Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 11:32   #4576
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

The long and short of the issue of NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur is this:

Till the 4 laning is complete between these two towns,this road is going to be a mess as state PWD wouldnt touch it since its under NHAI now and NHAI would go about it in their own leisurely pace not bothered about the existing road.So till this whole business of 4 laning is done (hopefully in 2years looking at the present pace)every now and then when there is a brouhaha about the potholes,there would be some intermediate pothole filling which would open up in a month or two!Till this widening is complete,it is pointless imho to waste time,energy & precious fuel trying to negotiate this road.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:47   #4577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The long and short of the issue of NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur is this:

Till the 4 laning is complete between these two towns,this road is going to be a mess as state PWD wouldnt touch it since its under NHAI now and NHAI would go about it in their own leisurely pace not bothered about the existing road.So till this whole business of 4 laning is done (hopefully in 2years looking at the present pace)every now and then when there is a brouhaha about the potholes,there would be some intermediate pothole filling which would open up in a month or two!Till this widening is complete,it is pointless imho to waste time,energy & precious fuel trying to negotiate this road.
Just a thought:

Since most folks are already using Pollachi-Kollengode option, how much does it take to Alathur/Pazhanur/Wadakacherry/Trichur/Ernakulam,
versus if one just decides to take the Valparai Chalakudy option. Its just 60km to the other side. During day time there is hardly any traffic
on the ghats. Off-course roads are narrow. But with careful, vigil, they can be dealt with.

How worthy it is as an alternative, if one is looking at destinations south of Chalakudy?
Old 21st December 2012, 11:58   #4578
BHPian

Which is the exact route to go via Valparai from Bangalore to Kochi? Google maps is not showing the right track. Any idea how much the total distance is?

I can skip Chalakudy also and reach angamaly directly from Athirapally through the plantations.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:26   #4579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just a thought:

Since most folks are already using Pollachi-Kollengode option, how much does it take to Alathur/Pazhanur/Wadakacherry/Trichur/Ernakulam,
versus if one just decides to take the Valparai Chalakudy option. Its just 60km to the other side. During day time there is hardly any traffic
on the ghats. Off-course roads are narrow. But with careful, vigil, they can be dealt with.

How worthy it is as an alternative, if one is looking at destinations south of Chalakudy?
Its a good option,just that the ghats would take some time to negotiate,otherwise its a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Which is the exact route to go via Valparai from Bangalore to Kochi? Google maps is not showing the right track. Any idea how much the total distance is?

I can skip Chalakudy also and reach angamaly directly from Athirapally through the plantations.
From Bangalore come on NH47 till Perundurai,then divert off it and go via Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Malakkapara-Vazhachal-Athirappilly-Chalakudy-NH47

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 21st December 2012 at 12:39.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:30   #4580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

As Ranjit mentioned, once you reach Pollachi ask any for the route to Aliyar dam or Valparai. This goes thought about 30 hairpin bends and narrow roads (though low on traffic) and you end up at the other end.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:00   #4581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

To add to what Ranjit and Ampere said - the distance from Pollachi to Angamaly is about 160 kms, but it would take you about 6 hours to cover.

Google Maps has a couple of discontinuities in SH21 between Chalakudy and Malakkappara, that's the reason it does not show this direct route if you ask it to show the route between Chalakudy and Valparai. Ignore GM, the route itself doesn't have those discontinuities.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:27   #4582
Senior - BHPian

I thought I had finalized my route but now there are more problems. One is to deal with a long line of vehicles at the toll gates tomorrow morning as I leave for Cochin. The other problem is the many "Take Diversion" sign boards all the way to Thoppur. I don't want to pay to use a road and then have to deal with all this. So I have re plotted the route and it now looks like this.....

Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malvalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagara - Satyamangalam - Pulliampti - Avinashi - Pollachi - Palladam and so on.

I know the route to Satyamangalam is good. How about Satyamangalam - Pulliampti - Sevur - Avinashi - Palladam?

Please suggest some quality pit stop points for breakfast. I pull out of Bangalore tomorrow at 3AM.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 21st December 2012 at 13:37. Reason: Forgot to ask for restaurant stops on the way
Old 21st December 2012, 13:47   #4583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

I know the route to Satyamangalam is good. How about Satyamangalam - Pulliampti - Sevur - Avinashi?

Dimbam ghat has traffic jams occasionally otherwise this route is good.
The route you have asked is in good condition.Only problem dual carriageway
and sudden dips in the roads and lot of curves.60-80kms speed can be maintained.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 13:51   #4584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One is to deal with a long line of vehicles at the toll gates tomorrow morning as I leave for Cochin.
The diversions between Hosur and Krishnagiri is not that bad. You wont lose more than 15 minutes than when it was without the diversions. Since you start by 3 AM, i guess you can cross Attibelle, Krishnagiri and Thoppur toll gates before dawn.

You can then take deviation via Annur-Airport road(kurumbapalayam)-L&T byepass or through Perundurai, Pollachi, Alathur.

NH209 is for a leisurely drive when you have no time constraints; nice, smooth, curvy roads that suit best for a day drive. At some stretches it gets lonely and there will be butterflies in the stomach when you don't see traffic in the opposite direction for some time(CH nagara to Dhimbam section).
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 13:55   #4585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malvalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagara - Satyamangalam - Pulliampti - Avinashi - Pollachi - Palladam and so on.

I know the route to Satyamangalam is good. How about Satyamangalam - Pulliampti - Sevur - Avinashi - Palladam?
No Avinashi.

Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malvalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagara - Satyamangalam - Annur - Karumathampatti - Palladam - Pollachi.

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 13:58   #4586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just a thought:

if one just decides to take the Valparai Chalakudy option. Its just 60km to the other side. During day time there is hardly any traffic

Not at all worthy. Be advised. DO NOT use that route. The drive would not be so pleasant with the number of hairpin bends. The progress would be slow as there would still be traffic (slow moving trucks) to negotiate. But most important of all, the road is not at all good after you cross Top Slip. The road from Top Slip till Athirappally is very bad and would not be an under statement if i say that it is non existent. If you are looking for a jungle 4 X 4 drive, then go ahead. There's scenery aplenty and at one stretch you even get to drive through thick fog at the middle of the day.

I would personally still avoid it

Quote:

I travelled from Sathyamangalam to Kochi in late October. The road till you hit the four lane highway is excellent. The road is a two way highway with excellent surface and scarcely any traffic at all. Instead of taking a left from Sevur, I would suggest that you travel till Annur and then take a left to Karumathampatty. The diversion at Annur is a un assuming small road as it peels off from the junction. Please ask someone at the junction if you are not sure.
Further from Karumathampatty, you can go to Palladam as desired.
Old 21st December 2012, 14:23   #4587
Distinguished - BHPian

Since many guys are driving to Kerala from Blore this Xmas, I would like you guys to update the usual route from Blore - Coim - Palghat - Thrissur - Cochin. I plan to drive to Blore on 25th and I plan to take this route.

Keep the thread updated.
Old 21st December 2012, 14:33   #4588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Since many guys are driving to Kerala from Blore this Xmas, I would like you guys to update the usual route from Blore - Coim - Palghat - Thrissur - Cochin. I plan to drive to Blore on 25th and I plan to take this route.

Keep the thread updated.
Naveen, I am driving tomorrow night, mostly on above route. Will update shortly.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 14:58   #4589
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Not at all worthy. Be advised. DO NOT use that route. The drive would not be so pleasant with the number of hairpin bends. The progress would be slow as there would still be traffic (slow moving trucks) to negotiate. But most important of all, the road is not at all good after you cross Top Slip. The road from Top Slip till Athirappally is very bad and would not be an under statement if i say that it is non existent. If you are looking for a jungle 4 X 4 drive, then go ahead. There's scenery aplenty and at one stretch you even get to drive through thick fog at the middle of the day.
I was not refering to top slip. I think that is on the Parambikulam side from Pollachi. (Please correct if its other wise). Thats surely is not a good road.

I was referring to Pollachi-Aliyar-Valparai-Athirapalli road. Is that what you were alluding to ?
Old 21st December 2012, 15:00   #4590
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nilambur route condition query

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Pramod,this is the best and easiest way to bypass Thrissur town.Connects you straight to the toll gate on NH47 from Shoranur road.Going back to Mannuthy and then going towards the toll both would be a round about way.This route is good.

We are driving Hyd-Blr on 24th and Blr-Thrissur on 25th,else could have done this together
Thanks Ranjit. What are the important land marks that I should look for in this route? I looked for sign boards to Kochi in August and ended up in Mannuthy.

Most Viewed