Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2013, 19:49   #5671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post

I think instead of saving Rs.50/- toll, we will spend more on fuel and time..!!!
I think 50 rupees is a very high toll even for the Mannuthy-Angamaly stretch, especially since they've put up all those cameras. Anyway, once this post goes viral on Facebook, they're going to close of this road too, just like the old one.
Old 14th September 2013, 19:57   #5672
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Avoid the Toll on Thrissur-Cochin National Highway, Save Rs.50/-

While traveling from Thrissur to Cochin, take a right turn at Talore Junction. Travel via Eravakkadu to hit the NH between toll booth & Amballur junction. Here you need to take a U-Turn and continue your trip. This bypass is 4.5KM whereas by NH is 2.1. But you save Rs.50/-. A word of caution though, the panchayat road is not in a very good condition.

Disclaimer: Facebook Post. I have not tested this route. Someone can try this and post a feedback on this.
Really? That is one good stretch of road in kerala which comes as a big relief for us car lovers. And we publicize such methods?

Don't see people cribbing about hundreds of rupees paid in other states!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th September 2013 at 19:59.
Old 14th September 2013, 20:12   #5673
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Really? That is one good stretch of road in kerala which comes as a big relief for us car lovers. And we publicize such methods?

Don't see people cribbing about hundreds of rupees paid in other states!
Here is the original FB Post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 14th September 2013, 20:53   #5674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Avoid the Toll on Thrissur-Cochin National Highway, Save Rs.50/-

While traveling from Thrissur to Cochin, take a right turn at Talore Junction. Travel via Eravakkadu to hit the NH between toll booth & Amballur junction. Here you need to take a U-Turn and continue your trip. This bypass is 4.5KM whereas by NH is 2.1. But you save Rs.50/-. A word of caution though, the panchayat road is not in a very good condition.

Disclaimer: Facebook Post. I have not tested this route. Someone can try this and post a feedback on this.
I used to drive through this road atleast once a week till 2 months back. Average time taken to cover this road from Thalore town to NH is about 12 mnts. If you use NH time takwn will be 6 minutes, not counting time spent at toll booth queue. About 1 km of this byepass road from NH to Eravakad is not good but far better than Thrissur-Palghat National Hellway. My calculation is that you may save Rs35 if you drive a Swift Vdi.

Last edited by ontheroad : 14th September 2013 at 20:58.
Old 14th September 2013, 21:40   #5675
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove to Trivandrum yesterday from Kochi.
Lot of Onam traffic around Alleppey and Kollam.

The roads after Alleppey till Ambalapuzha is a bit bad but easily negotiable. I got surprised twice with two huge craters testing the tensile strength of my shocks.
Other than that, no problems at all.
Kollam to Trivandrum is in very good shape and was indeed the best part of the drive.

Driving back to Kochi day after tomorrow and intend taking the MC road. Shall update on return
Old 14th September 2013, 21:46   #5676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to disagree. The road surface is reasonable, but you have at least 5 or 6 traffic signals on the way - each of which takes an average of 1 to 2 minutes to traverse, heavy traffic all through, and on top of it speed guns that limit you to 70kmph at the very few places where you can afford to drive at a decent 90 kmph.

If I pay a toll of Rs.50 I'd at least expect to drive through the stretch without interruptions at an overall average speed of at least 60 to 70 kmph. Here it is very difficut to average even 50 kmph.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 00:35   #5677
Senior - BHPian

I took the Chamarajanagara - Sathyamangalam - Annur - Neelambur - Madukkarai - Chavadi - Velanthavalam - Chittur route on Friday, the 13th.

Since I started at noon, the city traffic made us crawl until I crossed the NICE ring road exit on Kanakapura road. It was expected, as BTM area is crowded at any time of the day. The Kanakapura road made me wonder if I did the right thing by opting to take this route, until we travelled for about 2 hours. The horrible road and unruly traffic was a serious dampener. However, once we left the city limits, things looked bright and smooth.

The road went through quite a few villages inside KA territory. I wouldn't say it was a pleasant experience driving through these villages. The road was barely enough for two vehicles to pass abreast. Lots of people that have no intention to walk on the sides. And of course, suicidal bikers.

After crossing to the TN side, it was pure bliss. Lots of curves, inclines and trees on either side. The best part was, the traffic was sparse, unlike the KA side. The Sathyamangalam area was scenic and beautiful.

From Annur, we went to Karumathampetty in an attempt to avoid getting inside CBE city limits. I expected the 4-laning to be over between Avinashi and Neelambur. I was sadly mistaken. And I realized that almost immediately after I hit the "highway" - hit some unmarked speedbreakers at 60-ish speed. Fortunately I'd made an attempt to brake at the last moment, that saved us and the car. The next 15-20 minutes were terse. Lots of traffic, most of them driving with highbeams on, unmarked speed-breakers, smart alecs that take the wrong side despite having a full lane for themselves...

I hit the L&T toll road anticipating a smooth drive, but it was bad too, because of the traffic. Except for those rare moments where there was a considerable gap between two trucks, I hardly ever crossed 60kmph. It was choc-a-block traffic until K.G. Chavadi.

There is a very short stretch of very bad road soon after entering the Chavadi-Velanthavalam road. The surface is really good after that. But the checkpost at the TN-KL border had a queue of vehicles on either side. Lost some time waiting for a gap to appear.

The worst part of this route is that there are absolutely NO decent hotels (with good rest-rooms) anywhere until we get onto NH-47. Definitely not advisable for families.

Started from Bangalore at 12 o'clock, and got home at 9 o'clock. About an hour wasted inside Bangalore city limits, and also for filling up. Then, a half-an-hour break at a small hotel in Chamarajanagar - for tea and a phone call. Another half an hour lost for a break at Karumathampetty. Probably, I would've taken about 6 hours for driving. Total distance travelled is only about 400km as against the 430km via Salem. Is this route worth the reduced distance? Probably not. Is this route good for driving? Hell yes, if we start very early in the morning
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 00:48   #5678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Driving back to Kochi day after tomorrow and intend taking the MC road. Shall update on return
What has happened to the Thripunithura - Poothotta road? Non existent at most places. I guess they have dug up for laying a pipeline there? But tarring has started from Poothotta side I think. Better you take Chotanikara route, but expect a choker block near Thiruvankulam / Hill Palace.

Please do update on the stretch from Chenganur to Kottayam, I've been avoiding it lately. Kottayam to Ettumanur is okay (patched up now) and Ettumanur till Poothota / Kanjiramattam is bliss. So is Trivandrum to Chenganur, you glide rather than drive.

Last edited by thoma : 15th September 2013 at 00:58.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 11:54   #5679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why not? If such a method becomes more popular than the NH itself, then it obviously mean that the NH benefits are not worth the toll, right?
Old 15th September 2013, 13:08   #5680
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

Sorry to disagree. The road surface is reasonable, but you have at least 5 or 6 traffic signals on the way - each of which takes an average of 1 to 2 minutes to traverse, heavy traffic all through, and on top of it speed guns that limit you to 70kmph at the very few places where you can afford to drive at a decent 90 kmph.

If I pay a toll of Rs.50 I'd at least expect to drive through the stretch without interruptions at an overall average speed of at least 60 to 70 kmph. Here it is very difficut to average even 50 kmph.
Agree about the speed limits and traffic, but atleast the road surface is good, and that's a big thing in Kerala.

The National Highway from Trivandrum to Cochin is in a sad state and less said about Thrissur - Palakkad stretch the better. This toll road is good to cruise at 70 during non peak hours atleast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Why not? If such a method becomes more popular than the NH itself, then it obviously mean that the NH benefits are not worth the toll, right?
No. It only reflects on the sad attitude of our people. They are using the toll road, but dying to avoid paying for it. If the benefits are not with it- avoid the road and not the toll alone.

How many wants to go back to the old two lane highways?

I have conveyed my view. Don't wish to go further off topic.
Old 15th September 2013, 16:56   #5681
BHPian

Can any one update me on the Palakkad Coimbatore road? As many here said about repairs, any update on the same?

I am planning to go from Thrissur to Bangalore on 14 October via shornur - ottapalam road - Palakkad then catch the NH47 or is there any other options or suggestions.

Travelling with family (wife & two daughters - One 7 year old daughter and other a two month old infant) so prefer a less hassle road and this trip would be my second daughter's first road trip.... So kindly advice..
Old 15th September 2013, 19:32   #5682
BHPian

Can anyone suggest the best route to reach OMR Chennai (Navalur) from kothamangalam (KL) ? Do I have to go through the NH47 option or does it make sense to take the munnar/udumalapet or bodi - dindigual route ? Which one has better road conditions ? This is for my return trip tomorow.
Old 15th September 2013, 20:28   #5683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashi4877 View Post
Can any one update me on the Palakkad Coimbatore road? As many here said about repairs, any update on the same?

I am planning to go from Thrissur to Bangalore on 14 October via shornur - ottapalam road - Palakkad then catch the NH47 or is there any other options or suggestions.

Travelling with family (wife & two daughters - One 7 year old daughter and other a two month old infant) so prefer a less hassle road and this trip would be my second daughter's first road trip.... So kindly advice..
A close friend did Coimbatore-Walayar-Palakkad the day before. Per his experience, it's manageable in a sedan (he drove an ANHC). However, I had a harrowing time on the stretch between Karumathampetty and Neelambur, thanks to the unmarked speed-breakers and diversions.

Since you mentioned that you're travelling in October, I'd suggest you wait and watch. Construction of many flyovers have begun on the stretch between Alathur and Walayar on NH-47. The latest being the one at Chandranagar.
Old 15th September 2013, 21:39   #5684
BHPian

Planning for a round trip from Chennai- Ettumanoor-Calicut - Chennai in October.
Based on the comments here, I have decided to take Dindigul -Kumili route for onward and Palakkad-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi route for return trip (I would need to visit Palakkad for a function otherwise would have taken the Mysore route for return) However I have question on which route should be taken from Kumili to Ettumanoor as I could see 3 different routes as given below

1. Kumili - Upputhura-Vagamon-Teekoy-Erattupetta-Pala-Etumanoor - 98 KM
2. Kumili - Vandiperiyar-Kuttikkanam-Mundakkayam-Paika-Pala-Ettumanoor - 105 KM
3. Kumili - Vandiperiyar-Kuttikkanam-Mundakkayam-Kanjirappalli-Ayarkuunam-Ettumanoor - 119 KM

Could someone please suggest which one is best based on your experience?
Old 16th September 2013, 02:37   #5685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Planning for a round trip from Chennai- Ettumanoor-Calicut - Chennai in October.
Based on the comments here, I have decided to take Dindigul -Kumili route for onward and Palakkad-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi route for return trip (I would need to visit Palakkad for a function otherwise would have taken the Mysore route for return) However I have question on which route should be taken from Kumili to Ettumanoor as I could see 3 different routes as given below

1. Kumili - Upputhura-Vagamon-Teekoy-Erattupetta-Pala-Etumanoor - 98 KM
2. Kumili - Vandiperiyar-Kuttikkanam-Mundakkayam-Paika-Pala-Ettumanoor - 105 KM
3. Kumili - Vandiperiyar-Kuttikkanam-Mundakkayam-Kanjirappalli-Ayarkuunam-Ettumanoor - 119 KM

Could someone please suggest which one is best based on your experience?
first route is the proper one. the road conditions are good as KSTP built the Ettumanur-Poonjar section. traffic in Pala town which is quiet narrow without any bypasses - is a problem. from Erattupetta to Kanjirappilly road is not Macadam constructed expect occasional bad patches.

the roads are not fully Macadam constructed in 2nd route from Mundakkayam-Paika-Pala.
On the 2nd route - the route may be Kuttikkanam-Mundakkayam-Pinnakkanad-Mallikassery-Paika route . from Pinnakkanad, you have to take right turn to Mallikassery-Vilakkumaadom-Paika road which is narrow but doable. you have to ask at Pinnakkanad for this specific route.

regarding 3rd option, if you don't mind the last 10-11kms towards Ettumanoor, you may continue from --Kuttikkanam-Mundakkayam-Kanjirappilly-Ponkunnam-Pampady-Manarcad-Thiruvanchoor-Ettumanur road. this is Kottayam-Kumily highway and it is mostly good in condition.
I think 3rd option with the change of Manarcad-Thiruvanchur-Ettumanoor road is a good option.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks