Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2013, 13:16   #5806
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
I think the update is almost same

Let me check locally and confirm you what would be a good option. Any budget in mind?
Thanks for the update jacs.

I am looking for a decent hotel/lodge/homestay just to stay for a night and I am going with my friends (no ladies).
So, small budget ones. May be around 1K per night.
Old 11th October 2013, 13:18   #5807
Senior - BHPian

I am unable to give updates on the stretch from Thekaddy to Pamba as I did this route in February this year.One suggestions is if you are planning to skip Erumeli then the route from Mudakayam to Pamba is also good.

Last edited by gajadonga : 11th October 2013 at 13:19.
Old 11th October 2013, 13:25   #5808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Thanks for the update jacs.

I am looking for a decent hotel/lodge/homestay just to stay for a night and I am going with my friends (no ladies).
So, small budget ones. May be around 1K per night.
Let me check and confirm. 1K accomodation wouldn't be an issue in this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I am unable to give updates on the stretch from Thekaddy to Pamba as I did this route in February this year.One suggestions is if you are planning to skip Erumeli then the route from Mudakayam to Pamba is also good.
You would take a left just before Mundakkayam town right? This way is via North Erumeli and do not actually touch Erumeli town while driving to Pamba. Not sure of road conditions post monsoons but even the bad of the baddest stretch in Kerala are patched now. So no need to expect cannot drive kind in any main roads in this area.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 13:38   #5809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post

Let me check and confirm. 1K accomodation wouldn't be an issue in this route.

You would take a left just before Mundakkayam town right? This way is via North Erumeli and do not actually touch Erumeli town while driving to Pamba. Not sure of road conditions post monsoons but even the bad of the baddest stretch in Kerala are patched now. So no need to expect cannot drive kind in any main roads in this area.
Yes you are right we take the left turn before Mudakayam. Sigh boards are in place at that junction.I have visited these places at different seasons in a year. Cannot drive kind of situation never arose.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 21:38   #5810
BHPian

Friends i need to travel to Changanacherry from Bangalore .

I have 2 options the first one through NH47 and other through dindigul-->theni---> kumily--karukachal---Changanacherry

Now regarding the NH 47, can some one let me know the state of road between Palakkad and Thrissur.

Do we need to take a deviation through pollachi and reach vadakancherry ?

Please guide me on the best route to reach changancherry.
Old 11th October 2013, 21:51   #5811
Senior - BHPian

I am visiting Club Mahindra, Thekkady during end of the month. from Muvattupuzha, planning to take Thodupuzha-Muttom-Erattupetta-Kanjirappilly-KK road to reach Thekkady. any update about the road conditions all over as well as directions towards Thekkady to Club Mahindra resort. also from Pinnakkanad via Chettuthod to reach KK road, is it very remote road safe to drive?

Last edited by deepclutch : 11th October 2013 at 21:55.
Old 11th October 2013, 23:57   #5812

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Friends i need to travel to Changanacherry from Bangalore . I have 2 options the first one through NH47 and other through dindigul-->theni---> kumily--karukachal---Changanacherry Now regarding the NH 47, can some one let me know the state of road between Palakkad and Thrissur. Do we need to take a deviation through pollachi and reach vadakancherry ? Please guide me on the best route to reach changancherry.
I drove to and fro Pattanamthitta from Bangalore a month back and took NH47 from Blore to P'thitta. The infamous Palakkad- Thrissur section though still crater ridden, the really bad patch was only about 7-8 kms long as against almost the whole distance when I drove in May earlier this year.

On my way back, I took the Kollam- Thirumangalam highway through Punalur-Tenkasi to Madurai which is in good shape considering the hilly terrain and rains. I really loved this stretch coz it's scenic and engaging with it's 'semi-ghat' profile, if I may. Madurai-Dindigul-Salem- Krishnagiri stretch is a typical, delicious, TN 6 lane carriageway dotted with refreshing "Only Coffee" joints. This route will probably add about 80 kms to your 1st option.
Old 12th October 2013, 08:22   #5813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Friends i need to travel to Changanacherry from Bangalore .

I have 2 options the first one through NH47 and other through dindigul-->theni---> kumily--karukachal---Changanacherry

Now regarding the NH 47, can some one let me know the state of road between Palakkad and Thrissur.

Do we need to take a deviation through pollachi and reach vadakancherry ?

Please guide me on the best route to reach changancherry.
Would suggest going via Kumily. I had did BGL-CHRY in August via Kumily. Took me 9.5 hours. The caveat - you need to be comfortable driving in the ghats!
Old 13th October 2013, 23:41   #5814

I did a Chennai - Palakkad drive yesterday. Had taken Trichy-Karur-Kangayam-Palladam-Walayar route the last couple of times to avoid the dreaded Avinashi stretch. This time kept the option open and took Ulundurpet-Attur-Salem-Perundurai. Had thought that I can possibly take Perundurai-Tiruppur-Palladam-Walayar route however since I had reached Perundurai around 2pm decided to try Avinashi hoping that traffic would be lean in those hours. Thankfully it turned out right. Only three diversions around Avinashi area, with the first two being around half km and the next (karumathampatty) around 2km, and I could cover the stretch in a breeze due to light traffic. Road after L&T bypass had a few potholes but it was motorable. Due to patchwork all around, the road was uneven in most stretches post L&T bypass, before and after Walayar, till my home near Kanjikode. Average speed for the 520km distance was 70kmph.
gokuldasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 07:23   #5815
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Vaikom to Bangalore yesterday. Took the NH 47 NH 7 route. NH 47 between Mannuthy and Palakkad is in good shape now except for 6 KMs between Mannuthy and Palakkad which has few potholes (no craters). Relaying is in progress there. Kuthiran is done and is in excellent condition. Vadakkencherry to Coimbatore bypass is patched up. Road widening is happening between Alathur and Walayar. Both sides of 6 lane is open from Coimabtore bypass till almost Chengapalli but expect vehicles in the wrong side. The work on bridges is also almost done and you don't have to slow down.

In the current situation, it does not make any sense to take alternate routes at all.

I reached Mannuthy at 7:10 AM and covered the next 65 KMs in 1 hour 8 mins. Took 10 hours for 573 KMs ( driving time 8 hours 40 Mins)

Kuthirian is in the best shape that I have seen in 8 years.

Last edited by pramodpk : 14th October 2013 at 07:26.
pramodpk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 19:21   #5816
Senior - BHPian

Drove through NH47 Coimbatore and reached Kochi just now.

L&T exit till Alathur is rough throughout. You don't get 500 mtr smooth road anywhere here. Can do 60kmph easily, but compromise on comfort.

Alathur to Vadakkancherry is smooth with bad patches here and there.

Vadakkancherry till Mannuthy is in good shape.

Nowhere the road is harmful to your vehicle.

Retarring work almost reached Mannuthy.
coolclouds is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 20:23   #5817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Retarring work almost reached Mannuthy.
Great.. Hope this rework lasts at least till the next monsoon.. (I mean the main one in June - not the thulavarsham due to start anytime now)
Old 15th October 2013, 17:42   #5818
BHPian

Got back to Bangalore from Shoranur yesterday. Quick update.
- Took Shoranur - Palakkad - Walayar - Coimabtore - Avinashi - Salem - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Nice road - Bannerghatta road route
- Shoranur - Palakkad is a super smooth drive. Palakkad - Walayar is drivable though bumpy due to patch works (no potholes though). Walayar - Coimbatore also in a similar state with some rough patches at deviations. A lot of progress is being made in the 4 lane-ing of the Palakkad - Walayar section. I am hoping that in 2 years this will become a smooth drive leaving only Palakkad - Mannuthy as the suspect stretch.
- Coimbatore - Chengappalli is now 6 lane (lanes unmarked) both ways (except at Karumathampathy and just before Chengappalli). Between Neelambur and Karumathampathy there are those speed breakers mostly at joints over flyovers/ bridges. After Karumathampathy it gets a lot smoother with a few of those speed breakers towards the end of the stretch. They are marked with faint white lines. Locals and some fellow long drivers do use both sides as two way. Hence be cautious while overtaking especially around ups, curves etc. There is no need to now look for alternate routes on account of this stretch.
- Chengappalli - Bangalore is a breeze as usual (except approaching Hosur and after Hosur).
- On account of holidays traffic was relatively easy though there were a bit more of highway speedsters than usual zipping by (and some not so safely)
- Overall took 6 hrs 45 mins with 2 breaks (total around 40 minutes).
Mnjdnght is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 21:06   #5819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
Ernakulam-Thripuniithara-Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha-Muttom-Vagamon-Elappara-Peermade-Kumily(http://goo.gl/maps/fyKu1)
or
Ernakulam-Thripuniithara-Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha-Idukki-Kattapana--Kumily(http://goo.gl/maps/0csXK)

Denver,
DO you know the current state of Vagamon-Elappara-Peerumade-Kumily stretch?
Old 15th October 2013, 21:13   #5820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I am visiting Club Mahindra, Thekkady during end of the month. from Muvattupuzha, planning to take Thodupuzha-Muttom-Erattupetta-Kanjirappilly-KK road to reach Thekkady. any update about the road conditions all over as well as directions towards Thekkady to Club Mahindra resort. also from Pinnakkanad via Chettuthod to reach KK road, is it very remote road safe to drive?
I had driven along this road from Ernakulam partly till Peerumedu (just before Thekkady) on 18 Sep. The stretch from Muttam till Erattupetta is having a lot of potholes. I had then travelled via Vagamon to Kuttikanam to join the KK road. This route though very scenic is in a really bad condition mostly. On the return leg, drove up to Kanjirappally on KK road and then took the Elikkulam road (winding, but good)to reach Palai and then Ernakulam. The roads were good.

Most Viewed