Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2014, 21:27   #6466
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Pollachi-Thathamangalam-Koduvayur-Kuzhalmannam-Kottayi-Mankara- Ottapalam (and as mentioned by silversteed above)
Choke points on this route: Thatthamangalam town, Pudunagaram (can get nasty at times, especially at a narrow bridge a few hundred metres after the signal), Koduvayur (pray that some vegetable loaded lorry doesn't decide to unload right on the main road, which happens often). Koduvayur-Kuzhalmannam-Kottayi-Mankara is good. Especially the stretch after Kuzhalmannam - pretty wide roads, very good surface and sparse traffic, comparatively.
Quote:
Koppam-Valanchery is a little rough in some places.
Are you talking about the small stretch near Thiruvegappura? it's not as bad as those hairpins before Mannarkad, was it? My information is from Dec 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How about Palakkad-Ottapalam-Churukara-Angadipuram-Malappuram

That bypasses Perinthalmanna and gets you on NH213 again. How are the roads around Pattambi-Perinthalmanna these days? No idea on that.
Haven't tried that, Amp. So I cannot comment.

Last edited by silversteed : 1st February 2014 at 21:29.
Old 1st February 2014, 21:51   #6467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How about Palakkad-Ottapalam-Churukara-Angadipuram-Malappuram

That bypasses Perinthalmanna and gets you on NH213 again. How are the roads around Pattambi-Perinthalmanna these days? No idea on that.

I have not used Cherukara route yet.
I have driven through Perinthalamanna - Pattambi on my way from Bangalore to Thrichur during last years peak monsoon (July). The roads were good and widening work was on progress close to Pattambi ( this is completed now). The roads were crowded, but then it was morning between 10 and 11 which will be the case at any small towns.
Old 1st February 2014, 22:15   #6468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Choke points on this route: Thatthamangalam town, Pudunagaram (can get nasty at times, especially at a narrow bridge a few hundred metres after the signal), Koduvayur (pray that some vegetable loaded lorry doesn't decide to unload right on the main road, which happens often). Koduvayur-Kuzhalmannam-Kottayi-Mankara is good. Especially the stretch after Kuzhalmannam - pretty wide roads, very good surface and sparse traffic, comparatively.

Are you talking about the small stretch near Thiruvegappura? it's not as bad as those hairpins before Mannarkad, was it? My information is from Dec 2013.

Guess I was lucky. Did not get delayed at any of this points. I found the koppam valanchery stretch a little rough and uneven as compared to the smooth roads before and after this stretch. But taken by itself it's not bad at all. Haven't taken the mannarkad route in the recent past. So cannot compare.
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:32   #6469
Senior - BHPian

Had driven on Koppam-Valanchery last weekend. Yes, it had intermittent stretches of rough and smooth roads. It is not as good after you cross into Palakkad district from Thiruvegappura bridge.

Had driven from from Vattathani (near Tirur) to Cherpulassery, Palakkad and back. Onwards drive was via Vailathur-Kalpakanchery-Puthanathani-Valanchery-Koppam-Cherpulassery. Vattathani-Vailathur-Puthanathani road is getting upgraded. First layer of asphalting is complete till Vailathur and work is going on the stretch from Vailathur to Puthanathani. Road is still potholed in this stretch. Puthanathani to Valanchery NH17 is in pristine condition. As usual, at the infamous Vattappara curve, saw a badly mangled scorpio which had met with an accident. Valanchery to Koppam has interminent bad and good stretches. Beyond Koppam till Cherpulassery, road was horrible- very uneven and with lot of unmarked speedhumps and potholes.
While returning, came via Thutha-Perinthalmanna-Malappuram-Kottakkkal-Edarikode-Vailathur-Vattathani. This route was around 9km more the koppam route, but had excellent roads throughout. Cherpulassery to Thootha had rough roads, but no potholes. Thottha bridge onwards, excellent mcadam roads till Perinthalmanna. Then on , NH 213 till Malappuram is in pristine condition. Being sunday, traffic was also less. Malappuram to Kottakkal-edarikode has always been good. Edarikode to Vailathur is getting a fresh coat of asphalt. All in all, I can say now that Malappuram district has some of the best roads in North Kerala.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 18:22   #6470
BHPian

Did a trip to Palakkad and back yesterday on NH47. Road and traffic conditions are almost the same as before.
Edappally to Aluva: Metro work is on with continuous flow of traffic through the available 1 or 2 lanes ( without any major blocks ).
Road widening work in progress from Nadathara to Wadakkanchery.
Wadakkanchery to Chandranagar Jn is mainly unmaintained roads with occasional potholes. Flyover work is going on at Chandranagar Jn.

A new trend noticed during the afternoon return trip between Alathur and Mannuthy is that there is an increased tendency among the Oncoming traffic doing unsafe overtaking. Sometimes, it is a two lane convoy which is approaching on to you, there is no width to pass the oncoming traffic. Head light flashing has to done almost continuously and at times had to keep the headlights continuously ON. Even then, some of them don't budge. During some occasions had to completely stop and stay put at a safe distance for them to budge.
Yes, it is a dangerous situation !
These erring vehicles are mostly Private and KSRTC buses and a very few private cars.

Private car traffic was heavy between Mannuthy and Edappally Jn. as it is a Saturday evening.
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:08   #6471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrac View Post
Road widening work in progress from Nadathara to Wadakkanchery.
Wadakkanchery to Chandranagar Jn is mainly unmaintained roads with occasional potholes. Flyover work is going on at Chandranagar Jn.
Are you sure that the stalled 4-laning work has re-started between Nadathara and Vadakkenchery? 4-laning was on in full swing between Vadakkenchery and Walayar, rather
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:29   #6472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Are you sure that the stalled 4-laning work has re-started between Nadathara and Vadakkenchery? 4-laning was on in full swing between Vadakkenchery and Walayar, rather
Although not so sure, remember seeing some activities on some parts of this section. But not at all hectic !
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:09   #6473
BHPian

Returned from a quick Bangalore - Kottayam round trip. Though there were minor blockages and the usual rough patches before Walayar- road condition is much improved from the horror state it was a few months back. With a 2am start it took 9 and half hours of driving time without touching 100 kmph on the speedo
Old 4th February 2014, 11:51   #6474
BHPian

Hello Team - Planning to drive from Chennai to Cochin tomorrow and planning to take the Walayar - Palakkad route after reading last few updates. Is there any more suggestions / advice /caveats from recent travelers on this route ? I have been using the Palladam - Pollachi route all these years and just wanted to double check on the walayar route before finalizing it. Thanks in advance for your feedbacks
Old 4th February 2014, 12:08   #6475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Hello Team - Planning to drive from Chennai to Cochin tomorrow and planning to take the Walayar - Palakkad route after reading last few updates. Is there any more suggestions / advice /caveats from recent travelers on this route ? I have been using the Palladam - Pollachi route all these years and just wanted to double check on the walayar route before finalizing it. Thanks in advance for your feedbacks

Walayar route is in reasonably good shape. You may take a final call depending on your time of travel.
Old 5th February 2014, 00:01   #6476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

Walayar route is in reasonably good shape. You may take a final call depending on your time of travel.
Thanks coolclouds. I will be crossing walayar mostly by 7-8 pm. Hope there wont be heavy traffic.
Old 5th February 2014, 08:47   #6477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv

Thanks coolclouds. I will be crossing walayar mostly by 7-8 pm. Hope there wont be heavy traffic.
Chances of block at Walayar is distant but I think the lorry/bus traffic towards Coimbatore will be high during that time. I think Pollachi route may be less tiring among two.
Old 5th February 2014, 10:29   #6478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team - Planning to drive from Chennai to Cochin tomorrow and planning to take the Walayar - Palakkad route after reading last few updates. Is there any more suggestions
Quote:
I will be crossing walayar mostly by 7-8 pm. Hope there wont be heavy traffic.
I would suggest that you stick to the Palladam-Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakkenchery route. Since you mentioned that you'll be passing Walayar at around 7-8pm, there will be much higher traffic at that time of the day, compared to the Pollachi route which offers a smooth surface all along.

However, if you only want to try the Walayar route, you can do it on your way back (assuming you'll drive back to Chennai also)
Old 5th February 2014, 10:41   #6479
Senior - BHPian

Don't take risk with Walayar for a few more days. 4 laning work on the stretch on currently and the lorries have been moved from the green channel to the main road. Till now there has not been any major problems, but you never know. Better avoid at least for the next 10 days
mallumowgli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 11:08   #6480
BHPian

Need quick help for a friend who is in Vythiri who needs to reach Vadanapilly, prefer to avoid the regular Calicut highway due to traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks