Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2013, 11:10   #4816
Team-BHP Support

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I mean 9 pm. By the time we enter Kerala, the traffic will be almost NIL and can maintain good average speeds easily (I prefer night drives on any high traffic routes)
Thanks. Since you mentioned 3:30 AM start, I thought you may be referring to 9AM instead of 9PM. Hence the doubt.
Old 10th February 2013, 11:34   #4817
BHPian

Took the infamous NH47 stretch between Palakkad and Trichur (Kuthiran stretch) two days back. Abt 20kms are still bad with potholes that can catch you off guard, and some are impossible to miss. Keep your speeds down, and this is not as bad as it used to be. I avoided the Palakkad - Ottapalam - Shoranur - Trichur roads owing to heavy traffic that would be prevalent during the time of travel, ~2pm. Time taken on both the routes seem to be more or less the same. If the journey is at night or early morning (less traffic), the Shoranur route is better and faster, and if traveling during day time, the Kuthiran route isn't as bad is being made out.
unni.ak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 14:34   #4818
BHPian

Quote:
Onward was via Mysore road and return through Kanakpura.

Mysore road is ideal for off peak hours while running time on Kanakpura road remains almost same throughout.

I mean 9 pm. By the time we enter Kerala, the traffic will be almost NIL and can maintain good average speeds easily (I prefer night drives on any high traffic routes)
I remember there was a restriction to enter the forest zone beyond 6pm or something like that. If you arrive at the check-post beyond that time you have to wait until 6am next day morning for the check-posts to open up the gates; atleast this is what I remember from my last trip a couple of years back. Can you confirm on this restriction, it will help me plan some upcoming trips.
Old 10th February 2013, 14:54   #4819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71

I remember there was a restriction to enter the forest zone beyond 6pm or something like that. If you arrive at the check-post beyond that time you have to wait until 6am next day morning for the check-posts to open up the gates; atleast this is what I remember from my last trip a couple of years back. Can you confirm on this restriction, it will help me plan some upcoming trips.
Yes, gates remain closed from 9pm to 6am.Ofcourse, vehicles entered at 9pm can exit.
Old 11th February 2013, 21:06   #4820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Quite a late response so not sure if this is of help. The Batlagundu stretch is being widended so instead of taking the regular turn off from NH7 towards Batlagundu, continue on NH7 and take the exit to Kodai Road (this has been discussed in the threads as well).
Thanks for the response NPV, though I did the trip on 27th Jan via Batlagundu itself - just took a chance. The road condition is much better than my previous trip 4 months ago.

The update is that - there are some patches with no tar roads (like 50 to 100 meters stretch where tar is yet to be laid) between the exit from NH7 towards Batlagundu as well as between Batlagundu and Theni. I counted up to 6-7 such patches. Work is still in progress and might get completed soon. It is better to avoid this stretch and take the exit to Kodai Road as mentioned by NPV (I have never taken this exit, though) while the road work is still progressing.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12th February 2013, 09:38   #4821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did Bangalore-Pattambi-Bangalore trip yesterday.

Stopped for breakfast at Vazhikadavu.
How is the condition of Nadugani ghat? Has it improved?
Old 12th February 2013, 15:06   #4822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk

How is the condition of Nadugani ghat? Has it improved?
I don't think any repair work carried out there. There are two places where the dip is almost one foot.

Still, these potholes can be negotiated.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 16:01   #4823
Senior - BHPian

Mysore - Thirunelly

Guys,

I am driving from Bangalore to Thirunelly via Mysore and am undecided on going via Hunsur/Nagarhole or Bavali/Kattikulam. Can someone help me out here? Last I heard, the "detour" b/w HD Kote handpost and Bavali is still active and one ends up losing time there. Any inputs?
Old 18th February 2013, 16:08   #4824
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mysore - Thirunelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

I am driving from Bangalore to Thirunelly via Mysore and am undecided on going via Hunsur/Nagarhole or Bavali/Kattikulam. Can someone help me out here? Last I heard, the "detour" b/w HD Kote handpost and Bavali is still active and one ends up losing time there. Any inputs?
Hunsur-Nagarahole-Kutta is the best route to get to Tirunelli.
While Hunsur-Virajpet is a disaster, there still remain some small sections of bad road - but manageable - in the HD KOte-Manathavady route
Old 18th February 2013, 20:42   #4825
BHPian

Coimbatore to Silent Valley

Friends,

Could someone please confirm if there is any bus service between Coimbatore and Mukkali (Silent Valley)? If yes, how frequent are the timings?
Old 18th February 2013, 22:43   #4826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coimbatore to Silent Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Friends,

Could someone please confirm if there is any bus service between Coimbatore and Mukkali (Silent Valley)? If yes, how frequent are the timings?
From CBE(Gandhipuram),you have buses to Anaikatti,cross the border on foot and take another bus to Mukkali.I doubt if there are direct buses to Mukkali.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 18th February 2013 at 22:49.
Old 19th February 2013, 11:07   #4827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Friends,

There is a KSRTC bus to Mannarkkad/Kozhikode via Anaikatti from Coimbatore (Gandhipuram). Though I had seen it many times, not sure about the timings. I think it will pass through Mukkali.

Last edited by Arun.K : 19th February 2013 at 11:08.
Old 19th February 2013, 18:06   #4828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
From CBE(Gandhipuram),you have buses to Anaikatti,cross the border on foot and take another bus to Mukkali.I doubt if there are direct buses to Mukkali.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
There is a KSRTC bus to Mannarkkad/Kozhikode via Anaikatti from Coimbatore (Gandhipuram). Though I had seen it many times, not sure about the timings. I think it will pass through Mukkali.
Thanks for the inputs Ranjitp1 & Arun.K

Now I am assured that I can reach Mukkali thru bus (either direct or via Anaikatti). My friends are planning a trip to Silent Valley this weekend and I will update the bus timings once my friends are back from the trip
Old 20th February 2013, 10:14   #4829
Senior - BHPian

Travelled to Sabarimalai last week through Shenkottai - Achankovil - Konni-Sabarimalai.
Shenkottai-Achankovil is good roads.
This road Achankovil-Konni is through the forest and no villages in between for about 30kms.
the roads are good initially for about 10kms after that 25kms is all gravel road.Could manage
to drive because of SUV vehicle not advisable for low ground clearance vehicles.
The last 10kms before reaching Konni is good.
Konni-Sabarimalai is good roads.
On the return from Sabarimalai took the Sabarimalai-Vadaserrikkara-Konni-Punalur-Shenkkotai route
this road is good all throughout.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-img_0074.jpgr.jpg  

Last edited by gajadonga : 20th February 2013 at 10:43.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 12:30   #4830
BHPian

Kindly update on road conditions between Coimbatore- Palakkad- Calicut.
I have these two options. Kindly advice the expected day travel time and conditions.
Cheers!!!
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-screen-shot-20130221-12.27.28-pm.png  

Last edited by Sportsmind : 21st February 2013 at 12:32.

Most Viewed