Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 07:41   #5941
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As Kala said, you don't save any distance. For a new route you can surely try and its scenic too. But do note, with family you dont find any place for breaks till Sathyamangalam. Hence my initial comment about avoiding this route, if you are driving with family.
Thanks, my next trip to Kerala is in Dec 1st week and I guess will stick to the NH209, more importantly we usually break at Chamarajnagar after an early morning start.
2 routes worth exploring for peolple going to Palakkad especially is the one mentioned above and the other I remember is from the Ooty entering into Kerala via Attapadi/Agali.
Old 5th November 2013, 07:57   #5942
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Thanks, my next trip to Kerala is in Dec 1st week and I guess will stick to the NH209, more importantly we usually break at Chamarajnagar after an early morning start.
Oh yes I forgot about this aspect too. You miss out on that decent hotel Nijaguna if you take the other SH.

Quote:
2 routes worth exploring for peolple going to Palakkad especially is the one mentioned above and the other I remember is from the Ooty entering into Kerala via Attapadi/Agali.
The Attapadi route option is also as per my opinion of the same kind as the SH we discussed. Very scenic but quite desolate. So if one is going without family, one can take it as an option. But even in that case solo drives, again I wont recommend. I am not very sure about the Attapadi road. So cant comment on it in great detail.
Old 5th November 2013, 09:12   #5943
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Thanks - I didnt know the Palakkad - Chalakudy stretch is good. When I had been there around Aug last week, there was major road widening work going on in the Palakkad - Thrissur stretch. I am surprised the work is over already !
I don't think the widening work is complete on Palakkad-Chalakudy stretch but the road has been patched up enough for it to be drive-able.
Kuthiran road work is complete and is pristine as per some recent reports
(Please see last 2/3 pages of the thread for various reports on the NH47 road conditions for Chalakudy-Palakkad-Coimbatore)
Old 5th November 2013, 12:59   #5944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Now at Attibelle. Block from flyover begining itself. Better to take road below flyover.
Situation is not different after paying toll. Jammed due to cracker shopping.
I live near HAL, so took, Marathahalli-Varthur-Gunjur-Sarajapur-Bagalur-Hosur route. Took exactly 2 hrs for this stretch. But the delay was entirely at Varthur. Negligible traffic in Hosur. This is on 31-Oct evening, 5pm-7pm. Roads are good except in the Sarajapur town. Heard from someone travelling by bus that it took 4 hrs for them to reach Hosur by the normal route.

Roads are good throughout, except from CBE bypass end to Alathur. But still manageable. Kuthiran is in very good condition.

Coolclouds, looks like we were returning at the same time. I was at Salem saravana bhavan at around 1.30pm, on Monday.
Old 5th November 2013, 14:21   #5945
Senior - BHPian

Did Kochi - Bangalore - Kochi.

Kochi - Trichur - Kuthiran - Palakkad - Salem - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore.

Started on Sunday 10 pm and Traffic was almost nil till Krishnagiri.

Returned on Monday via Kanakpura - Chamarajnagar - Gudalur - Vazhikadavu - Nilambur - Trichur.

Left Banshankari at 1pm. Some 4 kms after the first diversion to Ooty is in bad condition. Nadugani ghat is in bad shape though we had to drive little rash on that stretch.

Banshankari to Mannuthy toll was some 411 kms on this route and took 9 hours with four breaks/1+ hour.

IMO, Nilambur route is not in its best shape.
Old 5th November 2013, 14:56   #5946
BHPian

I am planning for a day trip to Nagarhole forest from Bangalore. Plan is to drive through the forest road slowly and hope for some wildlife sighting. Also I want to go for afternoon forest dept safari (3 PM / 4 PM). From G-maps, I got this road through the forest. Is this road in good condition? Also, I need to know the location of the forest dept office from where the safari starts. I plan to start from Bangalore at 7-00 AM and depart from Nagarhole from 5-00 PM or later depending on safari time & duration.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-kutta.jpg  

Old 5th November 2013, 15:04   #5947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I am planning for a day trip to Nagarhole forest from Bangalore. Plan is to drive through the forest road slowly and hope for some wildlife sighting. Also I want to go for afternoon forest dept safari (3 PM / 4 PM). From G-maps, I got this road through the forest. Is this road in good condition? Also, I need to know the location of the forest dept office from where the safari starts. I plan to start from Bangalore at 7-00 AM and depart from Nagarhole from 5-00 PM or later depending on safari time & duration.
The road is in average condition inside the reserve. This is my regular route to my hometown and last trip was done on 3 Nov. The roads from Hunsur to the Check post of the Reserve is in very good condition. After entering the reserve the the first 4-5 kms is good. After that there are numerous bad patches and speed breakers. Nothing much to worry there. The forest office is around 25 kms after the check post in the Hunsur side. The location is around here:http://goo.gl/maps/qqCTV
The safari timing is from 4 PM to 6 PM.

Last edited by denver85 : 5th November 2013 at 15:06.
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 16:28   #5948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning for a day trip to Nagarhole forest from Bangalore. Plan is to drive through the forest road slowly and hope for some wildlife sighting
If possible, try to reach the reserve gate by 6 AM and drive ahead- This would be the best time to spot some wildlife on the road. You could try for a morning safari , or if you manage to reach Tholpetty sanctuary(Kerala side) before 8 AM, you could try morning Jeep safari there, and spent some time in Thirunelli. While returning, you could come back to Nagarhole in time for evening Safari.
BTW this may not be the best season for wildlife sighting, as the under-shrubs must have grown thick courtesy the rains and would deny clear views. I had been on a safari last year same time, and returned without much sighting. The guard who accompanied us told us the same. Best season would be February-April, but some sanctuaries do close for a month or so in March-April.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 18:18   #5949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
If possible, try to reach the reserve gate by 6 AM and drive ahead- This would be the best time to spot some wildlife on the road. You could try for a morning safari , or if you manage to reach Tholpetty sanctuary(Kerala side) before 8 AM, you could try morning Jeep safari there, and spent some time in Thirunelli. While returning, you could come back to Nagarhole in time for evening Safari.
BTW this may not be the best season for wildlife sighting, as the under-shrubs must have grown thick courtesy the rains and would deny clear views. I had been on a safari last year same time, and returned without much sighting. The guard who accompanied us told us the same. Best season would be February-April, but some sanctuaries do close for a month or so in March-April.
I thought Tholpetty was in Wayanad? Can you please give me the route (Hunsur - tholpetti - Thirunelli - Nagarhole) in G-maps.
Old 5th November 2013, 18:50   #5950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought Tholpetty was in Wayanad? Can you please give me the route (Hunsur - tholpetti - Thirunelli - Nagarhole) in G-maps.
Here is the link

http://goo.gl/pWdBQk

Tholpetty is in Wayanad. Nagarhole forest office/safari point to Tholpetty WL sanctuary office will be around 15-20 kms. Thirunelli is another 15 odd km from here.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 13:42   #5951
BHPian

Requesting your help to choose the fastest route to Bangalore (Madivala) from Cherthala considering the present road conditions. Had to plan this trip on short notice and therefore starting early morning tomorrow (10th).
Old 9th November 2013, 14:08   #5952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
Requesting your help to choose the fastest route to Bangalore (Madivala) from Cherthala considering the present road conditions. Had to plan this trip on short notice and therefore starting early morning tomorrow (10th).
Take - Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur - Vyttilla - Cherthala. Kuthiran is in good shape now. Palakkad - Vadakkancherry has some interspersed potholes and 3 diversions near Kuzhalmannam.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 16:14   #5953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Take - Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur - Vyttilla - Cherthala. Kuthiran is in good shape now. Palakkad - Vadakkancherry has some interspersed potholes and 3 diversions near Kuzhalmannam.
This route will take you approx. 10 hours to reach electronic city fly over and then forever to your destination because of banglore traffic.
meisnutz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 20:26   #5954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Thanks lloydofcochin. plan to start by 8am tomorrow.

Hi meisnutz, Is there an alternate route somewhere to avoid getting stuck?
Old 9th November 2013, 20:34   #5955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post

Thanks lloydofcochin. plan to start by 8am tomorrow.

Hi meisnutz, Is there an alternate route somewhere to avoid getting stuck?
Target for a 4-5am start to beat the traffic. Once you cross Avinashi it should be an easy drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks