Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 21:15   #5821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post

Denver,
DO you know the current state of Vagamon-Elappara-Peerumade-Kumily stretch?
No idea. I have done this route around 2 years back. That time it was really good.
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 22:12   #5822
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Denver,
DO you know the current state of Vagamon-Elappara-Peerumade-Kumily stretch?
As mentioned in my post no 7820 and in continuation of the same, the Erattupetta- Vagamon stretch is really bad, having suffered several landslides and rain damage, for which repairs were yet to commence as of last month. Many places single lane is only possible when buses are on the way.The Vagamon- Elappara- Kuttikanam portion is in relatively very good condition.
tomchacks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:59   #5823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
I am looking for a decent hotel/lodge/homestay just to stay for a night and I am going with my friends (no ladies).
So, small budget ones. May be around 1K per night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Let me check and confirm. 1K accomodation wouldn't be an issue in this route.
Check Lakeshore Inn, Hotel Ambadi etc as you should get very decent stay for 1-1.5K. Try advance booking if its on a weekend.

Also most of the lodges in 600-800 per room in Kumily are decent for bachelor accommodation as updated by a friend who lives in Kumily.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 12:00   #5824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchacks View Post
As mentioned in my post no 7820 and in continuation of the same, the Erattupetta- Vagamon stretch is really bad, having suffered several landslides and rain damage, for which repairs were yet to commence as of last month. Many places single lane is only possible when buses are on the way.The Vagamon- Elappara- Kuttikanam portion is in relatively very good condition.
I will avoid Erattupetta-Vagamon and will take Thodupuzha-Muttom-Vagamon-Elappara. Hope Muttom-Vagamon is in good shape.
Old 16th October 2013, 12:03   #5825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will avoid Erattupetta-Vagamon and will take Thodupuzha-Muttom-Vagamon-Elappara. Hope Muttom-Vagamon is in good shape.
If you are new to driving high-range, I wouldn't suggest the routes via Elaveezhapoonjira or Moolamattom. Very narrow and steep.

Stick to KK Road till Kuttikkanam. Take left to Kattappana road and take left "U" turn in Elappara to reach Wagamon peacefully. No bad roads.
Old 16th October 2013, 12:17   #5826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had driven along this road from Ernakulam partly till Peerumedu (just before Thekkady) on 18 Sep. The stretch from Muttam till Erattupetta is having a lot of potholes. I had then travelled via Vagamon to Kuttikanam to join the KK road. This route though very scenic is in a really bad condition mostly. On the return leg, drove up to Kanjirappally on KK road and then took the Elikkulam road (winding, but good)to reach Palai and then Ernakulam. The roads were good.
I am going from Muvattupuzha. want a fast and safer route avoiding narrow highrange roads(maximum). will try Thoudpuzha-Muttom-Erattupetta-Pinnakkanad-KK Road-Thekkadi as I've already gone through this route.

http://goo.gl/maps/Hu1tq

I have a doubt though, google maps is showing a road from Pinnakkanad to Parathode(KK road). is this route correct and in good condition?
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-screenshot-20131016-121755.png  

Old 16th October 2013, 12:56   #5827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I am going from Muvattupuzha. want a fast and safer route avoiding narrow highrange roads(maximum). will try Thoudpuzha-Muttom-Erattupetta-Pinnakkanad-KK Road-Thekkadi as I've already gone through this route.

http://goo.gl/maps/Hu1tq

I have a doubt though, google maps is showing a road from Pinnakkanad to Parathode(KK road). is this route correct and in good condition?
May not be really worth the risk considering that you save only 4 kms going through that road.

Also since Muttom-Erattupetta is reported as being bad I think the safest would be Muvattupuzha-Koothattukulam-Palai-Ponkunnam and then NH-220 from there on.

May be you can try to avoid the MC road traffic between Muvattupuzha and Kothamangalam by taking the parallel road via Pandappilly. (Google Maps suggests this, but I have no idea of current road conditions. I travelled that way a couple of years ago and there was lots of roadwork in progress on that route, so may be it is better now).

Interestingly this route via Pala is more or less the same distance as the one you have listed via Thodupuzha- Muttom, assuming you don't take the shortcut to Parathode from Pinakkanad.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 13:04   #5828
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are referring to reaching Vagamon from Muttom by turning right off Idukki road(as shown in Google map). I haven't traveled all the way. But the part I traveled last year was a narrow road, winding all the way.

I would recommend that instead of going to Thodupuzha, you proceed from Muvattupuzha to Ettumanoor along MC road, and take the left turn to Palai and from there to Ponkunnam where you join NH 220 and on wards to Thekkady via Kanjirapally and Peermedu. The roads are OK and can be used in night also.

A shorter link is available from MC road at Monipally (after Koothahttukulam and before Ettumanoor) to Palai via Uzhavoor, which is in good condition. Probably you will need to ask for directions once or twice as the route is little confusing.
Old 16th October 2013, 13:10   #5829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
If you are new to driving high-range, I wouldn't suggest the routes via Elaveezhapoonjira or Moolamattom. Very narrow and steep.

Stick to KK Road till Kuttikkanam. Take left to Kattappana road and take left "U" turn in Elappara to reach Wagamon peacefully. No bad roads.
Thanks Jacs. I am not new to ghat roads. I wanted to avoid them initially as my parents (mother is not comfortable travelling in high-ranges) were supposed to travel with me to Gavi. But the plan was changed and I will be travelling with wife and son only. So I thought taking a scenic route will be good if the road is good.
Old 16th October 2013, 13:45   #5830

Hi,
Drove from Bangalore to Tiruvalla 2 days ago. Took the NH47 through out.Kuthiran is a breeze. Road after L&T bypass and for a few km's between Palghat and Thrissur had a few potholes but it was motorable.
Reached Edapalli Junction - Ernakulam at aroung 3.30. Had to wait in the signal for more than 20 mins. Other than this part, the rest of the drive was quite smooth.
Also saw a new McDonalds at Palghat(the junction where we need to take a left turn for Thrissur).

I would definitely recommend the NH47

Going back to Bangalore this weekend, via Madurai. Plan to start from Trivandrum at around 7.30PM. Pls do recommend good places for Lunch ?
Thanks
Regards
Girish
Old 16th October 2013, 14:02   #5831
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are referring to reaching Vagamon from Muttom by turning right off Idukki road(as shown in Google map). I haven't traveled all the way. But the part I traveled last year was a narrow road, winding all the way.
Yes. I am referring to the same and have done this route 3-4 times in the past. It's narrow and have some steep curves. It's a scenic route but not sure whether the road is holding up after the recent heavy monsoon.
Old 16th October 2013, 14:03   #5832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
May not be really worth the risk considering that you save only 4 kms going through that road.

Also since Muttom-Erattupetta is reported as being bad I think the safest would be Muvattupuzha-Koothattukulam-Palai-Ponkunnam and then NH-220 from there on.

May be you can try to avoid the MC road traffic between Muvattupuzha and Kothamangalam by taking the parallel road via Pandappilly. (Google Maps suggests this, but I have no idea of current road conditions. I travelled that way a couple of years ago and there was lots of roadwork in progress on that route, so may be it is better now).

Interestingly this route via Pala is more or less the same distance as the one you have listed via Thodupuzha- Muttom, assuming you don't take the shortcut to Parathode from Pinakkanad.
yesterday only I've travelled through the route through Arakuzha-Pandappilly to avoid MC road going to Chethimattom,Pala. not many drivers will be patient enough to slow down through the gutters filled road through Pandappilly till Kuthattukulam. but, still manageable and I prefer this route as of now.
There is a slight deviation though:
after reaching Palakkuzha, take right turn and move around 100 meters and take a left turn go straight. this road will end near Taxi stand, Kuthattukulam passing through KSEB sub station. better than going through the usual road. it is shorter too, though negligible.
Google maps:
http://goo.gl/maps/eI4hm

I will take Muvattupuzha-Vengallur-Kolani(Pala road)-Pravithanam-Alanad-Edappaady-Bharanganam-Erattupetta-Thekkady road then. seems to me, the faster route too. I've gone through Chundachery(near Pravithanam) few days back road was broken yet doable. it is only 4kms that is broken compared to other options like going through Kuthattukulam or Pala.
Map:
http://goo.gl/maps/ZLJry

update: when coming from Muvattupuzha side you can bypass Thodupuzha town by taking Vengallur-Kolani bypass. the road is in bad condition after the monsoons though. take a right turn at Vengallur signal.

Update about Pala roads: Pala town as usual narrow roads and traffic bottleneck at Lalam bridge(new bridge is partly open). traffic is high but no wide roads. it is one way from Municipal building onwards.
There is a new bypass road near Mini Civil station(Kuthattukulam road) for Thodupuzha. not sure if it is open.

Last edited by deepclutch : 16th October 2013 at 14:08.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 14:55   #5833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jacs. I am not new to ghat roads. I wanted to avoid them initially as my parents (mother is not comfortable travelling in high-ranges) were supposed to travel with me to Gavi. But the plan was changed and I will be travelling with wife and son only. So I thought taking a scenic route will be good if the road is good.
I would suggest you stick to KK Road, its no doubt scenic from Peruvanthanam onwards. You could stop by some points as well.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 17:21   #5834
Senior - BHPian

For the information of T-bhpians heading to Munnar/Thekkady or passing through Idukki, Please note, LDF has called for a dawn to dusk harthal (Bandh) on friday, 18th october in Idukki district. There could be disruptions to vehicular movement. News item here (Sorry, could not find any english link, this one is in malayalam) : http://www.mathrubhumi.com/story.php?id=398895

Last edited by sandsun7 : 16th October 2013 at 17:22.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 22:57   #5835
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody taken the Bangalore-Kanakapura-Chamrajnagar-Sathy-CBE route recently? Any updates on the condition of the road would be great. I am planning to drive down from BLR to Thrissur through this route on Friday. I am confused between going via Kanakapura or Mysore - but going via Sathy is more or less sure (just for that relaxed drive).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks