Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2013, 22:20   #5116
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, calls for some aggressive time schedules to make it happen. That is the best way to do it.

Just bear in mind that the roads approaching Wynad close at 9 pm, so you have to be very swift on Day 3 too
From Kolhapur can I take the Shimoga-Hunsur route instead of going via Chitradurga-Bangalore?
Old 18th May 2013, 22:30   #5117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
From Kolhapur can I take the Shimoga-Hunsur route instead of going via Chitradurga-Bangalore?
I would prefer the high-speed GQ Corridor till Bangalore instead of the 2-laned mountain roads, at least for the onward journey
Old 18th May 2013, 22:35   #5118
BHPian

Ramesh i travelled last week and it is awful. You better take the shornur road to guruvayur as it is less busy and the road is ok too
Old 18th May 2013, 22:37   #5119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would prefer the high-speed GQ Corridor till Bangalore instead of the 2-laned mountain roads, at least for the onward journey
Thank you Sir. This settles it. Now remains the itinerary and I will get back to you for help as soon as I have the confirmed dates.

Regards
Old 21st May 2013, 14:46   #5120
Senior - BHPian

Had a trip to Cochin/Kottayam/Calicut last week and travelled through some roads whose conditions are not reported here too frequently. Thought I'll post an update about the road conditions.

Took the NH209-Karumathampatti-Palghat-Trichur-Ernakulam route on the journey to Kerala. NH209 is excellent till Chamarajanagar (as reported elsewhere) and is slightly patchy around Hasanur-Dimbum (Saw some roadwork happening there). The ghat section is fine, but not as butter smooth as it used to be - one can see occasional potholes here and there, but nothing to worry about. From Bannari onwards the road is again in excellent shape even though I had to encounter fairly dense traffic between Sathyamangalam and Annur.

The acute left turn at Annur to Avinashi road had been blocked by the police by placing some barriers. But there is no "No Left Turn" board there and everyone was turning left there itself (and people coming from Avinashi side turning right towards Sathy as well) creating an absolute mess at that junction. Not sure if they're planning to block off that turning permanently or not. After surmounting that small obstacle, the road till Karumathampatty was again excellent. Took 4 hrs 50 minutes to cover the distance from ISRO Layout Bangalore to Karumathampatti (295 kms) inclusive of a 15 minute breakfast break.

The traffic on the Karumathampatti to Neelambur (Coimbatore byepass start) was again messy with vehicles going in both directions on both sides of the 6 lane highway (half of which is often blocked, but people find some way of getting in there anyway). Also the entry to the byepass had a "No Entry" board that is confusing, so I ended up taking the road to Coimbatore, and then taking a left turn immediately thereafter to join the byepass after the Toll gates. Road conditions on the Byepass is the same as before, with rather uneven roads, but no potholes. From L&T byepass end till Palghat was more or less OK with diversions off and on, and patchy roads around K.G.Chavady and Walayar. Couldn't see any signs of any work in progress though.

NH47 from Palghat to Trichur was better than expected. Most of the big potholes on the Kuthiran stretch have been patched up, and didn't encounter any major traffic block either even though I passed the stretch around noon. Took only 1 hour 35 minutes to cover the 60 km stretch till Mannuthy inclusive of a 30 minutes lunch break. I think the Shoranur diversion is not called for in the current conditions, at least during a day drive.

Mannuthy to Ernakulam drive was also smooth - escaped with not too many stops at signals, and didn't spot any interceptor vehicles either.

Total time taken : 9 hrs 5 minutes for 497 kms (including 45 minutes breaks)

Breakup :

Bangalore - CBE (L&T Byepass start) : 304 kms 5:05 hrs (incl 0:15 break)
CBE - Palghat (Chandranagar) : 61 kms, 1:05 hrs
PGT-Trichur (Mannuthy) : 59 kms, 1:35 hrs (incl. 0:30 break)
TCR-Ernakulam (Vyttila) : 73 kms, 1:20 hrs

Will post the details of the rest of the trip in the evening.
kala is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 18:53   #5121
BHPian

If this Times of India report is true there could be further delays in the six laning work between Chengapalli and Neelambur

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...erate-transfer

-- Wind
Old 21st May 2013, 19:07   #5122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
If this Times of India report is true there could be further delays in the six laning work between Chengapalli and Neelambur
There is another problem now. The project was earlier sold by IVRCL to Tata Infra. The sale was also approved by the Surface Transport Ministry. Now there is a report that such sale may not get the go ahead from the Finance Ministry. So till that issue gets sorted out, we are going to see more delays
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:11   #5123
Senior - BHPian

Continuing my Kerala trip report :

Cochin-Vadavathoor (About 5 kms east of Kottayam) : Took the standard Poothotta-Kanjiramattom-Thalayolapparambu till Ettumanoor. Excellent road all through, but with fairly heavy traffic. Wanted to avoid the choked roads on the Ettumanoor-Kottayam and Kottayam-Kanjikuzhy stretches, so took the "bypass" via Peroor-Thiruvanchoor to Manarcaud. Good road (slightly uneven surface though) with sparse traffic, much shorter (11 kms instead of 18) and could manage than distance in under 15 minutes. Going via MC road would have certainly taken around 30 to 45 minutes. Highly recommended for anyone travelling to eastern parts of Kottayam (beyond Kanjikuzhy).

Time taken : 1 hr 25 minutes for around 65 kms

Vadavathoor-Calicut : Wanted to experiment with the route via Chamaravattom bridge this time. So the route used was : Vadavathoor-Manarcaud-Kidangoor-Uzhavoor-Koothattukulam-Perumbavoor-Angamaly-Potta(turn off from NH47)-Irinjalakkuda-Moonnupeedika(NH17)-Chavakkad-Ponnani-Chamravattom-Tirur-Tanur-Chettipady-Chelari-Meenchanda mini bypass-Calicut (Chalapuram) : Total around 255 kms, 6 hrs 05 minutes

Vadavathoor-Koothattukulam via Manarcaud-Kidangoor-Uzhavoor : Good alternative to bypass Kottayam,Ettumanoor. Excellent road surface, average traffic, and roads not too curvy like the MC road though slightly narrow at some places. 36 kms took around 45 minutes.

Koothattukulam-Perumbavoor-Angamaly (MC Road)-Potta (NH47) : Excellent road conditions, but curvy roads and quite heavy traffic - 69 kms in 1 hr 35 mins

Potta-Irinjalakkuda-Moonnupeedika : State Highway with good road surface, though narrow after Irinjalakkuda - traffic was average - took 40 minutes to cover the 21 kms with a 10 minutes+ coffee break.

Moonnupeedika-Chavakad-Ponnani (NH17) : Road condition average, traffic dense till Chavakkad, less thereafter :58 kms in 1 hr 10 minutes

Ponnani-Tirur via Chamravattom bridge : Bad road surface (except for the bridge itself which is excellent), unruly traffic and a drizzle to add to the chaos - took around 40 minutes to cover the 20 kms distance.

Tirur-Tanur-Chettippadi-Chelari : Good road surface, but had to take a 6-7 km detour around an overbridge under construction, and fairly heavy traffic - 31 kms took about 45 minutes.

Chelari-Feroke-Meenchanda-Calicut : NH17 road conditions excellent, but heavy to very heavy traffic. The 22 kms took about 30 minutes to cover.

Overall slow progress. I think taking the SH via Trichur-Kunnamkulam might have saved at least half an hour.

Return journey - Calicut-Bangalore via Kalpetta (overnight halt) - Gundlupet-Chamarajanagar-Kanakapura

Calicut-Kalpetta : Excellent roads, fairly heavy traffic. Took around 2 hours for the 72 kms inclusive of a 30 minutes lunch stop at Vythiri

Kalpetta-Karnataka border : Roads in excellent condition all through now

Karnataka Border-Gundlupet : Excellent road, but plenty of speed breakers in the forest stretch some of them unmarked. Also the 3 trenches where speedbreakers were removed remain as is, need to be very careful crossing these since they are quite deep.

Gundlupet-Chamarajanagar : Mostly good except for a few uneven patches here and there.

Chamarajanagar-Bangalore (NH209) : Mostly in excellent conditions all through, but saw some road cuttings in a couple of places (right across the road similar to the ones you see in residential areas in Bangalore where the road is dug up for laying drainage / water connections). Don't recall the exact locations of these, but one needs to be careful because at least one of them is in an area where your speed is likely to be high, so one could get a fair jolt when you cross these.

Total time taken : 4 hrs 20 minutes for the 280 kms from Kalpetta to ISRO Layout, Bangalore.
kala is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:39   #5124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

Cochin-Vadavathoor (About 5 kms east of Kottayam) : Wanted to avoid the choked roads on the Ettumanoor-Kottayam and Kottayam-Kanjikuzhy stretches, so took the "bypass" via Peroor-Thiruvanchoor to Manarcaud. Good road (slightly uneven surface though) with sparse traffic, much shorter (11 kms instead of 18) and could manage than distance in under 15 minutes. Going via MC road would have certainly taken around 30 to 45 minutes. Highly recommended for anyone travelling to eastern parts of Kottayam (beyond Kanjikuzhy).

Vadavathoor-Calicut : Vadavathoor-Koothattukulam via Manarcaud-Kidangoor-Uzhavoor : Good alternative to bypass Kottayam,Ettumanoor. Excellent road surface, average traffic, and roads not too curvy like the MC road though slightly narrow at some places. 36 kms took around 45 minutes.
Good to know you were in Vadavathoor. I live near Manarcad .

I second you, both above routes are most recommended. Less traffic and less distance. Only that one should be a little more concious while driving Kidangoor to Uzhavoor as roads are very good but narrow with curves and up-downhills.
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:34   #5125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Good to know you were in Vadavathoor. I live near Manarcad .
Ah - I'm originally from Vazhoor, but don't go there too often these days (after my parents passed away a few years ago). My sister lives in Vadavathoor. Will msg you when I come there next - can catch up for a quick hello.

Quote:
I second you, both above routes are most recommended. Less traffic and less distance. Only that one should be a little more concious while driving Kidangoor to Uzhavoor as roads are very good but narrow with curves and up-downhills.
My speeds are almost always below 60 - worst case 70- when driving in Kerala because I think the traffic (both vehicular as well as pedestrian) there doesn't generally allow anything more than that. It's at only a very few stretches on the NH and MC road that you can drive somewhat faster, but these days even that is too risky considering the speed checking that goes on everywhere in Kerala.
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:29   #5126
BHPian

Quote:

Calicut-Kalpetta : Excellent roads, fairly heavy traffic. Took around 2 hours for the 72 kms inclusive of a 30 minutes lunch stop at Vythiri
I recently made a trip to Kalpetta with my friends in a Maruti Dzire VDi. I was very impressed with the roads in Wayanad district. I expected it to be somewhat like the roads in Thrissur-Palakkad stretch. Contrary to my expectations, the drive was absolutely fantastic especially the narrow hairpins of Thamarassery. Moreover, as you drive into Wayanad - the roads just get better and better. We drove to Thirunelli temple which is about 67 Kms from Wayanad. This particular road winds through western ghat reserve and the drive was spectacular. It was just like driving on a black carpet laid between the trees(i guess it was tarred recently). We were a little upset at Muthanga as the forest officials didn't let us into the reserve. They said they don't let anyone in during the dry summer as there were chances of forest fire. All in all, Wayanad is a great place to visit.
Old 22nd May 2013, 20:44   #5127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzone799 View Post
I was very impressed with the roads in Wayanad district.
The road from Muthanga to Kalpetta in the same Wayanad district was nothing short of hell a couple of months before. Most of the roads have been relaid recently and unlike earlier, this time they have been done pretty well. In fact not just Wayanad district, even in Kannur district, most of the main roads have been recently relaid and are in pristine condition, eg: Irirrty-Mattannur-Telicherry, Payyannur-Kannur-Telicherry, Kannur-Pazhayangadi-Pilathara-Payyannur, etc. The day time traffic though is unforgiving!

Last edited by sandsun7 : 22nd May 2013 at 20:46.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 01:09   #5128
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Sir. This settles it. Now remains the itinerary and I will get back to you for help as soon as I have the confirmed dates.

Regards
HVK sir, I have the dates confirmed for my Kerala trip. I start on 1st May from Allahabad and have to be in Ganj Basoda (MP) by 13th night.

Now the original plan was to proceed from Delhi (I had some work in Kanpur and Delhi) but now I am thinking of going till Kanpur and then head south from there only instead of proceeding to Delhi which will save me a day in my rather tight schedule. Maybe I will come to Delhi from Ganj Basoda because I will have time then. So if everybody agrees to come down to Kanpur and join me from there then in that case I think I will be forced to take the Kanpur-Chhatarpur-Sagar-Nagpur-Hyderabad-Bangalore-Munnar route. I see that the distance will also be slightly less. Not much inclined on taking this route but I guess under the circumstances and keeping in mind the time in hand, it would be prudent to take this route and avoid the extra distance to Delhi.

On this route how will be the roads? four lane or normal two lane highways? Where would you suggest the night halts?

Regards
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:46   #5129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Kanpur-Chhatarpur-Sagar-Nagpur-Hyderabad-Bangalore-Munnar route.
You should I think do :

Kanpur-Jhansi-Sagar-Nagpur-Hyderabad-Bangalore-Munnar.

I dont know how is it between Sagar to Seoni.
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:03   #5130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Potta-Irinjalakkuda-Moonnupeedika : State Highway with good road surface, though narrow after Irinjalakkuda - traffic was average - took 40 minutes to cover the 21 kms with a 10 minutes+ coffee break.
My parents house is just 1 km from the turn at Potta towards IJK. When did you take this route? I was there last Saturday (18/5). Would love to offer a coffee at my house next time.

This is the first time I am seeing a reference to Potta - Moonnupeedika road in Team BHP. There are plans to widen this road as it connects NH47 and NH17. Road surveys are going in some areas now.

Most Viewed