Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2014, 19:13   #6436
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Personally for me,I take the Pollachi route(Perundurai-Kangayam-Palladam-Pollachi-Govindapuram-Kollengode-Pallassana-Alathur town-Pazhayannur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-NH47) .
Ranjit - Please help me here , google map showed me a route from Perundurai -Tiruppur and then to palladam .

Any idea of this route ? Do you suggest to take the Kangayam route ?

Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 19:21   #6437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Ranjit - Please help me here , google map showed me a route from Perundurai -Tiruppur and then to palladam .

Thanks

Dont take the route via Tiruppur.From perundurai go via Kangayam-palladam.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 25th January 2014, 22:32   #6438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post

Thanks
If you plan to take this route during day time, you can as well try Perundurai-Avninashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi. A small pain to be endured around Mangalam station due to railway over bridge construction. But otherwise a very good option.
Old 26th January 2014, 11:50   #6439
Senior - BHPian

Travelled to Devagiri(Kozhikode) yesterday and returned on the same day. 204kms one way. road conditions are good all the way.
started at 4.30AM from Muvattupuzha and reached Medical college junction at 8.10AM. it took 3.45 hours only due to vacant roads. while returning started at 2.30PM and reached around 7.15PM with heavy traffic all the way. but, we reached Thrissur by 5.20PM and then onwards it was slow driving. saw that speed cameras are installed in Malabar routes also.
took the Thalore-Ollur-west fort-punkunnam route in the morning and while returning took Punkunnam-Patturaikkal-cheumbukkave-eastfort-Kuttanellur-NH route.
Route:
Muvattupuzha-Thrissur-•Kechery-Akkikkavu•-Edappal-Kuttippuram-•Moodal-Kanjippura•-Changuvetty-Ramanattukara-Thondayad jn-Devagiri
took Kunnamkulam bypass through Kechery-Pannithadam-Akkikkavu which is in good condition but a bit bumpy drive.
also, at Moodal near Kuttippuram took the route to reach Kanjippura bypassing Valanchery. this route is narrow and bumpy road with no levelling done.
thanks for the route suggestions @ranjitp1 and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Hi,
what is the best route from Muvattupuzha to Devagiri near Kozhikode considering road conditions and traffic?

Google maps is showing
Muvattupuzha-Angamaly-Thrissur-Edappal-Ramanattukara bypass-Pantheerankavu-Devagiri is the route shown.
http://goo.gl/maps/8vGd7

Last edited by deepclutch : 26th January 2014 at 11:54.
deepclutch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 22:06   #6440
M35
BHPian

Did Palakkad -Rajakkad [near Munnar] today. Roads beyond Neriyamangalam is in bad state. After Iruttukanam the roads get worst all the way to Ellakkal via Kunchithanni.

Planning a Velankanni trip tomorrow. Planning an early morning start and hope the Bodimettu -Theni stretch is fine as the stretch was not open to traffic, few months ago due to the road widening work.

Any update on the Bodimettu-Theni stretch?
Old 28th January 2014, 11:23   #6441
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post

Planning a Velankanni trip tomorrow. Planning an early morning start and hope the Bodimettu -Theni stretch is fine as the stretch was not open to traffic, few months ago due to the road widening work.

Any update on the Bodimettu-Theni stretch?
Came back from velankanni
  • Theni -bodimettu in bad shape
    To velankanni the regular route via Thiruvarur is reccomended over the one via madinagudi
Old 28th January 2014, 22:48   #6442
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

For a trip to Calicut - weekday 2pm start (near Indiranagar) which of these would be better ?

a) Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamrajnagar (NH209)-Gundlupet
OR
b) Mysore (SH17 Mysore Road)-Nanjangud-Gundlupet
*Planning to take Koramangala-Silk Board-Hosur Road-NICE Road route so access to route a) or b) should not be an issue.

Prefer to avoid dense traffic, can compromise on food breaks, etc
Having traveled on the NH209 route earlier, I've almost decided on it but only concern being possibility of having to drive in evening hours/darkness.

May not be an issue if I can reach Gundlupet by 6 or 6.30pm, possible ?
Old 28th January 2014, 23:01   #6443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For a trip to Calicut - weekday 2pm start (near Indiranagar) which of these would be better ?

OR
*Planning to take Koramangala-Silk Board-Hosur Road-NICE Road route so access to route a) or b) should not be an issue.

Having traveled on the NH209 route earlier, I've almost decided on it but only concern being possibility of having to drive in evening hours/darkness.

For a 2 pm start , kanakpura route would be better. It typically takes 3.5 hours from nice road junction to gundlepet via kanakpura. So if you exit nice road by 2.30 - 3 you should be able to reach gundlepet by 6-6.30.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 23:15   #6444
Distinguished - BHPian

With a 2 PM start You will cross Gundulpet before dark. Also, road towards Gundulpet is bit bad, Will be better to cross it before dark else too.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 00:38   #6445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

OR

2PM Indiranagar,you would be able to easily reach Gundlupet by 6 on either of the routes IMO.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th January 2014 at 12:18.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 08:56   #6446
Senior - BHPian

Did Kochi - Bangalore yesterday.

Kaloor - Mannuthy - (NH47) - Avinashi - Edappadi - Jalakandapuram - Nangavalli - Mecheri - Thoppur - Palacode - Rayakottai - Hosur - Bangalore.

The infamous Palakkad - Walayar - Coimbatore is patched up and can be done easily though surface not smooth.

Edappadi - Mecheri - Thoppur SH is in good shape. Palacode route also patched up and good for speeds ~80-90 kmph.

I was traveling with my 6 months old daughter and preferred interior roads for wayside stop/shade.

Distance from Kaloor to Electronic city was 520 km and tolls at Trichur, L&T, Chengampalli, Thoppur and Attibelle.

Present widening work status between Vadakkancheri and Alathur:
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-20140128_102230.jpg  

coolclouds is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 09:15   #6447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did Kochi - Bangalore yesterday.

Kaloor - Mannuthy - (NH47) - Avinashi - Edappadi - Jalakandapuram - Nangavalli - Mecheri - Thoppur - Palacode - Rayakottai - Hosur - Bangalore.

Distance from Kaloor to Electronic city was 520 km
Isn't this our good old Mettur route? Not tried in recent past at all.

What is the overall feedback in terms of traffic & roads? Worth trying in my upcoming drive?
Old 29th January 2014, 09:38   #6448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Edappadi - Mecheri - Thoppur SH is in good shape. Palacode route also patched up and good for speeds ~80-90 kmph.
Nice one. Where did you exit the 4-lane beyond Bhavani? Was it Sankari? Good one in the sense it also avoids Mettur totally.

To totally avoid the 4-lane you can also do :

Mecheri-Pennagaram and the come towards Dharmapuri and latch on the Palacode road to Hosur.

Last edited by ampere : 29th January 2014 at 09:40.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 12:52   #6449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Mecheri-Pennagaram and the come towards Dharmapuri and latch on the Palacode road to Hosur.
How is the condition of the Mecheri - Pennagaram route? Have not taken this route but have taken the Palacode route to reach Thoppur when the 4 laning of Krishnagiri - Salem was in progress.
Old 29th January 2014, 13:03   #6450
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
How is the condition of the Mecheri - Pennagaram route? Have not taken this route but have taken the Palacode route to reach Thoppur when the 4 laning of Krishnagiri - Salem was in progress.
Have not taken it recently. Had drive through a couple of years back. But have no reason to believe that the conditions would have changed. Traffic is low mostly and its mostly village traffic.

Over all easy road to drive. At around a couple of villages you can see some twists. But the road in general was very nice. Green fields and at many places trees on both sides of the road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed