Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2013, 20:41   #6211
BHPian

Anyone has idea about road conditions of the route from bangalore to trivandrum via thenkasi? My friend needs to travel tomorrow.
Old 21st December 2013, 21:19   #6212
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Anyone has idea about road conditions of the route from bangalore to trivandrum via thenkasi? My friend needs to travel tomorrow.
I did this route last week on my Duke 390. The roads are as good as they get in most of India. Especially after Salem, all the way till Tirunelveli, very good highways. If you are planning to go through Punalur and then Trivandrum, take the right before Tirunelveli, DO NOT Enter Tirunelveli Town. There is a stretch about 10Kms inside that has no reason to exist on the face of the earth.

The roads from 'S valavu' till Punalur, it is broken and has some big potholes, so will have to drive slow. After Punalur, till Kottarakkara are decent roads, then it's MC road till TVM.

Other option is from Madurai, there is a single lane road all the way till Tenkasi, since it's peak Sabarimala season, there is gonna be a lot of paandi ayyapan vehicles. Besides, it's better to take the NH which might be an additional 40K odd but much faster and less stressful.

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 21st December 2013 at 21:39.
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 21:59   #6213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I can answer #1 above. Cbe-Walayar-Palakkad is very much doable without any trouble. CBE-Walayar is very rough, with some bad stretches near diversions, while Walayar-Palakkad is much better.
Just did the above stretch. Roads are really really bad. Full of pot holes - some of which even my Storme was cribbing about. But yes like you said strictly relatively speaking post Walayar is "better" than pre Walayar. Now I'm wondering whether Palakkad - Thrissur via NH47 would be similar or should I take any alternate routes ? I would not be driving beyond 60kmph but road surface is important since the Storme will be fully loaded with even the roof rail brimming with luggage !
Old 21st December 2013, 22:19   #6214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Just did the above stretch. Roads are really really bad. Full of pot holes - some of which even my Storme was cribbing about. But yes like you said strictly relatively speaking post Walayar is "better" than pre Walayar. Now I'm wondering whether Palakkad - Thrissur via NH47 would be similar or should I take any alternate routes ? I would not be driving beyond 60kmph but road surface is important since the Storme will be fully loaded with even the roof rail brimming with luggage !
Even I just did this yesterday. Coming from Pandalam to Hyderabad. When I went, I went through Tirunelvi, but coming back family was insisting I take the palakkad route. There is no road, it's not National Highway, it's a National Shame!! In the last week, I covered 2600K in the 4 south states and I'm ashamed to inform that Kerala has the worst NH roads in the south. Followed by Karnataka. Ironically these 2 states are the ones with the most speed cameras and with ridiculous speed limits. I don't get it, it's completely against laws of physics, how can you go fast with such horrible roads? Oh! I got it!! they catch you for the one and only 10 odd km good stretch where you are finally happy seeing some good roads

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 21st December 2013 at 22:23.
Old 21st December 2013, 22:35   #6215
Senior - BHPian

For those looking for smooth surface, please take Pollachi - Vadakkancherry - Trichur route. Its almost silky smooth throughout.

On NH47, L&T exit till Palakkad is bad. Always keep some safe distance in front to negotiate potholes. Palakkad - Vadakkancherry is better, Vadakkancherry - Trichur is smooth. CBE - Vadakkancherry will be bumpy even at 40kmph.

Any first timer, not pressed on time, may certainly try Pollachi route once. Its very smooth but two lane and may be time consuming. It is as fast as NH47 once used to it.
Old 21st December 2013, 23:57   #6216
BHPian

The road via bandipur is going to get closed. That's the road from Karnataka to kerala. Reason is that the wildlife there are getting disturbed and populating the areas towards kerala and eventually entering city. Due to vehicle disturbance.
That's what I heard and don't know if its true. If it's true then are there any alternative routes?
Old 22nd December 2013, 15:15   #6217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
For those looking for smooth surface, please take Pollachi - Vadakkancherry - Trichur route. Its almost silky smooth throughout. On NH47, L&T exit till Palakkad is bad. Always keep some safe distance in front to negotiate potholes. Palakkad - Vadakkancherry is better, Vadakkancherry - Trichur is smooth. CBE - Vadakkancherry will be bumpy even at 40kmph. Any first timer, not pressed on time, may certainly try Pollachi route once. Its very smooth but two lane and may be time consuming. It is as fast as NH47 once used to it.
you mean vadakkencheri(palakkad dist)?
Old 22nd December 2013, 17:03   #6218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
you mean vadakkencheri(palakkad dist)?
That is "W" na? I mean the one on NH47 (Trichur Dist)

Tomorrow I am doing Kochi - Bangalore and next day return. Planning to start at 5am and may take Pollachi route.
Old 22nd December 2013, 17:40   #6219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
The road via bandipur is going to get closed. [...] That's what I heard and don't know if its true.
Where did you hear this? Sounds like unsubstantiated rumour to me. Any links?
Old 22nd December 2013, 18:10   #6220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Where did you hear this? Sounds like unsubstantiated rumour to me. Any links?
That's what I said. I did not know if it was true. There's already a night ban on traffic through the reserve and few friends of mine were discussing alternate routes as they said in near future, the roads may be closed. It was hard to believe so I enquired here to know if it was true. As we all know the case is now in front of the SC. Rite from oct-13.
Old 22nd December 2013, 18:42   #6221
Senior - BHPian

Did Palakkad Thattekad via NH47, MC road and AM road. NH47 is bad by TN highway standards but far better than Cbe - Walayar. Hopefully the road relaying/widening is completed soon.
Old 22nd December 2013, 19:32   #6222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
That is "W" na? I mean the one on NH47 (Trichur Dist) Tomorrow I am doing Kochi - Bangalore and next day return. Planning to start at 5am and may take Pollachi route.
Nh47 is vadakkencheri and is in palakkad dist

The one you encounter while going via ottapalam shornur is Wadakancheri and is in Thrissur Dist.
Old 22nd December 2013, 20:11   #6223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Nh47 is vadakkencheri and is in palakkad dist

The one you encounter while going via ottapalam shornur is Wadakancheri and is in Thrissur Dist.
I thought districts other way, thank you for the correction. I usually differentiate them with V and W
Old 22nd December 2013, 20:23   #6224
BHPian

I am planning to go from Coimbatore to pattambi.

Can someone suggest the best possible route:

Coimbatore--> Pattambi
-------------------------------

Option 1: Coimbatore--> Pollachi--> alathur --> Pazhayannur --> Pattambi

Total Distance: 160Km.. From the review in this site this looks like the best possible route as per condition

Option 2: Coimbatore--> KG Chavadi --> Kozhinjampara --> Ealpully --> Palakkad --> Shoranur --> Pattambi
Total Distance: 125Km.. THis bypasses the worst CBE<>Walayar stretch but not sure of the chavadi to palakkad route.

Can someone help me with one of the above choices.. I will be planning to take early morning start in a sedan with low GC.

-Sunil
Old 22nd December 2013, 21:41   #6225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
That's what I said. I did not know if it was true. There's already a night ban on traffic through the reserve and few friends of mine were discussing alternate routes as they said in near future, the roads may be closed. It was hard to believe so I enquired here to know if it was true. As we all know the case is now in front of the SC. Rite from oct-13.
Well, KA's position (the main respondent) is that the night traffic ban is sufficient (they are the ones that implemented it administratively in the first place). They are willing to upgrade their side of the various alternate routes via Bavali/Virajpet/Gonikoppa etc.

KL's position is that the night traffic ban has to be lifted. This is also the position of the Ooty Hotels' Association. These two are the petitioners.

There are several other respondents (NGOs etc.), but I don't recall any of them going on record favouring a full 24x7 traffic ban.

So there is no reason for the SC to consider a full ban.

Most Viewed