Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:13   #4786
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recallers View Post
Thanks Coolclouds for those images. Regarding Satyamangalam route, how much time usually does it take from NICE road exit to Karumathampatti?
If you're a reasonably fast driver you should be able to do it comfortably in under 5 hours without exceeding 120kmph at any time.
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:32   #4787
BHPian

Hello,
I may be driving to Bangalore-TVPM shortly. The route I decided is as follows, with one stretch not decided:
BLR-Salem-Madurai-xxx-xxx-xxx-Tenkasi-Thenmala-Kulathupuzha-Palode-Nedumangad-Sreekaryam.

Thenmala onwards is what I am looking forward to. So I'm not changing it, even if its a little slow. Maduarai- Tenkasi, I thought of the abvious straight route, but after reading a post above, I think I should re-consider. Narrow & busy TN village roads are scary. which is the best way b/w Maduarai-Tenkasi? No need of eateries/fuel. How about turning off NH-7 after Kovilpatti?
Old 23rd January 2013, 18:53   #4788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Hello,
I may be driving to Bangalore-TVPM shortly. The route I decided is as follows, with one stretch not decided:
BLR-Salem-Madurai-xxx-xxx-xxx-Tenkasi-Thenmala-Kulathupuzha-Palode-Nedumangad-Sreekaryam.

Thenmala onwards is what I am looking forward to. So I'm not changing it, even if its a little slow. Maduarai- Tenkasi, I thought of the abvious straight route, but after reading a post above, I think I should re-consider. Narrow & busy TN village roads are scary. which is the best way b/w Maduarai-Tenkasi? No need of eateries/fuel. How about turning off NH-7 after Kovilpatti?
As per Google Maps, the easiest diversion for avoiding Rajapalayam and SriVilliputhur (which are the probably the slowest towns to traverse) seems to be SH40 starting a little bit after Kovilpatti and connecting to around Puliyangudi on NH208 via Sankarancoil. (About 40 kms on the SH). But no idea about the road condition or how crowded that road is. Also since that route would be about 25 to 30 kms longer, not sure if you would save any time.

If you ask my opinion, I'd probably prefer to stick to NH208 itself if I had to take the route via Thenmala-Kulathupuzha for some reason. Nothing really wrong with the roads except that passing the towns / villages would be slow. In terms of total time taken, I think Kavalkkinar-Nagercoil-Trivandrum would probably be faster though.
Old 23rd January 2013, 22:48   #4789
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to take a Bangalore - Ranni trip by end of January. The route I intend to take is:

B'lore -> Hosur ->Krishnagiri -> Salem -> Dindigul -> Theni -> Kumily -> Mundakayam ->Erumeli ->Ranni

I read somewhere in the forum that the road conditions near Batlagundu is not good due to road work. Has anybody done this stretch recently? Has the road conditions improved?

Thanks,
Sunil
Old 28th January 2013, 07:16   #4790
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to take a Bangalore - Ranni trip by end of January. The route I intend to take is:

B'lore -> Hosur ->Krishnagiri -> Salem -> Dindigul -> Theni -> Kumily -> Mundakayam ->Erumeli ->Ranni

I read somewhere in the forum that the road conditions near Batlagundu is not good due to road work. Has anybody done this stretch recently? Has the road conditions improved?
Quite a late response so not sure if this is of help. The Batlagundu stretch is being widended so instead of taking the regular turn off from NH7 towards Batlagundu, continue on NH7 and take the exit to Kodai Road (this has been discussed in the threads as well).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 10:19   #4791
BHPian

I wanted to do a road trip from Bangalore - Mysore - Waynad - Cochin.

I heard the road from Waynad to Cochin is in bad condition?

Do you have any suggestions on the above route?

Thanks,
Bharat
Old 1st February 2013, 10:29   #4792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
I wanted to do a road trip from Bangalore - Mysore - Waynad - Cochin.

I heard the road from Waynad to Cochin is in bad condition?

Do you have any suggestions on the above route?

Thanks,
Bharat
None of the roads from Wynad to Kochi are in a a bad condition.

Wynad-Calicut-KOchi is fine
Wynad-Nilambur-Pattambi-TRsissur-Kochi is fine
Wynad-NIlambur-Palakkad-Trissur-Kochi is also fine but for the 10 kms of perpetual bad roads in the Kuthiran Ghat
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 10:31   #4793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
None of the roads from Wynad to Kochi are in a a bad condition.

Wynad-Calicut-KOchi is fine
Wynad-Nilambur-Pattambi-TRsissur-Kochi is fine
Wynad-NIlambur-Palakkad-Trissur-Kochi is also fine but for the 10 kms of perpetual bad roads in the Kuthiran Ghat
What is the best (short and scenic) route that you would recommend from Mysore - Waynad - Cochin?

Thanks,
Bharat
Old 1st February 2013, 10:36   #4794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the best (short and scenic) route that you would recommend from Mysore - Waynad - Cochin?

Thanks,
Bharat
A quieter route would perhaps be Kalpetta-Meppadi-Cherambai-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Trissur, but you will face heavy traffic from Pattambi onwards. However, you will have to enter Trissur city.

Perhaps the fastest would be via Calicut, but that route also means heavy traffic, since you will go on NH17. No need to enter Calicut or any other large city. This route will take you down the Thamaraserry Ghat.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 10:54   #4795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
A quieter route would perhaps be Kalpetta-Meppadi-Cherambai-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Trissur, but you will face heavy traffic from Pattambi onwards. However, you will have to enter Trissur city.

Perhaps the fastest would be via Calicut, but that route also means heavy traffic, since you will go on NH17. No need to enter Calicut or any other large city. This route will take you down the Thamaraserry Ghat.
The Nadugani ghats route will certainly be longer by at least 20-25 kms compared to routes via the Thamarassery ghats.

And whichever route you take, be prepared for pretty thick traffic - almost all main roads in Kerala will have that problem if driving between 8AM to say around 9 PM. (On the route via Nilambur, you'll find traffic becoming heavier right from Vazhikkadavu itself)

NH17 may be the shortest, but you'll have to bear up with narrow roads towards the end of the journey (Chavakkad-Kodungallur-Paravoor-Edappally section). Roads are wider if you go via Kunnamkulam - Trichur - Angamaly, but I found the NH47 section between Trichur and Ernakulam to be a pain to drive in spite of the excellent road surface - Too much of traffic, too many signals that really slow you down (and interceptors at stretches where you can afford to go slightly faster )
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 12:18   #4796
BHPian

Hi BHPians

I'm planning a road trip to Thalassery this weekend and would welcome your valuable inputs on which route to take and current road conditions.

The 2 options i've managed to shortlist are -

Option 1 - Bangalore (NICE Road) > Mysore > Hunsur > Thalassery (319 kms)
Option 2 - Bangalore (NICE Road) > Mysore > Manathavady > Thalassery (329 kms)

I plan to start around 4 AM from Bannerghatta Road and hope to reach as early as possible!

I would prefer a faster route than a scenic route as that will give me more time to spend at Thalassery. Speed is not a constraint as I'm driving a Figo TdCi.

Would also be helpful if someone could suggest possible pit stops.
Old 4th February 2013, 12:37   #4797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
Hi BHPians

I'm planning a road trip to Thalassery this weekend and would welcome your valuable inputs on which route to take and current road conditions.

The 2 options i've managed to shortlist are -

Option 1 - Bangalore (NICE Road) > Mysore > Hunsur > Thalassery (319 kms)
Option 2 - Bangalore (NICE Road) > Mysore > Manathavady > Thalassery (329 kms)

I plan to start around 4 AM from Bannerghatta Road and hope to reach as early as possible!

I would prefer a faster route than a scenic route as that will give me more time to spend at Thalassery. Speed is not a constraint as I'm driving a Figo TdCi.

Would also be helpful if someone could suggest possible pit stops.
I believe option 1 you have listed is Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Iritty-Teicherry. Avoid this road like plague. It is in almost non motorable condition from Hunsur to Virajpet. There are two good options
1. Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapura-Ammathi-Virajpet-Iritty-Telicherry: good roads for most of the route, except for a patch after Periyapatna until siddapura. Did travel on this route from Mananthavady to Bangalore yesterday.
2. Mysore-Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Tholpetty-Mananthavady-Periya ghats-Nidumpoil-Koothuparamba-Telicherry : good roads throughout except around 5km from Kutta town to Tholpetty, and again few patches on the periya ghats.

You would find many number of good eateries on Mysore road uptill Mandya. Beyond Mysore, the best option on either route would be Cafe coorg, Hunsur byepass. It would take approximately 3 hours from Bangalore to Hunsur if you start early , say by around 5 AM.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 13:14   #4798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
I believe option 1 you have listed is Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Iritty-Teicherry. Avoid this road like plague. It is in almost non motorable condition from Hunsur to Virajpet. There are two good options
1. Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapura-Ammathi-Virajpet-Iritty-Telicherry: good roads for most of the route, except for a patch after Periyapatna until siddapura. Did travel on this route from Mananthavady to Bangalore yesterday.
2. Mysore-Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Tholpetty-Mananthavady-Periya ghats-Nidumpoil-Koothuparamba-Telicherry : good roads throughout except around 5km from Kutta town to Tholpetty, and again few patches on the periya ghats.

You would find many number of good eateries on Mysore road uptill Mandya. Beyond Mysore, the best option on either route would be Cafe coorg, Hunsur byepass. It would take approximately 3 hours from Bangalore to Hunsur if you start early , say by around 5 AM.
Thanks for the info sandsun7.

Quick questions -

Should I take NICE Road > Kanakpura > Malavalli > Bannur > Mysore or NICE Road > SH17 > Maddur > Mandya > Mysore?

How much time did each of your routes take? Route 1 is 340 Kms and route 2 is 351 kms as per Google maps.
Old 4th February 2013, 13:39   #4799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info sandsun7.
Most welcome mate.

Quote:
Should I take NICE Road > Kanakpura > Malavalli > Bannur > Mysore or NICE Road > SH17 > Maddur > Mandya > Mysore?
SH17 Maddur-Mandya-mysore road, any day especialy if you start early.
And one important thing, do take mysore outer ring road to reach Hunsur road, avoid the shortcut through ranganathittu-KRS road. Take right onto ring road from Columbia Asia hospital junction. Here is the link
http://goo.gl/maps/5xJGu

Quote:
How much time did each of your routes take? Route 1 is 340 Kms and route 2 is 351 kms as per Google maps.
around 7-8 hours with relaxed driving either route.
Old 4th February 2013, 14:53   #4800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Any particular reason why you took this route when travelling from Mananthavady ? I'd have thought this would be rather roundabout and probably longer than even travelling via Bathery. (And which way did you travel from Mananthavady to Virajpet ? How are the road conditions ??)

Actually I was rather disappointed with the Periyapatna-Siddapura-Virajpet route when I travelled to Taliparamba this weekend. The first 8 to 10 kms from Periyapatna towards Siddapura is horrendous to say the least (max 20kmph territory), and then you have a fairly good road surface till Siddapura (16 kms). But from Siddapura onwards (Siddapura-Ammathy-Virajpet) the roads are quite rough (with potholes off and on) and I wasn't comfortable driving at anything over 40-50 kmph. The rough roads continues till about Perumbady, and improves from there on. (The 50 kms from SH88 turnoff at Periyapatna to Perumbady took me approximately 1.5 hours when travelling either way)

Quote:
I used the SH17 route while travelling towards Kerala and Bannur road while returning.

The onward route was at around 9:30 in the morning, and I took exactly 2 hours to cover the distance from NICE road/Mysore road junction in Bangalore till Columbia Asia junction at Mysore (120 kms). Traffic wasn't huge except in the towns, but the speedbreakers and town traffic is quite a pain.

While returning I passed Columbia-Asia junction (Mysore) at around 8:30 PM, and it took me 2 hrs 5 minutes to reach the NICE road-Kanakapura road junction (135 kms). Bannur road is quite decent in most parts except for about 2 kms on either side of Bannur town which is quite bad and pothole ridden. Also, there is some road relaying work going on around Bannur town and Malavalli that will slow you down somewhat, and the usual unmarked speedbreakers around each village that you pass by. But the plus point was that traffic was quite sparse all through.

From Malavalli to Bangalore was absolutely smooth (The 86 kms from Malavalli NH209 turning to NICE road took 1 hr 5 minutes), though I think the road surface on Kanakapura-Bangalore stretch has deteriorated somewhat from what it was a month ago.

So not really worth it taking Bannur road in low traffic times, but can help you avoid the heavy traffic on SH17 if you're travelling during peak hours. (I don't think I could have covered SH17 in 2 hours during the night drive)

Quote:
Took me around 7 hours of actual driving time to cover the 320 kms (335 kms on return). Add breaks as necessary. Timings to Tellicherry should be similar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks