Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 13:21   #5746
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
Heard that the Kuthiran section is not bad now. The Vadakkenchey-Mannuthy can be doable. But not sure about the Palakkad-Alatur-Vadakkencehry route.
Kuthiran is in good shape. There are diversions between Palakkad-Vadakkencherry due to flyover construction, expect bad surface.
coolclouds is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 13:25   #5747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Kuthiran is in good shape. There are diversions between Palakkad-Vadakkencherry due to flyover construction, expect bad surface.
Great to hear that, For the past 5 months I had been avoiding Kuthiraan stretch.
Thanks for the update
Old 1st October 2013, 15:54   #5748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But not sure about the Palakkad-Alatur-Vadakkencehry route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
There are diversions between Palakkad-Vadakkencherry due to flyover construction, expect bad surface.
Chandranagar junction, like i said earlier, is dug up, and it's a crude roundabout there. The surface is patchy, with some shallow potholes, for the next kilometre or so. There's a bad patch in front of the Malabar hospital (it's a bridge over there, and there will be some construction equipment stationed in the vicinity all the time).

The road surface is decent from there on until the next diversion which is approximately 15km from Chandranagar. Except for the bad patches on the diversions, the road is average to good. Conducive for good speeds whenever the traffic allows.
Quote:
This is normal state for last 2-3 months. The condition became like this once the bridge work started near the TN check post. The service line is only open for the traffic which is 80 % blocked by the parked trucks. The condition towards Bangalore is a little better. I used to bypass the TN checkpost by taking either Sarjapur-Bagalur-Hosur route (http://goo.gl/maps/btPey) or Attibele-TVS Factory-Hosur(http://goo.gl/maps/auKp3). The condition of Sarjapur/Bagalur route is really good other than a 500m stretch in Sarjapur town. The TVS factory road is also very good.
Gonna try your suggestion on my next trip. Thanks!

Last edited by silversteed : 1st October 2013 at 16:04.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 11:47   #5749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
As for the route option, for those intending to go towards North, the Pollachi-Gopalapuram-Palakkad-NH213 is the best way, and for those going towards Thrissur/Kochi, Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Chelakkara route.
I am planning to drive down to kerala tomorrow early morning.

My original plan was to take the palakkad - Shoranur-vadakkanchery route but after going through your suggetions, i am thinking of taking this route - http://goo.gl/maps/qBsJ7

Can you please tell me if I have got the route correct?

--Anoop
Old 4th October 2013, 12:01   #5750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am planning to drive down to kerala tomorrow early morning.

My original plan was to take the palakkad - Shoranur-vadakkanchery route but after going through your suggetions, i am thinking of taking this route - http://goo.gl/maps/qBsJ7

--Anoop
Kuthiran is not in a bad shape (don't want to call it as good) any more. Valayar stretch is bad, but can be done at a slow pace. If you are looking to save time, it will be better to stick to NH 47 (unless you want to explore the state highways of TN)

I did Pollachi through Kanakpura, Sathyamangalam and then to Thrissur through the very same route mentioned by you. Roads are excellent all through, but you will find it difficuly to maintain the average.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:07   #5751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Kuthiran is not in a bad shape (don't want to call it as good) any more. Valayar stretch is bad, but can be done at a slow pace. If you are looking to save time, it will be better to stick to NH 47 (unless you want to explore the state highways of TN)

I did Pollachi through Kanakpura, Sathyamangalam and then to Thrissur through the very same route mentioned by you. Roads are excellent all through, but you will find it difficuly to maintain the average.
Thank you!

Since I am travelling with my baby, the average will not be high any way. I am more concerned about a better \ smooth drive than saving time.

--Anoop
Old 4th October 2013, 12:39   #5752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend going all the way to Malumichampatty and then turning off to Pollachi. The Avinashi-Neelambur stretch has many unmarked speed-breakers and also you can see traffic moving in both directions on either side of the divider. I suggest this:
http://goo.gl/maps/RMMRd
Quote:
Quote:
I am more concerned about a better \ smooth drive than saving time.
If you are going by Mr.gadadhar's suggestion and taking the Kuthiran route, this would be my recommendation:
http://goo.gl/maps/wCb0C

Instead of taking a right at the Kollengode Palace (after a Girls' High school on the right) towards Alathur, stay on the Pollachi-Vadakkenchery SH. It'll lead you onto NH-47.

This route is about 20km shorter, but I am not very sure about the Alathur-Vadkkenchery stretch.

Last edited by silversteed : 4th October 2013 at 12:44.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:49   #5753
BHPian

We did Kochi to Coimbatore and back on 1st October. We went in NH 47 only. The roads are fine except for a small stretch. They are doing the repairs too. I feel you can use that route.
Rameshdude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 13:19   #5754
Senior - BHPian

I will be driving to Trivandrum tomorrow. Plan to start at 4:30 - 5:00 AM. What is the condition of Nagercoil- Trivandrum? Is there any faster alternative to reach Kesavadapuram?
Old 4th October 2013, 14:25   #5755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I wouldn't recommend going all the way to Malumichampatty and then turning off to Pollachi. The Avinashi-Neelambur stretch has many unmarked speed-breakers and also you can see traffic moving in both directions on either side of the divider. I suggest this:
http://goo.gl/maps/RMMRd
Thank you. Can you please tell me if this route (perundurai to pollachi) is a wide single lane road or is it also well laid with dividers in between (like the Krishnagiri-salem road).

--Anoop
Old 4th October 2013, 14:31   #5756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pollachi via Kanakpura would sure kill the average. But Pollachi via Salem should be good. (Hope queues at the Toll Gates are next to none!)

Quote:
Thank you. Can you please tell me if this route (perundurai to pollachi) is a wide single lane road or is it also well laid with dividers in between (like the Krishnagiri-salem road).

--Anoop

Perundurai to Pollachi is a nice 2-lane road. Very good surface as well. You should see some traffic between Kangeyam and Palladam.

Last edited by ampere : 4th October 2013 at 14:32.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:57   #5757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

--Anoop
Anoop, it is a wide 2-lane State Highway. No dividers like those on the 4-laned highways, but there are some short stretches inside/near towns where it's 4-laned.

Here's a short video from one of my recent trips to Bangalore:

The road is more or less like this all throughout.

Last edited by silversteed : 4th October 2013 at 15:14.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 17:15   #5758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Pollachi via Kanakpura would sure kill the average. But Pollachi via Salem should be good. (Hope queues at the Toll Gates are next to none!)
You bet! Experienced it during Onam time. Left at noon time (mistake #1), and it took us about 8 hours to cover 400km via Chamarajanagar-Kollegal-Sathyamangalam (mistake #2). Even with the bad patches at Walayar and two breaks - at Vaikundam and Shoolagiri, it's taken us only about 7 hours to cover 420km on NH-47/NH-7
Old 4th October 2013, 19:48   #5759
BHPian

Reached Kochi from Bangalore just a few hours back and a quick report:
- Took Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Chengapalli-Thirupur ring road bypass-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy-Edappally
- Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy has fresh tarmac (yep, at Kurhiran too) up until 3-4 kms from Mannuthy. Have not driven that stretch on such a good surface in a long time. Don't know how long it will last. No lane marking etc. but is wide enough.
- Overall could do a 9.5 hr drive starting 6:20 AM from Bangalore with 4 stops (totaling about 1 hr 15 mts-ish).
- Pollachi-Vadakkenchery section is excellent but may hit averages
- Overall had a good drive and didn't feel much fatigued at the end of it!
Mnjdnght is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 07:34   #5760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I will be driving to Trivandrum tomorrow. Plan to start at 4:30 - 5:00 AM. What is the condition of Nagercoil- Trivandrum? Is there any faster alternative to reach Kesavadapuram?
Nagercoil-Kaliyakkavilai-Poovar-Trivandrum (Bye Pass) is the one option which is not too much of a detour. The surface is good in the Poovar - TVM section unlike the NH and there is hardly any traffic jam. I think you can take a right towards Pettah and then do Pattom, Kesavadasapuram. I am not sure of this last section but I think you should be able to avoid a good part of the city if you take this bye pass route.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed