Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2014, 22:58   #6631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover
I need to drive to Chennai from Thrissur and back during mid April. What would be the fastest/less crowded route considering holiday season and possible heavy traffic towards Kerala? If I start at around 5 30 AM from THrissur would it be possible to reach Chennai by 6 - 7 PM?
NH47-Salem-Ulundrupet-Chennai would be fastest and less crowded.

If you start at 5.30am, you can reach Chennai by 4-5pm max with breaks.
Old 25th March 2014, 05:11   #6632
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
I need to drive to Chennai from Thrissur and back during mid April. What would be the fastest/less crowded route considering holiday season and possible heavy traffic towards Kerala? If I start at around 5 30 AM from THrissur would it be possible to reach Chennai by 6 - 7 PM?
You should be able to reach easily. Its about 600km. If you start by 4, you should be able to reach by late noon. You just have to to beat the Walayar to CBE bypass traffic. Beyond that its smooth.

Trichir-Palakkad-CBE bypass- Salem-Ulundurpet-Tindivanam-Chennai
You should be able to make good progress beyond Avinashi as its 4-lane from there on.

Food stops can be had at Salem, Ulundurper, Tindivanam.

Last edited by ampere : 25th March 2014 at 05:34.
Old 25th March 2014, 09:01   #6633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I travel about twice a month between Bangalore and Wayanad, and I see very frequent checks by cops in the Kerala portion of NH212. But I don't think it is targeted at non Kerala (or Karnataka only) vehicles - almost everyone is stopped. But if you have all your papers in order (including PUC certificate), they don't ask any further questions.

I must have gone through these checks at least half a dozen times in the past year or two, but have never been questioned about why I'm driving in Kerala in a Karnataka registration vehicle.
Thanks, I usually keep xerox copies of my RC card and tax token and originals of DL, insurance and PUC. I hope thats not an issue
Old 25th March 2014, 09:06   #6634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
one question to folks who are regulars on the bangalore - kerala routes, do KA registered vehicles get stopped by cops for taxes etc as it happens with non KA vehicles in Bangalore? Just wanted to check and I plan to preserve the toll etc receipts anyways on my planned roadtrip to Kerala
I own two cars, one TN and one MH. I have entered Kerala multiple times with both these cars via NH 212. I have been stopped (for random checks) at least once every trip too. But never have the cops made an issue of the out-of-state registration. If you paperwork is in order (valid license, RC, insurance cover note, PUC certificate) and you are not carrying contraband (spirit for making hooch is something that is searched for usually; now with election season search is on for currency too) then you are good and get only courteous treatment from the KL cops.
Old 25th March 2014, 09:15   #6635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But never have the cops made an issue of the out-of-state registration. If you paperwork is in order (valid license, RC, insurance cover note, PUC certificate) and you are not carrying contraband
+1. It should never be an issue if things are in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I own two cars, one TN and one MH. I have entered Kerala multiple times with both these cars via NH 212. I have been stopped (for random checks) at least once every trip too.
Could not stop commenting on this! Nice spread
- TN and MH vehicles
- Stay in KA
- Drive to KL

A True National Integration!
Old 25th March 2014, 09:22   #6636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Could not stop commenting on this! Nice spread
- TN and MH vehicles
- Stay in KA
- Drive to KL

A True National Integration!
You don't know half of it. My driving license is issued in AP (Sec'bad RTO) and my address in the insurance cover notes are all of KA (Bangalore). And then I speak fluent Malayalam to them, despite not looking like the average Malayalee (I am usually clean shaven )
Old 25th March 2014, 09:52   #6637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I usually keep xerox copies of my RC card and tax token and originals of DL, insurance and PUC. I hope thats not an issue
You are supposed to carry the original RC not Xerox along with original insurance, PUC and DL. I also carry the original tax receipt.
Old 25th March 2014, 09:59   #6638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
You are supposed to carry the original RC not Xerox along with original insurance, PUC and DL. I also carry the original tax receipt.
That is not true. You are only required to prove that you are not driving the vehicle illegally; ie, its paperwork is in order. For that, a copy is just fine, so long as you undertake to produce the originals within 7 days.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:03   #6639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is not true. You are only required to prove that you are not driving the vehicle illegally; ie, its paperwork is in order. For that, a copy is just fine, so long as you undertake to produce the originals within 7 days.
Does that mean that if I am stopped and I have copies I will have to produce the originals to the local PS/RTO considering that I will be back in B'lore in 7 days time

I think carrying originals would be better then
Old 25th March 2014, 10:11   #6640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does that mean that if I am stopped and I have copies I will have to produce the originals to the local PS/RTO considering that I will be back in B'lore in 7 days time
Technically, it is up to the discretion of the inspector who stopped you. He can believe your copies, or he can enforce the 7-day rule. I am yet to see a cop who mandates the latter course.

On the other hand, if you are going out of state it is always a good idea to keep the original documents with you. There are other situations where you might be required to produce them (accidents, theft, vandalism, other insurance claim scenarios, ...)
Old 25th March 2014, 13:03   #6641
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Exploring a weekend to Valparai and Athirepally Falls. How is the road from Vaparai to Chalakudy understand the Drive is thrilling but will a hatch be able to negotiate the roads?
Old 25th March 2014, 13:11   #6642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Exploring a weekend to Valparai and Athirepally Falls. How is the road from Vaparai to Chalakudy understand the Drive is thrilling but will a hatch be able to negotiate the roads?
Its a standard road and a not trail. So definitely a hatch can make it. But yes roads around Valparai are a bit rough and patchy. Not sure if they have fixed it.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 13:48   #6643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Hello Friends,

Valparai to Athirapally falls is about 70 kms. Approx the first 10 kms or so, the road is rough. Then it is a pretty decent tarmac.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 14:19   #6644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its a standard road and a not trail. So definitely a hatch can make it. But yes roads around Valparai are a bit rough and patchy. Not sure if they have fixed it.
Road from Valparai to Kerala check post is bad and forest road condition depends on the monsoon. But this stretch should not pose any problem for a hatchback as I have done this stretch with my Alto. But provide for 2.30 hrs to 3 hrs from Valparai to Thrisur. Kerala forest department is particular about plastic items you carry and bottles are counted at both entry and exit points. And a big NO to liquor. Scenic during and immediately after monsoon. But may be very dry now. If you are travelling with kids, then better be careful about animals and stretch will be deserted for most part of the time. Better to have your lunch|breakfast before hitting the forest as you will not be allowed to stop inside the forest.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 15:19   #6645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Road from Valparai to Kerala check post is bad and forest road condition depends on the monsoon. But this stretch should not pose any problem for a hatchback as I have done this stretch with my Alto. But provide for 2.30 hrs to 3 hrs from Valparai to Thrisur. Kerala forest department is particular about plastic items you carry and bottles are counted at both entry and exit points. And a big NO to liquor. Scenic during and immediately after monsoon. But may be very dry now. If you are travelling with kids, then better be careful about animals and stretch will be deserted for most part of the time. Better to have your lunch|breakfast before hitting the forest as you will not be allowed to stop inside the forest.
The cars are allowed in groups in the forest area from checkpost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks