Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 19:16   #6691
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Thank you "coolclouds" "silversteed" and "suresh_gs" for those valuable tips. Much appreciated. As suggested, will stick to NH47/NH7 itself. Have noted down all your recommended pit stops.
Old 7th April 2014, 20:10   #6692
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83 View Post
Thank you "coolclouds" "silversteed" and "suresh_gs" for those valuable tips. Much appreciated. As suggested, will stick to NH47/NH7 itself. Have noted down all your recommended pit stops.
If you need a real good quality stop over, look at Park Plaza in Salem. Amazing place this hotel. Also Grand Estancia is no more a GRT property. It also does not seem that nice now. Check out Park Plaza. (That is of course if you are willing to splurge).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 08:59   #6693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Actually my motive is to reduce the travel time. My parents are reluctant to go by road and want to fly to Kochi, but I am trying to convince them otherwise as its 4 on board and lots of cost saving can be done.

The route you suggested shows more running time than the Mysore route on google maps!
IMHO, Google maps shows only a very rough estimate of the travel time. A longer distance does not always mean increased running time. I've tried all the 3 routes, and despite the reduced distance, the shortest route viz., via Gudallur took me longer than the NH7 & NH47 route.

Quote:
I have been on the regular route earlier in 2008 and cannot complain much except too much traffic between Bhavani and Coimbatore [BTW is that stretch still single lane] and after Palakkad [which is also single lane I guess]. I am Actually going to Raja island which is closer via Mysore route, Google Shows 405 kms and Salem route it shows 503, which is a big difference.

And I am very concerned about the road conditions which ever route I take, my parents cannot take bad roads, the car is a E280 CDI. So I better be careful.
Since you are concerned about the road conditions, I would strongly recommend you to stick to the NH7-NH47 route. In brief:
Bangalore-Hosur - Generally good, 4-lane, but some construction ongoing
Hosur-Krishnagiri - 6-laned, excellent
Krishnagiri-Salem-Avinashi - 4-laned, excellent
Avinashi-Neelambur - 4-laned for the most part, but unmarked, some deviations
Neelambur-Madukkarai - 2-laned, good surface
Madukkarai-Walayar- 2-laned, rough and patchy surface, a few deviations
Walayar and beyond - good surface, some deviations.

Instead of going via Mannuthy, you may want to take the Ottapalam (Pattambi-Kunnamkulam or Shornur-Wadakkancherry-Kechery-Choondal) route. The surface is excellent, but traffic is as thick as the NH-47.

You have a good car, enjoy driving it on the 4-laned roads
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 13:42   #6694
BHPian

I remember someone mentioning the below route to avoid walayar check post congestion but could not dig out the thread (managed to get the map link from google). Can anyone who has used this route, please comment on this as I am planning for a trip to Palakkad and would be passing through Walayar area by midnight. Last time I got stuck in the CP for almost 45 minutes and I don't want to take the Palladam route during late night time.

http://goo.gl/maps/f4jAq
Old 8th April 2014, 14:46   #6695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
I remember someone mentioning the below route to avoid walayar check post congestion but could not dig out the thread (managed to get the map link from google). Can anyone who has used this route, please comment on this as I am planning for a trip to Palakkad and would be passing through Walayar area by midnight. Last time I got stuck in the CP for almost 45 minutes and I don't want to take the Palladam route during late night time.

http://goo.gl/maps/f4jAq
I've done that route, and it's fine. But, be warned that if some trucks decide to take this alternate route after seeing a jam at Walayar, then you'll end up losing more time.

If your destination is Kottayi (as seen from the map), then you can take the Velanthavalam-Athicode-Chittur-Koduvayur-Kuzhalmannam-Mathur route to avoid all traffic
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 15:31   #6696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I've done that route, and it's fine. But, be warned that if some trucks decide to take this alternate route after seeing a jam at Walayar, then you'll end up losing more time.

If your destination is Kottayi (as seen from the map), then you can take the Velanthavalam-Athicode-Chittur-Koduvayur-Kuzhalmannam-Mathur route to avoid all traffic
Thanks Silversteed. Actually my destination is Mankara. So do you think it is worth trying velanthavalam-Athicode-Chittur-Koduvayur-Kuzhalmannam-Mathur route? If so, is this the correct route http://goo.gl/maps/f0TEX ? Also, is there any landmark where I should take the diversion from NH47 to reach velanthavalam ?
Old 8th April 2014, 15:45   #6697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Thanks Silversteed. Actually my destination is Mankara. So do you think it is worth trying velanthavalam-Athicode-Chittur-Koduvayur-Kuzhalmannam-Mathur route? If so, is this the correct route http://goo.gl/maps/f0TEX ? Also, is there any landmark where I should take the diversion from NH47 to reach velanthavalam ?
The Gmaps link shows the correct route. You turn off the NH47 at KG Chavadi, after the TN Checkpost, and then follow the road. The only deviation you'd need, is at Koduvayur, where you turn Right towards Kuzhalmannam.

But, do you really want to try this route late at night? I'd suggest you stick to the Walayar route itself. I haven't heard of anyone mentioning a bad traffic jam at midnight, of late.
Old 9th April 2014, 16:02   #6698
Senior - BHPian

Nilambur route is in good shape.

Vazhikadavu to Gudallur ghat section is almost relaid and its a breeze.

Some bad stretches around Theppekadu, may be some 600-700 meters in total.

As usual, high day time traffic between Vazhikadavu and Trichur.

It was very pleasant weather, may be because of yesterday's rain.
coolclouds is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 08:20   #6699
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
As usual, high day time traffic between Vazhikadavu and Trichur.
It was very pleasant weather, may be because of yesterday's rain.
Great news ! Which route did you take to Perinthalmanna from Nilambur? Edavanna/Wandoor or Kalikavu/Melatoor?
Old 10th April 2014, 09:05   #6700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Great news ! Which route did you take to Perinthalmanna from Nilambur? Edavanna/Wandoor or Kalikavu/Melatoor?
I took Wandoor route.
Old 10th April 2014, 10:05   #6701
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I took Wandoor route.
Long back (years) I had tried the Melatoor road. One of the best roads then. It was awesome fun driving on those winding butter smooth roads, no traffic, all way to Gudalur.
Old 10th April 2014, 14:56   #6702
BHPian

Did the following route y'day from Perumbavoor to Bangalore:

Perumbavoor > Alathur > Pollachi > Palladam > Kangeyam > Sankari > Palacode > Rayakottai > TVS Factory > Attibelle > Hoodi

Total distance : 515kms
Total Time : 10hr 30mins (started by ~9:30AM) including ~1.5hrs for all breaks
Tolls : 50/- (Paliekkara, kerala) + 83/- (Thoppur, tamilnadu)
Roads are butter smooth except few kms in between.

Google Map and Sygic MapMyIndia were showing almost the same route:

https://www.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...=en&dg=feature

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 10th April 2014 at 14:59.
Old 10th April 2014, 16:08   #6703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Did the following route y'day from Perumbavoor to Bangalore:

Perumbavoor > Alathur > Pollachi > Palladam > Kangeyam > Sankari > Palacode > Rayakottai > TVS Factory > Attibelle > Hoodi

Total distance : 515kms
Total Time : 10hr 30mins (started by ~9:30AM) including ~1.5hrs for all breaks
Tolls : 50/- (Paliekkara, kerala) + 83/- (Thoppur, tamilnadu)
Roads are butter smooth except few kms in between.
How is the road condition from Attibele to TVS factory and beyond. Whenever i have traveled on this stretch, invariably it is pathetic
Old 10th April 2014, 16:22   #6704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
How is the road condition from Attibele to TVS factory and beyond. Whenever i have traveled on this stretch, invariably it is pathetic
I forgot to add, Attibelle till TVS factory and a few kms more in between near rayakottai, the road is bit patchy with potholes, only the low GC sedans may have to go slow, but the remaining stretch is pretty good . Moreover the tarring of SH17 is going on and at few places ~4 or 5 places its very bad due to digging \ cross canal work. But the road condition is not like the worse attibelle-hosur NH. Also this route goes through the towns, its recommended to avoid during a festival season.

On a side note, even NH is not spared from the local festivals, y'day near thoppur, had a bumper to bumper traffic due to a local festival.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 10th April 2014 at 16:25.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 17:26   #6705
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Cochin - Blore (NH47/NH7). Roads are all good except for few sections. Surprised to see Thrissur - Palghat section with zero potholes after many years. (15 kms just before Palghat is a bit patchy). Krishnagiri - Hosur is now 6 lane but traffic was as usual after entering Hosur. Some pics:

Thrissur-Palghat
All Roads to Kerala-20140410_050030.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140410_050048.jpg

Krishnagiri - Hosur
All Roads to Kerala-20140410_105951.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140410_110110.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140410_110410.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140410_111221.jpg

naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks