Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 13:17   #4531
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Travelling for the first time on this road and with kids, the major worry is Dhimbam. If there happens to be a block, what options do we have? Would you suggest going back to CR nagar and taking the Coonoor way or to Kollegal and Bhavani or stay put till it clears?
Just to reiterate Kala's advise-stay put whenever there is a jam.Usually they clear out in about 1-2hrs time unless theres a real bad one like the recent one which took about 6 hours but thats a very very rare happening.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 13:27   #4532
BHPian

Thanks kala and ranjitp1, it was those 6 hour and 12 hour ones that I was worried about :-)
Old 18th December 2012, 14:51   #4533
BHPian

[quote=kala;2993427] On all times when I've passed through those ghats, traffic has been very sparse, so I've never seen how bad a jam can be.:-) /QUOTE]

Quote:
Thanks kala and ranjitp1, it was those 6 hour and 12 hour ones that I was worried about :-)
This is my favourite route to KL and this year itself I must have travelled about 6 towards and 4 return trips. Have read about the blockade on this forum and questioned the shopkeeper @ Dimbam. He did mention that it does happen but very rare.

Like Kala, I too have not witnessed any traffic jams.

Last edited by pariwar : 18th December 2012 at 14:52. Reason: Wrongly deleted the quote part
Old 18th December 2012, 15:13   #4534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
I am planning to return on the 30th. My journey would Start from Thekkady. Could anyone sugest the best Route to bangalore from Thekkady.
As you are starting from Thekkady, the best bet will be Cumbum, Theni, Dindigul, Karur, Salem route, back to Bangalore. You can refer the previous posts for diversions to avoid the road widening work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Folks travelling on NH209, how is the mist factor on this stretch in the early mornings?
Will the visibility be good if I start from Bangalore around 6:00 am?
I drive through that road regularly and my last trip was on 30th of November. Have never faced visibility issues on that road due to mist or fog. As kala mentioned, there are lakes, but usually the mist stays at a lower level close to the lake.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:16   #4535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[*]Bangalore-Hunsur-kutta-Tholpetty-Manathavady-Nalam mile-Tharuvana-Padinjharethara-Pozhuthana-Vythiri-Kozhikode (Found this in the recent suggestions by members. Main negative I see is the potential lack of stopping points (good restrooms mainly) after leaving the Mysore Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
The road surface from Tharuvana to Vythiri is excellent, and traffic is also relatively thinner.
Have you travelled on this route recently, @Sandsun7 ? My place in Wayanad is quite close to Pozhuthana and I've tried this route a few times in the last 2-3 years (my last trip that way was more than 6 months ago though). My experience then was that the road conditions between Mananthavady and Padinjarethara via Naalam Mile-Tharuvana was very patchy. The road surface is pretty good after that till Vythiri, but it's quite a slow stretch since it is very curvy and narrow.

Interested to know if they have done up this road recently because that is a much shorter option for me to go towards Kodagu side from my house near Pozhuthana.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:33   #4536
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to drive down to Coimbatore tomorrow.
Plan to take the Sathy route this time
...Destination is Peelamedu, Google maps shows two options, one via Kalapatty and the other through Saravanampatty...
If you are going through Saravanampatty, turn left from NH 209 just before the police check post, after crossing Saravanampatty. Road is good but there will be some truck traffic. The route is Saravanampatty->Vilankuruchi->Kalapatty (you will reach the road from Kurumbapalayam suggested by kala). There is a road to Peelamedu from Vilankurichi, do not go through that as there is a railway crossing and mostly you will get stuck up there. After reaching Kalapatty Jn and turning right will take you to SITRA/Airport Jn. on the Avinashi Road. Just before SITRA Jn., road will be branching out. Take the straight one and turn right from the signal.
Arun.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 15:39   #4537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Have you travelled on this route recently, @Sandsun7 ? My place in Wayanad is quite close to Pozhuthana and I've tried this route a few times in the last 2-3 years (my last trip that way was more than 6 months ago though). My experience then was that the road conditions between Mananthavady and Padinjarethara via Naalam Mile-Tharuvana was very patchy. The road surface is pretty good after that till Vythiri, but it's quite a slow stretch since it is very curvy and narrow.

Interested to know if they have done up this road recently because that is a much shorter option for me to go towards Kodagu side from my house near Pozhuthana.
I had driven from Kenichira to Pookode through this route (panamaram-Anjukunnu-nalam mile-Peechangod-padinjharethara-pozhuthana-vythiri) on November 13th. As you said, it was little rough- no way bad, though - from Naalam mile till Padinjharethara. On either sides, it was excellent, especially the road from Padinjharethara upto Vythiri. Yes, lots and lots of curves, some of them blind due to thick growth of shrubs on the sides, but I felt traffic was very light compared to the NH. I could maintain 60-70 almost throughout. A more experienced driver could move even faster.
Going to Coorg would also not be an issue. Nalam mile-Mananthavady-Tholpetty is in good condition. I did observe that Panamaram to Mananthavady via Anjukunnu -Nalam mile is in much better condition than via Koyileri.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 16:53   #4538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Heading down to Cochin for Christmas vacation on the 22nd. Looks like there will be a lot of team bhp cars for company on the highway.

I plan to follow the route ranjitp1 has suggested. What do you say ranjitp1?

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangayam - Palladam - Pollachi - Kollengode - Pazhayannur - Wadakanchery - Thrissur - EKM.
Sorry I missed this post.Yes thats a very good route.Go ahead and you shouldnt have any problems.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 20:58   #4539
BHPian

Hello All,

I am going to KALADY, KERALA from Chennai on 27th of this month. I will be returning back from Kalady the next day evening .

What is the best route I can take from Chennai to reach Kalady. I heard horror stories about very bad roads between Coimbatore and Palakkad and also between Palakkad and Thrissur.

Pls let me know what is the best route I can take for a hassle free drive in my XUV..

Sathya
Old 18th December 2012, 21:13   #4540

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Sorry I missed this post.Yes thats a very good route.Go ahead and you shouldnt have any problems.
What will be the distance and how is the road? I am planning to travel to Kochi on 21st. Which will be the best route to travel?
Old 18th December 2012, 22:20   #4541
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Pls let me know what is the best route I can take for a hassle free drive in my XUV..
Sathya

Within Kerala there is I think only one best option:

Pollachi-Kollegode-Alathur-Wadakkacherry-Trichur Bypass-Angamaly-Kaladi.

Pollachi to Kalady

Now the question is how do you want to reach Pollachi from Chennai

- Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi
- Ulundurpet-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi
- Ulundurpet - Trichy - Dindigul - Palani-Udumalpet-Pollachi

You can choose according to your convenience. I would like to chose to the last one but I think
there many towns to cross after Dindigul.
Old 18th December 2012, 22:34   #4542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Hello All,

I am going to KALADY, KERALA from Chennai on 27th of this month. I will be returning back from Kalady the next day evening .

What is the best route I can take from Chennai to reach Kalady. I heard horror stories about very bad roads between Coimbatore and Palakkad and also between Palakkad and Thrissur.

Sathya
Since you are coming from Chennai,IMO you are better off taking the NH7 route till Dindigul and then coming in via Theni-Bodi-Munnar-Adimali-Perumbavoor-Kalady.Better roads than coming in via the Pollachi sides,or maybe you can take one route for coming in and go back via the other.
Old 19th December 2012, 07:13   #4543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Nice and Thank you. I can use some guidance for pit stops for breakfast and lunch on this route as it is unfamiliar to me. Going by my planned 4am departure time from Bangalore, Salem sounds like it for breakfast.

As you have past experience driving down this road, can you tell me what speeds are possible after Perundurai.

The only thing left to worry about is dealing with long queues at toll booths.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 19th December 2012 at 07:16.
Old 19th December 2012, 07:20   #4544
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can use some guidance for pit stops for breakfast and lunch on this route as it is unfamiliar to me. Going by my planned 4am departure time from Bangalore, Salem sounds like it for breakfast.
With a 4am start, Salem may be too early for breakfast since the A2B's and others open post 6.30am. If they're open, good for you otherwise you can also plan to stop at Annalakhsmi which is at the Perundurai turn off where you have to turn to go towards Perundurai town and then on to Palladam.
Please search this thread and I'm sure you will find details of the place.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 09:13   #4545
BHPian

Quote:
I can use some guidance for pit stops for breakfast and lunch on this route as it is unfamiliar to me.
You can try the Hotel Saravanabhavan which is at the Sankari bypass. It is exactly 32 kms from Salem on the left side of the road just before the Vaikundam Toll Booth. This place has all the facilities, food is awesome (Specially Dosa items ) and they will open by 6.30 AM. You can referthis google Map link: http://maps.google.co.in/maps?q=Sara...+Nadu&t=m&z=16

The roads are like typical 2-line Tamilnadu State Highways after Perundurai. The traffic will be less and the surface is smooth. You will be able to do 80 kmph easily. Palladam to Pollachi route is a scenic one with lot of wind mills around. Expect moderate traffic in the small towns like Kangeyam. Palladam, Pollachi and Kollengode.

Regards,
Deepak

Last edited by denver85 : 19th December 2012 at 09:16. Reason: Added the Google map link.
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks