Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 07:53   #6046
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Guys.
How about the option of driving to Bangalore through Sathyamangalam ?

Any updates on the current state of roads?
The NH209 is a nice scenic route (2 lane though) so not the ideal one for a night drive. You may see heavy truck traffic in the Dimbam ghats but otherwise it does not have dense traffic. You will need to get to Annur near Avinashi to get onto this route. Roads in good condition on this route. You will reach Bangalore via Kanakapura for a change.

Last edited by NPV : 28th November 2013 at 07:56.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 08:21   #6047
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any updates on the current state of roads?
Its nice. But what I would suggest is avoid Trichur-CBE.

Trichur-Vadakkancherry-Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi-Pulliampatti/Annur and on to 209. Its much-much more stress free.

This way you also avoid going through CBE totally. But you average speed should be coming down due to 2-lane roads and ghats. (Compared to 4-lane)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 08:23   #6048
Senior - BHPian

If you do an early morning start, say at 4 AM, I would recommend the NH 209 route. It is very scenic, roads good for most stretch, and lesser traffic. No tolls for this road is just an icing on the cake.

Recently made a BLR-Coimbatore trip and I used this route both ways. Was absolute fun!
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 09:03   #6049
Senior - BHPian

A trip in the NH209 is a form of nostalgia, where there will be no dual carriageways, less use of horn, grains spread on road for husking, cattle walking and people squatting(early mornings). You will see some traffic in the daytime, so it will be tiring to get into and out of towns and villages on the way; but absolutely no vehicles in the night.

Having said that, it is not the smooth tarmac that it used to be. The sudden flash rains in the KA section has created an occasional pothole, so take this only if you are in no hurry and one(or the vehicle) is in a mood to drive through curves.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 09:23   #6050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The NH209 is a nice scenic route (2 lane though) so not the ideal one for a night drive. You may see heavy truck traffic in the Dimbam ghats but otherwise it does not have dense traffic. You will need to get to Annur near Avinashi to get onto this route. Roads in good condition on this route. You will reach Bangalore via Kanakapura for a change.
Thanks NPV.
I am not well versed with Bangalore.
My destination is near Domlur.

Have to consult the map for routing.

I do not want to use the normal route as I prefer a scenic drive than a straight cruise.

Thanks again.
I will most probably take NH 209
Old 28th November 2013, 11:09   #6051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I do not want to use the normal route as I prefer a scenic drive than a straight cruise.
Dhanush, if you can make it past Satyamangalam by the early hours of the morning, then you may get lucky and spot a few forest denizens
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 11:25   #6052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My destination is near Domlur.

I will most probably take NH 209
Well, the best option for you to get to Domlur would be via the IRR.

And with NH 209, you reach Bangalore via Kanakapura Road.

So the problem is connecting the two. Let us start with the options (for an outsider not familiar with Bangalore's roads):

1. Get onto NICE (pay toll - Rs. 60 for 18 km), exit, hit Hosur Road, Madiwala, turn to IRR.
2. Go under NICE, turn onto the ORR at JP Nagar, hit Silk Board junction and then Madiwala-IRR
3. Same as above till Silk Board, continue on ORR, exit at HSR to Koramangala and Sony World Junction, turn onto IRR.
- Any other?

Of the three, my preference would be (during weekday day time) the first one, but people more familiar with the traffic conditions can comment.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 11:41   #6053

Hi TBHPians,

Thank for all the inputs. I have taken everyones suggestions and finally decided on the route as below. This serves everyones purpose...

Onward Journey
BLR - Mysore - Gundlupet - Gadalur - Nilambur - Guruvayoor - Cherai
Total Distance - 491 Kms
Total Time - 10 Hrs

The reason I chose this route is for the fact that, 1. we have the time since we start at 6am, 2. The kids will be happy with the greenery and the wildlife that we may spot, & 3. this keeps my selfishness of wanting to capture some good snaps (hopefully).

We would want to stop at Gudalur for lunch. Any suggestions on a place? We are all non-vegies who love to try local food.

Return Journey
Cherai - Vadakencherry - Palakad - Avinashi - Salem - Dharampuri - Krishnagiri - Hosur - BLR
Total Distance - 558 Kms
Total Time - 10 hrs

The reason I chose this route on the return is for the fact that we would be travelling back on the 1st of Jan (Post a long New Year Party) and would prefer a saner route with lesser cribbing from the team.

We would want to stop at Palakad for Lunch. Any suggestions on a place? We are all non-vegies who love to try local food.

Thanks to all once again for giving me insights and helping me plan a good trip. As always TBHP Rocks... feels food to be here. And you can obviously look forward to a good photologue at the end of the trip.
Old 28th November 2013, 13:18   #6054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Dhanush, if you can make it past Satyamangalam by the early hours of the morning, then you may get lucky and spot a few forest denizens
No chance of crossing Sathyamangalam by early hours. I intend starting from Kochi by 6 AM only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Well, the best option for you to get to Domlur would be via the IRR.

And with NH 209, you reach Bangalore via Kanakapura Road.

So the problem is connecting the two. Let us start with the options (for an outsider not familiar with Bangalore's roads):

1. Get onto NICE (pay toll - Rs. 60 for 18 km), exit, hit Hosur Road, Madiwala, turn to IRR.
2. Go under NICE, turn onto the ORR at JP Nagar, hit Silk Board junction and then Madiwala-IRR
3. Same as above till Silk Board, continue on ORR, exit at HSR to Koramangala and Sony World Junction, turn onto IRR.
- Any other?

Of the three, my preference would be (during weekday day time) the first one, but people more familiar with the traffic conditions can comment.
Wow, that was quite elaborate.
Thanks a million. This should serve my purpose I believe
Old 28th November 2013, 14:02   #6055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon

No chance of crossing Sathyamangalam by early hours. I intend starting from Kochi by 6 AM only.
Dhanush, if you got much time and need a scenic drive, consider:

Kochi-Athirappally-Valparai-Pollachi-Palladam-Salem-Bangalore.

You will enjoy your XUV ride though its quite long (<600 km )
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 14:06   #6056
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Kochi-Athirappally-Valparai-Pollachi-Palladam-Salem-Bangalore.
Add to the fun...
Kochi-Athirappally-Valparai-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi-Annur-Sathyamangalam-Kanakpura-Bangalore
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 14:50   #6057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Add to the fun...
Kochi-Athirappally-Valparai-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi-Annur-Sathyamangalam-Kanakpura-Bangalore
Great!

By the time he reach Avinashi, he will not think of taking another two lane further
Old 28th November 2013, 14:52   #6058
BHPian

Quote:
Did NH 209 last Saturday while coming from Bangalore to Kochi. Good roads throughout. Have been taking this route for over a year now as I got bored of Salem-CBE route
I think you can try this route http://goo.gl/xPvrfX The only stretch that I have not done is Karumathampatti-Annur. Annur-Bangalore is fine with less traffic throughout, except while crossing towns of Satyamangalam, Chamrajanagar, Kollegal and Kanakpura. Only in Dhimbam ghat you will see some truck traffic.

Btw, ampere and coolclouds have given you some awesome options
gk_fiesta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 18:22   #6059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiesubbaiah View Post
We would want to stop at Gudalur for lunch. Any suggestions on a place? We are all non-vegies who love to try local food.
Once I have had lunch from Indian Coffee house at Gudalur only because I couldn't find any other better ones. The place was good / acceptable considering a town like Gudalur. Suggest wait for other Bhpians opinion if any other know hotel chains are available else you can settle with Indian coffee house.

Quote:
We would want to stop at Palakad for Lunch. Any suggestions on a place? We are all non-vegies who love to try local food.
Oottupuraa Family Restaurant will be a good option during return. The restaurant is less than 5 kms. before Walayar check post. Have an eye on to your right after 5 kms. from Kanjikode. This place have a good ambiance, tidy and worth for what you pay.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 21:42   #6060
Senior - BHPian

Visited Kottayam today from Muvattupuzha.
some Updates:
  1. took PM(Punalur-Muvattupuzha) road for onward journey(have to visit Pala) and it is in good condition. Thodupuzha-Pala road has some rough patches all over yet motorable fine.
  2. Kottayam-Muvattupuzha MC road is good and the horrific pothole filled areas just north of Kuthattukulam town is re-tarred. now Muvattupuzha-Kuthattukulam stretch is pothole free and good enough.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks