Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2012, 08:26   #4561
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
For Pandalam, I would recommend, Bangalore - Salem - Madurai( bypass) - Rajapalayam - Thenmala - Punalur - Pathanapuram - Pandalam route. This would be shorter and faster.
Pramod, Thanks for the suggestion. I have to drop my FIL at chengannur also. So CBE or Kumily are only suitable for me. Also what I hear is Aryankavu section is patchy (2 months back) and will be crowded in sabarimala season.
Old 20th December 2012, 09:53   #4562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
Pramod, Thanks for the suggestion. I have to drop my FIL at chengannur also. So CBE or Kumily are only suitable for me. Also what I hear is Aryankavu section is patchy (2 months back) and will be crowded in sabarimala season.
I would suggest the Kumily route in that case. The CBE route will be stressful once you exit the 4 lane road as you will have to drive through congested roads for more than 350 KMs. Also passing through Palakkad, Thrissur, Angamaly, Kottayam, Thiruvalla etc will be a pain. You will take atleast 14 hours.
Old 20th December 2012, 14:36   #4563
BHPian

Can anyone recently travelled the Avinashi-Coimbatore-Palakkad route update the latest condition of this road ? I am planning to take this route from Chennai tomorrow

Thanks in advance
Old 20th December 2012, 14:56   #4564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Can anyone recently travelled the Avinashi-Coimbatore-Palakkad route update the latest condition of this road ? I am planning to take this route from Chennai tomorrow

Thanks in advance
I did this route 2 weeks back. Avinashi - Cbe bypass section - 4 lane work is going on. One side work completed and traffic is through the completed side with frequent diversions. Watch out for sudden dips on top of bridges ( if you see 30kmph speed limit then most probably there will be a dip)
Cbe bypass is in good shape
Bypass to plkd has some rough stretches.
Old 20th December 2012, 17:17   #4565
Senior - BHPian

Nilambur route condition query

I will be driving to Vaikom on Dec 22nd. I plan to take the Nilambur route.

I have 2 options.

1. Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi- Perumpilavu - Kunnamkulam - Chavakkad - Kodungallor - N. paravur - Vaikom

or

2 . Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Kulappully - Shornur - Wadakkancherry - Thrissur -Angamally - Aluva -Vaikom

I am familiar with both routes and would have taken route 2 but I am worried about the Christmas rush in Thrissur.

Which one should I choose? I plan to start around 5:00 AM (between 4:30 AM and 5:00 AM) and would reach Thrissur by 1:30 PM

Also, how is the condition of Nadugani ghats?

Last edited by pramodpk : 20th December 2012 at 17:18.
Old 20th December 2012, 17:23   #4566
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nilambur route condition query

Quote:

I have 2 options.

1. Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi- Perumpilavu - Kunnamkulam - Chavakkad - Kodungallor - N. paravur - Vaikom

or

2 . Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Kulappully - Shornur - Wadakkancherry - Thrissur -Angamally - Aluva -Vaikom

I am familiar with both routes and would have taken route 2 but I am worried about the Christmas rush in Thrissur.

Which one should I choose? I plan to start around 5:00 AM (between 4:30 AM and 5:00 AM) and would reach Thrissur by 1:30 PM

Option 2 looks better especially the road between Thrissur and Aluva. To avoid possible rush in Thrissur, you can avoid getting into the town by turning left at Patturackal towards Palakkad and joining the bye-pass near Mannuthy. Another option is to get into the town but turn off to bye-pass through Mannamangalam road near Jubilee hospital. This will help avoid possible congestion in High road until Ollur.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 18:29   #4567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious, why not via Salem/cbe?
Old 20th December 2012, 18:30   #4568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have 2 options.

or

Pramod,this is the best and easiest way to bypass Thrissur town.Connects you straight to the toll gate on NH47 from Shoranur road.Going back to Mannuthy and then going towards the toll both would be a round about way.This route is good.

We are driving Hyd-Blr on 24th and Blr-Thrissur on 25th,else could have done this together.I think we would go via Alathur,gives us a chance to pick up the SNR chips

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...via=4&t=m&z=16

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 20th December 2012 at 18:32.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 20:55   #4569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
From EKM to Trivandrum, would suggest to take the allapey-Changanassery (AC) road to connect to MC road, and then continue the TVM journey via the MC road.

The AC road is re-tarred recently resulting in wider tarmac in excellent condition, except for very few stretches which are yet to be re-tarred.
In MC road, there is less traffic and wider roads for easy overtaking, plus excellent road surface.
Hi Sarathlal,

Planning cover this route in reverse direction. Can you please let me know, what is this AC and MC road refers to? Please do provide the route information as passing through towns.

regards,
-manju
Old 20th December 2012, 21:27   #4570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did this route on 8th of this month. There are few big potholes at ghat section but manageable.
Also, the road near Thepekkadu is patchy for a small distance otherwise its good surface.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 21:56   #4571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Hi Sarathlal,

Planning cover this route in reverse direction. Can you please let me know, what is this AC and MC road refers to? Please do provide the route information as passing through towns.

regards,
-manju

Hi Manju,

AC road is Allappey-Changanassery road. This road connects the MC road (from Changanassery) and the NH (from Alappey).
MC is the main central road. This is used to refer the road from Trivandrum to Kottayam.

By reverse direction, looks like you are planning to travel from Tvm - Ekm.
Start from Tvm, take the MC road and continue till Changanassery.
Route: Trivandrum - Mannanthala - Nilamel - Kottarakara - Adoor - Chengannur - Changanassery.
From Changanassery, take left towards Alappey. (This would be the AC road we are referring to).
You will reach the NH at the end of this road. Now take a right from here and continue in the NH, to reach Ernakulam.

Mostly you case see this route being suggested as an alternate to the straightforward NH, because the MC road is excellent condition and sparse traffic.

Last edited by sarathlal : 20th December 2012 at 21:57.
Old 20th December 2012, 22:36   #4572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijujj View Post
I saw lot of useful suggestions in the thread, thanks for the same. Have one more query.

Since I am driving down from Chennai, which of the following will be better
a.) Chennai ->Trichy->Dindigul->(deviation via Vaigai, Kanavilakku)->Theni
b.) Chennai -> Trichy -Madurai->Theni

I know the distance is less for option a.), but considering the road-widening, would be b.) be a better option?
Just one more question before actually hitting the road. Can some one please help me out with the best way to enter Madurai - Theni road. I am driving from Trichy and want to bypass the Madurai city.

Thanks in advance.
Biju
Old 20th December 2012, 22:53   #4573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijujj View Post
Just one more question before actually hitting the road. Can some one please help me out with the best way to enter Madurai - Theni road.
I am driving from Trichy and want to bypass the Madurai city.

Thanks in advance.
Biju
The only option is to go via Madurai Airport and Thirumangalam.

Route Link

Sad part is, there no bypass in the north east quadrant of the city.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 10:32   #4574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I suggest you make your decision to take the diversion of Alathur - Pazhayanur - Chelakkara - Wadakkanchery - Mannuthy depending on what time you arrive at Alathur. If you are reaching Alathur .....
Thanks Arjith.. I will take your advice. Also, when Sandeep does any of this route this 22nd, he can also update.. Will wait and watch.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:13   #4575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post

Thanks Arjith.. I will take your advice. Also, when Sandeep does any of this route this 22nd, he can also update.. Will wait and watch.
My father said there were reports in news paper that the potholes are being repaired. Anyways you too update the status after your trip. I will be driving back to Bglr or 1st Jan( onward journey via calicut on 27th)

Last edited by arjithin : 21st December 2012 at 11:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks