Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:02   #5056
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say, its much better nowadays. Even though there are deviations, but they can be easily managed.
Yes, it is much better. In fact it didn't bother me at all. The deviations are well marked and the narrow single lane stretches are very limited. Less traffic in the early morning also helped while coming towards Krishnagiri. It might be a different situation while returning considering the timing, around noon.

We started at 4AM from HSR Layout and reached home Kadavanthra (Kochi) at 1:45PM, with a single breakfast break at Kanjikode (10:15AM-11:00AM). Traffic was moderate, probably due to holiday (May day). Took the regular route, and there were no traffic blocks at Walayar or Kuthiran. We were slowed down only at Toll booths. Palakkad - Trichur road is patched up and very much driveable. Can easily do 50-60, though there are occasional deep potholes around Wadakkanchery, should be cautious at night. There was a speed trap right after Mannuthy once the 4-lane started, after the first signal, and saw many were stopped.
Old 3rd May 2013, 17:18   #5057
Senior - BHPian

I am off to Kerala from Bangalore tomorrow (Saturday) morning. I expect to start at 5AM. How much of a delay should I expect due to election-related checking?
Old 3rd May 2013, 21:11   #5058
Senior - BHPian

Completed a Bangalore-Mysore-Sulthan Bathery-Kozhikode-Kunnamkulam-Trichur-Palakkad-Salem-Bangalore trip today.

Too many police check posts between Bangalore and Guldlupet but none stopped me (May be due to evening time - Bangalore 5pm dep)

Heavy traffic on Mysore road, Kanakpura road should be better for this time of the day.

Road around Muthanga check post is under repair. They finished it for one side by yesterday.

The stretch from Sulthan Bathery to Koduvally (IIRC) was a breeze.

Bumpy surface between Kunnamkulam and Trichur for few kms.

Thamarassery ghat is in good shape. Overall, Kerala roads are in good condition
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 21:45   #5059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I am off to Kerala from Bangalore tomorrow (Saturday) morning. I expect to start at 5AM. How much of a delay should I expect due to election-related checking?
Don't think you need to worry too much about it. If you're going via Salem, the drive through Karnataka is minimal, so there may not be any delays. If going via NH209, may be an additional 10 minutes delay can be expected.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 04:24   #5060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If going via NH209, may be an additional 10 minutes delay can be expected.
Thanks. 209 leading to 212 it is. About to start now.
Old 4th May 2013, 07:53   #5061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Too many police check posts between Bangalore and Guldlupet but none stopped me (May be due to evening time - Bangalore 5pm dep)

Road around Muthanga check post is under repair. They finished it for one side by yesterday.

Bumpy surface between Kunnamkulam and Trichur for few kms.

Thamarassery ghat is in good shape. Overall, Kerala roads are in good condition
Thanks a lot for the update. We are driving next weekend KOCHI - THRISSUR - SHORNUR - PATTAMBI - NILAMBUR - THEPPAKKADU - GUNDLUPET - MUTHANGA - SULTAN BATTERY - KOZHIKODE - EDAPPAL - PONNANI - CHAVAKKAD - KODUNGALLOOR - KOCHI

Hope the forest still closes between 9:30PM and 6:00AM only.

I heard some updates on Muthanga - Sultan Battery on bad roads, is it the same you mentioned?
Old 4th May 2013, 07:59   #5062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs

Thanks a lot for the update. We are driving next weekend KOCHI - THRISSUR - SHORNUR - PATTAMBI - NILAMBUR - THEPPAKKADU - GUNDLUPET - MUTHANGA - SULTAN BATTERY - KOZHIKODE - EDAPPAL - PONNANI - CHAVAKKAD - KODUNGALLOOR - KOCHI

Hope the forest still closes between 9:30PM and 6:00AM only.

I heard some updates on Muthanga - Sultan Battery on bad roads, is it the same you mentioned?
Forest gate closes at 9pm to 6am.
Muthanga - Bathery is in good condition.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 15:10   #5063
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Cochin-Bangalore today. Took the usual NH-47 route and the roads are pretty good. But Mannuthy-Vadakanchery is pretty bad with some huge potholes. Average speed was about 40-50 km/hr. After that it's pretty good.
It's high time that the L&T bypass is repaired. The roads are in pretty bad shape due to the uneven road surface. Although the road is tempting, high speed is a big risk here. While applying the car wasnt stable. Cant imagine what happens at high speeds here. Also, the toll is irritating here. Everytime people had to show the tickets. They even close with barricades and once they see the ticket, they open. Cant they use a centralized system where they can check when the car approaches?

Deviations are pretty manageable. Started at 4am and reached Koramangala at 11.30
Old 5th May 2013, 16:05   #5064
BHPian

I have to travel to Kottayam tomorrow morning from Trivandrum. The usual route is via Kottarakkara, Changanassery. I would like to know the condition of this route or is there any way via the NH47 that leads to Kottayam (Ofcourse, via some deviated route)? Which would turn out to be easier regarding road condition, travel time, etc. And are speed guns installed along the MC road too??

Thank you!
Old 5th May 2013, 16:17   #5065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I have to travel to Kottayam tomorrow morning from Trivandrum. The usual route is via Kottarakkara, Changanassery. I would like to know the condition of this route or is there any way via the NH47 that leads to Kottayam (Ofcourse, via some deviated route)? Which would turn out to be easier regarding road condition, travel time, etc. And are speed guns installed along the MC road too??

Thank you!
Great roads. Even the rough roads around Chengannur are much better.
AFAIK, no speed guns on MC Road.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 16:25   #5066
BHPian

Quote:
I And are speed guns installed along the MC road too??

Thank you!
There may not be "installed" speed guns in MC road, but there are police Highway Patrol team with speed guns. One of my friends were fined two months back on a sunday for overspeeding.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 16:56   #5067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Great roads. Even the rough roads around Chengannur are much better.
AFAIK, no speed guns on MC Road.
Thanks a lot hvkumar sir! So i'l be using the MC road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
There may not be "installed" speed guns in MC road, but there are police Highway Patrol team with speed guns. One of my friends were fined two months back on a sunday for overspeeding.
Thank you ontheroad. I'l look out for them. I'll update about the drive soon Thank you.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the
Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th May 2013 at 09:18.
Old 6th May 2013, 10:25   #5068
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you!
The route I usually take when travelling North during daytime is constant till the High school Jn., Adoor.

Bypass --> Kazhakootam --> Pothencode --> Venjaramoodu --> continue on MC Road --> Adoor Bypass --> High School Jn. Adoor

and then turn off towards Kayamkulam or Chengannur depending on the destination.

New speed cameras are being / have been installed at as many as 12 locations on this route. A few already have the cameras installed, whereas the remaining already have the Pole for the camera, Recorder box and the magnetic strips in place and are just waiting on the camera to be installed.

In addition, the Speed Tracer vehicles of Kerala Police will be present at other locations with Mobile Camera Units.

I am listing as many of the location that I can remember (in case it is of help those plying on the MC Road regularly):

On Trivandrum NH Bypass

1. Between the Toyota Showroom and Technopark Main Gate

Vettu Road

2. Chandavila - Near St. Thomas Engineering College - Camera already installed
3. 1 km before Venjaramoodu - Camera already installed

MC Road

4. Near Sree Gokulam Medical College, about half a km after Venjaramoodu
5. Long Stretch between Karette and Kilimanoor
6. 1 km before Nilamel
7. Kuriyode - 1.5 km After Nilamel Jn. about 500m after the JCB showroom
8. About half a km before the 3rd of the sets of Rumble strips between Ayoor and Valakom
9. Long stretch before Mercy Hospital (not sure if location is correct)
10. Kalayapuram - Between Kalayapuram and Puthoormukku
11. Kilivayal - Regular Speed Tracer location near the Restaurant (can't remember the name of the restaurant)
12. Adoor Bypass - Before the first set of Rumble strips

There are a few new cameras being installed on the NH too, however, I just noticed them on a late night drive, don't really remember the locations.
RobC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 10:40   #5069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And are speed guns installed along the MC road too??

Drove from Vaikom to Brookefield, Bangalore yesterday. Started at 5:23 AM and reached Brookefield at 2:28 PM. Total distance 571 KMs. Total Break time 35 mins. Driving time 8.5 hours. Took the NH 47 - NH 7 route. Only bad section is between Mannuthy and Vadakkencherry but it can be easily managed.

I noticed lot of (what appeared to be) speed cameras on NH 47 between Angamaly and Mannuthy. Could not spot any between Kalamassery and Angamaly. They can be easily spotted during day time and most of them are kept at intersections. There were 2 after the Paliyekkara toll both.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 12:15   #5070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
We are driving next weekend KOCHI - THRISSUR - SHORNUR - PATTAMBI - NILAMBUR - THEPPAKKADU - GUNDLUPET - MUTHANGA - SULTAN BATTERY - KOZHIKODE - EDAPPAL - PONNANI - CHAVAKKAD - KODUNGALLOOR - KOCHI
Any word of caution after the KA elections? Overall I have a good feeedback on the road condition.

Most Viewed