Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2013, 18:20   #4966
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Bangalore-Mysore-Gudalur-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Trichur

Did above route yesterday. Entire route is in very good condition except for some 200 meters on Thepekadu-Gudalur stretch. Huge potholes after Kerala border is fixed but some are still exists which can be managed.

NICE road exit on Mysore road to Trichur toll - 399 kms as per phone GPS and 407 kms as per Figo ODO.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 08:30   #4967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Bangalore-Mysore-Gudalur-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Trichur
NICE road exit on Mysore road to Trichur toll - 399 kms as per phone GPS and 407 kms as per Figo ODO.
How much time did you take ? Though shorter in distance, perhaps no significant time saving ?? Do revert. Contemplating this route to Kochi next weekend. Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 10:54   #4968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
How much time did you take ? Though shorter in distance, perhaps no significant time saving ?? Do revert. Contemplating this route to Kochi next weekend. Thanks
From my experiences there is really no saving as compared to the NH7-NH47 route as what you save in distance and toll one loses in time and fuel efficiency and driving stress driving on the traffic prone vazhikadavu-thrissur sector.I usually take around 9hours from MG Road to Thrissur town with a 45 min break in between on the Nilambur route.Via the NH7-Perundurai-Palladam route it takes me around 8hrs with a break in between.
Old 14th April 2013, 13:17   #4969
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Back from our quick trip, here's the road condition, direction & timing update:
Route Taken:
Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem (NH7 till here)-(Turn off to NH47)-Perundurai-(Turn off to SH96)-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Gopalapuram-Palakkad

Started at 5:40 am from Bangalore and reached Palakkad at 1:10 pm with breaks of about 45 minutes.

Roads are good upto Perundurai, widening work in progress between Hosur-Krishnagiri not too much of a hindrance during day time.

Perundurai-Kangeyam - good but a little rough due to patch work and some small potholes that can be avoided easily. Last 10 Km to Kangeyam is excellent, seems recently done and probably work will continue towards Perundurai soon.

Kangeyam-Palladam - Excellent butter smooth roads, will put some of the NH's to shame, it's undivided 2 lane road and no toll

Palladam-Pollachi - Excellent just like Kangeyam-Palladam

At Pollachi, take a right turn into a wide 4 lane road with median, this leads up to the bus stand (second traffic light). Turn right at Bus stand and then left immediately, then a left and right again to merge onto same road as before (incomplete work on a flyover near bus stand is the culprit for these diversions).

Pollachi-Palakkad - starts out little rough just after the bus stand and then a hellish stretch of about 5 km with just gravel, before Gopalapuram - work is in progress though so I guess it should be done in a month or two. Once you enter Gopalapuram, roads are excellent upto Chandranagar, Palakkad.

Took this route to Palakkad first time and happy overall since I wanted to avoid Chengapalli-Coimbatore-Walayar-Palakkad.

Will suggest an early start from Bangalore to avoid truck traffic on Hosur-Salem stretch as well as Salem city traffic (daredevils on 2 wheelers!), we managed to just squeeze through just as it was building up!

Last edited by NPV : 14th April 2013 at 13:21.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 18:54   #4970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
This route is not for a fast drive. We left NICE Road/Mysore road junction at 2.15pm and reached Trichur toll at about 11.30pm with three tea breaks, dinner and too many stops to photoshoot wild animals. We could easily maintain 80-100 at several stretches as the car was racechip installed.

In addition to this, we got a ticket for over speeding just after Mysore. We were at 60kmph and they said the limit is 50kmph

Again, the car stopped at two places after Mysore for election related checking. They took videos of entire car at both the places!

I am feeling bored with Salem route hence try other routes. If you are looking for a change, I recommend Kanakpura-Satyamangalam-Coimbatore route over Nilambur route for a faster drive.
Old 15th April 2013, 19:03   #4971
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Just retrieved and compiled the rest of the logs for other legs of our trip.

Palakkad-Alathur (NH47): Rough, but driveable and much better than the 'dark' days during earlier trips when there were craters!
Interestingly, road widening work is in progress in few parts of this stretch where the proposed areas to be widened are same level or 3-4 feet below the existing road, in other places where there is lot of level difference there is not much progress.
Visited SNR Chips at Alathur on Day 1 evening (first time) and loaded up with mouth watering banana chips for family and friends. Since it was hot off the wok (they use the traditional Kerala Urli) they pack it in plastic bag+brown paper bag with ventilation in the form of 4 holes punched - Nice.

The Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakkara road is in great condition but we went only upto Kavasseri temple and had a wonderful early morning darshan.

Palakkad (bypass)-Mundur-Mannarkad-Perinthalmanna-Malappuram-Ramanattukkara-Calicut
Started at 10:15 am and reached cousin's home in Calicut at 1 pm

Excellent roads (took NH213 first time), there was good traffic, slowing down mostly in the larger towns. Most of this route has new tarmac and lane marking in progress when nearing Ramanattukkara.

Calicut-Thamarassery-Kalpetta-Sulthan Bathery-Gundlupet-Chamarajanagar-Kollegal-Malavalli-Kanakapura-Bangalore (Via NICE Road, Hosur Road, Koramangala).
Excellent roads (Thamarassery ghat road is awesome, new tarmac on Kalpetta-Bathery stretch with just about 2Km beyond Bathery town where work is still in progress on one lane with other lane completed.
After Bathery, road is rough with some potholes when nearing the forest checkpost and continues like this till you cross Kerala border checkpost.
After this, the road on Karnataka side is brand new and awesome with very good markings for the speed breakers. Only blemish is 2 speed breakers are unmarked towards the end of the forest road, but this should be done soon.
We were also lucky to spot a small group of 4-5 elephants ~50 metres from the road while driving on the forest road.

Started at 7:15 am from Calicut, stopped for breakfast at Woodlands, Kalpetta (8:50 am, 40 minutes), stopped for lunch at Gokul, Kanakapura (1:40pm, 1 hour) and reached home at 4 pm.

Last edited by NPV : 15th April 2013 at 19:11.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 19:27   #4972
BHPian

Did a Bangalore Palakkad touch and run back drive between 13th noon and 14th noon. Just to be with parents for Vishu

Road construction happening in Krishnagiri belt. Watch out for deviations and shoulder ditches.

Perundurai to L&T bypass, work is progressing very fast. One major major danger to look out are the humps made in the over bridges. So many of them have come up in the construction area and none are marked. Very high chances of missing them and a low clearance car would lose its prized bumper in the bargain.

Please watch out.
Old 15th April 2013, 20:32   #4973
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Started at 10:15 am and reached cousin's home in Calicut at 1 pm

Excellent roads (took NH213 first time), there was good traffic, slowing down mostly in the larger towns. Most of this route has new tarmac and lane marking in progress when nearing Ramanattukkara.

NH213 has always had dense traffic. Its one of the arterial NH (apart from NH47). I remember wading 213 at Perinthalmanna on my way to Nilambur via Melattoor. Traffic never ceased to be less.
Old 16th April 2013, 08:34   #4974
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
After Perintalmanna, dont miss the by-pass to Malappuram town : comes just after you cross the bridge over Kadalundi river at Koottilangadi, towards the right. You will hit the Malappuram-Manjeri road. Here you take right and then immediate left. Further about a km or so you will join back NH213
@mallumowgli - you were spot on, thanks for these perfect directions.
Once you cross the bridge, the road curves to the left and the junction for Malappuram bypass is just ahead on an upward incline to the right, so it is quite easy to miss.
Would like to add one more turn for completeness of this tip, though it is quite obvious -
Further about a km or so you will join back NH213 where you need to turn right

Tips for those taking Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi route:
At Kangeyam, you hardly find any signages for Palladam. When you reach a large circle/round-about with a traffic light, you need to turn right onto the perpendicular road (you will see a post office on the perpendicular road almost at the corner).

About 15 Km later, this road merges with the Dharapuram Road where you need to turn left (right goes to Tiruppur) and immediate right (straight goes to Dharapuram). Here you will not see Palladam signage but there is a signage for Pongalur.

At Palladam, just before a flyover you will see a road to left marked for Pollachi which you need to take. On taking this turn you will also see another road to left which is for Udumalaipettai, ignore this and proceed straight for Pollachi.

Last edited by NPV : 16th April 2013 at 08:45.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 09:32   #4975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
From my experiences there is really no saving as compared to the NH7-NH47 route as what you save in distance and toll one loses in time and fuel efficiency and driving stress driving on the traffic prone vazhikadavu-thrissur sector.I usually take around 9hours from MG Road to Thrissur town with a 45 min break in between on the Nilambur route.Via the NH7-Perundurai-Palladam route it takes me around 8hrs with a break in between.
Quote:
This route is not for a fast drive. We left NICE Road/Mysore road junction at 2.15pm and reached Trichur toll at about 11.30pm with three tea breaks, dinner and too many stops to photoshoot wild animals. We could easily maintain 80-100 at several stretches as the car was racechip installed.
Thanks ranjitp1 & coolclouds.

Quote:
In addition to this, we got a ticket for over speeding just after Mysore. We were at 60kmph and they said the limit is 50kmph
I am feeling bored with Salem route hence try other routes. If you are looking for a change, I recommend Kanakpura-Satyamangalam-Coimbatore route over Nilambur route for a faster drive.
I too got a speeding tkt, returning from the go-kart meet on 7th Apr, just after Kengeri. I was at 78kmph and they said the limit is 60kmph

Yes, looking for a change from fast drive and to a new route. Have already done both Sathyamangalam and Nilambur to CBE and CLT. I might just try the Pollachi - Alathur- Trissur this time, braving the Kuthiran stretch as NPV has reported significant improvement. Did the Shoranur route last Kochi trip.
Old 16th April 2013, 09:53   #4976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Where did you get the speed ticket? Was the speed limit marked? This is very frustrating.
Old 16th April 2013, 10:00   #4977
BHPian

Guys I am planning a trip to my hometown in Kerala on 18th of this month. I will start from Tambaram in Chennai and my hometown is in Thiruvalla. As per Google maps the shortest route seems to be Tambaram-Trichy-Dindigul-Kumily-Thiruvalla.This will be my first long drive and I understand there is a ghat section involved in the route. My wife,two year old son and my mother will be with me. I will be the lone driver. I plan to start at 5.00am and reach home before dark. The other slightly longer route is Tambaram-Krishnagiri-Salem-Coimbatore-Thrissur-Ernakulam-Thiruvalla route. This route doesn't involve any major ghat sections. My major concern is to avoid driving after dark. So if I leave at 5.00am in the morning will I be able to reach by evening?
Please help me to decide guys. Would be great if I can get some suggestions by today evening.
Old 16th April 2013, 11:02   #4978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Guys I am planning a trip to my hometown in Kerala on 18th of this month. I will start from Tambaram in Chennai and my hometown is in Thiruvalla.... Would be great if I can get some suggestions by today evening.
You didn't mention your ride. It took me around 14 hours for me when I did it in late 2010 via Krishnagiri Salem L&T Road Palakkad, Thrissur upto Ernakulam. Unless you are an experienced driver, I suggest you avoid the ghat section as you are the only driver. Since you are in Tambaram, I suggest you take the Tindivanam Ulundurpet Salem route. From Angamaly, turn left onto MC Road and go via Perumbavoor Muvattupuzha Ettumanoor Kottayam Changanacherry to reach Tiruvalla. Highway driving will be much less tiresome that ghat driving. Slot it in 5th and maintain a steady speed of 90-100 km. Must I must say that traffic will be on the higher side after crossing Kerala border if you go via NH 47.

Last edited by longhorn : 16th April 2013 at 11:08.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 11:22   #4979
BHPian

Hi Guyz, Just completed a round about trip from Bangalore to Thrissur Via Salem - Coimbatore - Walayar - Palakad - Vadakancherry - Thrissur.

Bangalore - Krishnagiri:

It took us 3 hours to reach Krishnagiri flyover. The diversions because of 6-lane road work funnels to single lane. My suggestion is not to start in the night. We did and it was horrible.

Krishnagiri - Avinashi:

This is continues to be a good stretch. can drive at an average speed of 120kmph.

Avinashi - Coimbatore By-pass:

expect diversions, however, most part of the roads are unmarked 6-lane. Just be care over every drain/flyover bridge...the joints have newly been attached. This is attachment is like a speedbreaker. so dont be tempted to accelerate.

Coimbatore By-pass:

Good, however the tar has given rise to uneven surface. drive cautiously as you may not able to control ur vehicle when/if breaked suddenly.

Walayar to Vadakancherry:

Patched roads. is definitely do-able.

Vadakancherry - Kuthiran - Pattikad:

This stretch would need you to be cautious (nothing to be worried about). certain potholes to avoid. just regular gear change is needed. again...definitely do-able.

Kuthiran is good to go. Not much traffic. patched up. Irumbu Pallam is widened.

Total Hours (One Way): 9hrs (with mulitple breaks as we had our dog with us)

Hope this has been helpful to those who are travelling this route.
Boomerang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 11:22   #4980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
You didn't mention your ride.
Oops!!! Missed the most important part. My ride is Liva Diesel. I will check out the route you have mentioned. Please PM me your mail id or mobile no. so that I can contact you directly. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks