Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2014, 14:17   #6661
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

I plan a Banagalore-Trivandrum trip via Thenmala.
Please give me an update on the stretch from Thirumangalam-Rajapalayam-Thenmala-Kolathupuzha
Old 31st March 2014, 17:14   #6662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I plan a Banagalore-Trivandrum trip via Thenmala.
Please give me an update on the stretch from Thirumangalam-Rajapalayam-Thenmala-Kolathupuzha
Did this route during late December and the route was pretty decent and good tarmac all through the route. Only bottleneck could be the famous 'S' bend depending on the time of the day. And this period of the year will be relatively free of regular Courtalam and Sabarimala traffic.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 10:53   #6663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Did this route during late December and the route was pretty decent and good tarmac all through the route. Only bottleneck could be the famous 'S' bend depending on the time of the day. And this period of the year will be relatively free of regular Courtalam and Sabarimala traffic.
Thanks GoKrish. I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Trivandrum too (mid-April). I was planning to do the regular Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Madurai-Tirunelveli-Nagercoil-Trivandrum route. Is this one better in terms of the road surface (especially when compared to Nagercoil - Trivandrum)? How much more time will this one take? I don't mind spending an extra hour on road if the surface is good. I will be traveling with my daughter (5 years old) and mom (60 years old). Anything else that I need to take into account if I chose this route? Are there good restaurants on the way?
Old 1st April 2014, 18:12   #6664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat2kin View Post
I was planning to do the regular Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Madurai-Tirunelveli-Nagercoil-Trivandrum route. Is this one better in terms of the road surface (especially when compared to Nagercoil - Trivandrum)? How much more time will this one take? I don't mind spending an extra hour on road if the surface is good. I will be traveling with my daughter (5 years old) and mom (60 years old). Anything else that I need to take into account if I chose this route? Are there good restaurants on the way?
Though Madurai-Tirumangalam-Srivilliputhur-Rajapalayam-Kadayanallur-Tenkasi-Aryankavu route is scenic, the major bottleneck is that the entire stretch is just two lane (one lane for each direction) without any divider. Thus, overtaking may be an issue. And you should be beware of local private buses who are known for rash driving on this stretch. Compounding these problems would be absence of any decent restaurants on this stretch beyond Madurai except, may be,Tenkasi. However, NH 7 will be a bliss and the road till Nagercoil is good. Even most part of Nagercoil-Kanyakumari was good though again two laned, but still manageable. I would always prefer this route to the Tenkasi route.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 21:07   #6665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
However, NH 7 will be a bliss and the road till Nagercoil is good. Even most part of Nagercoil-Kanyakumari was good though again two laned, but still manageable. I would always prefer this route to the Tenkasi route.
Thanks again. You killed my confusion there , will stick to the regular route. Don't want to take a chance because my mom will be traveling along. BTW, 3am start from Bangalore sounds good to you?
Old 1st April 2014, 21:31   #6666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat2kin View Post
Anything else that I need to take into account if I chose this route? Are there good restaurants on the way?

Time your drive in such a way that you end up on the Nagaercoil-TVM during the least intrusive hour. That part of info you can get from seasoned TVM guys like @Pramodpk, @crazydriver etc.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 22:10   #6667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Time your drive in such a way that you end up on the Nagaercoil-TVM during the least intrusive hour. That part of info you can get from seasoned TVM guys like @Pramodpk, @crazydriver etc.
Before 8 AM and after 9 PM are the only times when I've found the Kerala part of this stretch less crowded. Its a torture at almost all other times.
Mistakenguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 23:40   #6668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
A short update on my Drive from Bangalore to Kodungallur -
Left from Thrissur at 1325 and reached home by 1400hrs. .
TCR to Kodungallur in 35 minutes? it took almost 35 minutes for me to reach Irinjalakuda on a Sunday morning 3 weeks back.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:15   #6669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It is a 4-day weekend, since 17/4 is election day in KA which would be declared a holiday. But I don't expect much crowds on KL roads between 11AM-4PM due to the summer weather. My expectation is that if I start from around 4 or 5 AM from Bangalore I should be comfortably home at Perumbavur before 5PM. Anyway, my reasons for not preferring dual carriageways are (in no particular order):

- I have had my fill of such roads over the past several years that I now prefer, in fact actively seek out single-carriageway roads wherever I go; and
- I am going to drive my f-i-l's Estillo which seems to suffer from personality disorders at speeds over 90 kmph and probably is best driven at a steady 70 kmph.

In fact, drives on single carriageway roads are a lot more leisurely and relaxed than on the dual carriageways, where everyone is in a hurry to get wherever they are off to.
Hi Binand,

Me too planning an Early start may be around 4am from Bangalore (KR Puram) on 17th as I would be driving down to Kerala since it would be a long holiday.
I would be driving my 2002 Santro and hence planning not to exceed 70-80 kmph via the Ch. Nagar - Gudalur, as this would be a scenic route .
The drive would be either to Thrissur (my home) or Kuttippuram (Wifey's house) - TBD.

Where would you commencing your trip from?
I have not driven down this Road yet and hence no idea on the Road / Traffic conditions.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:39   #6670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Me too planning an Early start may be around 4am from Bangalore (KR Puram) on 17th.

Where would you commencing your trip from?

I have not driven down this Road yet and hence no idea on the Road / Traffic conditions.
I am starting on 18/4, since I need to vote on 17/4. My plan is to start around 6 AM. My trip starts from Marathahalli.

It would be good if you could PM/email/WhatsApp me anything that you feel I ought to know. If OK, I'll PM you the details.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:56   #6671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
TCR to Kodungallur in 35 minutes? it took almost 35 minutes for me to reach Irinjalakuda on a Sunday morning 3 weeks back.
My best on that route is 20 minutes - but that was at night, after a Harthal! Seriously speaking, 35 minutes is very much doable, especially during afternoons. Morning/Evenings will take closer to 50 minutes (or more).
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:05   #6672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I am starting on 18/4, since I need to vote on 17/4. My plan is to start around 6 AM. My trip starts from Marathahalli.

It would be good if you could PM/email/WhatsApp me anything that you feel I ought to know. If OK, I'll PM you the details.
Oh so you are exercising your Vote here, cool!

Well I have PMed you the Details.
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:41   #6673
Senior - BHPian

What do you have to say for an evening trip to Kerala, starting at about 1600hrs, via Kanakpura road, malavalli, Sathyamangalam, CBE?

Are there any safety concerns?
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:58   #6674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
What do you have to say for an evening trip to Kerala, starting at about 1600hrs, via Kanakpura road, malavalli, Sathyamangalam, CBE?

I would say avoid night drive to Sathy. Very low of facilities. Not worth it I would say.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:15   #6675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post

I second Ampere. These are the risks involved:
- Wild animals venture out after dusk, you wouldn't want to be staring at a lone tusker, God forbid.
- No options for food, rest rooms after you cross Chamarajnagar, until you descend the Dhimbam ghat
- Some trucks breakdown on the ghat section, causing blocks. Such a block at night is not a good thing to encounter

Stick to the NH-7 & NH-47 route all along. You'll enter Kerala territory after 10 o'clock, with a couple of short breaks.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks