Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2013, 11:20   #6136
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Can somebody tell me the exact location of Nijaguna residency near Chamarajanagar? Thinking of taking the Kanakapura-Sathyamangalam-Annur route to drive to Palakkad from Bangalore. The last time I did this route, I didn't find *any* decent restaurant on the entire stretch until I hit CBE. More than a restaurant, I'm bothered about clean washrooms.
Old 9th December 2013, 11:46   #6137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Can somebody tell me the exact location of Nijaguna residency near Chamarajanagar?
This is from hotel website.
http://www.nijagunaresidency.com/contacts.html

Very easy to locate and there are some directions board also.
kavu75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 11:52   #6138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody tell me the exact location of Nijaguna residency near Chamarajanagar? Thinking of taking the Kanakapura-Sathyamangalam-Annur route to drive to Palakkad from Bangalore. The last time I did this route, I didn't find *any* decent restaurant on the entire stretch until I hit CBE. More than a restaurant, I'm bothered about clean washrooms.
Nijaguna scores on that front, if nothing else (the food quality wasn't all that great the times I went there).

This is the location: https://goo.gl/maps/C4uUF

When going from Bangalore: Pass through Chamarajanagar town, watch out for the KaSRTC bus station on your left. Beyond that, the town sort of thins down (you are about to exit the town). You will cross a Y junction, where you are one of the arms of the Y. The stem of the Y is towards Coimbatore, and the other arm is towards Gundlupet and NH 212. From here, continue along the road - you will see a turn to the left which has an arch on top (forgot what the arch says). Turn left, and Nijaguna is probably about 300m inside.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 12:18   #6139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
When going from Bangalore: Pass through Chamarajanagar town, watch out for the KaSRTC bus station on your left. Beyond that, the town sort of thins down (you are about to exit the town). You will cross a Y junction, where you are one of the arms of the Y. The stem of the Y is towards Coimbatore, and the other arm is towards Gundlupet and NH 212. From here, continue along the road - you will see a turn to the left which has an arch on top (forgot what the arch says). Turn left, and Nijaguna is probably about 300m inside.
This is what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Though I found the place in GMaps, I'm a bit apprehensive about it. At times, GMaps ask you to turn off from the middle of flyovers and bridges, and guide you to some nondescript place. Don't want to take chances as I'm not very familiar with this route
Old 9th December 2013, 12:25   #6140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
From here, continue along the road - you will see a turn to the left which has an arch on top (forgot what the arch says). Turn left, and Nijaguna is probably about 300m inside.
Quote:
This is what I was looking for. Thank you so much.
The other thing which I noticed is that right opposite the left turn you should see a court. That can also be a pointer.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 13:54   #6141
BHPian

One of my friends plan to go to Munnar from Chennai during the last week of december. Could someone please provide latest updates on road conditions and best route ? Any suggestion on accommodation options would also help.
Old 9th December 2013, 16:41   #6142
BHPian

Can someone give me an idea of how the weather is looking for south Kerala? Is it really cold in the morning and is there heavy fog etc? More specifically the Punalur/Kottarakkar/Chengannur area. Thank you in advance!
Old 9th December 2013, 19:01   #6143
BHPian

Quote:
When are you planning this trip? If anytime within this 10 days please share the status of road and your comments on Nijaguna residency. Usually I take Gudalur ~ Nilambur route to Thrissur for X-Mas vacation but this time I'm staying away from Nilambur due to the recent updates on this thread about the bad road condition at Ghats.
This will be my first time through Kanakapura - Sathyamangalam and I hope this will be a better alternate for Nilambur.

Thank you in advance!
Old 9th December 2013, 19:57   #6144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
When are you planning this trip? If anytime within this 10 days please share the status of road and your comments on Nijaguna residency. Usually I take Gudalur ~ Nilambur route to Thrissur for X-Mas vacation but this time I'm staying away from Nilambur due to the recent updates on this thread about the bad road condition at Ghats.
This will be my first time through Kanakapura - Sathyamangalam and I hope this will be a better alternate for Nilambur.

Thank you in advance!
This trip is being planned for Friday, depending on some work commitments I may start either early in the morning, or in the afternoon.

About a month ago, the road until the Bangalore city limits was bad. Beyond that it was good surface but had traffic, since I left Bangy at noon. There was a notably bad patch at the KA-TN boarder near Dhimbam. Otherwise it was a slow yet smooth drive all along.

Since you are headed to Thrissur, you can carry on to Pollachi from Annur, instead of merging into NH-47 at Karumathampatty. And from Pollachi, proceed to Vadakkenchery through Kollengode and Nenmara, and then merge into NH-47
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 22:04   #6145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Quoting your complete post in here. It would be good for many.

At night, its not worth detouring via Pollachi. Not because its unsafe. But more so because, you can lose your way if dont know where to turn.

At Avinashi once on the bypass, you get two main exits. One goes to Tiruppur. Most people mistake that as the main exit to Palladam and take that road. Its a good road and hence many dont realise. Though this road would also lead you Palladam, but, it will go via Tiruppur town. The next exit about 2 km ahead would directly lead you to Palladam. The issue with this road is that the first 2-3 km is quite bad. And that is mainly because of a railway over bridge construction. Beyond that its very good and nice. Also that road is called the road to Mangalam. Many identify it that way. If you ask for Palladam most folks would ask you to take the Tiruppur road!

Its logical that at night, you might have faced the bad road to Mangalam and retracted back to the GQ.
Thanks for doing this, but you are right sir! In fact when I asked for Mangalam, right by where the bridge is being built, they said the route is closed and please go back.

Also, to add to the earlier details, the following stuff I missed out.

1. Kanpur Jhansi is an excellent stretch. Only watch for Kalpi bridge in the evening (after 7 PM) for nasty traffic jams created by stupid truckers.

2. After Jhansi town, about 34 kms of road is uneven. It is not broken or anything, but the surface is uneven. Safe speed about 85 kmph. When close to Babina, safe speed maybe 60 kmph. (Jazz like vehicle)

3. After crossing Sagar, there are multiple overbridges being built with no signage whatsoever. You cannot identify the road there in the night. It is about 25 kms, but there are about 4 over bridges there. This starts near a sugar factory (large one with lot of tractors outside). Jazz had to backtrack couple of times. The road is full of sand and better to follow some vehicle (only one side of over bridge is open to both side traffic).

4. The road that takes to Hyd ORR is kind of tricky. It is a smaller road (width wise). Locals helped the drivers.

5. From BLR airport, followed taxi people till Hebbal and then caught hold of other taxi guy who was going to Majestic and trailed him.

6. Found that the TN registration busses (the green ones) to be either stupid or have no care for anyone. By far they were the worst from the stretch till Salem.

7. There is a toll road, where the toll is Rs. 31, somewhere near Coimbatore and I had to show the receipt at 4-5 booths. Each time, they checked it thoroughly. Maybe the UP plates of Jazz did not help. Weird!

8. Kerala road transport busses can efficiently negotiate traffic on the stretch between Palghat and Trichur. One I trailed made good speed, even to 88 kmph. That way I was able to negotiate the oncoming traffic between that stretch.
Old 11th December 2013, 00:39   #6146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphilip.iitk View Post
8. Kerala road transport busses can efficiently negotiate traffic on the stretch between Palghat and Trichur. One I trailed made good speed, even to 88 kmph. That way I was able to negotiate the oncoming traffic between that stretch.
I thought all buses plying in Kerala had to have speed governors that restricted their speed to 60kmph (or 70 ?). Or is this applicable only to private buses ?
Old 11th December 2013, 09:59   #6147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphilip.iitk View Post

7. There is a toll road, where the toll is Rs. 31, somewhere near Coimbatore and I had to show the receipt at 4-5 booths. Each time, they checked it thoroughly. Maybe the UP plates of Jazz did not help. Weird!
They check for all registrations. What you can do is hold the receipt to the windshield as you are passing by and they will not make you stop, roll down windows and show the receipt.
Old 11th December 2013, 10:53   #6148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I thought all buses plying in Kerala had to have speed governors that restricted their speed to 60kmph (or 70 ?). Or is this applicable only to private buses ?
The state buses also need to have speed governors. In fact Commissioner Rishi Raj Singh on a surprise visit to a depot found a few ksrtc buses without them and had them impounded!!
Old 11th December 2013, 13:53   #6149
BHPian

Guys, have anyone travelled from Bangalore to Cochin via Avinashi > Palladam > Pollachi > Valparai > Athirappilly > Chalakudy recently?

I am planning to take this route for onward journey during this holiday season (Dec 24). There will be 3 of us, myself, wife and our 3 year old daughter. We plan to leave by 5-5.30 AM.

These are the points i need some advice on:
1. I am concerned about the road conditions in the forest as i have a Zen which has one of the least GC.
2. My wifes concern is more about the wild animals in that route. Are there frequent encounters with elephants or other wild life? And what about the traffic?
3. Any decent eateries enroute since we have a toddler with us.

Any pointers will be helpful. I wanted to try a different and scenic route since i have time in hand this time. else most of the drives are confined to NH7/47.
Old 11th December 2013, 15:16   #6150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENnist View Post
1. I am concerned about the road conditions in the forest as i have a Zen which has one of the least GC.
I had done the same route in my Alto, though not recently (last year). Road condition is bad between Malakapara checkpost to place marked as Sholayar power house in Google Maps. However GC should not be an issue, just factor in more time for travel.
Quote:
2. My wifes concern is more about the wild animals in that route. Are there frequent encounters with elephants or other wild life? And what about the traffic?
Yes, KL side which I mentioned above is an elephant spotting zone. However chances of spotting elephants are less if you travel after 08.00 AM.
Traffic is very sparse.
Quote:
3. Any decent eateries enroute since we have a toddler with us.
Based on reviews on TBHP I had stopped at Annapoorna hotel at Perundurai, it is a clean place and would recommend the same.
Between Valparai and Vayachal I have not found any restaurants though.
Also, with a 5.30 start from Bangalore you will be able to reach Valparai around 03.00 PM. That means you will be reaching Athirapally past 06.00 PM, any delay and you can end up stuck.
If possible try to start bit early or better break the journey in Valparai for the night.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 11th December 2013 at 15:17.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks