Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2013, 21:04   #5911
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Also any update on other side, Cumban-Theni-Kumily-Mundakayam route. Adventurous, but 90kms less. Do you recommend the route especially in December?
Old 28th October 2013, 23:00   #5912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes you are routes are spot on,but why would you want to go back to the NH47.You can come back onto Pazhayannur road and continue towards thrissur via pazhayannur-wadakancheri-thrissur.roads are in excellent condition.Also you can get to alathur via pollachi kollengode-alathur.i would prefer this route any day over the nh47.nh47 has just been patched up nothing great about it and the traffic is humongous thanks to heavy vehicle traffic.
Second Ranjith on this.

This road has a good surface.
Like Sandsun mentioned, the entire route is very scenic and a pleasure to drive.

BTW, few months back I have posted a video here. Incidently, the video was shot at Padoor (where the Swift/Dezire is parked). Just to give you an idea about the road.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3220140
iVento is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 23:43   #5913
Senior - BHPian

visited Thekkadi(Club Mahindra). we took, Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha-Muttom-Arakkulam-Idukki(Painave)-Cheruthoni-Naarakakkanam-Vellayaamkudi-Kattappana-Puliyanmala-Vandanmed-Puttadi-Kumily-Thekkadi route for the onward journey.
google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/h6NfR

It is after a long time I am travelling through highrange roads. they are better generally than our roads on the planes.
the road is Macadam laid,excellent condition all the way from Thodupuzha to a place called Paaramada which is after Kulamaave. Paaramada-Cheruthoni-Kattappana the road surface is broken. there was a landslide near Idukki Collectorate(Painave), so the road is being re-done now.

from Kattappana to Kumily the road is good and it feels like we are driving in midland areas. Kattappana-Puliyanmala-Vandanmedu-Kumily route we took. Kumily town road widening works is going on? full of potholes.

total distance was around 142 kms from my place to the resort.
we visited Nadukani(Hilltop) Pavilion before Kulamaave. they have a telescope and entry fees of Rs10 per person. you can see Moolamattam town from this hilltop.
took around 5hours to reach Thekkadi through this route and I was driving sedately taking many breaks between. We had lunch at "Paappens restaurant, Cheruthoni" and the food was tasty and clean. will recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Also any update on other side, Cumban-Theni-Kumily-Mundakayam route. Adventurous, but 90kms less. Do you recommend the route especially in December?
while returning, took Thekkadi-Kumily-(KK road)-Vandiperiyar-Mundakkayam-Kanjirappilly-Erattupetta-Thodupuzha route.
the road is very bad filled with potholes between Kumily-Vandiperiyar and generally in KK road(NH220). there is a waterfall and a small bridge enroute nearing peruvanthanam IIRC(Murinjapuzha) which was in bad condition.
Kanjirappilly-Erattupetta road is also broken randomly.
google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/sZrnZ

Erattupetta-Thodupuzha road nearing Muttom town is totally broken. there is a detour nearing Erattupetta(Thekkekara) rejoining the town through broken narrow road.

I took KK road-Erattupetta-Thodupuzha route as it is faster and need to reach Thodupuzha in the morning. total distance till Thodupuzha from Thekkadi is 116kms through this route and took 3.15 hours to cover the distance as I was slowing down on all the potholes and broken surfaces throughout.. can be done in 2hrs45mins IMO. definitely faster route, but needs to negotiate bad roads in between.

there is a junction between Mundakkayam and Kanjirappilly called Paarathode. you can take a right turn and join at Pinnakkand(Erattupetta road). I inquired the road conditions there and the locals recommended entering Kanjirappilly town instead of going through Parathode-Pinnakkand rotue.

overall, I will still recommend KK road route than Thodupuzha-Puliyanmala state highway at present.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-1.jpg  

Last edited by deepclutch : 28th October 2013 at 23:51.
deepclutch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 10:12   #5914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Kanakkanoor is the end point in my map. (point B). Wikimapia shows this place correctly. Yes, I need to visit this place, and hence the deviation. Closest places named in google maps is Manappadam, padur/padoor etc. Visited here many years ago. Excellent village roads.
Okay, I got the place You're right about the excellent village roads. Narrow, but top notch surface.

Since you are driving from Bangalore, this would be a faster option:

http://goo.gl/maps/gssc2

I'm relying on denver85's suggestion on the Tirupur Inner Ring road stretch, as I usually take the Kangeyam route, which adds an additional ~10km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Kuthiran is in silky smooth shape
Great! What about Vaniyambara and Pattikkad areas?
Quote:
Btw, which route did you take while going this time?
NH47 & NH-7.
Old 29th October 2013, 10:41   #5915
Senior - BHPian

Trivandrum-kollam-Aleppy-Ernakulam-Thrissur-Palakkad road update

Last week I drove to Mudumalai from Trivandrum in a Bolero. The route was Trivandrum-Kollam-Aleppy-Ernakulam-Thrissur-Palakkad-Coaimbatore-Mettupalayam-Ootty-Masinagudi-Mudumalai.

The Mannuthy-Pattikad-Vaniyampara-Palakkad route is now in good shape and less traffic when compared to the previous months. It seems like the Govt. and the NH division is seriously working up on the potholes. also no speed cameras.

Palakkad - Walayar 2 lane road is a bit bumpy and confusing because of the works happening in terms of road widening.

When compared to the previous months The Trivandrum – kollam 2 lane road is getting back to its glory. Also the road widening is happening at kazhakoottam bottleneck.

Kollam - Aleppy 2 lane road is in good shape from kollam to Ambalapuzha , but few avoidable patches are there. From Ambalapuzha to Chertala the ride is bumpy because of the patches and few unpatched potholes.

From Chertala to Mannuthy (4 lane) is in very good condition except for the Aroor bridge single line traffic.
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 13:39   #5916
BHPian

Quote:
Attibelle-(right)-Palacode-Dharmapuri route, though a two lane highway, may save you considerable amount of time since the rush from Attibelle to Hosur may be very high due to Cracker shopping.
Hey, sorry man, I missed your reply. Thats a good option, if things are going to be like last time. Any means to get a live update? And how is this road?

Quote:
@Pramod: Kuthiran is in silky smooth shape
Thats good news!
Old 30th October 2013, 14:38   #5917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And how is this road?
Here is your answer
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 16:26   #5918
BHPian

Thanks, silversteed. Everything depends on the cracker crowd. Hopefully I can get to know the situation ontime and decide the route.
Old 30th October 2013, 18:22   #5919
BHPian

Got to Guruvayur from Cherai. The road is not great but not bad either, one could it at leisurely pace in about 1 3/4 hrs. Plan to drive back to B'lore via Pollachi -Kangayam(choondal,kechery,wadakanchery,chelakkara, pazhayannur,alathur,Kollengode). The locals here also confirmed this route is good with less traffic.
Cheers
Old 31st October 2013, 13:55   #5920
Senior - BHPian

Harthal at Alleppy from 6am to 6pm tomorrow.
Those who on long weekend travel, take care.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 14:04   #5921
BHPian

Ayyo, paniyayi. I will have to crawl from kanakkanoor to alleppey. Only in Alpy? What a coincendence! I'm visitng my howtown after 1 year and there is a harthal to welcome me :-( But alleppey is alleppey, cant complain !
Old 31st October 2013, 14:10   #5922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ayyo, paniyayi. I will have to crawl from kanakkanoor to alleppey. Only in Alpy? What a coincendence! I'm visitng my howtown after 1 year and there is a harthal to welcome me :-( But alleppey is alleppey, cant complain !
Yes, only for Alleppey, sponsored by LDF
Old 31st October 2013, 22:19   #5923
BHPian

Read about the horrible condition of Punalur-Aryankavu stretch from Sharon's thread.

Any maintenance/resurfacing happening, considering Shabarimala season is coming up?
Old 1st November 2013, 12:18   #5924
Senior - BHPian

Name:  ForumRunner_20131101_121614.png
Views: 2490
Size:  413.7 KB

Anyone taking BETL to exit Bangalore may be aware of long queue at toll booths. Better, take exit to Electronic city phase 2 and join back on Hosur road.
Old 1st November 2013, 12:39   #5925
Senior - BHPian

Now at Attibelle. Block from flyover begining itself. Better to take road below flyover.

Situation is not different after paying toll. Jammed due to cracker shopping.
Attached Images

Most Viewed