #4517
Distinguished - BHPian

Re-posting here from the Bangalore-Calicut thread

I am also planning to drive down on 22nd morning to Calicut. Few things I am worried out.
  • Potential jam at Muthanga: Considering that this will be the weekend prior to christmas and peak sabarimala season time expecting quite a bit of traffic at Muthanga. On my last 3 trips I have got stuck there around 9am in the morning for 30min-1.5 hrs
  • The bad roads between the border to Kalpetta
  • Start of holiday week for a lot of people (Half the non keralites I know are also headed to Kerala for vacation), Traffic is going to be on the higher side . although I start pretty early, there will be an increase in traffic due to this.

Based on this I was wondering whether it is worth exploring one of the alternative routes mentioned below:
  • Bangalore-Gundlepet-Bathery- Vaduvanchal-Meppadi-Chundale-Vythiri-Calicut (avoids the bad stretch and also Kalpetta town. Still need to pass through Muthanga)
  • Bangalore-Gundlepet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Edavanna- Areekode-Kondotty-Calicut (Avoids bad roads as well as Muthanga checkpost. Have taken this route once in a taxi)
  • Bangalore-Gundlepet-Gudalur-Meppadi-Chundale-Vythiri-Calicut (Probably not an ideal option. Just listing it anyways)
  • Bangalore-Hunsur-kutta-Tholpetty-Manathavady-Nalam mile-Tharuvana-Padinjharethara-Pozhuthana-Vythiri-Kozhikode (Found this in the recent suggestions by members. Main negative I see is the potential lack of stopping points (good restrooms mainly) after leaving the Mysore Highway
Any thoughts/suggestions?
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 09:25   #4518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
The humps are now replaced with slot/a cutting
What on earth is this? Is this a inverted speed breaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Why not consider route via Nilambur? its mostly in good shape and shorter compared to Calicut route. Else, Kanakpura-Satyamangalam-Coimbatore too may be considered.
Well, I can drive via Nilambur. Not a problem. Just not familiar with the roads around these parts.

As for the Coimbatore route, the trouble starts after Walayar and up to Trichur. I believe the roads are non existent.
Old 18th December 2012, 09:30   #4519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
  • Bangalore-Hunsur-kutta-Tholpetty-Manathavady-Nalam mile-Tharuvana-Padinjharethara-Pozhuthana-Vythiri-Kozhikode (Found this in the recent suggestions by members. Main negative I see is the potential lack of stopping points (good restrooms mainly) after leaving the Mysore Highway
I hope you meant the route through Nagerhole Reserve. This is the best route as per I came back from Kozhikode last Sunday (16/12) through this route. I found this route to be very good. Only some bad patches in Nagerhole Reserve and between Kainatty and Kambalakkad (6 Kms). If you are planning to start early morning plan the Breakfast at Cafe Coorg in Hunsur(3-3.5 hours drive from Bangalore). For Lunch, you plan either in Mananthavady or Kalpetta. For a sedate drive, it will not take more than 3 hours to reach Kalpetta from Hunsur. I had my breakfast from Kalpetta at 9.30 AM (Udupi Hotel) and lunch from Empire at Maddur (1.30 PM).

Last edited by denver85 : 18th December 2012 at 09:32. Reason: Spelling Correction
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 09:53   #4520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What on earth is this? Is this a inverted speed breaker?.
The road is recently relaid and they did not tar some portions as given in the below image:
All Roads to Kerala-road_excavation.jpg
I hope they are planing to install the Speed Breakers on these portions in future.
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 10:13   #4521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope you meant the route through Nagerhole Reserve. This is the best route as per I came back from Kozhikode last Sunday (16/12) through this route. I found this route to be very good. Only some bad patches in Nagerhole Reserve and between Kainatty and Kambalakkad (6 Kms). If you are planning to start early morning plan the Breakfast at Cafe Coorg in Hunsur(3-3.5 hours drive from Bangalore). For Lunch, you plan either in Mananthavady or Kalpetta. For a sedate drive, it will not take more than 3 hours to reach Kalpetta from Hunsur. I had my breakfast from Kalpetta at 9.30 AM (Udupi Hotel) and lunch from Empire at Maddur (1.30 PM).
Thanks for the update. Concern on this route was the lack of stopping points. Looks like Cafe Coorg is a good option for a snack and rest room break. I normally start by 4-4:30am from Bangalore and target to be home by lunch time. So ideally need only the one proper stop. If another stop is required I think one of the places in the Chundale-Vythiri-Lakkidi area would be good enough.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:15   #4522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[*]Bangalore-Hunsur-kutta-Tholpetty-Manathavady-Nalam mile-Tharuvana-Padinjharethara-Pozhuthana-Vythiri-Kozhikode (Found this in the recent suggestions by members. Main negative I see is the potential lack of stopping points (good restrooms mainly) after leaving the Mysore Highway[/list]Any thoughts/suggestions?
This is probably a very good option. Yes, not enough eateries along the route. But If you start by around 5 from Bangalore, you would be able to reach Hunsur by 8 and could have breakfast at Cafe Coorg.

Quote:
I felt the bad patches in Nagarhole are not that bad, and in fact is easily doable in a hatch. And the route he mentioned bypasses Kalpetta town as well as the Kambalakkad-Kainatty stretch. The road surface from Tharuvana to Vythiri is excellent, and traffic is also relatively thinner.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 11:03   #4523
BHPian

Hi All,
Planning to drive to kerala on the 22nd.

Due to a few major change in plans I have to reach TVM on the 22nd. hence driving From bangalore to TVM.
This was is my plan (so far) for the trip
Leave on 21st afternoon From Bangalore to Salem. Break @ Salem for the Night.
22nd Early morning 5 AM leave salem to Trivandrum. With slow driving and plenty of breaks planning to reach Trivandrum by 5:00 AM

Planning on taking one of the 2 routes below
1. Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Madurai-Nagercoil-TVM
2. Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Madurai-Poovar-TVM (To avoid the Traffic in Nagercoil-TVM)
Could anyone suggest the better of the two routes.

I am planning to return on the 30th. My journey would Start from Thekkady. Could anyone sugest the best Route to bangalore from Thekkady.

My priorities are as follows.
1. Good roads with moderate to less traffic.
2. Avoid night driving
Old 18th December 2012, 11:28   #4524
BHPian

Planning to drive down to Coimbatore tomorrow.
Plan to take the Sathy route this time
Will start around 11 Am from Bangalore.
Destination is Peelamedu, Google maps shows two options, one via Kalapatty and the other through Saravanampatty.
Can someone please suggest the best way to avoid the evening traffic?
Would also like to know about good eating joints and best fuel stations along this route.
Old 18th December 2012, 11:46   #4525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Planning to drive down to Coimbatore tomorrow.
Plan to take the Sathy route this time
Will start around 11 Am from Bangalore.
Destination is Peelamedu, Google maps shows two options, one via Kalapatty and the other through Saravanampatty.
Can someone please suggest the best way to avoid the evening traffic?
Would also like to know about good eating joints and best fuel stations along this route.
I've travelled on the Kalapatty road (turn off from NH209 at Kurumbapalayam), traffic isn't much and the road is very good. You might face some traffic after you hit Avinashi Road and go towards Peelamedu, but that distance is hardly 3-4 kms, so may not be a big issue. Have never tried the Saravanampatty route, so can't comment.

From which point in Bangalore do you intend to start at 11 AM ? For lunch your options would be :

Hotel Gokula in Kanakapura (Might be too early if your starting point is close to Kanakapura road - it's only about 40 to 45 mins away from the NICE road / Kanakapura road crossing point)

Hotel Nandini or Hotel Annapoorna in Kollegal (about 1 hr 15 mins drive from Kanakapura). Hotel Nandini is right on the highway, Annapoorna is a bit more difficult to find - you need to take the right turn just after Kollegal bus stand and go about 100 meters on that road.

Hotel Mayura Rajdhani or Hotel Nijaguna residency in Chamarajnagar. Another 45 minutes away from Kollegal. May be OK if you don't mind a late lunch. (The latter is the best hotel on this route in terms of facilities, a tad expensive though)
kala is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 11:52   #4526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
From which point in Bangalore do you intend to start at 11 AM ? For lunch your options would be :

Hotel Gokula in Kanakapura (Might be too early if your starting point is close to Kanakapura road - it's only about 40 to 45 mins away from the NICE road / Kanakapura road crossing point)

Hotel Nandini or Hotel Annapoorna in Kollegal (about 1 hr 15 mins drive from Kanakapura). Hotel Nandini is right on the highway, Annapoorna is a bit more difficult to find - you need to take the right turn just after Kollegal bus stand and go about 100 meters on that road.

Hotel Mayura Rajdhani or Hotel Nijaguna residency in Chamarajnagar. Another 45 minutes away from Kollegal. May be OK if you don't mind a late lunch. (The latter is the best hotel on this route in terms of facilities, a tad expensive though)
Starting from Kammanahalli, was planning via ORR->Hosur Road-> Nice Road-> Kanakpura.
Is there a better way? With not much of breaks and safe speeds, what time can we expect to reach Coimbatore?
Old 18th December 2012, 12:11   #4527
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Folks travelling on NH209, how is the mist factor on this stretch in the early mornings?

Will the visibility be good if I start from Bangalore around 6:00 am?
Old 18th December 2012, 12:18   #4528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Starting from Kammanahalli, was planning via ORR->Hosur Road-> Nice Road-> Kanakpura.
Is there a better way? With not much of breaks and safe speeds, what time can we expect to reach Coimbatore?
Not sure if it would be worth going an extra 15-20 kms via ORR/NICE road if you're starting after the morning peak hour. Even the Inner ring road-Silkboard-ORR route might take you only about an hour to get to the NICE road / Kanakapura road junction. (Maximum you would save by taking the ORR-Hosur Rd-NICE road may be 5 or 10 minutes).

Assuming that you'd be reaching Kanakapura road around noon, the best place to stop for lunch would probably be Kanakapura (Chamarajnagar will be too late). I also noticed a decent looking restaurant near the Jain International school about 10 kms before Kanakapura, but never tried it - may be you could give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Folks travelling on NH209, how is the mist factor on this stretch in the early mornings?

Will the visibility be good if I start from Bangalore around 6:00 am?
Never faced any issues due to fog or mist. Some of the lakes on the way would be covered with mist, but no visibility problems on the road itself.

I typically take about 5 hours from the NICE Rd/Kanakapura Rd junction to Karumathampatty (I bypass CBE most of the time). Coimbatore should take around the same time give or take half an hour.

Last edited by kala : 18th December 2012 at 12:21. Reason: Add response to m8002
Old 18th December 2012, 12:39   #4529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I typically take about 5 hours from the NICE Rd/Kanakapura Rd junction to Karumathampatty (I bypass CBE most of the time). Coimbatore should take around the same time give or take half an hour.
Travelling for the first time on this road and with kids, the major worry is Dhimbam. If there happens to be a block, what options do we have? Would you suggest going back to CR nagar and taking the Coonoor way or to Kollegal and Bhavani or stay put till it clears?
Old 18th December 2012, 13:15   #4530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Travelling for the first time on this road and with kids, the major worry is Dhimbam. If there happens to be a block, what options do we have? Would you suggest going back to CR nagar and taking the Coonoor way or to Kollegal and Bhavani or stay put till it clears?
I'd think staying put till it clears may perhaps be the best option. On all times when I've passed through those ghats, traffic has been very sparse, so I've never seen how bad a jam can be.

Those roads aren't that narrow, so I wouldn't expect a truck breakdown to block the road completely, there should certainly be place for one vehicle to pass. So during these jams traffic may not get blocked completely but may become one-way only and so will take time to clear. (But all this is speculation only since I have never seen a jam there :-) )

Most Viewed