Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2014, 13:26   #6526
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Any updates please? as I have to travel tonight.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3363955

Please refer this for recent updates. Road seems to be patched up but you cannot manage good speeds due to bad road surface.
Try to avoid Nagercoil - Trivandrum during peak hours. What time are you starting from Bangalore? What is your final destination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Pramodpk's update on another thread as on 3rd Feb:

"The NH 47 between Nagercoil and Trivandrum is broken and has heavy traffic. Avoid this route during peak time."

I left Trivandrum after 9pm last year and the traffic was less.
Thanks for bringing this up.
Old 26th February 2014, 14:05   #6527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Any updates please? as I have to travel tonight.
The road from Kavalkinar till Kaliyikkavilai is in bad shape. There are patch works being done, but still its in bad state.

Regarding traffic, plan to reach Kavalkinar at off peak timings, else, there will be very heavy traffic. Ideal timing would be between 11 PM and 5 AM.

When i made the trip, reached Kavalkinaru by around 11.30 AM and could reach Trivandrum only just before 3 PM.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 17:30   #6528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satran View Post
Any recent update on the Gundlepet-Gudalur-Nadugani-Nilambur stretch
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Gundlupet to KA-TN border is okay. In TN the forest stretch is in horrible state. After that, the road is patchy upto Nadugani. Beyond that some bad patches, but overall good roads. Beyond Vazhikkadavu, great roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Horrible => completely unmotorable? I was planning to take this route for a trip to Kochi in April/May during the summer vacations.
Hot update on this stretch. Just drove down from Bangalore to Tirur via Nilambur. Road Conditions:

Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlepet-Theppakadu: Great roads, Starts becoming slightly rough just after the KA-TN border.
Theppakdu-Gudalur: 3-4 extremely bad stretches of maybe 100mtrs each, In general a little rough and broken. But by no means un-motorable. Just need to be careful over the totally bad stretches.
Gudalur-TN/KL Border in the Nadugani Ghats: Great roads. In general some patchworks has been done and the ghat section on the TN side has been completely relaid. So it is a smooth drive now
KL side of Nadugani Ghats: Quite patchy, but manageable, no really bad sections.
Vazhikadavu Onwards: Great roads with a good amount of traffic.

Last couple of times, I took the Calicut route fearing the bad sections. But after today's drive, I see no reason to take any other route when going to places in Malappuram Dt. The bad sections are minimal and manageable. Left Bangalore at 4.45 AM and reached Tirur at 1.30 PM with an hour of breaks. For a change, did not get stuck in any of the towns on the Kerala side.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 22:20   #6529
BHPian

Hi Guys, need help in planning a ride from B'lore -> Pollachi -> Valparai -> Chalakudy -> Thrissur -> B'lore.

Total of 8 bikes, starting off this Saturday morning and targeting Pollachi.

1. This is the route we have planned :
Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Thoppur -> Mettur -> Bhavani -> Avinashi -> Tiruppur -> Pollachi

a. Do we cross the Thoppur Ghat to head towards Mettur or is it before the ghat?
b. How good is the road leading from Thoppur -> Mettur -> Bhavani -> Avinashi -> Tiruppur -> Pollachi?

2. Came across this place 'Top Slip' and would like to know the following :

1. Are bikes allowed? (Read somewhere that bikes are not allowed after Sethumadai)
2. How good is this place for a stay and what would be the cost? (I tried calling the number on their site, but no response). Please suggest the stay options.
3. How good are the roads?
4. What would be the best route and any permits required?
5. Route from Top Slip to Valparai please.

Please do add any additional information.

Cheers
Avi
Old 26th February 2014, 22:43   #6530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
1. This is the route we have planned :
Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Thoppur -> Mettur -> Bhavani -> Avinashi -> Tiruppur -> Pollachi
Is it because of biking that you want to go via Mettur?

Because if not the time and tested route :
Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Perundurual-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi.

Quote:
a. Do we cross the Thoppur Ghat to head towards Mettur or is it before the ghat?
b. How good is the road leading from Thoppur -> Mettur -> Bhavani -> Avinashi -> Tiruppur -> Pollachi?
Quite some truck traffic on the Mettur road. Mettur-Bhavani is very good.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 23:21   #6531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is it because of biking that you want to go via Mettur?
Nope, just trying to avoid entering Salem and also on the way back, planned to take the normal Salem route.

Just curious - why go to Perundurai -> Kangayam -> Palladam?

Is the road leading from Perundurai -> Tiruppur -> Palladam, in bad condition?
Old 26th February 2014, 23:22   #6532
Senior - BHPian

Planning for BGLR - Chalakudy trip on March 6th

Start : 4:30 PM from HSR Layout
Passengers - me/wife/5 yr old kid/5 month old kid on his first long drive
Vehicle - Ritz vxi

CBE till Mannuthy will have Highbeam morons (thanks Silversteed for this nice term) and I hate them. Alternative option is the Palladam -pollachi - Nemmara route; but will be almost deserted with not much stop options if there is a need (I am travelling with a new born, so had to consider that)

Not able to decide which one to choose, I am inclined towards the CBE route due to better stop options. Need your help

Coolclouds, did you do any special planning for your recent COK - BGLR trip with your 6 month old?

Did anyone drive the Omallur- Sankari (SH86) recently? How is the road condition?
Old 26th February 2014, 23:37   #6533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just curious - why go to Perundurai -> Kangayam -> Palladam?
The pain is crossing Tiruppur. If you are aware how to go through, thats fine. I have always found crossing Perundarai/Kangeyam much easier. Hence mentioned that aspect.
Old 26th February 2014, 23:59   #6534
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Planning for BGLR - Chalakudy trip on March 6th

Start : 4:30 PM from HSR Layout
Passengers - me/wife/5 yr old kid/5 month old kid on his first long drive
Vehicle - Ritz vxi
I would suggest to start early and drive relax and safely. With two kids, and not being comfortable with high beam idiots (my favorite), morning drive would be recommended. Also note you would be crossing Hosur, Salem in peak hours, can take away 1 hour easily.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 00:31   #6535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
I would suggest to start early and drive relax and safely. With two kids, and not being comfortable with high beam idiots (my favorite), morning drive would be recommended. Also note you would be crossing Hosur, Salem in peak hours, can take away 1 hour easily.
Unfortunately I dont have that option of starting early this time. Otherwise I always start at 4 AM
How deserted can Perundurai - Kangeyam -pollachi route be between 9pm to 1 AM?

Quote:
Nope, just trying to avoid entering Salem and also on the way back, planned to take the normal Salem route.
Why dont you try the Omallur - sankari SH86? I took this route an year back and experience was very good. Saves 2 tolls and 10km with good roads. PLanning to take during next weeks trip also to beat the evening Salen traffic.

Last edited by arjithin : 27th February 2014 at 00:34.
Old 27th February 2014, 07:35   #6536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin

Coolclouds, did you do any special planning for your recent COK - BGLR trip with your 6 month old?
No special plannig as such. Since its his first long trip, strictly no zig zag driving/hard braking. Make it as easy as possible. Carry a soft pillow and he will comfortably sleep on that. You may have to drive with cabin light on, be prepared for that.

I think you too don't have sunfilm so carry a towel, it helps. In addition, carry food, hot water, dress, wipes, diapers, towels.. mothers know the list better than us!

Wish you a very happy and safe journey.

Me too planning a trip on 6th evening or 7th morning with baby.

Last edited by coolclouds : 27th February 2014 at 07:45.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 08:22   #6537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
strictly no zig zag driving/hard braking. Make it as easy as possible. Carry a soft pillow and he will comfortably sleep on that. You may have to drive with cabin light on, be prepared for that.

I think you too don't have sunfilm so carry a towel, it helps. In addition, carry food, hot water, dress, wipes, diapers, towels.. mothers know the list better than us.

Strictly no zig zag driving.
And in addition to what coolclouds said, also carry a few toys which can keep him busy for sometime.
It's always recommended to keep the mother and kid on the rear seat even if this makes you look like a chauffeur. That's ok.

If the car has space, carry a few pillows/quilt/bed sheet and make a bed for the baby on the rear seat.

Carry lots of water.
Water for drinking and water for cleaning
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 09:48   #6538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning for BGLR - Chalakudy trip on March 6th...
CBE till Mannuthy will have Highbeam morons (thanks Silversteed for this nice term) and I hate them. Alternative option is the Palladam -pollachi - Nemmara route; but will be almost deserted with not much stop options if there is a need (I am travelling with a new born, so had to consider that)
Quote:
How deserted can Perundurai - Kangeyam -pollachi route be between 9pm to 1 AM?
Please stick to the Avinashi-CBE-Walayar-Mannuthy route. Perundurai-Kangeyam-Pollachi route will be deserted (can't emphasize more). Except those small junctions, you won't find a soul for the most part of the stretch.

Coolclouds and dhanushmenon have provided you almost all the tips for a drive with a toddler. And I strongly suggest that you keep it smooth all along, no hard braking or acceleration and abrupt direction changes.

Have a safe trip
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 10:29   #6539
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Coolclouds, Dhanushmenon and Silvesteed. I will stick on to the CBE route.

I have a baby car seat and baby will in it most of the time. Baby and mother will be in the rear seat and 5.5 yr old daughter will be in the front seat with a booster car seat. SInce VXi variant dont have an airbag, I can keep my elder one in the front seat.

Chose night driving primarily to avoid the harsh sun and with the hope that the baby will sleep most of the time.

List of items to carry - yes mom's know it better than us. Whatever you mentioned are already in the list. For rear seat lighting, I am planning to take a table lamp type emergency lamp with me so that it can be kept between the front seats and light can be directed to rear side. The LED one I have will stay ON for 7-8 hours, so that should work.

Quote:
Me too planning a trip on 6th evening or 7th morning with baby.
PM me if you are starting 6th evening. A company is always better...

Last edited by arjithin : 27th February 2014 at 10:32.
Old 27th February 2014, 11:24   #6540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Coolclouds, Dhanushmenon and Silvesteed. I will stick on to the CBE route.

I have a baby car seat and baby will in it most of the time. Baby and mother will be in the rear seat and 5.5 yr old daughter will be in the front seat with a booster car seat. SInce VXi variant dont have an airbag, I can keep my elder one in the front seat.

Chose night driving primarily to avoid the harsh sun and with the hope that the baby will sleep most of the time.

List of items to carry - yes mom's know it better than us. Whatever you mentioned are already in the list. For rear seat lighting, I am planning to take a table lamp type emergency lamp with me so that it can be kept between the front seats and light can be directed to rear side. The LED one I have will stay ON for 7-8 hours, so that should work.

PM me if you are starting 6th evening. A company is always better...
Since you plan to leave in the evening, i would suggest you to stick to NH all the way. There are options like going via Rayakottai and Palacode, Omalur, Tharamangalam to by pass Krishnagiri and Salem. These roads can be deserted in the night. In the event of any emergency, you will be all alone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks