Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2014, 20:04   #6706
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Did a Bangalore-Kochi long circuit on 12th along with a friend.

Bangalore-Salem-Erode-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Marayur-Munnar-Adimaly-Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha-Piravom-Mulanthuruthy-Ernakulam.

Had lot of time and some work on the way hence this route.

Roads in good condition all over. Could notice the roads inside Chinnar wildlife sanctuary patched up recently. There are some broken stretches just before Munnar town.

Left Bangalore at 1 am and reached home at 4pm with many stops.
Old 13th April 2014, 21:35   #6707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did a Bangalore-Kochi long circuit on 12th along with a friend.

Bangalore-Salem-Erode-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Marayur-Munnar-Adimaly-Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha-Piravom-Mulanthuruthy-Ernakulam.

Had lot of time and some work on the way hence this route.

Roads in good condition all over. Could notice the roads inside Chinnar wildlife sanctuary patched up recently. There are some broken stretches just before Munnar town.

Left Bangalore at 1 am and reached home at 4pm with many stops.
I see no reason why you have to go via Erode unless and otherwise you have some work out there.
Old 13th April 2014, 23:06   #6708
Team-BHP Support

Another option to Munnar that I can think off instead of Perundurai is to drive till Karur bypass and here exit the 4-lane take the direct SH to Dharapuram. Equally good roads on this sector as well.
Old 14th April 2014, 10:53   #6709
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Anyone out here recently completed a trip via the Mysore / ChmrjNgr route to Nilambur side?
Appreciate if you could share details on the present condition of this Route and suggest which is best via Mys or via ChmrjNgr.
Me planning a trip with family to Thrissur / Ponnani via this Route on 17th with a 5am start from BLR.
Prefer this route for a Relaxed & scenic drive.
Kindly suggest tried / tested eateries enroute as well please.

Note: I have put this question here couple of months back, however would like to know the current updates & situation of this Route
Old 14th April 2014, 11:00   #6710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Anyone out here recently completed a trip via the Mysore / ChmrjNgr route to Nilambur side?

Me planning a trip with family to Thrissur / Ponnani via this Route on 17th with a 5am start from BLR.
This is the most recent update I have seen:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3409537

17/4 is voting day in KA; so if you have your name in the electoral rolls here please consider voting and then starting your trip. Polling stations open at 7 AM, so the delay for you would be only about 2.5 hours.

Also, please post your route experience, as I am taking this road on 18/4 to Perumbavur.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 11:14   #6711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is the most recent update I have seen:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3409537

17/4 is voting day in KA; so if you have your name in the electoral rolls here please consider voting and then starting your trip. Polling stations open at 7 AM, so the delay for you would be only about 2.5 hours.

Also, please post your route experience, as I am taking this road on 18/4 to Perumbavur.
Hi Binand,

We had already cast our vote last week in Kerala.
We do have our names both here as well as in native, however as it is illegal to vote twice as per Indian Law, I intend to refrain myself from doing so!
Thanks for your suggestion though & I would indeed update you on the status, 17th evening.
BTW why would you plan this route for Perumbavur? Are you opting for a scenic route too?
Old 14th April 2014, 11:28   #6712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
We do have our names both here as well as in native, however as it is illegal to vote twice as per Indian Law, I intend to refrain myself from doing so!

BTW why would you plan this route for Perumbavur? Are you opting for a scenic route too?
Having your name in the electoral rolls of two locations in itself is (here I'm quoting) "violation of section 31 of representation of people act, 1950 and is punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year, or with fine, or with both."

As for my choice of route - I just want to have a leisurely drive through the countryside.
Old 14th April 2014, 11:33   #6713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Having your name in the electoral rolls of two locations in itself is (here I'm quoting) "violation of section 31 of representation of people act, 1950 and is punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year, or with fine, or with both."

As for my choice of route - I just want to have a leisurely drive through the countryside.
I do agree, binand. Hence this was my last vote in Kerala.
I have already placed a request to have my name removed from the list there after casting this vote & the enrollment in Bangalore is Fresh. So will consider using this from the Next Election.

I hope this route brings a cheer to our face post the drive..!
Old 15th April 2014, 13:13   #6714
BHPian

Planning to drive from Thekkady to Kovalam on 19th (after spending a couple of days at the reserve from 17th - 19th) and google maps show 'Main Eastern Hwy - 240 kms) which is the route via elappara - peruvanthanam - mundakayam - erumeli - ranny - pathanamthitta - pathanapuram - punalur - killimanur - atingal - kazhakottam - kovalam

however, after reading thru a number of posts, the guidance seems to be Main central road which go through eratupetta - kottayam - changanassery - chenganur - adoor - kottakara - kazhakottam

so my question is if the 1st option isnt popular enough and why? My criterion is
scenic drive - less traffic - good roads - distance - in this order.

Great if someone can suggest. Also dont plan to leave thekkady early on 19th but definitely by noon. Will have the wife as companion
Old 15th April 2014, 13:45   #6715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246
Hi Guys,

Appreciate if you could share details on the present condition of this Route and suggest which is best via Mys or via ChmrjNgr
Gudallur-Nilambur is in excellent condition except for a small stretch aftrr Theppekkadu. Vazhikadavu ghat road relaid recently.
Old 15th April 2014, 14:02   #6716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Great if someone can suggest. Also dont plan to leave thekkady early on 19th but definitely by noon. Will have the wife as companion
I would suggest the Kanjirapally-Changanassery-Adoor-Kottakara option.

But I dont know about a good interior road from Kanjirapally to Changanassery bypassing Kottayam.
Old 15th April 2014, 15:17   #6717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Planning to drive from Thekkady to Kovalam on 19th (after spending a couple of days at the reserve from 17th - 19th) and google maps show 'Main Eastern Hwy - 240 kms) which is the route via elappara - peruvanthanam - mundakayam - erumeli - ranny - pathanamthitta - pathanapuram - punalur - killimanur - atingal - kazhakottam - kovalam

however, after reading thru a number of posts, the guidance seems to be Main central road which go through eratupetta - kottayam - changanassery - chenganur - adoor - kottakara - kazhakottam

so my question is if the 1st option isnt popular enough and why? My criterion is
scenic drive - less traffic - good roads - distance - in this order.

Mundakkayam to Pathanamthitta (via Erumely-Ranni) has always been in very good shape whenever I have travelled that way and has scenic roads (although quite curvy) and lower traffic than NH220/MC road most times in the year (the exception being the Sabarimala season when it is quite crowded).

You can generally reach Pathanamthitta in much less time than it would take you to get to Changanacherry via Ponkunnam-Vazhoor- Karukachal. Also the stretch of MC road between Changanacherry and Chengannur is generally a nightmare in terms of road conditions and traffic, and escaping that would be an added attraction of taking the route via Ranni.

South of Pathanamthitta I'm not sure which would be the preferred route. I have a feeling Pathanamthitta-Adoor-Kottarakkara-Trivandrum may be faster than going via Pathanapuram-Punalur or Pathanapuram-Kottarakkara - but can't vouch for it.
Old 15th April 2014, 21:22   #6718
Distinguished - BHPian

As reported earlier, Thrissur - Palghat is in excellent condition except for few sections where they have patched it. Few sections are now 4 lane and the tarmac is smooth.

Cochin - Bangalore (started at 4am, reached Koramangala at 12pm with 45min break)
Bangalore - Cochin (Started at 10.30am, reached Vytilla at 7.15pm with 1.15hr break)

Toll Details

Thrissur - 50/-
Coimbatore Bypass - 31/-
Kumarapalayam - 47/-
Salem - 52/-
Omalur - 67/-
Krishnagiri Thopur - 83/-
Krishnagiri Toll - 60/-
Attibele - 25/-
Elevated Highway - 40/-

Patched sections - Palghat

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_164148.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_164152.jpg

4 lane section

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_161732.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_165700.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_165712.jpg

Thrissur - Palghat

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_170836.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_170923.jpg

Now for the best section - KUTHIRAN

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_171645.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_171726.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_171737.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_171747.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_171754.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-20140415_171758.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 01:12   #6719
Senior - BHPian

I have to take my relative to KR Nagar near Mysore(to visit Unani orthopaedic Mehboob Khan). from Muvattupuzha, which is the best route? also is, night travelling possible so that we can reach early morning. a google maps link is welcome.
Old 16th April 2014, 07:25   #6720
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I have to take my relative to KR Nagar near Mysore(to visit Unani orthopaedic Mehboob Khan). from Muvattupuzha, which is the best route? also is, night travelling possible so that we can reach early morning. a google maps link is welcome.
There are two options:

- One via Nilambur/Gudalur.
- Second via CBE.

And now are very good.

MVPA - Chalakudy - Trichur - Shoranur - Pattambi - Perinthalmanna - Wandoor - Nilambur - Gudalur - Bandipur - Mysore - KR Nagar

Route Link

Second Options :

MVPA - Chalakudy - Trichur - Kuthiran - Palakkad - CBE Bypass - Karumathampatty - Annur - Sathy - Dimbam - Chamarajanagar - Nanjangud - Mysore - KR Nagar

Route Link

Advantage with second is its low on ghat roads. Also note both the roads are equally good in conditions. See posts by @coolclouds and @naveen.

Last edited by ampere : 16th April 2014 at 07:36.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks