Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:31   #5611
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hi Ranjit,

Any specific update on Nilambur to Trissur route? Few confusions.

1) Manjeri or Pandikkad?
2) Kunnamkulam or Wadakanchery
For me it is Pandikkad-Perinthalmana-Kulappully-Vazhacode-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Kuttannellur-NH47.From thrissur as you might already know,no need to drive back to mannuthy,instead go via Jubilee Mission-Kuttanellur-NH47 Toll gate.

When do you propose to drive.I am driving hyd-blr on 12th and blr-tcr on 13th,yet to decide on the route,probably would go via salem.so if anybody happens to see a white AP regd figo with LTD,feel free to wave
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:37   #5612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
When do you propose to drive.I am driving hyd-blr on 12th and blr-tcr on 13th,yet to decide on the route,probably would go via salem.so if anybody happens to see a white AP regd figo with LTD,feel free to wave
Bingo on travel date but my onward travel is planned on 13th via Kumily to pickup a friend. Return travel is what I am looking at which is planned on 22nd Sept.
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:50   #5613
Senior - BHPian

Trivandrum-Kollam-aleppy-Ernakulam-Thrissur- The NH 47

Trivandrum-Kollam-aleppy-Ernakulam-Thrissur road update

Apart from Chertala-ambalapuzha the road is in good shape with almost all the speed cameras working.

Returned to Trivandrum after a weekly round trip(Trivandrum-Thrissur-Trivandrum). Compared to the last week more pothholes have been worked on and the road is more bumpy at aleppy region.

The sea line route in between aleppy and kollam seems to be more foggy,may be because of the tide variations in the sea.

While driving at night there are many places where road is not marked properly which is a hazard.

The route is shaping up good after the monsoon.
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:17   #5614
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Need help for a friend who is driving Bangalore to Kottarakkara next week. Which of the below is the best route considering he is driving a car with low hanging under belly

1) Bangalore - Dindigul - Kumily - Mundakkayam - Erumely - Kottarakkara

2) Bangalore - Madurai - Rajapalayam - Tenkasi - Kottarakkara
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:39   #5615
BHPian

Bangalore to Asthamudi

Hi,

Can someone please update recent road conditions from Bangalore to Asthamudi, Planning a trip this month end.

Also appreciate if someone can suggest place for night halt at Madurai. Seems like starting in afternoon from BLR may be a good option, Reach Madurai by sunset, Do a night halt and start next day morning to Asthamudi. Please let me know if this will work well.

Regards
SE
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:46   #5616
BHPian

Central aid for three bypasses including Kozhikode

Quote:
Thiruvananthapuram: The central government has informed the state that it will provide funds for construction of Kollam, Alappuzha bypasses and complete the Kozhikode bypass.
Hopefully, there will be a fresh lease of life for these long-delayed and urgently needed bypasses. Nobody is talking about Attingal Bypass nowadays though.
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:39   #5617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Finally, NHAI has invited tenders for Trivandrum bypass four laning of existing Kazhakuttam-Mukkola stretch, on a BOT basis, last date October 4th. Estimated cost is 550 crores. The district level purchase committee for fixing fair price for land acquisition for the remaining stretch of the bypass (Mukkola-Kaliyikkavila) is scheduled to meet next month.

Thanks, Shashi Tharoor.
bad news. if it is on a BOT basis, then the road will be tolled. Why the hell are they collecting road tax in that case?
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:44   #5618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Guys,

Need help for a friend who is driving Bangalore to Kottarakkara next week. Which of the below is the best route considering he is driving a car with low hanging under belly

1) Bangalore - Dindigul - Kumily - Mundakkayam - Erumely - Kottarakkara

2) Bangalore - Madurai - Rajapalayam - Tenkasi - Kottarakkara
Guys,

Any latest update on Mundakkayam - Erumely - Kottarakkara route?

I heard Ariyankavu stretch was bad in Tenkasi - Kottarakkara route about a month back. Not sure of any latest updates.
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:36   #5619
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Asthamudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
Hi,

Can someone please update recent road conditions from Bangalore to Asthamudi, Planning a trip this month end.

Also appreciate if someone can suggest place for night halt at Madurai. Seems like starting in afternoon from BLR may be a good option, Reach Madurai by sunset, Do a night halt and start next day morning to Asthamudi. Please let me know if this will work well.

Regards
SE
Check this thread for accomodation in Madurai.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...on-please.html
Old 5th September 2013, 15:34   #5620
Senior - BHPian

MC road travellers towards Kottayam must be aware that the condition of the road near Kuthattukulam between Aaroor and Puthuvely is extremely horrible with gutters not manoeuvrable for small cars and other low GC vehicles.
local dailies reported many vehicles breaking down in this route unaware of the depth of gutters which are filled with rain water. this includes Trucks as well!
those who can read Malayalam, a report today from Manorama Ernakulam edition: http://pastebin.ca/2443981

I think, it is better to bypass Kuthattukulam as of now.
my suggestion is to take, Muvattupuzha-Piravom-Naamakkuzhy-Elanji-rejoin at MC road at Monippilly to Kottayam. I am told the road conditions are OK in this route. extra kilometers to travel is around 4kms.
google map route:
http://goo.gl/maps/IBxxH

Other options: to take Piravom-Kottayam road through Peruva-Kaduthuruthy-Ettumanoor to reach Kottayam. but road conditions are not known.

http://goo.gl/maps/JxL4M

there are rural roads shown in google maps indicating which can bypass kuthattukulam area. but, I am not sure whether it is correct.
http://goo.gl/maps/qhw0z

Last edited by deepclutch : 5th September 2013 at 15:39.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 18:07   #5621

Folks,

I'm sorry if I'm the umpteenth person to be asking this. I went through few of the recent comments and I still don't have a clear picture on the best route to take from Bangalore - Kottayam.

I'm looking to start from Bangalore on the 14th, around 6 AM and reach Kottayam at the earliest possible. Could somebody tell me the shortest and the best (in terms of the road condition) route to take? If you could list down the major milestones that I need to hit, that'd be great. Also, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me approximately how far the route is in terms of distance and how long it could possibly take (of course this depends on the driver, the speed and the vehicle. But an approximation would be good enough). Thanks.
Old 5th September 2013, 19:41   #5622
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagsNair View Post
I'm looking to start from Bangalore on the 14th, around 6 AM and reach Kottayam at the earliest possible. Could somebody tell me the shortest and the best (in terms of the road condition) route to take? If you could list down the major milestones that I need to hit, that'd be great. Also, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me approximately how far the route is in terms of distance and how long it could possibly take (of course this depends on the driver, the speed and the vehicle. But an approximation would be good enough). Thanks.
I think your best option given current conditions are:
Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindugal (NH7 from Bangalore till Dindugal)-Theni-Kumily-Kottayam

Route link-Total distance about 600 Km. I think with a 5am start you can stop for lunch at Theni around 1pm and Kottayam before 6pm (Theni-Kottayam is a 'guesstimate' )

On this route NH7 is in great condition upto Dindugal; road widening is in progress on Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch and peak hour traffic in Salem to be avoided so you will need to time this well - an early start from Bangalore say between 4 and 5 am should do.

I think this is better than going via Palakkad since that route has more avoidable stretches plus it will be difficult to time your journey well enough to avoid Kerala traffic for a longer distance compared to the route above.

Last edited by NPV : 5th September 2013 at 19:47.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 20:57   #5623
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

I'm sorry if I'm the umpteenth person to be asking this. I went through few of the recent comments and I still don't have a clear picture on the best route to take from Bangalore - Kottayam.

I drove to Kottayam from Bangalore today. Started by 5:00 and reached Kottayam by 4:45 with two breaks. Took Palakad-pazhayannur-chelakara-vadakkanchery-mannuthy-kakkanad route.Roads are pretty decent and no real hold ups. While Theni - Kumily route is very scenic and almost through out the roads are butter smooth - however expect delays on the ghats and kumily to kanjirapally due to town traffic.
JoeMichael is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 21:17   #5624

Thanks a bunch Joe and NPV. I've never driven on this route and so most of these names are new to me I'm assuming the both of you're talking of the same route, except for the part after entering Kerala?
Old 5th September 2013, 23:26   #5625
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a bunch Joe and NPV. I've never driven on this route and so most of these names are new to me I'm assuming the both of you're talking of the same route, except for the part after entering Kerala?
Both are different route. What NPV mentioned is via Salem-Dindigul-Theni

While the other route is Salem-CBE-Palakkad section. The route mentioned is modified to work around this section (Perundurai-Kangeaym-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur etc)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed