Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2013, 23:00   #5581
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

travelled to Changanassery today evening. MC road is absolutely horrible atleast till Kuthattukulam. return journey took almost 3 hours!

low ground clearance vehicles must avoid the Muvattupuzha-Kuthattukulam MC road section. the road almost not exist with huge potholes and "mud pyramids"(like bumps) around 5-6kms north of Kuthattukulam. the alternate highway through Muvattupuzha-Arakkuzha-Palakkuzha-Kuthattukulam also in very bad condition.

From Kuthattukulam, I took left Mangalathuthazham-Uzhavoor-Kidangur-Puthupally route . that route was fine albeit with some potholes.

what alternate route exists if not MC road from Muvattupuzha: Piravom-Peruva-Kaduthuruthi-Ettumanur-Kottayam. this route may be also in a mess but perhaps not as bad as MC road.
Old 25th August 2013, 14:08   #5582
BHPian

Came back from Allapuzha yesterday. While going I took the Perundurai - Kangayam - Palladam - Pollachi - Kollengode - Alathur - Pazhayannur - Thrissur - Ernakulam road. The entire stretch is very good but it is around 50KM more than the regular NH route. Started by 7am from Bangalore and reached Ernakulam by 8pm with lots of breaks in between. Road condition was very good, and a big thanks to all fellow BHPians for suggesting this road..!

The return was via Ankamali - Ezhattumugham - Athirappilli - Vazhachal - Malakkappara - Rottikkadai - Pollachi - Tirupur - Salem route. The nature was amazing, rains, mists, mountains, dams etc..!! We stopped each and every places to enjoy the nature, and finally reached BLR after 18hours..!!!! It was a blunder to take the Tirupur route, google map misguided us to a broken road, but finally managed to get on to the right track afterwards. There was too much traffic at Tirupur around 8pm on Saturday.!

The Vazhachal - Valparai road was very good untill few (5-7km) before Malakkappara checkpost. There were surveys going on for relaying the road on the bad stretch. Through it is rough, can be managed in any type of cars, but be careful that road is narrow at many places

Few of the snaps taken on the way.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-img_3961.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-img_4612.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-img_4673.jpg  

RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 20:35   #5583
BHPian

THRISSUR TO PALAKKAD

Last week, I have traveled from Thrissur to Palakkad (and back) in an Alto with my family. We took the Vadakkancheri - Chelakkara - Pazhayannur - Alathur route.

Roads were busy at places. Otherwise we could maintain a constant speed of about 50KMH.

The conditions of the roads are good except few rough patches here and there. It is around 20KM more than the highway route.

A 2 hour drive. Overall, we had a nice drive.

I am attaching a video & a few pictures.

All Roads to Kerala-2013_0823_121532aa.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-2013_0823_121556aa.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-2013_0823_121703aa.jpg
Old 27th August 2013, 22:17   #5584
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
The return was via Ankamali - Ezhattumugham - Athirappilli - Vazhachal - Malakkappara - Rottikkadai - Pollachi - Tirupur - Salem route. The nature was amazing, rains, mists, mountains, dams etc..!! We stopped each and every places to enjoy the nature, and finally reached BLR after 18hours..!!!! It was a blunder to take the Tirupur route, google map misguided us to a broken road, but finally managed to get on to the right track afterwards. There was too much traffic at Tirupur around 8pm on Saturday.!
You should have taken the same route back. Aliyar-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem.
Works very well as you yourself experienced it while going to Kerala.
Old 27th August 2013, 23:42   #5585
Senior - BHPian

Update from today:

From vytilla towards cherthala on the four lane most of the potholes remains the same. From cherthala the road has improved, most of the potholes have been closed till alleppey. Few of the craters do remain in the same state. The road is extremely uneven and bumpy due to this patch work, but situation has improved from what it used to be. The road from kollam towards trivandrum is good.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 09:54   #5586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You should have taken the same route back. Aliyar-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem.
Yes now I regret. At Palladam, we asked one autodriver for shortest route to the Salem Highway, and he only suggested via Tiruppur route. I was in the impression that there will be less traffic in Tiruppur at 8pm on Saturday.!! Anyway, learned a lesson now..!!

Palladam - Kangeyam stretch is like a desert, and there are few intercross, and roadhumps too.
Old 30th August 2013, 00:09   #5587

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
THRISSUR TO PALAKKAD

Last week, I have traveled from Thrissur to Palakkad (and back) in an Alto with my family. We took the Vadakkancheri - Chelakkara - Pazhayannur - Alathur route.

Roads were busy at places. Otherwise we could maintain a constant speed of about 50KMH.

The conditions of the roads are good except few rough patches here and there. It is around 20KM more than the highway route.

A 2 hour drive. Overall, we had a nice drive.
Dear Bhpian,

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Guruvayoor on 22nd of next month and i would like to have information about the present condition of Avinashi-Walayar stretch which had road widening in progress since last year itself. I like to know if the work is partially complete? and also if the diversions are still there every 500 mtrs?? as you will be aware of the present situation.

Secondly I was told the route via Ottapalam-Shornur-Kunnankulam ( its called Palakkad- Ponnani Road) is best to drive as there are no potholes. Last time i ended up going by some other route and ended with an aching body as road was hardly visible and it was only craters all the way. I guess it was Chellakara- Mannuthy. I am familiar till Hotel Vazhiyora Ootupara and like to have some landmarks and approx distance with reference to Ootupara where i have to turn.
Old 30th August 2013, 06:25   #5588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonz1 View Post
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Guruvayoor on 22nd of next month and i would like to have information about the present condition of Avinashi-Walayar stretch which had road widening in progress since last year itself. I like to know if the work is partially complete? and also if the diversions are still there every 500 mtrs?? as you will be aware of the present situation.

Secondly I was told the route via Ottapalam-Shornur-Kunnankulam ( its called Palakkad- Ponnani Road) is best to drive as there are no potholes. Last time i ended up going by some other route and ended with an aching body as road was hardly visible and it was only craters all the way. I guess it was Chellakara- Mannuthy. I am familiar till Hotel Vazhiyora Ootupara and like to have some landmarks and approx distance with reference to Ootupara where i have to turn.
Avinashi CBE is manageable but post that its all bad till palakkad.The Palladam route that has been extensively discussed in here and opted for by many is the best.NH7 till Perundurai.From there to Kangayam-Palladam-Pollachi-Meenkarai-Kollengode-Pallassana-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Ottupara-Wadakancheri-Kecheri-Choondal-Guruvayur.Thr palakkad ottapalam shoranur road is good however due to the heavily potholed NH47 this route is heavily trafficked.Plot these names on googlemaps and you will get your route or else if you do a search in the forum you would get the map which I havr posted at various different instances

Perundurai to Wadakancheri would take you 4.5hrs under normal driving speed
Old 30th August 2013, 12:21   #5589
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Avinashi CBE is manageable but post that its all bad till palakkad.The Palladam route that has been extensively discussed in here and opted for by many is the best.NH7 till Perundurai.From there to Kangayam-Palladam-Pollachi-Meenkarai-Kollengode-Pallassana-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Ottupara-Wadakancheri-Kecheri-Choondal-Guruvayur.Thr.Perundurai to Wadakancheri would take you 4.5hrs under normal driving speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Yes now I regret. At Palladam, we asked one autodriver for shortest route to the Salem Highway, and he only suggested via Tiruppur route. I was in the impression that there will be less traffic in Tiruppur at 8pm on Saturday.!! Anyway, learned a lesson now..!!
Palladam - Kangeyam stretch is like a desert, and there are few intercross, and roadhumps too.
Palladam - Kangeyam is SH67 (Gudalur - Nagapattinam).
Yes it is deserted apart from one intersection (S intersection at Avinashipalayam) at Dharapuram-Tirupur SH and pass through Pongalur - a small town.
But if one can reach palladam from Pollachi they can just cross the intersection (Straight North) to reach Avanashi (just 14 kms & road is good) which is at NH47 (Salem Highway) instead of taking right to reach Tirupur or Kangeyam. In Tirupur one need to cross the town to reach NH47 at Perumanallur.

I always prefer to take Karur - Trichy (via Kulithalai - Musiri - Trichy Toll gate) - Ulundurpet - Chennai if I touch Kangeyam. This route is better than Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem-Attur-Ulundurpet-Chennai as there is no major town except a few kms inside Kulithalai. The road is end to end good and need to take right on the Karur-Dindigul highway and take left to take the new Trichy highway.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-pdmavn.jpg  

RGK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 12:28   #5590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Bhpian,

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Guruvayoor on 22nd of next month
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
But if one can reach palladam from Pollachi they can just cross the intersection (Straight North) to reach Avanashi (just 14 kms & road is good) which is at NH47 (Salem Highway) instead of taking right to reach Tirupur or Kangeyam. In Tirupur one need to cross the town to reach NH47 at Perumanallur.
Yes true,now that the Avinashi bypass is open for traffic on NH47,Palladam-Avinashi might be a good option as it lets you drive the 4laners for more distance.

The turnoff to the Palladam road while coming from Salem,is approxing 93kms from the Saravana bhavan at Vaikuntam Toll gate at Sankari on NH47

http://goo.gl/maps/MaJZs

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 30th August 2013 at 12:31.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 14:57   #5591

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes true,now that the Avinashi bypass is open for traffic on NH47,Palladam-Avinashi might be a good option as it lets you drive the 4laners for more distance.

The turnoff to the Palladam road while coming from Salem,is approxing 93kms from the Saravana bhavan at Vaikuntam Toll gate at Sankari on NH47

http://goo.gl/maps/MaJZs
Yes Ranjith, I am familiar with Sree Saravana Bhavan near Vaikuntam and infact Hotel Anna Lakshmi is exactly at 48 kms from this point. But I hope the road to Palladam is supported with sign boards at intersections to avoid missing out a crucial turn?? and also in case of Palakkad-Ponnani road,whether its supported with sign boards? the only drawback i find in Kerala region is that lack of sign boards with arrow marks to guide to make it user friendly for travellers. so its mental stress besides physical (thanks to those craters). And to avoid office traffic i have chosen a Sunday for the journey, and i hope the traffic will be bearable on Palakkad-Ponnani road, where as per Google i need to turn left on to Kodungallur-Shornur road at SMP junction and which would lead me till Chavakkad. I don't mind cruising at 50 kmph rather than taking a potholed road.
Old 30th August 2013, 15:27   #5592
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Karur - Trichy (via Kulithalai - Musiri - Trichy Toll gate) - Ulundurpet - Chennai if I touch Kangeyam. This route is better than Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem-Attur-Ulundurpet-Chennai as there is no major town except a few kms inside Kulithalai. The road is end to end good and need to take right on the Karur-Dindigul highway and take left to take the new Trichy highway.
Definitely makes sense to head directly to Avinashi. Just that should one not get lost and end up in Tiruppur. That would mean losing quite some time.
Also I think thats the famed NH67 and not SH 67. Bandipur-Gudalur-Ooty-Mettupalayam-CBE-Sulur-Palladam-Kangeyam-Karur-Truchy-Tanjore-Nagapatnam
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 16:02   #5593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Ranjith, I am familiar with Sree Saravana Bhavan near Vaikuntam and infact Hotel Anna Lakshmi is exactly at 48 kms from this point. But I hope the road to Palladam is supported with sign boards at intersections to avoid missing out a crucial turn?? and also in case of Palakkad-Ponnani road,whether its supported with sign boards? the only drawback i find in Kerala region is that lack of sign boards with arrow marks to guide to make it user friendly for travellers. so its mental stress besides physical (thanks to those craters). And to avoid office traffic i have chosen a Sunday for the journey, and i hope the traffic will be bearable on Palakkad-Ponnani road, where as per Google i need to turn left on to Kodungallur-Shornur road at SMP junction and which would lead me till Chavakkad. I don't mind cruising at 50 kmph rather than taking a potholed road.
I would be able to comment or assist you further only if you let me know which road you intend to take,your post is confusing for me.

If you are intending on taking the nh47 route,keep on the road till Chandranagar Junction,at which point left would go to Thrissur as the NH47 and straight would take you to Palakkad town.Keep straight and go into the town and exit onto the Ottapalam road,its a relatively straight road through the town.Keep on the road till Kulappully Junction (you would see Samudra Regency to your left followed by the junction).At the junction take a left and follow the road till Vazhacode Junction.At Vazhacode,take a right,left would take you to Chelakara-Pazhayannur-Alathur.Following this you would cross Uthralikavu Temple followed by Ottupara Y fork.The right fork goes to Kunnamkulam,while the straightish left goes to Wadakancheri-Thrissur.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 17:27   #5594
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also I think thats the famed NH67 and not SH 67. Bandipur-Gudalur-Ooty-Mettupalayam-CBE-Sulur-Palladam-Kangeyam-Karur-Truchy-Tanjore-Nagapatnam
Yes it is the famed NH67. Thanks for the correction. The Sulur-Mettupalayam, Tanjore-Nagai four laning is still not even started and NHAI has opted to withdraw the expansion due to poor support from the state government

As Ranjit says It is always prefered to drive the max distance in the 4 lanes as much as possible.

Always better to avoid Tiruppur even during odd hours as one cannot predict the traffic inside the busy town.

Last edited by RGK : 30th August 2013 at 17:30.
Old 30th August 2013, 18:00   #5595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Sulur-Mettupalayam four laning is still not even started and NHAI has opted to withdraw the expansion due to poor support from the state government
OT: the Sulur-MTP work delay is due to the bypass mess. Everything was finalized, routes marked, but then nothing is happening. Hope it doesn't go back to the drawing board(like the Coimbatore western bypass).

UPDATE: just read the news that NHAI has planned to drop the 4-laning!

Quote:
As Ranjit says It is always prefered to drive the max distance in the 4 lanes as much as possible.
Yes, the Mangalam route option is good. Better to wade through Palladam than to go into Kangeyam and Sivanmalai temple(traffic at festival times).

Quote:
Always better to avoid Tiruppur even during odd hours as one cannot predict the traffic inside the busy town.
10 PM to 4 AM is the best time if going via Tiruppur. It is the city of 2-wheelers!

Last edited by ramzsys : 30th August 2013 at 18:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks