Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2014, 18:08   #6616
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Thank you silversteed, amp and coolclouds.

Very valid point from silversteed on dangerously driving private buses, and from ampere on Walayar traffic. During early 90's, I did my Engineering project in Walayar cement factory and I used to think ONE DAY the situation on that road will improve. Guess we have to wait for a few more decades.

coolclouds, did you end up at the backwater after taking the diversion? What happened after that? :-).

Please assist me in staying at a good hotel in TVM (Where to stay?). Need to visit Padmanabha Swamy teample and museum. Also, where to stay in Kanyakumari, and vegetarian restaurants while coming back to Bangalore from there.
Old 24th March 2014, 18:12   #6617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd

coolclouds, did you end up at the backwater after taking the diversion? What happened after that? :-).
That mud road is the diversion and lake snap is in Kumarakom. I wanted to post another snap but a scenic mistake.

What is your budget?
Old 24th March 2014, 18:23   #6618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
That mud road is the diversion and lake snap is in Kumarakom. I wanted to post another snap but a scenic mistake.

What is your budget?
Now I feel better. But, how can that mud road can be a valid diversion? At least some surfaced road should have been there.

Budget: About 7,000 INR, preferably. Can stretch a little more, if it results in a pleasant experience, as I don't know when else I will be visiting that place. Dont want to cut too many corners.

Also, please, suggest a stay in Kanyakumari.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 24th March 2014 at 18:29.
Old 24th March 2014, 18:54   #6619
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Also, please, suggest a stay in Kanyakumari.
Kanyakumari:
Hotel Sea View - ask for sea facing room. Very close to the Boat/Ferry point.

Vivekananda Kendra - have their own private beach at the back of the property.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 19:12   #6620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post

Please assist me in staying at a good hotel in TVM (Where to stay?). Need to visit Padmanabha Swamy teample and museum. Also, where to stay in Kanyakumari, and vegetarian restaurants while coming back to Bangalore from there.
I toured Kerala last week. Started from Chennai and covered places such as Munnar, Cochin, Allepey, Trivandrum, Kanyakumari and Thirunelveli.

In case you need details on the above mentioned places, please let me know.

With regards to hotel in Trivandrum - I stayed in a place called Hotel Pankaj which is very close to Padmanabha Swamy temple. It is a little old hotel, but offered a very clean and spacious room with an excellent complimentary Breakfast. I would recommend that hotel to you.

Also, don't miss Kovalam beach which is on the way to Kayakumari. And in Kanyakumari, a visit to Thiruvalluvar statue and Vivekananda mandapam is a must do activity. Also, visit Thiruveni Sangamam for its geographical value and importance.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 19:16   #6621
Senior - BHPian

Hotel South Park was good in Trivandrum and Vivanta available for 5-6k. Last week I saw a new hotel near Thampanoor which looked new and good (IIRC somewhere opposite to Hotel Horizon) No idea about other new hotels. I will try to find that one.

Last edited by coolclouds : 24th March 2014 at 19:18.
Old 24th March 2014, 19:26   #6622
BHPian

Self-Drive Option in Trivandrum

Hi, I'm going to Trivandrum for a week and also planning a trip to Kodaikanal. Was wondering if any one have used any Self-Drive options in Trivandrum and if so the contact details.
I've got one such info online: Romeo Cars. Wanted to know if any good viable options are available or not. Please advise.
Old 24th March 2014, 20:45   #6623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Take the NH47 all the way to CBE.
- Check with others if Walayar is OK. Else Vaddakkencherry-Pollachi-Palladam-Karumathampatty
- Bypass CBE on the NH47
- Go via Karumathampatty-Annur-Mettupalayam
- Head to Conoor.
Had a nice trip to Coonoor. Followed NH47, bypass CBE and took Karumathampatty-Annur-Mettupalayam route. Started from Kalamassery at 12 45 PM on Friday and reached Coonoor by 7 PM with 30mins break in between.
Road is good till around Palakkad and then it's bouncy/uneven till L&T bypass.
Return was on Sunday morning and I took the direct route via Coimbatore City.
Old 24th March 2014, 20:51   #6624
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Road is good till around Palakkad and then it's bouncy/uneven till L&T bypass.
Return was on Sunday morning and I took the direct route via Coimbatore City.
Great to hear that. How was traffic at Palayar? Thats the only reason, I dread heading on NH47 on that stretch. (Thanks to trucks.)
Old 24th March 2014, 20:57   #6625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great to hear that. How was traffic at Palayar? Thats the only reason, I dread heading on NH47 on that stretch. (Thanks to trucks.)
There was a bit of slow moving traffic but no major issues. I reached bypass toll by around 4 30 PM (after 20 mins break near palakkad). While coming back (sunday noon) it was even less crowded.
Old 24th March 2014, 21:33   #6626
BHPian

I need to drive to Chennai from Thrissur and back during mid April. What would be the fastest/less crowded route considering holiday season and possible heavy traffic towards Kerala? If I start at around 5 30 AM from THrissur would it be possible to reach Chennai by 6 - 7 PM?
Old 24th March 2014, 21:46   #6627
BHPian

one question to folks who are regulars on the bangalore - kerala routes, do KA registered vehicles get stopped by cops for taxes etc as it happens with non KA vehicles in Bangalore? Just wanted to check and I plan to preserve the toll etc receipts anyways on my planned roadtrip to Kerala
Old 24th March 2014, 22:02   #6628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
one question to folks who are regulars on the bangalore - kerala routes, do KA registered vehicles get stopped by cops for taxes etc as it happens with non KA vehicles in Bangalore? Just wanted to check and I plan to preserve the toll etc receipts anyways on my planned roadtrip to Kerala
Have never been stopped in Kerala due to a ka regn. I don't think it is a concern. You probably need to be more worried about the large number of speed cameras that cover the main highways in Kerala now.
Old 24th March 2014, 22:41   #6629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I travel about twice a month between Bangalore and Wayanad, and I see very frequent checks by cops in the Kerala portion of NH212. But I don't think it is targeted at non Kerala (or Karnataka only) vehicles - almost everyone is stopped. But if you have all your papers in order (including PUC certificate), they don't ask any further questions.

I must have gone through these checks at least half a dozen times in the past year or two, but have never been questioned about why I'm driving in Kerala in a Karnataka registration vehicle.
Old 24th March 2014, 22:41   #6630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own a TN registered santro in bangalore. I have not been stopped in KL. In your case i dont expect you to be stopped. Anyways carry toll receipts along with the relevant car documents. Most important factor: watch out for your speed.

Most Viewed