Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 18:24   #6181
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Reached Nijaguna Residency, Chamarajnagar at 5:55am. The restaurant opens only at 6:30, so we took a nap inside the car itself, for about half an hour. It took them quite some time to get us some breakfast - two dosa and two coffees. At 200 rupees, it's a bit pricey for the quality, but there's no other option for food and restrooms on this route.
Yes, even I felt that Nijaguna is little pricey for the food quality but when travelling with family I don't think there is anyplace nearby which is that decent.

6.30 for breakfast? Isn't that a bit early? There is a new hotel in Annur which is this, I hope http://goo.gl/X40LA7 Not sure though, I don't remember the name. It is like a typical Saravana Bhavan, neat and clean. I think it is new. You would have taken the V-turn towards Neelambur from Annur town, but instead go little towards the Coimbatore road and this hotel is on the left side, barely 750 mts after the turn towards Karumathampitty.

Btw, did you go via Karumathampitti to Neelambur, as I see 2 other alternatives suggested by G Maps.
gk_fiesta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 21:32   #6182
BHPian

Quote:
This trip is being planned for Friday,
About a month ago, the road until the Bangalore city limits was bad.
I saw the update on your drive last week, thank you for that.
I'm staying in Kammanhalli and I'm planning to leave before 4AM, considering this time which will be the best route to reach NH 209?

Quote:
Since you are headed to Thrissur, you can carry on to Pollachi from Annur, instead of merging into NH-47 at Karumathampatty. And from Pollachi, proceed to Vadakkenchery through Kollengode and Nenmara, and then merge into NH-47
If I understand correctly, after Annur I should get onto SH 165 and continue on SH165 at Karumathampatti and join SH 19 at Kamanaikenpalayam and then continue to Pollachi, Kollengode, Nenmara. Please correct me I'm wrong.
Cheers!
Old 16th December 2013, 22:59   #6183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wondering if this could have been an alternative for you - Hotel Ramavilas at Sathy, maybe you can try it next time and share your review
Maybe. We normally carry sandwiches and coffee, so, it's only a maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_fiesta View Post
6.30 for breakfast? Isn't that a bit early?...
Btw, did you go via Karumathampitti to Neelambur, as I see 2 other alternatives suggested by G Maps.
Yea, 6:30 is a bit early for breakfast in normal course, but when you're up quite early, and when you have no hope of getting good food for the next couple of hours, it's okay

I took the SH-165 to join NH-47 at Karumathampatty, and then proceeded to Neelambur. Had taken this route before, and I knew the road condition. So I didn't bother exploring the other routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
I'm staying in Kammanhalli and I'm planning to leave before 4AM, considering this time which will be the best route to reach NH 209?
Kammanahalli - Banaswadi - Byapanahalli - Indiranagar - Domlur (Inner Ring Road) - Koramangala Sony World signal - Silk Board - BTM Layout - Kanakpura Road.

Since it's early in the morning, you can probably take any route. What I mentioned above is pretty straight forward, without many confusing turns.

Quote:
If I understand correctly, after Annur I should get onto SH 165 and continue on SH165 at Karumathampatti and join SH 19 at Kamanaikenpalayam and then continue to Pollachi, Kollengode, Nenmara.
Spot on
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 09:10   #6184
BHPian

Quote:
Spot on
I am planning to take Kochi-Vadakkenchery-Pollachi-Kamanaikenpalayam-Karumathampatti-Annur-Satyamangalam-Chamrajanagar-Kanakapura-Bangalore for my travel during end of this month.

Can you update on the road conditions for the Stretch 'Vadakkenchery-Pollachi-Kamanaikenpalayam-Karumathampatti-Annur'. I understand from the recent posts that the surface is good, but any first-hand reports would be great.

I will be leaving by around 0400 from Kochi and plans to cut across NH47 at Karumathampatti by 0900. Hope this is realistic, considering that this route is about 20kms extra than the Pkd-Cbe route but should be able to cover in shorter time.
Old 17th December 2013, 12:29   #6185
Senior - BHPian

i'll be travelling to Kerala this weekend for the holidays and i was wondering if anybody knows how the road condition is of the NH between Erode and Walayar. not sure if the road widening work of NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur is complete, so most probably will take the route via Shornur.
Old 17th December 2013, 13:45   #6186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_fiesta View Post
Can you update on the road conditions for the Stretch 'Vadakkenchery-Pollachi-Kamanaikenpalayam-Karumathampatti-Annur'. I understand from the recent posts that the surface is good, but any first-hand reports would be great.
Vadakkenchery-Pollachi is good surface. Since you would pass Vadakkenchery by 6:30, the traffic would be light. But you might have to endure some city traffic inside Pollachi town, especially at the signal near the bus stand. Beyond that, you shouldn't have any trouble, until you reach Chamarajnagar.

Quote:
I will be leaving by around 0400 from Kochi and plans to cut across NH47 at Karumathampatti by 0900. Hope this is realistic, considering that this route is about 20kms extra than the Pkd-Cbe route but should be able to cover in shorter time.
9 o'clock looks realistic to me. However, your progress towards Bangalore, especially after Sathyamangalam won't be as fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i'll be travelling to Kerala this weekend for the holidays and i was wondering if anybody knows how the road condition is of the NH between Erode and Walayar. not sure if the road widening work of NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur is complete, so most probably will take the route via Shornur.
Hawk, why would you want to go via Erode from Bangalore?

The road widening between Walayar and Thrissur is in progress. But no progress between Madukkarai and Walayar. The CBE bypass between Neelambur and Madukkarai is uneven but no potholes. I've updated the road condition a few posts above yours

A relative of mine who travels regularly between Palakkad and Thrissur opined that the NH-47 is less time consuming compared to the Ottapalam-Shornur route, because the latter is longer and has almost the same kind of traffic as the former.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 14:42   #6187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hawk, why would you want to go via Erode from Bangalore?

The road widening between Walayar and Thrissur is in progress. But no progress between Madukkarai and Walayar. The CBE bypass between Neelambur and Madukkarai is uneven but no potholes. I've updated the road condition a few posts above yours

A relative of mine who travels regularly between Palakkad and Thrissur opined that the NH-47 is less time consuming compared to the Ottapalam-Shornur route, because the latter is longer and has almost the same kind of traffic as the former.
will not be going through Erode, will be bypassing it. plan to take the following route:

Bangalore > Krishnagiri > Dharmapuri > Selam (bypass) > Coimbatore (bypass) > Walayar > Palakkad > Shornur > Thrissur (or take the NH47 to TCR from PGT bypass).

the above if the roads are good between Erode bypass till Palakkad. else, i will have to cut through Perundurai, cross the NH47 and reach Thrissur via Wadakancheri.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 17th December 2013 at 14:45.
Old 17th December 2013, 14:45   #6188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vadakkenchery-Pollachi is good surface. Since you would pass Vadakkenchery by 6:30, the traffic would be light. But you might have to endure some city traffic inside Pollachi town, especially at the signal near the bus stand. Beyond that, you shouldn't have any trouble, until you reach Chamarajnagar.
Is the railway overbridge at Somanur complete now ? The last time I travelled that way, it was still under construction and the detour at that place was a little bit messy - with that 2-3 kms taking almost 10 minutes+ to traverse. (This comes about 5 kms before you cross NH47 at Karumathampatti). Yes, the rest of the roads as fine.

Quote:
However, your progress towards Bangalore, especially after Sathyamangalam won't be as fast.
In my experience the traffic on NH209 till Malavalli is quite sparse most of the time - and even the Malavalli-Kanakapura stretch isn't too bad normally. It's only after you cross Kanakapura that you'll face reasonably high traffic that will slow you down.
Old 17th December 2013, 14:50   #6189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
will not be going through Erode, will be bypassing it. plan to take the following route:

Bangalore > Krishnagiri > Dharmapuri > Selam (bypass) > Coimbatore (bypass) > Walayar > Palakkad > Shornur > Thrissur (or take the NH47 to TCR from PGT bypass).

the above if the roads are good between Erode bypass till Palakkad. else, i will have to cut through Perundurai, cross the NH47 and reach Thrissur via Wadakancheri.

Nh 47 Between Palakkad and Thrissur is in good condition now. Vadakkencherry to Mannuthy is completely relaid. Hence no need to go via Shornur
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 15:23   #6190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO, Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy-Thrissur would be the fastest and smoothest option. You can also turn off the NH47 at Karumathampetty to go to Pollachi via Somanur, but there's a rough patch near the ROB diversion that Kala mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
... the detour at that place was a little bit messy - with that 2-3 kms taking almost 10 minutes+ to traverse. (This comes about 5 kms before you cross NH47 at Karumathampatti). Yes, the rest of the roads as fine.
Didn't find it that bad a month ago. I found worse patches at KG Chavadi and near Gowrishankar hotel after Madukkarai.

Quote:
In my experience the traffic on NH209 till Malavalli is quite sparse most of the time - and even the Malavalli-Kanakapura stretch isn't too bad normally. It's only after you cross Kanakapura that you'll face reasonably high traffic that will slow you down.
The buses and the many tractor-trailer contraptions slow you down during day time. This is based on my experience two months ago, when I'd started from Bangalore at noon time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Nh 47 Between Palakkad and Thrissur is in good condition now. Vadakkencherry to Mannuthy is completely relaid. Hence no need to go via Shornur
Do you know if they've started working on any flyovers between Vadakkenchery and Mannuthy?

OT: Good to see someone with the same name as mine

Last edited by silversteed : 17th December 2013 at 15:29.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 19:16   #6191
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know if they've started working on any flyovers between Vadakkenchery and Mannuthy?
No flyover construction happening between Vadakkancherry and Mannuthy. Its a smooth run now.
Recallers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 14:10   #6192
BHPian

Quote:
IMO, Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy-Thrissur would be the fastest and smoothest option.
I am planning to drive down to Thrissur from Bangalore on 23rd Dec 2013. Planning to leave Bangalore by 2AM early morning as i have to attend a function in Thrissur at 10.30AM. Would the above mentioned route be the best option to reach there on time? or should i take the route via coimbatore palghat? Planning to have just 1 break for breakfast. How would the traffic be on above said route if we reach Palladum by around 7AM or 8AM.

Its almost a year since i drove down to n from Thrissur. Kindly recommend the best option.

Last edited by srikant : 18th December 2013 at 14:14.
Old 18th December 2013, 14:19   #6193
BHPian

What is the latest update on Bangalore Calicut route.

Which is the best route to take (via points) and how are the roads in this stretch? Any information about the Ghat section, some time back it was totally broken.
Old 18th December 2013, 14:41   #6194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrub View Post
What is the latest update on Bangalore Calicut route.
Which is the best route to take (via points) and how are the roads in this stretch?
Roads are in good condition end to end.
The best route to take will be NICE road - Kanakpura - Kollegal - Chamarjnagar (NH 209) - Gundelpet - Sultan Batthery - Vythiri - Calicut (however there is a small stretch between Chamarajnar - Gundelpet where roads are bad).

If you would require food stoppages in between you can take SH 17 to Mysore and join Gundelpet via Nanjanguad. Road condition is good on this route also, however be prepared to take 180+ speed breakers.

You can get updated details of Bangalore - Calicut road from this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-query-21.html
Old 18th December 2013, 15:05   #6195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
I am planning to drive down to Thrissur from Bangalore on 23rd Dec 2013. Planning to leave Bangalore by 2AM early morning as i have to attend a function in Thrissur at 10.30AM. Would the above mentioned route be the best option to reach there on time? or should i take the route via coimbatore palghat? Planning to have just 1 break for breakfast. How would the traffic be on above said route if we reach Palladum by around 7AM or 8AM.:
Bangalore - Salem - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Nenmara - Vadakkenchery - Mannuthy - Thrissur

A month ago, I'd done Bangalore-Palakkad along the same route in about 6 hours with a short break for breakfast. So, it'll take you about 7-8 hours to reach Thrissur

Most Viewed