Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:55   #4921
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

I have travelled to Bangalore on 28th march through-Angamaly-Mannuthy-Palakkad-Kovai-Avinashi-Salem-Bangalore. The stretch between Mannuthy-Palakkad is strenuous due to pot holes for nearly 10-15 kms. Slow moving traffic. But after Kuthiran it is manageable. Avoid travelling during night and evenings.

Then between Avinashi-Salem it is far better compared to few months back. Roads are wide enough to drive and keep a manageable speed. Again between Krishnagiri and Hosur 6 lane construction is going on but not affecting the traffic except few places.

Took 10hours and 45 minutes to cover 686 kms from my home in Kerala to CV Raman Nagar and 11 hours 25 minutes vice versa
BinFord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:49   #4922
BHPian

Over the weekend I had a change in plan and had to drive to Kannur side, instead of Kohzikode. I PMed @sandsun7 and got some detailed and highly accurate suggestions on the route. Thank you very much.

I am quoting from Sandsun7's message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
1. Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Nagarhole-Mananthavady-Perya ghats-Koothuparamba-Telicherry/Kannur
2. Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapura-Ammathi-Virajpet-Iritty-Mattanur-Telicherry/Kannur

Roads are slightly better on route 1. This route has nightime restrictions and is open only from 6AM to 6PM.
Route 2 has few bad patches after Periyapatna (around 10km) but doable even in a sedan. Time taken would be around 7-8 hours for both routes.'
I went by Route 1 on my way to Kannur, and on return Route 2. The only bad patch was the 4 hair pin bends before hitting Nedumpoil, which comes before Chittiparambha and Koothuparamba. Also, a small stretch near Kutta where you take a sharp U turn towards Thalaserry (straight goes to Gonikoppal with one Cafe Robusta on it, lots of road repairs there)

But this is nothing compared to the several kilometers of bad stretches on Route 2. Route 2 was superb all the way from Kannur through Irrity. Roads inside Kerala were impeccable. Outskirts of Virajpet potholes start showing up. Not too bad. The worst was the Siddapura to Periyapatna stretch. I had to drive at 25-30 kmph. Reminded me of the Krishnagiri - Tiruvanamalai stretch in some sense. After Periyapatna once you hit the Madikeri Mysore SH88, things were super.

Once again, thanks @Sandsun7!
dhuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:12   #4923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Route 2 was superb all the way from Kannur through Irrity. Roads inside Kerala were impeccable. Outskirts of Virajpet potholes start showing up. Not too bad. The worst was the Siddapura to Periyapatna stretch. I had to drive at 25-30 kmph. Reminded me of the Krishnagiri - Tiruvanamalai stretch in some sense.
Its definitely bad. But still doable. As you said the other route is a tad better.
Nice tarmac along the plantations before Siddapur also provide a stark consrast to the horrible section before.

Another thing to note is that apart from Cafe Coorg there is also a Coffee before Periyapatna.
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:48   #4924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Another thing to note is that apart from Cafe Coorg there is also a Coffee before Periyapatna.
You are right about the Cafe Coffee Day before we hit before Periyapatna. New menu seems better these days and the coffee little hotter. It is a must stop after that rattling KM before reaching here!
Old 6th April 2013, 12:03   #4925
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone recently been to parunthumpara? Would like to get an update of the road from Ernakulam
Old 7th April 2013, 18:36   #4926
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Salem-Kochi and back recently.
Started 1:30am and reached Kochi 7am (nonstop)
Return 4:30am and reached Salem 10:30am(15min puncture repair break)

The road till Coimbatore is pretty decent now. Just before the L&T bypass some unscientific bumps are there.

Coimbatore to Palakkad is much better now. Beyond Palakkad, I took the Ottapalam-Shornur-Thrissur bypass route. Its pristine with sparse traffic.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 18:49   #4927
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
The road till Coimbatore is pretty decent now. Just before the L&T bypass some unscientific bumps are there.

Coimbatore to Palakkad is much better now. Beyond Palakkad, I took the Ottapalam-Shornur-Thrissur bypass route. Its pristine with sparse traffic.
Any delays on the Walayar checkpost Robi? Or its the timing that helped you over come the same?

Dont know when the actual four lane would happen. A distant reality as of today.
Old 7th April 2013, 18:55   #4928
BHPian

This week I drove to Nedumangad from Bangalore. I used the following route.

Bangalore - Salem - Madurai (Tirumangalam) - Tenkasi - Thenmala - Kulathupuzha - Nedumangad

The road conditions are excellent. Heat on the Salem - Tirumangalam stretch was unbearable.
Tirumangalam - Nedumangad stretch is state highways with plenty of trees that offer sanctuary form the scotching sun.
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 18:56   #4929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any delays on the Walayar checkpost Robi? Or its the timing that helped you over come the same?

Dont know when the actual four lane would happen. A distant reality as of today.
Ampere, there was no delay whatsoever. I timed it pretty good this time so as to avoid traffic delays. I think if I left Kochi by say 3am, it would have been even better. I like it before the suicidal bikers hit the road especially in the 2 lane sections.

Last edited by robimahanta : 7th April 2013 at 18:58.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 18:56   #4930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Has anyone recently been to parunthumpara? Would like to get an update of the road from Ernakulam
Good roads, ideally take the Muvattupuzha-THodupuzha-Erattupetta-Kanjirapalli-Kuttikanam route.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 18:57   #4931
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Tirumangalam - Nedumangad stretch is state highways with plenty of trees that offer sanctuary form the scotching sun.
I think its a NH. Only beyond Thenmala it becomes a SH. I have also read about lot of inter town traffic on this NH after Thirumangalam all the way up to Thenmala.
Folks visiting Courtallam have to face this music.
Old 8th April 2013, 20:38   #4932
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to visit Palakkad, want to avoid Chengapalli-Coimbatore and Walayar stretches, so planning this route:
Bangalore-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Govindapuram-Kollengode-Alathur-Palakkad.

1.Is it worth taking this detour and extra 40-50 Km ? Will be starting by 5 am from Blr
2.Also want to know the recommended route from Palakkad to Calicut - the regular route via NH 213 or any other route (Shoranur, etc) ? My first time on this route, hence the question

Last edited by NPV : 8th April 2013 at 20:41.
Old 8th April 2013, 21:27   #4933
Senior - BHPian

Local newspapers reported atleast 3 huge traffic Jams in Kuthiran section (between Trichur & Palakad)over last 7 days , one was 13 hrs long. All owing to some road repair work on the "Irumbu Palam" (Iron bridge).

All of them started post noon.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 21:33   #4934
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Planning to visit Palakkad, want to avoid Chengapalli-Coimbatore and Walayar stretches, so planning this route:
Bangalore-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Govindapuram-Kollengode-Alathur-Palakkad.

1.Is it worth taking this detour and extra 40-50 Km ? Will be starting by 5 am from Blr
If Alathur is not one of the destination on the way, you can directly go to Palakkad from Pollachi.

About Palakkad-Calicut:

How is Ottapalam-Shoranur-Pattambi-Kottakal-Calicut as an alternative? I am sure it would be very traffic prone.

Last edited by ampere : 8th April 2013 at 21:56.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 06:06   #4935
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If Alathur is not one of the destination on the way, you can directly go to Palakkad from Pollachi.
Thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot this! Yes, on the onward journey we need to reach Palakkad on Day 1, not necessary to visit Alathur on the way as we can visit next day from Palakkad.

Quote:
About Palakkad-Calicut:
How is Ottapalam-Shoranur-Pattambi-Kottakal-Calicut as an alternative? I am sure it would be very traffic prone.
Per @ranjitp1 this route Palakkad-Olavakkode-Mundur-Kozhikode is good but a bit confused due to gmaps suggesting Mundur-Kongad-Sreekrishnapuram-Perithalmanna-Malappuram-Kozhikode whereas the actual NH213 route is Palakkad-Olavakkode-Mundur-Kalladikode-Mannarkkad-Perithalmanna-Malappuram-Kozhikode.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks