Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2013, 17:26   #5236
Senior - BHPian

planning to start tomorrow(29-6-2013) early morning(by 3 AM)

Route :- TVM-QLN-ALPY-EKM-TCR

Return :- Sunday 30-6-2013 morning (by 10.AM)

Route :- TCR-EKM-ALPY- Changanassery(AC Road)- join MC Road till TVM

Query :- 1. How is the road current condition with monsoon on ?

2. Whats the condition of AC road , is that risk to take a Tata Indica Vista QJD through the flooded AC road ?

I am taking the AC road to enjoy the view of the flooded backwaters

speed guns/Camera locations from TVM to TCR http://goo.gl/QSRJx

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th June 2013 at 22:16. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 28th June 2013, 18:34   #5237
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
This needs to be a smartphone app with real-time alerts.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:30   #5238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
planning to start tomorrow(29-6-2013) early morning(by 3 AM)

Route :- TVM-QLN-ALPY-EKM-TCR

Return :- Sunday 30-6-2013 morning (by 10.AM)

Route :- TCR-EKM-ALPY- Changanassery(AC Road)- join MC Road till TVM

Query :- 1. How is the road current condition with monsoon on ?

2. Whats the condition of AC road , is that risk to take a Tata Indica Vista QJD through the flooded AC road ?

I am taking the AC road to enjoy the view of the flooded backwaters

The road till Trivandrum - kollam - karunagapilly - Ochira - harippad - Ambalapuzha ROB is good condition even though TVM-Kollam road has some hidden pothe holes which is a threat for night riders.

Ambalapuzha- Aleppy - Chertala is in horrible condition , I was pissed off driving that strech at night , the road condition is getting more worse with each rain

Chertala - Edapally 4 line is not in good condition for speeding, the intermitent pothholes have grown to bigger traps in this monsoon.

Edapally - mannuthy road is in fairly good condition.

On my return i had a change in plan and I skipped the AC road.

My next trip to Thrissur is due on this Friday, any suggestion on taking MC road till Changanachery then the AC road to Aleppy ?
Old 1st July 2013, 11:19   #5239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The road till Trivandrum - kollam - karunagapilly - Ochira - harippad - Ambalapuzha ROB is good condition even though TVM-Kollam road has some hidden pothe holes which is a threat for night riders.

Ambalapuzha- Aleppy - Chertala is in horrible condition , I was pissed off driving that strech at night , the road condition is getting more worse with each rain

Chertala - Edapally 4 line is not in good condition for speeding, the intermitent pothholes have grown to bigger traps in this monsoon.

Edapally - mannuthy road is in fairly good condition.

On my return i had a change in plan and I skipped the AC road.

My next trip to Thrissur is due on this Friday, any suggestion on taking MC road till Changanachery then the AC road to Aleppy ?
AC road has water flowing over the road at many places.i would suggest staying away from Ac Road if its raining.Boats are plying at many places on the road instead of vehicles!
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 12:12   #5240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can try the MC road route that I had described in a post a few pages back. (Bypassing Changanacherry, Kottayam and Etumanoor).

http://goo.gl/maps/HmjmM

Another option worth trying is via Changanacherry-Kottayam-Kumarakom-Thanneermukkam bund- Cherthala. But the Thiruvalla-Changanacherry-Kottayam-Kumarakom stretch can be a pain to traverse because of heavy traffic.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 13:31   #5241
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving to Coimbatore from Kochi on 19th July. Intend going to Ooty on 20th from Coimbatore. Any updates on the roads?

I intend starting from Kochi by afternoon around 2 PM towards Coimbatore. I hope to surpass the border before sundown.

Comments please
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:47   #5242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Driving to Coimbatore from Kochi on 19th July. Intend going to Ooty on 20th from Coimbatore. Any updates on the roads?

I intend starting from Kochi by afternoon around 2 PM towards Coimbatore. I hope to surpass the border before sundown.

Comments please
Kuthiran as usual is living upto its reputation is what I heard from people in Mannuthy.You could go via Pazhayannur-Alathur-Pollachi-Coimbatore if you are ok driving 20 odd extra kms as opposed to the NH47.

If you are ok taking a little battering,then go via shoranur-palakkad-walayar-cbe.To ooty maybe you can go uphill via Mettupalayam and downhill via Kothagiri-that way you can drive via both the roads.
Old 4th July 2013, 10:03   #5243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Kuthiran as usual is living upto its reputation is what I heard from people in Mannuthy.You could go via Pazhayannur-Alathur-Pollachi-Coimbatore if you are ok driving 20 odd extra kms as opposed to the NH47.

If you are ok taking a little battering,then go via shoranur-palakkad-walayar-cbe.To ooty maybe you can go uphill via Mettupalayam and downhill via Kothagiri-that way you can drive via both the roads.
So, the Mannuthy- Alathur stretch is to be avoided anyway. If I am going till shoranur, I will anyway take the road to Alathur than the Palakkad- Walayar route. I do not want to take any battering. I have a small hatch- Figo.

Up hill via Mettupalayam and downhill via Kothagiri is a good suggestion. Will resort to that. Hadn't thought of that option. Hope both routes are in good condition and the recent rains have not played havoc.

Plus, till Mettupalayam isn't it better to go via Annur? Google maps shows route via- narasimhanaickapalayam- karamadai- Mettupalayam

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 4th July 2013 at 10:07. Reason: query about route till Mettupalayam
Old 4th July 2013, 12:14   #5244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Plus, till Mettupalayam isn't it better to go via Annur? Google maps shows route via- narasimhanaickapalayam- karamadai- Mettupalayam
Not sure if it would be worth the extra 15 kms going via Annur. Traffic on the CBE-Annur stretch is also rather heavy, so you may end up taking 15-20 minutes more if you take that route. (This is assuming that the direct route via Karamadai is in good condition. Haven't travelled on that road for a while now, but it was in pretty good shape when I travelled last)
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 12:25   #5245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, the Mannuthy- Alathur stretch is to be avoided anyway. If I am going till shoranur, I will anyway take the road to Alathur than the Palakkad- Walayar route. I do not want to take any battering. I have a small hatch- Figo.

Up hill via Mettupalayam and downhill via Kothagiri is a good suggestion. Will resort to that. Hadn't thought of that option. Hope both routes are in good condition and the recent rains have not played havoc.

Ooty routes are all good,no problems on that front.

Taking Annur,depends on where you are staying in Coimbatore.If you are somehwere near Kaundumpalayam,mettupalayam road etc,then I dont see any great saving in taking the Annur route.If you are somewhere closer to Avinashi road,then Annur is an option.
Old 4th July 2013, 15:10   #5246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Not sure if it would be worth the extra 15 kms going via Annur. Traffic on the CBE-Annur stretch is also rather heavy, so you may end up taking 15-20 minutes more if you take that route.
Quote:
Taking Annur,depends on where you are staying in Coimbatore.If you are somehwere near Kaundumpalayam,mettupalayam road etc,then I dont see any great saving in taking the Annur route.If you are somewhere closer to Avinashi road,then Annur is an option.
I am staying at Red fields. It is near Avinashi Road. Rather, both roads are equally accessible from where I will be staying.
mallumowgli has said that he will revert with the latest on the roads from Cbe to Mettupalayam. Will wait for his report too before taking a call on the choice of route to Mettupalayam.

As of now, I am planning to take the following route:
Kochi- Angamaly- Thrissur- Wadakkanchery- Pazhayannur- Alathur- Kollengode- Pollachi- Kurichi- Coimbatore.

From Coimbatore, if the direct road is bad, I think I will take the road to Annur to Mettupalayam and then go to Ooty.

On the return leg, I am also contemplating returning via Masinagudi- Gudalur- Nilambur. In which case, I intend taking the Kothagiri route after Mettupalayam to Ooty.
Which is a more relaxed and scenic drive? The Kothagiri route or the Coonoor route?
Old 4th July 2013, 15:14   #5247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On the return leg, I am also contemplating returning via Masinagudi- Gudalur- Nilambur. In which case, I intend taking the Kothagiri route after Mettupalayam to Ooty.
Which is a more relaxed and scenic drive? The Kothagiri route or the Coonoor route?
Kothagiri route definitely has lesser traffic as opposed to Coonoor route.

Please check the condition of Nadugani ghats before you take the Gudalur route back.The ghat sections last heard were in a bad state,the road was closed as well as per news reports.
Old 5th July 2013, 07:27   #5248
BHPian

Quote:
Kothagiri route definitely has lesser traffic as opposed to Coonoor route.

Please check the condition of Nadugani ghats before you take the Gudalur route back.
Roads are much better via Kothagiri route. Scenery, I'd say is better on Coonoor route. Roads are not bad, but if you get stuck in a traffic jam, you will be stuck for a while on this route. Also, if you plan to cross Coimbatore between 8am and 8pm except on Sundays, I'd recommend going via L&T Byepass while coming from Walayar, go to Avinasi and just before Avinasi, turn to Annur. Coimbatore - Avinasi is not bad now like it was 2-3 months ago for traffic jams. Avinasi to Mettupalayam road is superb. It will be several kilometers longer than through Coimbatore, but you can avoid confusion in the city.

Anyways, Coimbatore to Mettupalayam via Karamadai is also in decent condition, but till just before Karamadai, traffic is quite high.

Coming back via Gudalur - you don't need to go to Masinagudi. Ooty to Gudalur road has couple of bad stretches. Theppakkadu - Gudalur has some 6-7 (you can avoid it if you avoid Masinagudi). Nadukani, 3 months ago had many broken sections especially at corners.

Nadukani -> Nilambur -> Wandoor -> Perinthalmanna -> Pattambi is like usual Kerala roads. Not bad, but many small towns in between.
vsbabu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 08:36   #5249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
Also, if you plan to cross Coimbatore between 8am and 8pm except on Sundays, I'd recommend going via L&T Byepass while coming from Walayar, go to Avinasi and just before Avinasi, turn to Annur. Coimbatore - Avinasi is not bad now like it was 2-3 months ago for traffic jams. Avinasi to Mettupalayam road is superb. It will be several kilometers longer than through Coimbatore, but you can avoid confusion in the city.
You don't need to go till Avinashi, can take a left turn at Karumathampatti (about 10 kms after you exit the L&T byepass at Neelambur) to go to Annur. The road from there to Annur is also in excellent condition, and has very little traffic.
Old 5th July 2013, 09:10   #5250
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Second Kala on that, the road was great when I travelled last November. From NH there is a deviation to left for Suzlon SEZ that is the road which you have to take.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks