Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2013, 11:44   #5266
BHPian

Bangalore - Koothattukulam travel with elderly folks

I live in Bangalore. In early August, I will be taking my parents to an Ayurvedic hospital in Koothattukulam (which is on Hwy 1 bween Muvattupuzha and Kottayam). What means would you suggest?

I was considering self-driving my own SX4 but then saw reports on this forum of bad roads on Hwy-47, generally curvy Hwy 1 (is this also called MC Rd or Main Central Rd, can someone confirm?), heavier than usual rains this time in Kerala so generally worse roads, etc. Then, considering that I am totally unfamiliar with those parts of India, I changed my mind and am now thinking maybe we'll go by train till Thrissur, and then take a bus or taxi from Thrissur to Koothattukulam. (Dad is old and cant see, so if going by train, need a long halt time at alighting station; anything less than 3 mins halt is ruled out; hence was considering Thrissur or Kochi, and not something even nearer to final destination)

Objective (in no particular order):
- Least risk
- Least discomfort
- Least journey time
- Least cost

Pls advise.

Thanks,
Venkat
Old 8th July 2013, 12:04   #5267
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Koothattukulam travel with elderly folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I live in Bangalore. In early August, I will be taking my parents to an Ayurvedic hospital in Koothattukulam (which is on Hwy 1 bween Muvattupuzha and Kottayam). What means would you suggest?
MC Road is indeed Kerala state highway (SH) 1. It starts at Angamaly at the junction with NH 47, and goes all the way till Thiruvanthapuram. Sreedhariyam at Koothatukulam is on this road (my dad has spent considerable time here, getting treatment for advanced glaucoma). I would suggest you take the train (or fly) to Ernakulam and then hire a cab to Koothatukulam. Thrissur is too far.

Last edited by binand : 8th July 2013 at 12:09.
Old 8th July 2013, 12:12   #5268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I live in Bangalore. In early August...
The Hwy-1 that you mentioned is the State Highway-1 (SH-1), also called Main Central (MC) Road.

Since you seem to be favouring comfort and economy, I would suggest taking the train from Bangalore (SBC) to Aluva (AWY) or Ernakulam (ERN), and then hire a taxi to go to Koothattukulam. This last leg of the journey will be mostly through MC Road, which has got a very good surface. Train journey is the most comfortable for a senior citizen, IMO.

Last edited by silversteed : 8th July 2013 at 12:13.
Old 8th July 2013, 22:51   #5269
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

How are the non-KL vehicles fined when caught by speed camera's for over speeding?
Twiny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 03:05   #5270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Objective (in no particular order):
- Least risk
- Least discomfort
- Least journey time
- Least cost

Pls advise.

Thanks,
Venkat
These are towns lying around 50kms from Ernakulam city. Thrissur is around 100kms from the destination!

you can get down at AWY(Aluva) railway station and hire a taxi to Kizhakompu,Kuthattukulam via Perumbavur,Muvattupuzha. the road condition is good as it mostly passes through MC road. Sreedhareeyam is around 55kms from Aluva railway station. this may a good option. the other option is to hire a taxi from Ernakulam South railway station to Kuthattukulam. the highway from Thrippunithura to Piravom are dug up for laying pipes for some drinking water project for western Kochi. getting down at Aluva is better.

better option:
there are Volvo A/C Buses operating between Bangalore and Kottaayam passing through this route and you can get down at Kuthattukulam. you can consider this option also.
Old 9th July 2013, 05:26   #5271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
How are the non-KL vehicles fined when caught by speed camera's for over speeding?
If you are stopped by the interceptor vehicle then its on the spot challan.and now there are so many interceptor and highway patrol vehicles that if speeding you are bound to be stopped by one of those invariably.No intimation letters to home etc afaik
Old 9th July 2013, 07:30   #5272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it is the interceptor you are fined, if it is the regular camera on a pole, you are good. I am yet to hear about an outside state registered car to be fined for over speeding.
Old 9th July 2013, 07:43   #5273
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
The expansion of NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur is still going on? Last December when I travelled home, I had to take the Shornur route to avoid the bad roads and of course, the Limited Stops!
For Bangalore-Thrissur, suggest you take Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Wadakanchery-Thrissur.
With this route you can avoid:
1.stretch between Avinashi-Coimbatore where the widening work is still in progress and there are quite a few diversions.
2.Madukkarai (end of L&T Bypass) to Walayar where the road work is incomplete.
3.Alathur-Kuthiran where roads are not very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
better option:
there are Volvo A/C Buses operating between Bangalore and Kottaayam passing through this route and you can get down at Kuthattukulam. you can consider this option also.
Yes, Kallada is a good option, travelled recently to Kottayam and it was comfortable.

Last edited by NPV : 9th July 2013 at 08:03.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 08:24   #5274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For Bangalore-Thrissur, suggest you take Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Wadakanchery-Thrissur.
With this route you can avoid:
1.stretch between Avinashi-Coimbatore where the widening work is still in progress and there are quite a few diversions.
2.Madukkarai (end of L&T Bypass) to Walayar where the road work is incomplete.
3.Alathur-Kuthiran where roads are not very good.
I did Kodungallur (Thrissur) - Bangalore last weekend. IMO, except the stretch from Walayar to Madukkarai, there are no problems elsewhere. Neelambur to Avinashi Bypass - there aren't any diversions - one side of the 4-lane alignment is opened for traffic all the way - all the ROBs are open as well. The only headache is Perumanallur - that IMHO is better than driving from Perundurai to Alathur in a 2-lane road. We started at 6.15 AM from Kodungallur and reached Bangalore (Bannerghatta Road) at 3.30pm, including three breaks for food/refreshments and one for fuel. The route taken was Kodungallur-Thrissur Round-Shoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Coimbatore bypass-Avinashi Bypass-Salem-Hosur-E.City-Bommanahalli-Begur Road-Home (in Arakere).
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 08:46   #5275
BHPian

Quote:
If caught by interceptor you'll be fined on the spot. There are several of these vehicles between Mannuthy and Aluva (and also on the Trichur - Palkkad route via Shoranur). I was stopped once doing 81 (limit is 70) and was told by cops that they'll fine if you touch 80 or more.
Mnjdnght is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 09:31   #5276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
No intimation letters to home etc afaik
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I am yet to hear about an outside state registered car to be fined for over speeding.
Even I was thinking the same since it is the same in every state I guess. However couple of weeks back came to know that a friend of mine who has a TN (Madurai) registered car got a court notice for violation of traffic signal near Cochin through post to his TN address.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:47   #5277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
If it is the interceptor you are fined, if it is the regular camera on a pole, you are good. I am yet to hear about an outside state registered car to be fined for over speeding.
Well I was fined by "the interceptor" just after Walayar a few months back (KA registered). I was doing 79 and the traffic inspector regretingly informing that speed limit is 70, and he has strict instruction to fine all vehicles doing above 75. The best part , he indicated locations where interceptors could be expected till Trichur.

Last edited by JoeMichael : 9th July 2013 at 10:48.
Old 9th July 2013, 13:41   #5278
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Bangalore (near ITPL) to Kanjikode (near Palakkad) on July 5th and back on July 7th. Took the NH 7 - NH 47 route both ways. Started at 5:10 AM on July 5th and reached Kanjikode at 11:35 AM with a break of 35 mins for break fast. Road from end of Coimbatore bypass to Kanjikode is not good. No deep potholes but the surface is really bad. Started from Kanjikode at 10:15 AM on July 7th and reached home at 5:05 PM with total breaks of 40 mins for food and fuel.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 14:08   #5279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At least here in Bangalore, the system "remembers" you. So the next time you are stopped by a Blackberry-toting traffic policeman, he will have access to all your past shenanigans within BTP limits at the touch of a finger. You can query the system at btis.in/fines.

I expect the Kerala cops will get a similar system soon enough.
Old 9th July 2013, 18:25   #5280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Starting for Calicut from Bangalore in another hour or so - family emergency. Taking Kanakapura-Chamarajanagar route. Saw in the Mathrubhumi that NH212 is in bad shape between Sulthan Bathery and Kalpetta - anyone with first-hand experience? Plan to start at around 10 and reach before 5.
Did you do this trip ? What was the condition of the stretch that you were worried about ?

Most Viewed