Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 15:20   #4591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nilambur route condition query

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Thanks Ranjit. What are the important land marks that I should look for in this route? I looked for sign boards to Kochi in August and ended up in Mannuthy.
Coming from Shoranur,you would cross the Viyyur Prison,followed by Power House,then a temple to your left and a church to your right,then Viyyur Bridge,and around 500-700mts from the bridge you would see a fork road with Hotel Kovilakam to the left.Take the left fork.The road ends in a circle with NexT Showroom to your right.Take a left at the circle and follow the road.The road curves to the right, up an incline followed by a left turn followed by a right turn(at this point there is a road going to the left as well-ignore).Following the natural right turn at this point,300mts,you would encounter another small circle (diagonally to your right you would see the Town Hall and to your immediate right you would see KSFE and Bal Bhavan).Take a left at the circle and keep straight,you would cross the Zoo to your right,keep on the road,the road takes a natural right,following which you would cross the Bishop Palace on your left,and St Clare's convent to your right,keep going straight and you would come to a traffic circle(East Fort junction) with a lot of vegetable shops and meat shops to your left.At the traffic circle-go straight(left would take you to Mannuthy,right would take you to Thrissur Swaraj Round).Go straight,you would now run along the Jubilee Mission Medical College' compound wall to your left.Follow the road and the road curves to the left(just keep following Jubilee's compound wall).Keep on the road and head straight around 2-3 kms ahead,you would again come to a slight fork road,take the right fork and the road ends up on NH47 under a flyover.Go under the flyover and take a right and you are right at the toll gate.

From Kovilakam to NH47 shouldnt take you more than 20mins.
ranjitp1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 16:15   #4592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Coming from Shoranur,you would cross the Viyyur Prison,followed by Power House,then a temple to your left and a church to your right,then Viyyur Bridge,and around 500-700mts from the bridge you would see a fork road with Hotel Kovilakam to the left.Take the left fork.The road ends in a circle with NexT Showroom to your right.Take a left at the circle and follow the road.The road curves to the right, up an incline followed by a left turn followed by a right turn(at this point there is a road going to the left as well-ignore).Following the natural right turn at this point,300mts,you would encounter another small circle (diagonally to your right you would see the Town Hall and to your immediate right you would see KSFE and Bal Bhavan).Take a left at the circle and keep straight,you would cross the Zoo to your right,keep on the road,the road takes a natural right,following which you would cross the Bishop Palace on your left,and St Clare's convent to your right,keep going straight and you would come to a traffic circle(East Fort junction) with a lot of vegetable shops and meat shops to your left.At the traffic circle-go straight(left would take you to Mannuthy,right would take you to Thrissur Swaraj Round).Go straight,you would now run along the Jubilee Mission Medical College' compound wall to your left.Follow the road and the road curves to the left(just keep following Jubilee's compound wall).Keep on the road and head straight around 2-3 kms ahead,you would again come to a slight fork road,take the right fork and the road ends up on NH47 under a flyover.Go under the flyover and take a right and you are right at the toll gate.

My god. Do you have google maps installed in your head???
Old 21st December 2012, 17:15   #4593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post

Where is the like button?
arjithin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 18:23   #4594
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Not at all worthy. Be advised. DO NOT use that route. The drive would not be so pleasant with the number of hairpin bends. The progress would be slow as there would still be traffic (slow moving trucks) to negotiate. But most important of all, the road is not at all good after you cross Top Slip. The road from Top Slip till Athirappally is very bad and would not be an under statement if i say that it is non existent. If you are looking for a jungle 4 X 4 drive, then go ahead. There's scenery aplenty and at one stretch you even get to drive through thick fog at the middle of the day.

I would personally still avoid it
Dhanush, The road from Valparai to Athirappilly is not that bad as you said. I drove this route in October and the only bad/rough stretch is 14kms starting from Malakkappara CP. After that it is good roads all the way till Chalakudy. And I drove a hatch and it is easily doable with any Car provided it is driven carefully. There are potholes but they are not deep.

I'm driving this route tomorrow, will be starting from Bangalore tonight.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 20:00   #4595
Distinguished - BHPian

Which would be a good place to stop for a break after Muthanga Checkpost and before exiting Sultan Bathery? Requirements are good restrooms and comfortable parking (Not too concerned about food since at max we'll have a cup of tea).

I normally stop at CCD at Gundlepet, but was thinking to push forward to try to cross the checkpost as early as possible and then stop.

Did anyone take the Bathery-Kalpetta route in the last couple of days, any progress in the road repair (read in some earlier posts that there were signs of work starting)?
Have dropped the idea of taking the Hunsur-Nagarhole-Mananthavady Calicut as well as the Nilambur-Areekode-Calicut route. So it is either the regular Bathery-Calicut Route or the Bathery-Vaduvanchal-Chundale route.
Old 21st December 2012, 20:19   #4596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Which would be a good place to stop for a break after Muthanga Checkpost and before exiting Sultan Bathery? Requirements are good restrooms and comfortable parking (Not too concerned about food since at max we'll have a cup of tea).

I normally stop at CCD at Gundlepet, but was thinking to push forward to try to cross the checkpost as early as possible and then stop.
There are few good hotels in Bathery town. I stopped couple of times at a hotel just before the pvt bus stand and on the right hand side of road (towards CLT). Sorry don't remember the name.

When are you traveling? Update the road conditions once you reach. I am starting on 27th morning.
Old 21st December 2012, 20:51   #4597
BHPian

Quote:
Travelled this route yesterday, but think lost my way inside Thrissur, but finally ended up right before the toll gate.
It would be great if you can post a google map link of this route.
Old 21st December 2012, 20:59   #4598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Travelled this route yesterday, but think lost my way inside Thrissur, but finally ended up right before the toll gate.
Hope this helps

Other easier option is ask for Jubily hospital from Viyyur side and after crossing zoo, ask for Kuttanellur.

Last edited by arjithin : 21st December 2012 at 21:02. Reason: corrected link
arjithin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 21:02   #4599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
There are few good hotels in Bathery town. I stopped couple of times at a hotel just before the pvt bus stand and on the right hand side of road (towards CLT). Sorry don't remember the name.
Was it Mintflower ? I also recall another one called Prince (I think) on the RHS of the road before you get to the Pvt bus stand junction.

There are a couple of places after you cross that junction also. Jubilee which is on the left hand side about 500 meters after the junction has adequate parking and a decent restroom. There's another hotel named "The Resort" slightly off the highway, and the turnoff to that is about 200 meters from that junction.
Old 21st December 2012, 21:09   #4600
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Hope this helps
I hope this is the route mentioned by ranjithp1 : http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...a=1,2&t=m&z=12
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 21:58   #4601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

Was it Mintflower ? I also recall another one called Prince (I think) on the RHS of the road before you get to the Pvt bus stand junction.

There are a couple of places after you cross that junction also. Jubilee which is on the left hand side about 500 meters after the junction has adequate parking and a decent restroom. There's another hotel named "The Resort" slightly off the highway, and the turnoff to that is about 200 meters from that junction.
The one on the right side as you enter bathery from blr side is mint flower. Had stopped there for breakfast once when coming from clt. Nice simple bfast buffet for 70 Rs. But was pretty crowded and had only one restroom. Maybe will try one of the others mentioned above if I don't stop at ccd.
Old 21st December 2012, 22:37   #4602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Dhanush, The road from Valparai to Athirappilly is not that bad as you said. I drove this route in October and the only bad/rough stretch is 14kms starting from Malakkappara CP. After that it is good roads all the way till Chalakudy. And I drove a hatch and it is easily doable with any Car provided it is driven carefully. There are potholes but they are not deep.

I'm driving this route tomorrow, will be starting from Bangalore tonight.

What is the road condition of this road now?

I want to go to Palani via this road. Once I went about 10 km further from athirappally in this route just out of curiosity. But have to return immediately as we have to come back before 5.30pm, as night riding is not allowed.

I know there are lots of hairpin bends in this road. Can innova be able to handle this sector?
Old 21st December 2012, 22:45   #4603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
I hope this is the route mentioned by ranjithp1 : http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...a=1,2&t=m&z=12
Yes,this indeed is the route.Thanks for posting this.

Quote:
The one posted by Denver85 is the one I was referring to.

Quote:
Well more or less you hit the nail on the head!With all the driving around and making route plans for people,I kind of have begun to see google maps in my dreams as well
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 23:05   #4604
BHPian

Quote:
Yes,this indeed is the route.Thanks for posting this.

The one posted by Denver85 is the one I was referring to.

Well more or less you hit the nail on the head!With all the driving around and making route plans for people,I kind of have begun to see google maps in my dreams as well
Thanks, will this route work in the reverse direction as well, or are there any one ways involved?
Old 21st December 2012, 23:09   #4605
Team-BHP Support

Can anyone tell me the best route to take from Chennai to Guruvayoor? Will be travelling tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks