Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2013, 19:36   #5416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Someone ought to sue someone. From what I understand, NHAI will not support patchwork - they want standard NHDP-level work done (this stretch is part of the north-south corridor). GoK is unable to acquire land for full 4-laning work so wants only repairs. Natheeja? Peet ka dard. :-(
Obituary time for this road.I remember the NTPs and KK Menons flying on this road ouat.
Old 4th August 2013, 08:59   #5417

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I have got slightly confused though as I am left with 2 options -
1. Leave Bangalore at ~6pm and reach Salem, check in overnight somewhere and proceed in the morning as per Ranjit's kind detailing of the route so as to reach Alleppey by lunch time
2. Leave Bangalore in the evening, check in overnight at Mysore and then go the Gundlupet-Gudallur-Nilambur (mind the night traffic ban) Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Chavakkad NH17
Again reach Alleppey by lunch time

Which one would be the most approporiate?
Old 4th August 2013, 19:20   #5418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhnag View Post
Thanks to all of you for your responses. I have got slightly confused though as I am left with 2 options -
1. Leave Bangalore at ~6pm and reach Salem, check in overnight somewhere and proceed in the morning as per Ranjit's kind detailing of the route so as to reach Alleppey by lunch time
2. Leave Bangalore in the evening, check in overnight at Mysore and then go the Gundlupet-Gudallur-Nilambur (mind the night traffic ban) Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Chavakkad NH17
Again reach Alleppey by lunch time

if you are going via salem you can stay at park plaza or grand estancia both are on the nh7 itself-pricey as well.the other option is to push till sankari toll gate on nh47(approx 45kms? From salem) and stay the sree saravana bhavan which is a budget option.next morning you can leave after breakfast and reach alleppey for lunch.

If driving via mysore then mysore is the best option for stay.road conditions are more or less the same on both routes.drive times should be the same as well.so choose whichever is more comfortable.i wouldnt suggest driving nh17 daytime as its going to take a long time to cover distance with daytime local traffic and narrow roads.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 20:53   #5419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhnag View Post

If you are driving at night, I would vote for the the four lane. Another place at Salem in Cenneys.

http://www.hotelcenneys.com/
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 09:26   #5420
Senior - BHPian

Munnar udumulpet road closed

Flooding at vandiperiyar on the kollam theni road

Malakkapara athirappilly road from valparai also closed due to landslides and heavy rains.Please exercise caution driving the high ranges in kerala
Old 5th August 2013, 11:29   #5421

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Munnar udumulpet road closed

Flooding at vandiperiyar on the kollam theni road

Malakkapara athirappilly road from valparai also closed due to landslides and heavy rains.Please exercise caution driving the high ranges in kerala
Valparai-malakapara-athirapally road is open. I travelled via that route just less than 24 hours from now and only a few minor events nothing to the extent of road blocks. Will post a detailed travelogue in a day or two.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:55   #5422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedia2013 View Post
Valparai-malakapara-athirapally road is open. I travelled via that route just less than 24 hours from now and only a few minor events nothing to the extent of road blocks. Will post a detailed travelogue in a day or two.
Thanks.Heard that this road is flooded today morning at Pillappara between Malakkapara and Athirappilly.I cant confirm this though.
Old 5th August 2013, 12:49   #5423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanks.Heard that this road is flooded today morning at Pillappara between Malakkapara and Athirappilly.I cant confirm this though.
Several roads into Kerala from TN are flooded or damaged by landslides or both. Kochi airport has ceased functioning. I hope the ingress points through Wayanad district are still fine - I am scheduled to visit Calicut later this week (Friday AM start from Bangalore). Met folks predict heavy rains till 8/8.
Old 5th August 2013, 12:59   #5424
Senior - BHPian

Kochi Airport operations closed.

There are multiple landslides on the Kochi-Munnar highway between Admimali and Kothamangalam.Cars have falled into the valley and people have been killed and there is soil and debris all over the place if news reports and visuals are to be believed.

I wouldnt suggest driving into any of the hill stations in kerala this monsoon.Govt of Kerala is advising tourists to stay away from popular spots due to heavy rains

http://english.manoramaonline.com/cg...ramId=11565535
Old 5th August 2013, 14:34   #5425
Senior - BHPian

Anybody did Dindigul - Theni - Kumily - Mundakkayam very recently? I need to know the status to estimate the travel time to Velankanni.
Old 5th August 2013, 14:49   #5426
Senior - BHPian

Caution!

Travelling to Idukki hill area in particular has been cautioned by the Govt. of Kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Anybody did Dindigul - Theni - Kumily - Mundakkayam very recently? I need to know the status to estimate the travel time to Velankanni.
Just before the rains, these were my observation on my travel to Vellore.

Quote:
Started from Kottayam by 10 am and reached Kumily by 1pm! I was worried if I could even reach Dindigul by night, but once I reached Dindigul by 5pm, hit the real highways and continued till Krishnagiri. Now only I realize that driving in Kerala is so stressful with narrow roads, ghats and morons jumping from nowhere.

Roads are a bit potholed around Theni and there too SUV's can easily glide over.

Any updates on the stretch between Vathalakkundu and Dindigul?: Driving in a hatchback, I had issues with the abrupt beginning of stretches of new layer of tar, along the route. Your suspension takes a hard hit at such places.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 15:01   #5427
Senior - BHPian

Re: Caution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Travelling to Idukki hill area in particular has been cautioned by the Govt. of Kerala.

Just before the rains, these were my observation on my travel to Vellore.
Thanks Thoma.

As of today, nothing bad about Kumily route except for potholes in Vandiperiyar - Kumily stretch. Luckily my relative operates bus service in Kottayam - Kattappana route who can help me with updates. I shall check again on Thursday before proceeding.

TN part is where I would need latest updates. One of my friend is driving today to Bangalore on Vento, expecting some feedbacks post his journey.

Last edited by jacs : 5th August 2013 at 15:03.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 15:16   #5428
BHPian

Did a kottayam-angamali via muvattupuzha yesterday.The way leading to,at and away from koothatukulam is the worst roads that I've come through in my experience.I have driven (ridden?) the 'kuthiran' literally a hundred times,but never was it as depressing as this road.Thank God,I had the optra.Have to blame the incessant rains for this.
Old 5th August 2013, 16:10   #5429
Senior - BHPian

Guys a group is planning to drive down to Wayanad this weekend. One set from Chennai, and another from cochin. What is the status in Wayanad/ on the way?

Am in chennai these days, so kinda out of touch with the scene in KL...
Old 5th August 2013, 16:33   #5430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Guys a group is planning to drive down to Wayanad this weekend. One set from Chennai, and another from cochin. What is the status in Wayanad/ on the way?

Am in chennai these days, so kinda out of touch with the scene in KL...
No major problems on the roads to wayanad.

OT:Kochi airport is closed for operations till 06-Aug-13 due to heavy rains and waterlogging.Heavy rain conditions are predicted to stay till 08-Aug-13.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks