Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2013, 20:48   #5446
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Any information on the condition of Mysore - Gundulpet - Muthanga - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta road to Wayanad? Please share if you have the information.
Old 6th August 2013, 21:41   #5447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Any information on the condition of Mysore - Gundulpet - Muthanga - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta road
The last time I travelled was before rains and then roads were good. You can get better idea on this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-query-17.html
Old 7th August 2013, 08:27   #5448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The last time I travelled was before rains and then roads were good.
They were good in early July too. But since then, a lot of water had flowed down the Periyar. I have to go to Calicut again this coming weekend (8th or 9th) and would like an up-to-date update. Should I drive or spend $$$ on an air ticket?
Old 7th August 2013, 09:19   #5449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

They were good in early July too. But since then, a lot of water had flowed down the Periyar. I have to go to Calicut again this coming weekend (8th or 9th) and would like an up-to-date update. Should I drive or spend $$$ on an air ticket?
Mysore batheri kozhikode hasnt been affected greatly.you are good to drive
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 10:54   #5450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Any information on the condition of Mysore - Gundulpet - Muthanga - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta road to Wayanad? Please share if you have the information.
The roads are good all the way. Be careful after crossing Bathery, there are some occasional potholes. Be careful at the Bandipur forest section as there are some unmarked speed breakers and cuts. The speed breakers between Nanjangun and Gundlupet are too high and you should be careful if you are in a low GC car.
Old 7th August 2013, 12:24   #5451
BHPian

Roads in palai,kottayam

Am travelling to ramapuram near palai in kottayam on friday ,saw from the tv news that the roads near palai are water logged,can anyone from there confirm this?also is there any route which is clear for me to do the trip.Any help highly appreciated.
Old 7th August 2013, 12:30   #5452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
udumulpet-munnar road is closed afaik due to a landslide at nyamakadu- marayoor.there is an update in this thread or in the munnar thread.No news if its open now or not.
Got an update from a person in Marayur. The road between Udumalpet to Munnar is blocked after Marayur. Due to heavy rains, there were landslides at many places. There was a news article on a Tamil daily to avoid travel to Munnar.

Even Udumalpet to Kandhalur/Kanthalloor route is also facing the same problem.

Last edited by MadRash : 7th August 2013 at 12:33.
Old 7th August 2013, 14:05   #5453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
Hi Jacs

Thanks for the useful update.
Is the Kuttikanam-Kumily strech on the KK road not motorable now, that your friend used the detour route to Cumbam?
I am driving on this strech tommorow, your update on this will help.

Hi pkumar,

Nothing much to worry about Kuttikkanam - Kumily as updated earlier. Expect few rough stretches but very much motorable. My friend had to stay a night with his relatives in Kattappana else he would have taken Kumily route only.
Old 7th August 2013, 16:16   #5454
BHPian

Re: Roads in palai,kottayam

Water has receded from almost all the roads in and around Pala and is further receding. Transportation is normal since yesterday afternoon.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 16:45   #5455
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats the latest status of Ernakulam- Alleppey- Kollam- Trivandrum?

Intend driving to Kollam this weekend and then further to trivandrum.
Old 7th August 2013, 21:24   #5456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post

ernakulam - alleppey : The four lane till cherthala has a few bad spots, these bad spots are tire / rim killers. From cherthala till about 5kms until you reach the alleppey first bridge the roads are ok with a bit of bad stretches. From 5kms before the first bridge until you cross the town, the road are non existent a lot of roads are closed and diversions all over the place expect to loose a lot of time.

Allepey - kollam : Until you reach the ambalapuzha ROB you will have lot of potholes. From ambalapuzha the roads get better till you enter kollam district. The roads are good in kollam. you can make good progress in this stretch. Once you hit the kollam town, depending on the time of the day, you will be stuck in the traffic to cross the iron bridge. At peak traffic times expect to loose a good 30 minutes here. If you know the kollam bypass via the ksrtc stand take that route to have a smoother drive with lesser traffic.

Kollam - trivandrum : roads do not have much potholes and they are ok. Expect good traffic at attingal. loose 15 minutes in traffic jam here. From attingal it is ok till kaniyapuram. From kaniyapuram onwards expect hell in terms of road and traffic till your destination.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 21:30   #5457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post

Potholed and rough as can be expected.a friend did the stretch in 4hrs.A little before Ambalapuzha to a little after alapuzha there is hardly any road is what he said.Cherthala potholed.Kollam-tvm rough.

an alternate and no/LESS potholed routes would be:

http://goo.gl/maps/8QMNs and http://goo.gl/maps/7vVMG
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 22:16   #5458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I am planning a drive this weekend to 4 temples in Kerala.,,,,
I was able to visit Thriprayar, Vanjikalam(Kodungallur) and Irinjalakuda(Koodal Manikyam).

The route is as what Ranjitp1 gave: Kollengode-Alathur-Chelakkara-Wadakkencherry- Thrissur- Thriprayar.

Road condition excellent(by KL standards).

Then proceeded down the NH17 and reached Kodungallur, and then took the Thrissur road to get to Irinjalakuda.

From there, went eastward to join NH47(sarcasm intended), because my folks were eager to travel through Kuthiran. I could make it from Mannuthy to Vadakkencherry in about 1 hour, although

1) I scraped the sump guard once, in a deep pothole(the vehicle is a Tavera)
2) Narrow miss with a Verna, which was overtaking a truck in a blind corner.
3) Missed to avoid a big pothole, took it at good speeds. Might need to do wheel alignment.

It hadn't rained much, and the pothole was not filled with water, so it was easy to gauge the depth, otherwise it would have taken more time.

The mileage recorded was 16.66 kmpl, not bad for KL traffic and the broken Kuthiran road, no AC used.

PS1: Ranjithp1, SNR was not open in the morning, so had to content myself with the chips at the usual shop at Vadakkenchery.

PS2: From Thrissur, i prodeeded towards joining NH17, but even before that i saw a board indicating a left to Thriprayar. I proceeded in that direction and witnessed this:
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-image0014.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-image0015.jpg  

ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 10:12   #5459
BHPian

Friends, I am travelling from Guruvayoor (Kerala) to Bangalore next week. I heard that NH47 between Thrissur and Palakkad is in deplorable state. I have planned to take the following route as this has better roads:
Guruvayoor(KL) --> Shoranur(KL) --> Chelakara(KL) --> Nenmara(KL) --> Pollachi(TN) --> Palladum(TN) --> Tirupur (TN) --> Salem (TN) --> Dharmapuri (TN) --> Bangalore (KA)

This has an overall distance of around 520 Km. I came to know that the second better option is the Nilambur --> Gudlur --> Bandipur --> Mysore --> BLR route(which is around 390 Km).
Please let me know which is the best option ? Please suggest if there are any better options.
Old 8th August 2013, 10:14   #5460
Senior - BHPian

Travelled Kochi - Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha - Moolamattom yesterday. All good roads and no water logging issues as hyped by news. Its still raining in Idukki district and inner roads are blocked due to small landslides in many places. Erattupetta - Vagamon area is to be alert still.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks